Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Maybe if they taught men how to negotiate better, they could get a better price for their cupcake.

I'm gonna "THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK" the poo poo out of you for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How much is a cupcake if you identify as a lawnmower?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao just go up there, dick swinging, "I am Daniella, I identify as a woman"

boom cheap cupcakes.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How much is a cupcake if you identify as a lawnmower?

How much does a lawnmower earn?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Laserface posted:

lmao just go up there, dick swinging, "I am Daniella, I identify as a woman"

boom cheap cupcakes.

you think the people getting mad at this are comfortable with saying that

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm a gender fluid pansexual multi racial human can I have a free cupcake

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Real criticism of the bake sale: it should have been based on comparison to median income or the poverty line. Or Newstart.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

I'm a gender fluid pansexual multi racial human can I have a free cupcake

Sure on the condition you bring that self to every job interview in the future.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
:waycool: good job waiting a whole page before rolling out the quality jokes about what a lark identifying as anything other than Cis must be, that's the kind of tact and sensitivity that makes Auspol really special

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

The Divine Orator posted:

:waycool: good job waiting a whole page before rolling out the quality jokes about what a lark identifying as anything other than Cis must be, that's the kind of tact and sensitivity that makes Auspol really special

please don't paint us with the brush of diuretic poo poo that is negligent

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Brick Dust Otis posted:

please don't paint us with the brush of diuretic poo poo that is negligent and laserface and Jumpingmanjim

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im the feminist smashing gender roles by holding a loving bake sale.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Laserface posted:

Higsian posted:

Real criticism of the bake sale: it should have been based on comparison to median income or the poverty line. Or Newstart.
Why?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
they did it to make a point about privilege, so if people are joking about being a member of non privileged group in order to get cheap cupcakes they have basically succeeded

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Because they used all sorts of privilege beyond just gender. Except economic. They really shouldn't ignore it.

Actually they ideally would compare their parent's wages but the basic point is the same.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 5, 2016

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Laserface posted:

:lol:

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BCR posted:

Make sure shes a paid up member, or you personally pay her dues for her. If she's not a member, sign her up and let her union rep help.

Document every time they've hosed her over. Hopefully there is emails or sms messages? If not, get her to do a statuary declaration

Having 1) your contract 2) your award 3) documents proving they've hosed her over will make the reps life much easier and justice faster

Fairly delayed response as we've been waiting for her to get out of hospital before asking too many questions. I'll find out about her membership; the union in question is the Public Service Association, which appears to be the South Australian branch of the CPSU(?). Don't know how good this union is - hopefully they're on the case and working to sort this out.

Unless I am mistaken, she is under this enterprise agreement, as an OPS2. It looks like she's not casual but a part-time worker under contracts that have been renewed on a yearly basis. She's been working yearly contracts for seven years now without interruption; is that a reason to argue that she should have been offered permanency by now?

The documentation that shows the employer's dodgy behaviour would mostly be e-mails and I don't think she can access them without being at work, which is a problem since her contract will end before she recovers. I'll see if she has any letters or text messages that might be helpful. Hopefully a Stat Dec holds some weight in regards to backing up her claims.

Thanks again for the advice you have provided so far :)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I've heard that both ANZ and NAB were using the Panamanian dodgy lawyers. Why would they need them, don't they have people who do that sort of thing?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

I've heard that both ANZ and NAB were using the Panamanian dodgy lawyers. Why would they need them, don't they have people who do that sort of thing?

You need an offshore location (or several) to host your shelf companies. You can have all the slimy accountants in the world but you also need somewhere private for them to hide that cash and that is what the Panamanian lawyers did. The scary thing is that this is just one law firm, I'd love to see any other law firms get their emails leaked, I bet there's a lot of hard drives getting wiped out in various tax havens right now.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm just curious if all the shipping companies that exploit Panamanian and Carribbean flags of convenience will get fingered in this. Probably not seeing as it's just a publicly accepted reality.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor have had a good few weeks but them saying they're preferencing Libs over Greens is an odd move, You'd usually aim to make less enemies rather than more against a populist like Turnbull.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm just curious if all the shipping companies that exploit Panamanian and Carribbean flags of convenience will get fingered in this. Probably not seeing as it's just a publicly accepted reality.

gently caress I wish they would.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Hopefully Shorten tries to use this stuff to get a bit of a narrative going of the rich not paying tax. He'll probably sound off about :derp:The Greens:derp:though

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder if some ALP focus groups made them determine that the public is capable of critiquing the LNP without the ALP saying anything so therefore it's best to attack the Greens because it gets younger people engaged into voting therefore by extension expanding the ALP's 2PP while the public rips the LNP apart themselves :v:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I wonder if some ALP focus groups made them determine that the public is capable of critiquing the LNP without the ALP saying anything so therefore it's best to attack the Greens because it gets younger people engaged into voting therefore by extension expanding the ALP's 2PP while the public rips the LNP apart themselves :v:

Then they preference LNP above Greens.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So they're basically attacking the Greens knowing that young people will come to the lesser of two evils conclusion and then not return the favour and gently caress The Greens in preferences while getting the usual rewards for being "progressive"?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

AgentF posted:

Fairly delayed response as we've been waiting for her to get out of hospital before asking too many questions. I'll find out about her membership; the union in question is the Public Service Association, which appears to be the South Australian branch of the CPSU(?). Don't know how good this union is - hopefully they're on the case and working to sort this out.

Unless I am mistaken, she is under this enterprise agreement, as an OPS2. It looks like she's not casual but a part-time worker under contracts that have been renewed on a yearly basis. She's been working yearly contracts for seven years now without interruption; is that a reason to argue that she should have been offered permanency by now?

The documentation that shows the employer's dodgy behaviour would mostly be e-mails and I don't think she can access them without being at work, which is a problem since her contract will end before she recovers. I'll see if she has any letters or text messages that might be helpful. Hopefully a Stat Dec holds some weight in regards to backing up her claims.

Thanks again for the advice you have provided so far :)

1) Call the union, or better visit, make sure shes paid up. If not put down a hundred or whatever to make sure shes current. I know thats real money, but having her current is important. The CPSU can be ok. I don't know your reps. You need to make contact with the union at a minimum, to make them aware your fiances mother exists You can't rely on them doing the right thing, if they don't know she exists.
2) :siren: I am not a lawyer! :siren: She should have a strong case because shes part time which has more rights than a casual, and the contract has been auto renewed for seven years. Past wage slips, rosters, things that prove shes been doing the same hours, the same ish days, over many years will be very helpful. She should have had the oppurtunity to turn permanent or at the very least permanent part time.
3) :siren: [b]YOU NEED THOSE EMAILS!
:siren: If she has a trusted friend at work, get the friend to print those emails. You will need evidence! The emails are important evidence! Everything else is nice, but those emails are the important main event.

Too easy, remember the ACTU and all can help offer better, more specific advice.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GoldStandardConure posted:

Maybe if they taught men how to negotiate better, they could get a better price for their cupcake.

ummm

Birdstrike posted:

If only men learned how to negotiate better prices for themselves

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
BCR is cool and good

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

BCR is cool and good

Strongly Agree

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
As much as I enjoy watching the usual suspects fall in to a circle jerk of how horrible the ALP are... you're currently basing this off what one backbencher said on Sky News?

Let's wait until we see the Green/LNP deal before you get too hard.

edit: Anidav, I would have thought as a former failed YL member you would have had a least a vague understanding of how preferencing deals worked.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno trying to put a Liberal in Melbourne seems like a pretty bad deal to me :shrug:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

As much as I enjoy watching the usual suspects fall in to a circle jerk of how horrible the ALP are... you're currently basing this off what one backbencher said on Sky News?

Let's wait until we see the Green/LNP deal before you get too hard.

edit: Anidav, I would have thought as a former failed YL member you would have had a least a vague understanding of how preferencing deals worked.

Compared to the paroxism you went into over no evidence the greens have done a preference deal?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

So they're basically attacking the Greens knowing that young people will come to the lesser of two evils conclusion and then not return the favour and gently caress The Greens in preferences while getting the usual rewards for being "progressive"?

Did you know the adorable prairie dog in the US will hunt down and brutally kill baby squirrels?

When another creature, no matter how alike you are, no matter how harmless, is competing for the same resources as you are, they are an enemy and must be destroyed.

Voters are a resource. People are voting for the Greens instead of Labor.

If Labor had more self awareness than a prairie dog, they'd change their policies to attract those voters. They don't, so their only path is to attack the Greens and try to 'kill' them with mealymouthed attack ads and preferencing bullshittery.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 5, 2016

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

hooman posted:

Why are white men the most fragile, thin skinned assholes imaginable?

I ask this as a white man.

Real answer? Because when you're accustomed to your status as a cis het white male never being a negative in anything or even something that you think about most of the time, any tiny trivial disadvantage that might come to your attention is so rare that it seems much bigger than it is.

I came out trans last year and it puts poo poo in perspective. Sure, I might have lost a fuckton of outward privilege, but the biggest takeaway is how much I retain for being white, educated and employed in a relatively open minded industry- poo poo I didn't even think about before

DeathMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 5, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Laserface posted:

its ironic, friend

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

yeah it should have been a sausage sizzle for maximum misandry :getin:

butthold
Apr 5, 2009

Anidav posted:

I dunno trying to put a Liberal in Melbourne seems like a pretty bad deal to me :shrug:

It's Melbourne Ports not Melbourne, and it's one MP with a history of being a fuckwit. The ALP could do more to make him pull his head in, but this is the Labor party we're talking about :effort:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You don't need to read the Daily Telegraph article about why Waleed Aly shouldn't win a gold logie but you do have to explain this point to me because wtf

quote:

1. We need better programming on commercial TV, and Aly is the exception that proves the rule.

Remember The Verdict? No biggie if you don’t, because after a few outings late last year, Channel 9’s attempt to engage viewers in a panel discussion show — usually the preserve of the ABC and SBS — seemed to sink without a trace. The format hadn’t been fully considered, the talent was patchy and the whole enterprise seemed rushed to broadcast.

But it shouldn’t have been a flop, because Channel 9 were on to something; we need more intelligent debate on commercial TV. The only caveat? It needs to be well considered and properly produced; Aly’s appointment has injected rare gravitas to a commercial network, and he has found a loyal following.

And if TV bosses were in any doubt, evidence of audience fatigue with dumbed-down reality shows can be found any time you scan the latest ratings. Channel 10 has steadfastly stuck by The Project and given it resources to thrive, but the other commercial networks haven’t managed to do the same with their own attempts at “serious” shows. Which should change, fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

sidviscous posted:

Real answer? Because when you're accustomed to your status as a cis het white male never being a negative in anything or even something that you think about most of the time, any tiny trivial disadvantage that might come to your attention is so rare that it seems much bigger than it is.

I came out trans last year and it puts poo poo in perspective. Sure, I might have lost a fuckton of outward privilege, but the biggest takeaway is how much I retain for being white, educated and employed in a relatively open minded industry- poo poo I didn't even think about before

Thanks for this. I'm very intellectually aware of my privilege, but being a white, first world, rich male means I have no lived experience of discrimination just the ability to compare my experiences to others.

• Locked thread