Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If I've hated every single game that could even be vaguely called a rougelike I assume it's not going to do much for me?

You would not like it but you should buy it anyway so that they make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Good stuff guys.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

de la peche posted:

Buy it anyway, treat yourself.

What makes it worth the money over other games like it? I bought Assault Android Cactus last week because that is an actually fun and not broken game that people should have voted for instead of Broforce.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

What makes it worth the money over other games like it? I bought Assault Android Cactus last week because that is an actually fun and not broken game that people should have voted for instead of Broforce.

I voted for Assault Android Cactus too, and I also sadly had to buy it because people are stupid. Enter The Gungeon, so far, seems to be a really well put-together roguelike, with a massive gun fetish, and a good sense of humour. I'm probably biased because I quite like roguelikes with some way of retaining a bit of progression after death, and this is a very good one. If I had to compare it to something else, it'd be like a slower-paced, safer Nuclear Throne, with some massive 80's coin-op influences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Every souls game is good while every final fantasy is bad

This is accurate.

quote:

Broforce is fun as hell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

broforce would be fun if it worked

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Broforce is fun as hell.

It is for about a half hour but it was plagued by longish load times, lag at the beginning of every stage, frame rate issues and some really bad online multiplayer bugs (players not loading in, dead characters not spawning in at checkpoints, etc). Playing with 4 people is pretty fun but it really doesn't last long.

de la peche posted:

I voted for Assault Android Cactus too, and I also sadly had to buy it because people are stupid. Enter The Gungeon, so far, seems to be a really well put-together roguelike, with a massive gun fetish, and a good sense of humour. I'm probably biased because I quite like roguelikes with some way of retaining a bit of progression after death, and this is a very good one. If I had to compare it to something else, it'd be like a slower-paced, safer Nuclear Throne, with some massive 80's coin-op influences.

See I like this answer. I'm a big fan of Binding of Isaac and a few other "roguelikes", what sort of progression does this game have after your die?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/therell-be-no-donut-drake-uncharted-4/

Well that's a drat shame, no donut drake cause fat sucks might get offended.

Honestly Donut Drake wasn't funny cause he was fat, he was funny cause he's a fat guy in an environment that require you to be fit.

my gf was PISSED when she read this, and frankly so am i. donut drake owns

RBA Starblade posted:

Broforce is fun as hell.

broforce is fun but the one hit kills are dumb as poo poo and betray basically the entire aesthetic and game design they have created. yes, lets make a game about a bunch of movie heroes that are canonically basically invincible, and also based around completely random poo poo blowing up and having half the level explode and fall on top of you, and then have you die to a single bullet. great idea!!!!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

abagofcheetos posted:

broforce is fun but the one hit kills are dumb as poo poo and betray basically the entire aesthetic and game design they have created. yes, lets make a game about a bunch of movie heroes that are canonically basically invincible, and also based around completely random poo poo blowing up and having half the level explode and fall on top of you, and then have you die to a single bullet. great idea!!!!!

Also it's frustrating that enemies have like, the longest range. You see a guy and you shoot at him, but your bullets dematerialize before they reach him. "Oh, he is out of range," you think, right before his bullets travel the entire length of the screen and kill you. I'm not saying it's unfair, but it's not always fun to die to dumb poo poo like that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lblitzer posted:

I wouldn't compare Gungeon to AAC but something more like Binding of Isaac. There's more emphasis on variety of weapons, and some borrowing from shmups like a limited number of charges to blow away all projectiles if you get cornered and a dodge roll move to help you escape bullet waves and maneuver through traps. There are a handful of kinda samey guns at the very first but it isn't too long before you unlock fun poo poo into the item pool.

It's at least been a more entertaining game to watch than a lot of the previous Isaac clones, if that says anything :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have been enjoying Republique so far for an impuse purchase

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The controller thing is stopped by pausing for five seconds so whatever, the framerate tanking indeed sucks, multiplayer worked great for me but I guess I only played offline, half the bros being worthless by the end is also lame. Still, I had a lot of fun with it and it was a lot more interesting than AAC.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Seconding the Enter the Gungeon praise. It plays like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, with four starting characters with different weapons and tools. I've only made it to the boss of the second floor, but it looks like bosses are pulled from a pool so you don't face Big Bandit over and over again. I've picked up some currency that persists in the hub/starting area, but I haven't found anything to use it on. I've also found two different alters and a large locked door with a person and a giant robot behind it that I couldn't figure out how to open. The humor is effective and centers around gun puns, and there's a description for every weapon, item, enemy and boss in the Ammonomicon. There are sealed doors in the hub area and I think that they'll eventually be shortcuts to deeper areas a la Splunkey. There seems to be a lot of meat on these bones, more so than Broforce and maybe Nuclear Throne, and I found a lot of little details kind of charming. Like, there are possessed books that are enemies, and their attacks are letters spelled out it bullets that they shoot at you. Basic enemies are different types of ammo that are consistent with their attack type (pistol rounds for single shots, shotgun shells for shotgunners, rifle rounds for snipers, rubber bullets push you around for no damage, etc.) but the developers didn't limit themselves and the bestiary looks extensive. Using the dodge roll, flipping tables for cover, and reloading while weaving between fire scratches a satisfying itch.

I recommend it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

Seconding the Enter the Gungeon praise. It plays like Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne, with four starting characters with different weapons and tools. I've only made it to the boss of the second floor, but it looks like bosses are pulled from a pool so you don't face Big Bandit over and over again. I've picked up some currency that persists in the hub/starting area, but I haven't found anything to use it on. I've also found two different alters and a large locked door with a person and a giant robot behind it that I couldn't figure out how to open. The humor is effective and centers around gun puns, and there's a description for every weapon, item, enemy and boss in the Ammonomicon. There are sealed doors in the hub area and I think that they'll eventually be shortcuts to deeper areas a la Splunkey. There seems to be a lot of meat on these bones, more so than Broforce and maybe Nuclear Throne, and I found a lot of little details kind of charming. Like, there are possessed books that are enemies, and their attacks are letters spelled out it bullets that they shoot at you. Basic enemies are different types of ammo that are consistent with their attack type (pistol rounds for single shots, shotgun shells for shotgunners, rifle rounds for snipers, rubber bullets push you around for no damage, etc.) but the developers didn't limit themselves and the bestiary looks extensive. Using the dodge roll, flipping tables for cover, and reloading while weaving between fire scratches a satisfying itch.

I recommend it.

The mysteries and hidden poo poo in BoI and Spelunky were awesome little touches to the game. I love not having stuff spelled out for you and to just find things out as you keep playing.

CrashCat posted:

I wouldn't compare Gungeon to AAC but something more like Binding of Isaac. There's more emphasis on variety of weapons, and some borrowing from shmups like a limited number of charges to blow away all projectiles if you get cornered and a dodge roll move to help you escape bullet waves and maneuver through traps. There are a handful of kinda samey guns at the very first but it isn't too long before you unlock fun poo poo into the item pool.

It's at least been a more entertaining game to watch than a lot of the previous Isaac clones, if that says anything :shrug:

I just used AAC as an example of an indie game whom deserved more love than it got. AAC is one of the few indie games I've purchased in a long time and I've been really on the fence of Gungeon. If it resembles a lot of the good things about BoI then I think I would like it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That's a bitch-made excuse not to do Donut Drake in your fuckin' game, Neil Druckmann and don't say "we've progressed through that" or whatever gently caress your poo poo

The Last of Us was really good so I expect good poo poo outta you but you can shut your pie hole

give me my fat mode

gently caress it I want Downs Syndrome Drake too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's a bitch-made excuse not to do Donut Drake in your fuckin' game, Neil Druckmann and don't say "we've progressed through that" or whatever gently caress your poo poo

The Last of Us was really good so I expect good poo poo outta you but you can shut your pie hole

give me my fat mode

yikes

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't have strong feelings for or against Donut Drake but I am really curious what the model looked like on the new gen hardware.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

effervescible posted:

I don't have strong feelings for or against Donut Drake but I am really curious what the model looked like on the new gen hardware.

Maybe it was too disgusting, who knows! Find out in the Donut Drake DLC only $5.99!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Add voice pitch modulation and you get 99% of the entertainment of fat drake anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

8-Bit Scholar posted:

give me my fat mode

They did shut their pie hole, that's why there's no Donut Drake :v:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
They took the awesome fatdrake/lowgrav/mirror unlocks out of uncharted to try convince people to play the lovely tacked on multiplayer mode instead ahahaha

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

effervescible posted:

Fat.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is that Binding of Isaac dlc ever going to come out? That's what I want.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

The coder if I remember correctly is really not good and has trouble optimizing anything or getting a pixel game to run on consoles. I didn't like the expac very much anyway :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I bought Gungeon because it looks really fun and scratches that Issac itch I miss after playing it to death. Issac is probably my 2nd or 3rd most played PS4 game.

I also enjoyed Platinum Demo more than the FF-Type Zero demo. I feel like they refined the combat system in a good way. The last one was pretty complicated and controlled like butt.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

give me my fat mode

:yikes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/therell-be-no-donut-drake-uncharted-4/

Well that's a drat shame, no donut drake cause fat sucks might get offended.

Honestly Donut Drake wasn't funny cause he was fat, he was funny cause he's a fat guy in an environment that require you to be fit.

This is disappointing because donut drake represents real gamers and as a real gamer I would like my body type to be represented in a video game, especially one as large as Uncharted 4.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If they're actually successful in getting an Uncharted movie off the ground, they could cast Nathan Fillion and you'd get at least get Doughnut Drake in the movie.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I said come in! posted:

This is disappointing because donut drake represents real gamers and as a real gamer I would like my body type to be represented in a video game, especially one as large as Uncharted 4.

"Why are you removing the character model that represents me, now it's just idealized eye-candy versions of - oh. Ohhhhhh. So that's what that feels like."

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Schremp Howard posted:

Wouldn't hold my breath for it, it ran like garbage for a long while on PC. The new stuff isn't that good aside from the fixes to item synergies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So if I like Isaac, and don't really like nuclear throne because I suck at it and it's just too hard for me, Gungeon is probably a good buy?

I can feel the fatigue on these games too but the art actually looks nice in Enter the Gungeon which is rare for the genre.

E: the best thing about Donut Drake is that totally changes the context of everything falling apart beneath you in Uncharted. That and he's funny looking.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

So I'm looking to buy a PS4. Anyone know if there are any better than average promos going on right now?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

NESguerilla posted:

So if I like Isaac, and don't really like nuclear throne because I suck at it and it's just too hard for me, Gungeon is probably a good buy?

I can feel the fatigue on these games too but the art actually looks nice in Enter the Gungeon which is rare for the genre.

I would say that it's worth the price of admission, but that really depends on your financial situation. I have a very early impression of it but I think it builds upon BoI and Nuclear Throne, and it's slightly more like the former than the latter. I don't know you very well, but I think you'd like it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just saw this posted on Reddit. For US users, if you grab the Amplitude demo, then the full game unlocks for free (probably a mistake).

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/717374188508487680

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Crows Turn Off posted:

Just saw this posted on Reddit. For US users, if you grab the Amplitude demo, then the full game unlocks for free (probably a mistake).

Maybe Harmonix is just burning it all down after their Fig failed

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, that Uncharted DS4 is loving gorgeous. :swoon:

Also the best roguelike on PS4 is Galak-Z. Bonus that it was free!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well I think it worked. I'll try it later.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I would say that it's worth the price of admission, but that really depends on your financial situation. I have a very early impression of it but I think it builds upon BoI and Nuclear Throne, and it's slightly more like the former than the latter. I don't know you very well, but I think you'd like it.

Difficulty wise I'd say that Gungeon is more like Nuclear Throne. There's a lot more poo poo going on than a typical BoI room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Well I think it worked. I'll try it later.

Unless it's full of in-app purchase stuff, it worked for me too. Even unlocked the game for PS3.

• Locked thread