Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

RareAcumen posted:

Can someone give me some kind of example of what a safe space is supposed to be? Is it like a therapist's office where you can talk and everything stays confidential?

That's one example, but certain clubs, organisations or rehab groups often are as well. The whole idea is that people who are part of certain groups like to have a space where they don't have to experience similar conditions present in day to day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

RareAcumen posted:

Can someone give me some kind of example of what a safe space is supposed to be? Is it like a therapist's office where you can talk and everything stays confidential?

It's a bit like that, but it's also largely about respecting other people. A safe space in the context of that student government was that students were not allowed to make each other feel uncomfortable expressing opinions, this allowing for a free market of ideas to take place without anyone being immediately shut down. That doesn't mean people agree with you, and they are free to voice disagreement as long as they aren't like, "fuuuuuuuuuck you."

In other contexts a safe space could be a place where you are extra careful to enforce rules against sexual harassment, such as the one lounge at PAX one year that made a bunch of gamers mad, or a place where people are trained to be sensitive to triggers and needs of others, not in a sheltering-from-the-world way but in a "I recognize you are still building the necessary skills to deal with your trauma history and I don't want loud doors to remind you of your abusive ex" way. I don't think a safe space like the kind right-wingers make fun of has ever existed.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

RFC2324 posted:

Never seen anyone harassed, but it does make everyone around uncomfortable, which does NOT help with acceptance in any way. I keep hearing that the ultimate goal of trans people is to blend in, and just be the gender they feel they are, but you aren't going to blend in with a miniskirt and a beard. No one really cares how ugly someone is as far as this, just that you conform to norms to some degree. ie: Just shave when you put on your dress!

You're probably the one doing the harassing and not even realizing it. The fact that they are non-conforming makes you uncomfortable is what makes me feel this way. Just trying to help you out, bra.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

RFC2324 posted:

Unfortunately, you still see enough people out in high heels, a badly fitting dress, and a 5 o'clock shadow out there that it makes it hard to convince people that they really do just want to be a woman.

This is why early intervention is key. The more you push and push to keep a trans woman from becoming herself, the more damage testosterone does. If you don't, then, they turn into people like me.

And would you rather have a happy, normal female child or a MageMage? yeah. Think about that for a second.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
http://imgur.com/gallery/ELXIb

Hey look another wall of poorly-sourced "lifehack" bullshit

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

http://imgur.com/gallery/S74mn

First reaction: "Wow, the worst front page re-posts all together."

Then the comments made up for a lot. The dumbest one is the guy who liked everything then complained about 9gag.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

goose fleet posted:

A couple these are okay advice. Most of them just make me angry; a few make me furious.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

A couple these are okay advice. Most of them just make me angry; a few make me furious.

Please try to tell me when I worked a hotel chef job how I should have stopped drinking coffee at my 5am to 6pm job if you wanted me to slap you in the loving mouth.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

goose fleet posted:

This imaginary productive person is the opposite of me. The highlight of my day is reading the news, I refuse to keep a diary, and today I drank four espressos in the space of an hour. (:toot: I got a new job! It's to sell coffee, I was testing the products.)

Also, "buy a small place rather than rent". LOL

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My personal favorite is when they claim something "boosts your metabolism"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

goose fleet posted:

I like number 31. "Be charitable and donate money. It's great for radical wealth creation!"
Because, as we all know, the only reason to do anything is to make more money for yourself. Also number 40: "have more money! Have it come from lots of places at once!"

cptn_dr has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Apr 5, 2016

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

"Listen to audiobooks at 2x speed and your brain will change faster"

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

goose fleet posted:

I'm not reading any further than 'stop consuming caffeine'.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

#30: "Save 10% of your income"
#31: "Give away 10% of your income"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Set up a 24/7 income stream for yourself. With the internet is just super easy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This whole tirade is basically just imgur shocked at someone abusing their power over other people

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Plan Z posted:

Please try to tell me when I worked a hotel chef job how I should have stopped drinking coffee at my 5am to 6pm job if you wanted me to slap you in the loving mouth.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm not reading any further than 'stop consuming caffeine'.

I saw this on the front page and literally closed it just after that. I've replaced alcohol with coffee recently in my life and it's pretty much the poo poo. I get up early now! I have so much time to do things!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goose fleet posted:

There actually is a drug that boosts your metabolism.

It's excellent for weight loss.

It's also totally banned in the US, since if you take just a little too much of it your body literally cooks from the inside out.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

goose fleet posted:

I personally like "makes your hair/nails grow faster." No it loving doesn't and those are all dead anyway.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

RareAcumen posted:

This whole tirade is basically just imgur shocked at someone abusing their power over other people

I saw this posted by a friend on facebook earlier today, and he was citing this as an example of "the left eating itself" and feared that universities with safe spaces may lose their freedom of speech. I thought about engaging past jokingly telling him to stop yelling at clouds, but every time I typed out a thoughtful reply I found myself deleting it. It just wasn't worth it. Before I turned off notifications for the post I had a laugh at another person commenting on the article with "WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP LOL," so that was funny.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Palpek posted:

Today imgur got a gif of a girl doing some poses:

http://i.imgur.com/c9hzPtQ.webm

The comments with the most points:

drat, what an emotionally unstable, scary bitch who worst of all doesn't gently caress me. What a sad loving community.

At least there are like 2 people calling this out for what it is hanging there with 0 points, probably soon to be downvoted:

I love how these guys' self esteem is so low they don't even entertain the idea that she might gently caress them. They skip straight to 'she's probably a bitch anyway'.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

goose fleet posted:

I can't get over "One day a week, just don't loving eat food."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

goose fleet posted:

"If you listen to things at x2 speed you will learn twice as fast!"

:suicide101:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's mainstream now. I read an article on New York Times about intermittent fasting. The doctor they quote recommends you just drink coffee/tea/broth for 24 hour periods once or twice a week.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mu Zeta posted:

That's mainstream now. I read an article on New York Times about intermittent fasting. The doctor they quote recommends you just drink coffee/tea/broth for 24 hour periods once or twice a week.

But doctors also recommend not drinking tea/coffee. NOW WHAT SON!?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

But doctors also recommend not drinking tea/coffee. NOW WHAT SON!?
But does eating/not eating give/reduce the chances of cancer?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thinky Whale posted:

I can't get over "One day a week, just don't loving eat food."

Yeah that's quite a well researched thing. And not really a fad, from what I've seen. It's not complete bullshit either way.

Plenty of other things on that list to laugh at, at least! Just buy a house! Why pay loads of money in rent, morons.

I've never seen such a smug list in one place.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Croccers posted:

But does eating/not eating give/reduce the chances of cancer?

Yes/No

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Huh, I had no idea. The "remove toxins" part made me assume it was bullshit. Imgur just accidentally indirectly taught me something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I saw this posted by a friend on facebook earlier today, and he was citing this as an example of "the left eating itself" and feared that universities with safe spaces may lose their freedom of speech. I thought about engaging past jokingly telling him to stop yelling at clouds, but every time I typed out a thoughtful reply I found myself deleting it. It just wasn't worth it. Before I turned off notifications for the post I had a laugh at another person commenting on the article with "WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP LOL," so that was funny.

So, do you remember anything about this 'comedians refusing to do college tours' poo poo? I've got a memory like an Xcom hitrate, I'll remember some things occasionally but most of the time, no luck.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So, do you remember anything about this 'comedians refusing to do college tours' poo poo? I've got a memory like an Xcom hitrate, I'll remember some things occasionally but most of the time, no luck.

The closest thing I remember was Seinfeld bitching about "kids these days" after he bombed with a bad joke.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

The closest thing I remember was Seinfeld bitching about "kids these days" after he bombed with a bad joke.

I don't remember anything about Chris Rock or Larry the Cable Guy having problems though.

It's super obnoxious how liberals, SJWs and Feminists have to be a collective hivemind with the same opinion on everything on that loving website.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

The joke would have been fine if it wasn't needlessly homophobic

Iirc it Was "people lord over their friends lists on smartphones swiping like some gay King"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

The joke would have been fine if it wasn't needlessly homophobic

Iirc it Was "people lord over their friends lists on smartphones swiping like some gay King"

The joke sucked and Seinfeld went all 'everyone's too PC to enjoy my clever humour waah waah wahh'

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If you're criticizing Jerry Seinfeld's humor to maintain your position, you're on shaky ground.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
All members of my ingroup are unique.

All members of every outgroup are monolithic

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

goose fleet posted:

Aside form a few glaring ones this is full of general poo poo everybody knows they should be doing. Then there's poo poo that's just weird "Say no to things you don't want to do" and "Say thank you after being served"

Also lol
"Maintain health and vigor by fasting for 24 hours"
I'd lose all energy about six hours into the day if I did that.

71 per cent of bed makers consider themselves happy

Golden Goat has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Apr 5, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sometimes I forget to eat for an entire day. Who knew I was on the path to riches.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Coconut oil is the healthiest food on the planet"
"Coconut oil is a healthy alternative to caffeine"

Yep, totally. Just start guzzling down coconut oil and ignore your ever expanding waistline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Yep, totally. Just start guzzling down coconut oil and ignore your ever expanding waistline.

Wasn't that the endstate of some fad diet thread on SA?

• Locked thread