Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

holocaust bloopers posted:

Switch layouts and then set up the Elite. Up shift is left paddle and downshift is right paddle. Takes a bit of practice but is totally cool and fun.

That's now how paddles work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

That's now how paddles work.

Uh yea? Choose a layout within Forza. X is downshift, B is up poo poo is the one I use.

Configure the elite controller within the accessories app to map the paddles to the appropriate buttons.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I found it really awkward to hold the controller in such a way that I could use the left paddle to downshift and the left trigger to brake at the same time. I use manual with clutch and had the top paddle on both sides mapped to clutch (a) and the bottom one to shifting (x or b). I'd mash both paddles on one side to shift. Whenever I set the controller down on my couch between races it would also hit a because it was engaging the paddles so I'd have to check what menu setting I'd messed up every time.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 24, 2016

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Uh yea? Choose a layout within Forza. X is downshift, B is up poo poo is the one I use.

Configure the elite controller within the accessories app to map the paddles to the appropriate buttons.

I think he's saying that a paddle shifter in an actual car is mapped the other way around, downshift is left and upshift is right.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Its like those awful "autostick" functions where you push forward to shift up, and down to shift down. I'm looking at you, Porsche. (plus they put it on the FRONT of the wheel. :psyduck: ) If i MUST drive an automatic i want to at least pretend its a lemans prototype.
Car makers know nothing about cars.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 25, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FAILURE posted:

I think he's saying that a paddle shifter in an actual car is mapped the other way around, downshift is left and upshift is right.

Yea I'm aware. I've been playing with that setup for 20 years now. Don't ask me how I got started with the controls reversed.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Its like those awful "autostick" functions where you push forward to shift up, and down to shift down. I'm looking at you, Porsche. (plus they put it on the FRONT of the wheel. :psyduck: ) If i MUST drive an automatic i want to at least pretend its a lemans prototype.
Car makers know nothing about cars.

I paid extra for the paddle shifters and almost never use them because it's impossible to outsmart a PDK.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

FAILURE posted:

I paid extra for the paddle shifters and almost never use them because it's impossible to outsmart a PDK.

I understand some people need automatics. Thank you for your service, legless iraqi veteran,

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Luckily he only needs to use 1st and 2nd gear to be going 20 mph faster than a miata's top speed so your admonitions about the true master race of skilled transmissionists that include 'literally every driver in the developing world' fall back quickly and his shame is mitigated by all the hot chicks he's getting immediate mouth sex from because he doesn't need to do the ol' soft shoe routine while he drives.

http://picosong.com/85gU/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the game's justification for clutch shifting being faster on vehicles that have electronic clutches / semi-automatic transmissions and the like? I realize the added difficulty is supposed to be rewarded but if you tried to manually shift on a P1 the engine would explode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because it's an arcade game. There are cars in the game that are clearly automatics with PRND listed on the dash but you can still shift them manually. Forza has never been that great of a sim.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cojawfee posted:

Because it's an arcade game. There are cars in the game that are clearly automatics with PRND listed on the dash but you can still shift them manually. Forza has never been that great of a sim.

Since forza 2 i've wanted a "Defer to in-car aids" option, so a Buick Grand national would be automatic, a Nissan Skyline would have fancy traction control, a Ferrari would be paddle shift and a Miata would be manual with clutch, any of which you could disable in favor of aids.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Since forza 2 i've wanted a "Defer to in-car aids" option, so a Buick Grand national would be automatic, a Nissan Skyline would have fancy traction control, a Ferrari would be paddle shift and a Miata would be manual with clutch, any of which you could disable in favor of aids.

And everything made by Chrysler and Fiat shits its transmission guts on the starting line before the the green flag.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've brought that very point up with San Greenawalt both times I've visited Turn 10 now. Not sure I've ever received a satisfying answer, fwiw.

I really like the way DiRT Rally handles wheels in that regard. You turn on "soft lock" and it defaults your wheel to whatever lock the actual car has. Btw you should all try that game, it is really really excellent: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/dirt-rally-review-one-of-the-best-driving-games-weve-ever-played/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Forza also doesn't do a terrific job of modeling high-end cars' electronic genies like the GT-R and Ferraris.

The generic tcs and stability systems don't come close to what those cars really do.

I imagine all of that stuff is proprietary and therefore very secretive.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Forza also doesn't do a terrific job of modeling high-end cars' electronic genies like the GT-R and Ferraris.

The generic tcs and stability systems don't come close to what those cars really do.

I imagine all of that stuff is proprietary and therefore very secretive.

So I've asked about that too, and the answer was always along the lines of "no, our system is is fine". I think that they could at least do what GT does and let you alter the amount of intervention (which after all is what the various OEM ones do).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

So I've asked about that too, and the answer was always along the lines of "no, our system is is fine". I think that they could at least do what GT does and let you alter the amount of intervention (which after all is what the various OEM ones do).

I loved having to turn off all the driver aids on every single car, via menus designed in the 90's. Just part of the Gran Turismo Experience™

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Turn 10 won't do any of the electronic wizard stuff for each car because that's too much work. Instead, they find specific values (overall weight, weight distribution, horsepower, rpm curves, etc) and plug them into the game without ever driving the cars in real life. Their method is streamlined and consistent. They can't be bothered to give certain cars extra treatment, which is mainly why some modern cars drive like rear end. (Oh and the movable aero parts don't produce dynamic downforce effects or anything. They can't be bothered to model those either because that would take too much time.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It all has to run on an xbone and will be played by people who think "1970 Dodge Charger is the best car of all time, send this baby to X class, yeehaaw!" Making sure the suspension of the GTR works exactly as in real life isn't a priority.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The amount of time they'd need to spend modeling all the modern systems and poo poo would quite likely mean we'd have far fewer cars. And frankly I don't give the slightest poo poo about 99% of modern cars and would rather see them spend that time giving us things like the Opel GT and Mazda RX3, so gently caress it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spending 12 million credits on Mods was not a good idea. Would have been if I was willing to do endurance races, but i'm not.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I had to spend about that much to get that 'Back of the Pack' mod for the one achievement. But I still got 50 mils so it's okay. Good thing the game throws money at you.

Edit: Oh and there's an April Clue Thread on the Forza forums. Guess we're getting another one after all!

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 1, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Didn't anticipate another DLC coming out!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No reason not to expect more DLC; Forza 5 kept pumping it out until Horizon 2 was nearly out. It's just that you only get the first six included in the Car Pass.

FM 5 got eight full car packs and a few booster packs: http://forzamotorsport.wikia.com/wiki/Forza_Motorsport_5/Downloadable_Content

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If forza 5 is any indication you'll start to see sponsored packs Like the quote 2017 Kia Optima pack" with a few new cars as a glorified commercial with one or two ported cars from older games (like a FC god drat i)

edit:

quote:

Clue #1 Car #1
I’m so not into zombie movies, well maybe “Night of the Living Dead” but that’s it.

Clue #1 Car #2
If offered would you take the red pill or the black pill?

Clue #1 Car #3
You bought her a what? Oh, ok, I guess that’s ok.

Clue #1 Car #4
At first I wondered why this car was in the pack but then someone reminded me of that one episode and it made perfect sense.

Clue #1 Car #5
Entirely out of character but awesome nonetheless.

Clue #1 Car #6
I didn’t know you had a twin sister? Now that I do I can’t decide who is prettier.

Clue #1 Car #7
If enough people wave their checkbooks, apparently they will build it.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 2, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
ABS is such a bad joke in this game. I know there's more computing power in your average set of driving assists than an XBox is going to be able to provide while doing everything else in the game at 60fps, but it really shouldn't be that hard to make braking perform better than 99% of humans are capable of let alone me after five minutes of practice. That's not even considering what manual braking lets you do if you end up on loose ground.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 4, 2016

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Turn10 hasn't given 2 shits about realism since they realized they're the only console simulator in town. Picking manual+clutch is faster in cars that don't even offer a manual transmission. Fly-by-wire supercars can have all their assists turned off. The ABS in a base Kia performs better than the ABS in a Forza supercar.

If Forza 7 introduced blue shells to the multiplayer, it would not affect the realism.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well that's the trade off Turn 10 made when they opted for car count and track variety.

And let's not pretend like they haven't been rewarded for that decision either.

I'd like to see Forza push further into sim aspects, although the actual player feedback and data suggests that only a minority care about true-to-life ABS or other car-specific features.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

They kinda haven't been rewarded for that though. AFAIK, Forza 2 remains the best selling game in the series, with each subsequent release selling fewer copies than the last.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to say that will improve now that Forza is supposedly going to Windows 10, but it's gonna be on the Windows Store and not Steam, so the effort is wasted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you ever thought Forza would go on steam, you're out of your mind. Microsoft lives in a weird bubble where they think all their dumb ideas will work. Games for Windows Live came and went. This windows store will probably die in a few years and then they'll try something new after that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never thought Forza would go on Windows period, so moot point. I still don't really believe we will see a full Forza on PC.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Maybe it'll be on PS4 once they get that cross-platform multiplayer working.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cross play with Forza and Gran Turismo.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unironically would own. Stupid companies being proprietary hurts gamers only.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I want to say that will improve now that Forza is supposedly going to Windows 10, but it's gonna be on the Windows Store and not Steam, so the effort is wasted.

The Windows Store has the potential to be the best thing to happen to PC gaming in awhile. Properly sandboxed games that are buy-once play-anywhere could be huge, but even if that doesn't take off I'd still be glad to never see Punkbuster again. Steam hasn't done anything that hasn't been replicated by Origin and GOG by now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Meh. Supercars are boring, "The all new XXX" is boring, the XJS is the only car i care about on that list.

I want the honda fit and chevy spark back, I'm becoming a cubavore-esque forza 4 fan now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, I honestly don't like any of the cars this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
R/forza hates this pack

Because of course they do

• Locked thread