Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Skyscraper posted:

Technically that's a full-size map.EDIT: Or just a zoomed-out minimap? Can you do that?
It is the minimap overlaid on the entire screen. I find it quite useful as i can keep awareness of surroundings while still seeing what's in front of me. It's nice because it blends adaptively so it doesn't obscure your view when sniping.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, just press M. It isn't terribly useful, though.
The small version is similarly unaffected.

Fish Noise posted:

Sensor Regulators don't scramble. Normal and Frontier Regulators are supposed to have a buff for nearby Grineer and a minimap scramble. Investigating this myself on Earth, I observed no scramble or buff aura. Either something is broken, or some aspect of their effects varies with level since Earth is mostly newbietown.
You're right, i haven't noticed an aura either, but i also haven't looked on other planets yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013

BeAuMaN posted:

Sortie Excavation :smithicide:

...with pubs that think Rolled-in-tp-frame and Mesa are good choices :downsbravo:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ugh Mesa used to be so good. I hate that they murdered mesa so badly.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Passburger posted:

...with pubs that think Rolled-in-tp-frame and Mesa are good choices :downsbravo:

Tbh, you can't blame the pubbies when Sorties become available at Rank 4 despite being much harder than what any average player at that rank could handle.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i blame them, because at rank 4 i was still having trouble with much lower level enemies. so i didnt start doing sorties until i felt i was geared

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sortie excavations are the goddamn worst. Even with Frost the damage is just too much to keep up with towards the end.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

sitchelin posted:

Sortie excavations are the goddamn worst. Even with Frost the damage is just too much to keep up with towards the end.

The problem is AOE projectiles that impact on the snowglobe can still hurt you inside. I usually just cheat and use Valkyr. TBF I do that with a lot of sortie missions though.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Not to mention that the extractor hp doesn't scale at all which is seriously bullshit, even by de's standards. One second's inattention is enough when a single stray short will blow up the loving thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I ran the sortie with my regular group of friends today, as usual. I was the dedicated Valkyr on tower A for the interception, and the Frost for the excavation.

The excavation made the interception feel like a goddamn tutorial mission.

No way am I doing dedicated Frost on sortie excavation anymore, even with fairly competent people.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wait, sorties unlock at MR 4? So when Vay Hek was a sortie boss a while back, a player could have fought him before being allowed to fight the regular Vay Hek? :de:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's better to Valk everything. Even excavation sorties. Having a live player is better than anything else, even blown up excavators. Those still give out cryotic. Dead players cant dig.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The problem though is that the enemies are going to keep getting progressively stronger. When I did the excavation the Bursas got to level 90+ and we just couldn't get their health to budge. At about 200 cryotic to go we all went "gently caress this, lay down an extractor and peace out, this poo poo's going inch along whether we want it to or not." And then we did the asassination mission, we were in and out in 3 minutes.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Wait, sorties unlock at MR 4? So when Vay Hek was a sortie boss a while back, a player could have fought him before being allowed to fight the regular Vay Hek? :de:

Yep. I just reached MR4 and sorties opened up, and i was like "hmmm, 60-80 ... i heard people say the april fools one on that level wasn't so bad, maybe give it a try". Ended up being carried through by 3 high level dudes, died 7 times, but contributed some and got a bunch of loot, and decided to leave that till later.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sitchelin posted:

The problem though is that the enemies are going to keep getting progressively stronger. When I did the excavation the Bursas got to level 90+ and we just couldn't get their health to budge. At about 200 cryotic to go we all went "gently caress this, lay down an extractor and peace out, this poo poo's going inch along whether we want it to or not." And then we did the asassination mission, we were in and out in 3 minutes.

Past level 100, every eximus we saw had a nullifier field.

That's some scary poo poo, I tell you what.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Excavation isn't a problem when you're in a group of people who can kill 80+ enemies without a problem. The problem is just like people say your average r4 pubbie barely ever has a nikana let alone anything with mods of that level of murder.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014
Everyone is wrong by the way, the Tigris is the best sniper rifle. At least the way I modded it. 17K a shot is nothing to sneeze at. :getin:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
To be a Sortie Excavation Frost, you must understand the properties of Snow Globe beyond "it's a shield".

When cast, Snow Globe is invulnerable for four seconds*. This period ignores power duration. Always four seconds.
When modding, the health of the Snow Globe benefits from Power Strength and Armor.
However, damage absorbed by the Snow Globe during the invulnerable period is also added to the Snow Globe's total health.

Ah! It gets better!

Recasting within a Snow Globe refreshes it, that should be commonly understood.
What is not so obvious is that you are not simply replacing the Snow Globe.
You are rolling the old Snow Globe's health into that of the new Snow Globe, which yes, does come with its own four second invulnerability damage-to-health period.

You can literally snowball Snow Globes into Snow Globes, combining them into a truly ridiculous barrier. The health supposedly caps at a million.
This is why you'll often see/hear experienced Frosts slam their Snow Globe repeatedly. They're stacking that fucker.

Thus, build your Snow Globe strong, build your Snow Globe efficient, build energy restores, keep one eye on the Snow Globe's health percentage, and be ready to spam.**

*When maxed, which it will be, because you're in a Sortie.
**There are further nuances and use cases, but this is just the basics on "How to defend the gently caress out of this one thing".

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

GregorCanteberry posted:

Everyone is wrong by the way, the Tigris is the best sniper rifle. At least the way I modded it. 17K a shot is nothing to sneeze at. :getin:

Gotta disagree, Angstrum is the best sniper rifle. Pinpoint accurate AND can kill everything in the room with one shot.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

BeAuMaN posted:

Sortie Excavation :smithicide:

I ran with pubs, and we had Mag, Mirage, Frost, and some other frame that didn't do anything so wasn't memorable. Even if Mag's polarize damage is drastically reduced, it still removes the shields of enemies and does a large amount of damage. Pull and Crush also can CC enemies in a pinch. Frost keeps the excavators from being instagibbed, and can freeze enemies. Mirage can keep the whole map blind with her disco ball--this is the most important part. With level 90 corpus techs and other bullshit, frost's bubbles don't last very long, while blind prevents most enemies from ever even firing.

Weapons like Sancti Tigris that have high physical damage in one area and benefit from the physical damage mods do great (Vaykor Hek is also good). Tonkor also does fine just because of how ridiculous the damage it does is. If you have lenses, Vazarin is amazing because it gives you instant revives (which stack, by the way, every time you activate the power), and can heal excavators and teammates. We didn't lose a single excavator with that setup. The only thing that would have really improved it would be a slow nova.

Having to grind out 10 excavators is a real bitch, though, especially compared to pretty much every other mission type.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Rorac posted:

Gotta disagree, Angstrum is the best sniper rifle. Pinpoint accurate AND can kill everything in the room with one shot.

That's a funny way of spelling "Kulstar."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Kulstar's accuracy is akin to pissing hands-free.

Right now to the stream inexplicably splitting down the middle.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Fish Noise posted:

You can literally snowball Snow Globes into Snow Globes, combining them into a truly ridiculous barrier. The health supposedly caps at a million.
This is why you'll often see/hear experienced Frosts slam their Snow Globe repeatedly. They're stacking that fucker.

Correction: those are lazy veteran Frosts. Minmaxer Tryhard Frost would wait 4 seconds before recasting and only if the globe is still taking damage by then. It doesn't matter if you have a Trinity though, since then Frost could press 3 from start to the end.

Also, stay away from Nullifiers. Getting (yourself) touched by their icky bubble will pop *all* your bubbles.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

wid posted:

Correction: those are lazy veteran Frosts. Minmaxer Tryhard Frost would wait 4 seconds before recasting and only if the globe is still taking damage by then. It doesn't matter if you have a Trinity though, since then Frost could press 3 from start to the end.

Also, stay away from Nullifiers. Getting (yourself) touched by their icky bubble will pop *all* your bubbles.

no it won't.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I run into Nullifier bubbles all the time to Tonkor them in the face and my globes stay up.

Also while we're at it, and this is aimed at the newer guys, don't forget you can pop your own globes by casting your 1 at them from the outside. It's occasionally useful if one of your old bubbles gets in the way of shooting mans.

b00n
May 8, 2007

Keksen posted:

Also while we're at it, and this is aimed at the newer guys, don't forget you can pop your own globes by casting your 1 at them from the outside. It's occasionally useful if one of your old bubbles gets in the way of shooting mans.

You should get rid of them as soon as you don't need them anymore. I can't tell you how often bad Frost players leave them exactly in a choke point, making everyone wait for the enemies to crawl through before they can be shot. Sure, I can just run in and kill them, but I shouldn't have to loving do that.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Denzine posted:

no it won't.

Huh. Guess I was wrong.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The best way to avoid the AOE bleed through in frost bubbles are bigger bubbles.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

wid posted:

Huh. Guess I was wrong.

It USED to do that.

Not anymore.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The best snowglobe strategy is to shoot your Kulstar so it explodes just outside the edge of your bubble, murdering everything over there in a hilarious fashion.

Maybe this is actually a good way to boost snowglobe health during the invulnerability phase, while also helping you to reach your optimal 4-second interval timing? Could be. Maybe not, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Speaking of hilarious strategies, has anyone ever tried building a murder machine out of Limbo's cataclysm? The augment makes it keep going if enemies die inside it. Suppose you had a speed Nova bringing in enemies, a Vauban throwing up batilles inside that, and a Frost making narrow minded snow globes inside that? Everyone inside would have tonkors or maybe atomoses. If it works, it would turn high-level survival missions into painless meat grinding expeditions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Do a 4 Limbo sortie and banish everything to the shadow realm

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I was thinking a 4 Ivara run of the next Interception sortie. Sleep everything, kill nothing, capture 100% in peace.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bring Clem home!

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Stupid newbie question: Is there some mod or ability that lets you jump farther?

I've played enough to be able to gauge the distance on a jump (in the 'I can/can't make that'), know that I can't make a jump, but watch players do. Is that a mod or frame ability?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kumo posted:

Stupid newbie question: Is there some mod or ability that lets you jump farther?

I've played enough to be able to gauge the distance on a jump (in the 'I can/can't make that'), know that I can't make a jump, but watch players do. Is that a mod or frame ability?

Are you bullet jumping?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Run the movement tutorial, if you haven't. There's double jumping, bullet jumping (spin-jumping like a rifled round), mid-air slow-mo hangtime, wall running and a million combinations thereof.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Mordja posted:

Are you bullet jumping?

I don't know what that means. Like double jumping and the mid-air slide, or the twirling thing?

Thanks by the way, fun game but drat if there is not a huge amount of material to know to be able to play effectively.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kumo posted:

I don't know what that means. Like double jumping and the mid-air slide, or the twirling thing?

Thanks by the way, fun game but drat if there is not a huge amount of material to know to be able to play effectively.

Bulletjump is crouch+jump and can be done as your first or second jump.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Bulletjump is crouch+jump and can be done as your first or second jump.

Also, you don't necessarily have to bulletjump forward. If you point your camera straight up and bullet jump off the ground you can reach a lot of places.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I have so much to learn. My Tenno is incorrect. :(

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Fish Noise posted:

To be a Sortie Excavation Frost, you must understand the properties of Snow Globe beyond "it's a shield".

When cast, Snow Globe is invulnerable for four seconds*. This period ignores power duration. Always four seconds.
When modding, the health of the Snow Globe benefits from Power Strength and Armor.
However, damage absorbed by the Snow Globe during the invulnerable period is also added to the Snow Globe's total health.

Ah! It gets better!

Recasting within a Snow Globe refreshes it, that should be commonly understood.
What is not so obvious is that you are not simply replacing the Snow Globe.
You are rolling the old Snow Globe's health into that of the new Snow Globe, which yes, does come with its own four second invulnerability damage-to-health period.

Thus, build your Snow Globe strong, build your Snow Globe efficient, build energy restores, keep one eye on the Snow Globe's health percentage, and be ready to spam.**

*When maxed, which it will be, because you're in a Sortie.
**There are further nuances and use cases, but this is just the basics on "How to defend the gently caress out of this one thing".
:aaaaa:
I knew all this, except I thought they were capped to 1.5x - 2.0x of standard, so people who were re-casting it too many times were just being wasteful. Thanks for the education!