Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Erg posted:

So are you just ignoring that was a joke or?

He can't tell the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door because it's been a while since I last played through it, and I had a realization: All of the chapters are different movie genres. TTYD is just Mario in a bunch of different movies.

Chapter 1: High Fantasy (Dragon tormenting small town)
Chapter 2: Magical Fantasy for Kids (a bunch of little things that live in a tree which is being taken over)
Chapter 3: Professional Wrestling/Comic Book Action (GLITZ PIT BABY)
Chapter 4: Horror (Phantasm steals your identity in a town permanently in twilight)
Chapter 5: Pirates! (A ship headed towards buried treasure on an island that is guarded by a pirate ghost)
Chapter 6: Detective Mystery (Agatha Christie, right down to the train!)
Chapter 7: Sci-Fi (Fighting a science fiction army at their moon base)

And the wraparound is a classic Video Game RPG story (a spirit locked away for a thousand years after a city-burying catastrophe is on the verge of being let out, and the heroes are trying to collect 7 doohickeys to stop an evil organization hell-bent on ruling the world from controlling said spirit.)

While I think some individual chapters have pacing problems (glitz pit's battlebattlebattle and twilight town's backtracking), the game as a whole has some really great tonal variety. It's good

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Louisgod posted:

He can't tell the difference

i think jivjov is playing along actually because he mentioned boring "lazy gameplay port" cute clay kirby and mario "lmao did you buy this" random number generator machine 10

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

While I think some individual chapters have pacing problems (glitz pit's battlebattlebattle and twilight town's backtracking), the game as a whole has some really great tonal variety. It's good

I like TTYD, but Twilight Town was a painful slog that should never have made it to the final game. All you do is backtrack between two locations, crossing a handful of screens between, over and over and over again.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I like TTYD, but Twilight Town was a painful slog that should never have made it to the final game. All you do is backtrack between two locations, crossing a handful of screens between, over and over and over again.

Twilight Town's backtracking is over-rated. Its only confusing if you back track an extra time or two because you didnt exhaust all the dialogue before doing so, or talk to the right npc before doing so to trigger the next story event. Yes its annoying to go over those 3 maps 4-ish times. But the glitzpit is a basically a pixel hunt in a gigantic town of dumb wrestling content where you have to find the right npc to talk to far more often.

Twilight Town takes like an hour on replay and is straightforward, you have like 2 unavoidable battles and you might run into amazee daisys to get a bunch of sweet experience from. You're explicitly given a partner that lets you duck out of battles.

Glitzpit its so easy to forget which shop / corner of the arena / battle / locker room / vent / wherever you're supposed to go to and every arena battle is unavoidable and has far more long slogging intros than accidentally bumping into a twilight town enemy and running away. Wrestling Wroadblock Town takes like 2-3 hours even for a seasoned vet :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Maybe TTYD isn't actually as good a game as people remember and is actually the 3rd best game after 64 and Super.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Pa-er Mario's backtracking cha-ters were -retty eh too, being Shy Guy's Toy Box and Flower Fields. The Toy Box and Glitz Pit both fit into something I enjoyed the conce-t of but wasn't the biggest fan of the execution.

I don't know how they didn't learn their lesson from Flower Fields with Twilight Town though. All that backtracking was horrible in both. Fuckin Rosie forces you to backtrack to her twice because she'll only save her friends life if you find something -retty.

TTYD also had General White. The games took jokes a bit too far sometimes, like me and this Doo-liss gimmick.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I think the only reason most people like TTYD is for the world and the writing and not really the game part of the game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bass Bottles posted:

Nintendo officially denied the rumors that they were stopping Wii U production, btw

They could be lying but it's sort of a yes or no thing so idk.
All I really care about is when they finally decide to pull the plug on Super Mario Maker, cause that will effectively turn a massive game into an expensive coaster instantly

Not gonna be soon though considering they just updated it again not long at all ago

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
We need Paper Mario 1 with Paper Mario 2's combat system, that would be a perfect game

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Pokkén Tournament all came out on Wii U in the last 20 months. None of those are "real games" to you?

None of those games actually exist.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What about Devil's Third.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Let's face it; if you don't believe the official statements, why do you believe a random "my uncle told me" rumor?

The "My Uncle Told Me" rumor is from a well respected Japanese business publication that has gotten this stuff right before. People don't believe the official statement because this exact thing has happened before (Source reports something, Nintendo says no, the thing actually happens)

It's happened enough times that people expect a continued pattern. The real life example I can think of was Nintendo of America denying that there would be a remake of Pokemon Gold and Silver... after there were already pictures of Heart Gold in Japanese media.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The real giveaway should be that Japan has been low on Wii U stock basically all year and Nintendo seems content to let it stay that way, even when it's detrimental to the continued sales of their hot console games (Splatoon, Mario Maker).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I started playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door because it's been a while since I last played through it, and I had a realization: All of the chapters are different movie genres. TTYD is just Mario in a bunch of different movies.
It's very clear that it's actually a bunch of theatre plays. :colbert:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Nintendo didn't actually refute the rumour in their statement.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Nintendo also said they'd continue Support of the Wii and Gameboy Advance when the WiiU and DS came out in their respective years. All that means is that anything already in production will be completed then they sell off the rest of their stock. I'm just hoping vc purchases transfer over. That and digital purchases in general. There's no precedent as far as I know but I have a bunch of retail games downloaded to my WiiU and 3DS and it would really suck to lose them for the great opportunity to repurchase them at the same cost five years later with the video fam equivalent of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe TTYD isn't actually as good a game as people remember and is actually the 3rd best game after 64 and Super.

Listen, I've been aghast at the insane TTYD fandom for a while now, but this is an insanely hosed up thing to say

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol suddenly it's cool to hate on TTYD because in spooky town you have to backtrack twice.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I think the only reason most people like TTYD is for the world and the writing and not really the game part of the game.

Hello Hi I like TTYD for the gameplay (which, I assume you mean to refer to the combat system + overworld + town + dungeon stuff). Only real negative I ever had was General White, which yeah it does go on too long, but the chapter after that is really cool and it's not a very long section and is pretty far into the game itself.

And Twilight Town really isn't that bad. It's crazy that the minimal amount of backtracking you have to do (which is both super quick and super easy) is what people focus on even though lots of popular games have worse backtracking. Or at least, even if you didn't like, it's really not enough to call the chapter overall or the game itself bad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Raserys posted:

Listen, I've been aghast at the insane TTYD fandom for a while now, but this is an insanely hosed up thing to say

SPM is an incredibly cool and good game and PM64 is perfect.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jivjov posted:

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Super Mario Maker, Yoshi Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Pokkén Tournament all came out on Wii U in the last 20 months. None of those are "real games" to you?

I wonder sometimes what goes on in that head of yours, jivjov.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Let's not go crazy here

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

SPM is an incredibly cool and good game and PM64 is perfect.

Nah super paper mario was a bad platformer and bad rpg.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some sort of embargo seems to have gone up, because tons of gameplay videos of Star Fox Zero just hit youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4UD7dTWmg
(there's more on this channel if you want em, I'm not embedding them all here)

This game has managed to look better and better the more they show it (and I guess they have actually improved it too since the e3 showing). I think I'm actually pretty excited for it now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eurogamer just posted an article called "There's no need to worry about Star Fox Zero's strange controls", including a 10 minutes video of the thing in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpSZPgqxTiA

It's obviously better than having the game xplained to you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I thought gamexplain died, am I thinking of gametrailers?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought gamexplain died, am I thinking of gametrailers?

Yes you are.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

This is much worse than any of jivjov's posts

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes you are.

Also, they came back as a patreon-funded group.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes you are.

There's no justice in this world

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Those Star Fox videos look really good! :eyepop:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's a fight with Star Wolf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZ5PQrKisc

The Wolfen actually turns into a wolf now, that's cute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

I wonder sometimes what goes on in that head of yours, jivjov.

It's just episodes of JoJo's or Star Wars on loop. Forever.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Here's a fight with Star Wolf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieZ5PQrKisc

The Wolfen actually turns into a wolf now, that's cute.

So the voices can play through the TV and not just the gamepad.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jarogue posted:

So the voices can play through the TV and not just the gamepad.

Maybe, or they just recorded it from the gamepad jack-in.

Professor_Dog
Mar 6, 2012

I think it was just recorded directly from the gamepad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

jivjov posted:

It's just episodes of JoJo's or Star Wars on loop. Forever.

...You're all right, jivjov

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

...You're all right, jivjov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm glad we can all come to understand and accept jivjov, even if it was in a roundabout way

• Locked thread