Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DOOP posted:

Haas will be interested in whatever series allows him to sell the most CNC machines

You bet your rear end I'd buy a Haas CNC if I was in the market.

Side note: If you want V8s go watch an old race or try some sim racing.

We've been getting good racing, fast latptimes, and people are still bitching about loving engine noise.

The current formula engines sound :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
There's no problem with the engines, it was just an unnecessary and ultra expensive change that hasn't changed the racing in any way whatsoever.

That money would've been better spent designing cars that can actually pass each other without stupid gimmicks like DRS.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I presume that would involve limiting aero, is there some reason the teams don't want to limit aero?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I presume that would involve limiting aero, is there some reason the teams don't want to limit aero?

Probably because it's the only thing that differentiates the cars and without it F1 might as well be a spec series.

Also because it would slow the cars down.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

td4guy posted:

Bernie's at it again, haha!
I thought that was basically what pay drivers did. Brought money (indirectly, through sponsorship agreements) to their teams and did not collect a paycheck for themselves? Or do I not understand how pay drivers work?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Going back a bit, the loophole, such as it was, allowed multiple teams to share the same 3rd party supplier of those listed items. This is how the Red Bull/STR thing worked as both bought stuff from entirely separate company "Red Bull Technologies".

What I'm saying is Red Bull sold them wings.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They're still above Manor aren't they?

In the championship? Yes. Just.

In performance? Nah. And Manor are likely to develop better.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

In other news, Are Max (v1.0) took his ladyfriend out for a nice jaunt up the Goodwood hill in that NASCAR thingymajobby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhf1pGAkZX4

Oh hey and a bit about the Lotus 88 twin-chassis car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtkRcqvGaU

andyf fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 5, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

re: customer cars and teams bitching, Williams started out that way and when Sauber joined in 1993 they were widely ras 'Mercedes in disguise'

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Dudley posted:

In performance? Nah. And Manor are likely to develop better.

They may keep splitting the Manors, because the Very Popular Indonesian looks like one of the worst drivers who's been on the grid in some time. So far, at least. He slow and bad.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
IMO every team* this year will score at least one point.

*that is every team that runs the whole season, RIP Sauber

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Brazilian press says Sauber is going to be sold and Fiat/Ferrari are going to pick up the team as Alfa Romeo.

http://flaviogomes.grandepremio.uol.com.br/2016/04/sobre-ontem-no-almoco/

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Manufacturers are dead. Long live the manufacturers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Riso posted:

Brazilian press says Sauber is going to be sold and Fiat/Ferrari are going to pick up the team as Alfa Romeo.

http://flaviogomes.grandepremio.uol.com.br/2016/04/sobre-ontem-no-almoco/

Wasn't the rumor a little while back that this exact thing was going to happen to Torro Rosso?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

track day bro! posted:

Wasn't the rumor a little while back that this exact thing was going to happen to Torro Rosso?

Mattershitz has Toro Rosso permanently up for sale but no one wants to pay 300 million. Rumours were that the engine deal with toro rosso was that if red bull were unable to get an engine then Ferrari would buy them (TR) cut price and re brand as alfa.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
they'll probably retain the Sauber name and call it Sauber Alfa-Romeo or something silly like that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

There's no problem with the engines, it was just an unnecessary and ultra expensive change that hasn't changed the racing in any way whatsoever.

That money would've been better spent designing cars that can actually pass each other without stupid gimmicks like DRS.

dude.

repeat after me:

there is no F1 without money

the manufacturers bring most of the money

the manufacturers wouldn't be involved without the new engines

unless you have a brilliant solution to make F1 run on hopes and dreams, please stop making the same tired post.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It seems to me that F1s recent problems stem from the deal Bernie made with the teams a few years ago to prevent them from forming their own series. Once Bernie gave up some of his power, F1 went from a dictatorship to a messy system where different players get a different percentage of the votes. The result is that nothing gets done unless it's unanimous.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sort of, it actually all stems form a failed attempt to float F1 on the Turkish stock exchange. There was no formal prize giving or money distribution structure before that, you got what you were given by Bernie, but in order to get the legal go ahead from the Turkish government Bernie had to put what we have now together, smaller teams signed because it made it much easier to attract investors and take out loans when they didn't have to say "I dunno how much we get it depends on how Bernie feels"

CVC is trying to get rid of all it's shares asap because this agreement is null and void in 2020 and the teams can rightfully say "48% for doing what exactly? gently caress off"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Wait what?

Why the turkish stock exchange?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CVC's has sold their stake down from 60 to 30% over the years, but their agreement still gives them majority voting rights, so their shares are worth an enormous amount of money. i think it's more that they're selling high, not that they think the new concorde agreement is going to screw them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have absolutely no idea. Ted did some digging in a heroic attempt to find out how we got to the point we are at now and discovered that everything from the voting system to the payout all stems from this.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

learnincurve posted:

Old Ferrari would not have left but if the 250 odd billion pounds they have spent on development turns out to have been on engine shaped paperweights, then fiat owned Ferrari will most certainly tell Bernie to gently caress off and start it's own race series/ go WEC.

Ferrari is no longer owned by FIAT. FCA (FIAT-Chrysler Automobiles) divested itself of Ferrari with the last bit of paperwork making Ferrari an independent company once again taking effect on January 3rd of this year.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

td4guy posted:

Bernie's at it again, haha!

Bernie shouldn't be allowed to consume oxygen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Ferrari is no longer owned by FIAT. FCA (FIAT-Chrysler Automobiles) divested itself of Ferrari with the last bit of paperwork making Ferrari an independent company once again taking effect on January 3rd of this year.

FCA shareholders still own like 90% of ferrari

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kilonum posted:

Would be nice but sadly FIAT sold 23% of the shares to Exor who are their own parent company, Piero Ferrari got 24% and together they control the company which is why Sergio Marchionne is still running the show.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-a6802296.html

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I prefer Mate Shits

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Massive poo poo or Massa's poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I prefer humandogshit

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fiat is not giving up Ferrari.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

IPOs are just a cash grab now. No sane person is going to feed their golden goose to the wolves that are shareholders.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

daslog posted:

It seems to me that F1s recent problems stem from the deal Bernie made with the teams a few years ago to prevent them from forming their own series. Once Bernie gave up some of his power, F1 went from a dictatorship to a messy system where different players get a different percentage of the votes. The result is that nothing gets done unless it's unanimous.

They are designing a camel by committee. As much as he is scary, having that dictator in place for the rules should be a good thing provided that they listen to all options then make the correct but potentially unpopular choice.

But that's a big LOL....of course they make the choice on money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that they do currently have two dictators, Bernie and Todt, and they are both batshit insane, power hungry, out of touch with what the fans want, don't care what the drivers want, don't care what the teams want and seem to be living in the 1980s. Right now no one can vote on anything that those two don't propose. This is why they keep giving teams a choice, vote for something really out there or vote for the thing they want to get though. If they wanted to they could say things like "vote for a reverse grid or vote for a knock out qualifying" or " vote to keep knock out qualifying as it is or vote for a modified version" and then when teams refuse to do so they can act all innocent and go "it was the team's choice! We were willing to work with them but this inability to make decisions is why we need more power!"

our only hope of getting rid of this pair of old wankers is either that Bernie finally dies a natural death and Todt ends up as a suspicions lump under the Parabolica, or there are people who want their jobs waiting for the right moment to stab them in the back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hell bring back Jean-Marie

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

Sort of, it actually all stems form a failed attempt to float F1 on the Turkish stock exchange. There was no formal prize giving or money distribution structure before that, you got what you were given by Bernie, but in order to get the legal go ahead from the Turkish government Bernie had to put what we have now together, smaller teams signed because it made it much easier to attract investors and take out loans when they didn't have to say "I dunno how much we get it depends on how Bernie feels"

CVC is trying to get rid of all it's shares asap because this agreement is null and void in 2020 and the teams can rightfully say "48% for doing what exactly? gently caress off"

It was the Singapore stock exchange. Not the Turkish.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhNEgBc66A

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

runoverbobby posted:

They may keep splitting the Manors, because the Very Popular Indonesian looks like one of the worst drivers who's been on the grid in some time. So far, at least. He slow and bad.

Yeah, thankfully at that end of the grid it's usually about 2 or 3 good results that get them points. In a most people finish race, Pascal's going to be in and around that area all year. Both Saubers will be require a lot of luck.

The advantage they have is, if a batshit race, like Monaco 2014 comes up, they've got 2 chances in the game against just Pascal for Manor.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

Master Race Max (mosley) seemed like he might genuinely know how to run things right, which is why i assume he's not in it anymore

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The mid pack racing has been pretty good so I have been enjoying that I guess. Even if the front of the pack is a waste of time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed, cheesetriangles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
F1 has been, dare I say it, better than IndyCar so far.

• Locked thread