Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

deimos posted:

Yeah FLSA fucks exempts. I sort of agree with flosofl that it should be the exception but employers can require you to do whatever they want wrt overtime.

(source: http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html )
flsa.com is actually run by some law firm that got lucky. Also, don't forget there's a section in the FLSA titled Exemption for Employees in Computer-Related Occupations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

deimos posted:

Yeah FLSA fucks exempts. I sort of agree with flosofl that it should be the exception but employers can require you to do whatever they want wrt overtime.

(source: http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html )

I agree FLSA doesn't do poo poo, but your contract/employment agreement that gets signed at the start does. I know mine says I get X compensation for a work week of 40 hours excepting paid holidays and PTO. I just checked my copy to make sure it's there. I would never have signed it without that spelled out. I also wouldn't have signed if it had an overly restrictive no-compete clause (mine boils down to: you can't have a concurrent job working for a competitor).

If you feel you're being taken advantage of, I recommend you take a copy to an employment lawyer for a consult. If you signed yourself away like that, all you can do is take it as a lesson learned and look for a better company to work for.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hmm it looks here on your review that you haven't been a team player this year! You'll only be getting 50% of your normal raise, and I'd like to see a better attitude mister!

50% of nothing is also nothing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pro-Tip; Work with old people. The older they are, the more ingrained they are to push back on work / life balance issues. The average age for my IT department is in the 40s and that's only because I pull the average down by a bit. If I work a single hour outside of my 9-5 I get an hour of comp time. Last minute requests for maintenance / shift covering is unheard of and will end with somebodies head getting bitten off.

Last company I worked for had an average age of 30 and off-hour work was constant and expected. Last minute requests to change schedules or stay late for maintenance was common. It sucked.

This is truth. My previous team lead is young, single, and has almost no bills (like seriously, he lives in the house he took over when his grandma died). He's worked here all of his professional life and has absolutely no concept of things that happen when you get married, have kids, buy a house, etc. He would give people poo poo all the time when they tried to work-from-home after a long night of oncall poo poo, and would stare at you blankly when you responded "No, I don't have $800 to drop on that black friday TV deal right now" and talk about how he knows we make more than him (which is true, but I'm supporting 5 people on a lot less than 5x what he's making).

New Team lead is older, has kids, etc. He's cool with everything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A ticket came inMy PC just went dark in the middle of working. Some idiot in the warehouse keeps plugging a forklift charger into an outlet on the other side of my office wall which of course is behind the same fuse as all the outlets in my office and the fuse always trips because it can't handle that poo poo. I told the warehouse manager around five years ago to find another place for the charger.

So I super-glued the socket shut :shrug:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Things pissing me off:
I randomly selected a few clients to do some stats on.
Despite regular monthly reporting on these matters, I still see no improvement in software and media piracy. ~2000 users in the survey - over 65000 pieces of copyrighted software and media.
Yet I still get called on to answer for crypto-locking outbreaks in these sonofabitch clients.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

Things pissing me off:
I randomly selected a few clients to do some stats on.
Despite regular monthly reporting on these matters, I still see no improvement in software and media piracy. ~2000 users in the survey - over 65000 pieces of copyrighted software and media.
Yet I still get called on to answer for crypto-locking outbreaks in these sonofabitch clients.

Web Filters might help with that. Maybe shut down the ports these applications use?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Since I've got one of those poo poo assignments that requires me to rebuild everything from the ground up, does anyone have any good recommendations for a thorough network documentation template?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
http://sydiproject.com/

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hmm it looks here on your review that you haven't been a team player this year! You'll only be getting 50% of your normal raise, and I'd like to see a better attitude mister!

Hahaha, Americans, raise your hand if you ever got more than a token inflation raise without a promotion.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

PassTheRemote posted:

Web Filters might help with that. Maybe shut down the ports these applications use?

Yeah, web filters do help with that. The problem is, between my report and the outbreak, some little spanner is supposed to apply my remediation recommendations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jerry Cotton posted:

A ticket came inMy PC just went dark in the middle of working. Some idiot in the warehouse keeps plugging a forklift charger into an outlet on the other side of my office wall which of course is behind the same fuse as all the outlets in my office and the fuse always trips because it can't handle that poo poo. I told the warehouse manager around five years ago to find another place for the charger.

So I super-glued the socket shut :shrug:

Did you do the same for the warehouse socket?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bigass Moth posted:

Hahaha, Americans, raise your hand if you ever got more than a token inflation raise without a promotion.

I got 5.5% base and 16% bonus this year. Sorry you work at a lovely company.

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I've worked at this place for 5 years and have gotten a 10% raise plus a 5% bonus each year I've been here. I work at a web development company so it might be different.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Okay so maybe you guys can help. This is my first time seriously working with GPOs and I can't figure out what's going on. I have a software program that is supposed to be installing on all computers, but doesn't seem to be installing. In Group Policy Management, I ran the Group Policy Modeling Wizard and the results of that show that it should be applying the GPO to the OU, but when I run gpresult on my machine, it isn't showing up as applied or denied. I have access to the network share where the .msi is saved.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just thinking through the process real fast, hmm... when you assigned the msi package to the computers, you're supposed to put in the UNC path instead of clicking the browse button on one of the dialog boxes. Perhaps that might be where you hit a problem.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

For two years running.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

Okay so maybe you guys can help. This is my first time seriously working with GPOs and I can't figure out what's going on. I have a software program that is supposed to be installing on all computers, but doesn't seem to be installing. In Group Policy Management, I ran the Group Policy Modeling Wizard and the results of that show that it should be applying the GPO to the OU, but when I run gpresult on my machine, it isn't showing up as applied or denied. I have access to the network share where the .msi is saved.

Are users local admins? Some GPOs under user policies will run with the user rights on login. I hosed up a new shortcut deployment by assigning the shortcut to the Public folder, and anybody without local admin didn't get the shortcut because they don't have write access to that folder. I ended up running it as a powershell script that used domain admin rights.

Which, for installing a program, I highly recommend powershell anyway. You can do it while users are logged in and record results to a file instead of just assuming GPO worked. And people tend to bitch if their computer takes 3 minutes to log in because they don't realize software is installing in the background.

Do you have an AD cluster controlling GPOs? I've seen GPOs take 5 minutes to actually apply to my computer using gpupdate because of the replication delay.

Bigass Moth posted:

First job I worked lowballed me on the initial offer because I lacked experience. While working there I managed to grab 40% in raises, which got me to just below market value for my skills. I could have stayed for another 20% but I left for somewhere with benefits. Companies that value hard work are willing to pay for it, sorry if this isn't your case.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 5, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Is the software install relatively simple and straightforward as well? Have you made sure that it installs silently without any user interaction needed?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I work for one of the largest banks in North America and get a 1-2% raise a year. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So I got a tough one the other day.

Guy accidentally deleted his ppt file and didn't know what to do.
'No problem' I thought, we can just restore it.

It took about 10 minutes of him failing to locate the 'accidentally deleted' file in any number of folders (maybe because it was deleted?) before he took my suggestion of going to File>Recent in Powerpoint and checking the filepath listed there.

All forgivable offenses, right? We all go out to lunch once in a while.
Well, unfortunately for him the file path of the missing file was non existent. There is no drive mapped to K:, there never was. Here's where the fun part starts:

On a whim I asked him if the file was on a thumb drive.
"Yes."
Eureka! I asked him to plug the thumb drive into the computer. It's drive K:
"Okay."
Is the file there?
"No."
Well what's on the thumb drive?
"<name of missing file>"
Dude, what the gently caress? You literally just said it wasn't there.
"No this file is here, but it's not MYYYYY file."
...C'mon dude I don't have time to play loving "guess my problem"
"No this is the file I started with, but I made changes."
Did you save them?
"No. Doesn't Powerpoint do that automatically?"

Then he went on some long rant about how office needs to keep a running changelog of all the changes made to all his files so that he can revert back to whatever state, and pick and choose parts of files, and a whole other realm of poo poo that didn't even make sense. Like some sort of "Microsoft Office String Theory Pro for Multi Universe"

I just said that I totally agree that Office products should not save work as files but time-traveling-metaphysical-gravity-bending databases.
I'll be sure to submit a feature request to M$.

Seriously though, please no one let him find out about Etherpad or Google Docs. I might have to open up a can of Black Hole.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Khisanth Magus posted:

No, I suffer from delayed sleep phase syndrome. It is a circadian rhythm disorder that means that my natural sleep cycle is signicantly later than normal, in my case being 3am to noon. No matter how tired I get from limited sleep my brain will not go to sleep before then. For people with DSPS just giving them sleeping meds to make them fall asleep sooner(the way some doctors try to "treat" it) doesn't result in any additional meaningful sleep, as your sleep cycle will wait until it's natural time anyways.

There is no real way to treat it. Despite officially being recognized a lot of doctors still refuse to take it seriously, which is the main reason I haven't gone through getting it officially diagnosed.

I've been formally diagnosed with this by a sleep doc. He had me using blue light therapy every morning. It did have the intended effect, but you're right, a one night exception screws it all up. Now I just do what you do, 4-5 hours on weekdays, 9-12 hours on weekends. I'm sure it's not the healthiest thing but there aren't many options. Don't work weekend mornings. For your sanity.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'm dumb and didn't think to use PDQ Deploy because we literally never use it in this place. So I just used PDQ Deploy instead. I'm still going to see why I couldn't get it working, but using simple solutions is much better.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Did you do the same for the warehouse socket?

I couldn't reach that because I'm now superglued to the first socket. Help.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Lick socket, load previous save.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

Lick socket, load previous save.

Now my tongue is superglued to the socket. This is getting awkward.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've only been in it for a year or so so I haven't had a chance to ride the raise gravy train, but I'm glad to see others have. My previous work experiences never had any reward or raise so excuse me if I sound jaded.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

I went a couple years with absolutely nothing. Not even cost of living, despite wonderful reviews. I actually lost money the year I got a COL raise. Health insurance ate it. Yes, I left. And yes I told management exactly why.

New place: My first year I didn't qualify for a performance raise (hadn't been there long enough), but my COL raise was more than my previous employer's COL raise.

gently caress it. It was IBM. IBM is poo poo. gently caress them for all eternity. And my new(ish) place will probably get bought by them and oh god gently caress me running we'll all quit on the goddamn spot (well, after we get whatever "Oh god don't leave until we pick your brains" bonuses).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On a whim I asked him if the file was on a thumb drive.
"Yes."
Eureka! I asked him to plug the thumb drive into the computer. It's drive K:
"Okay."
Is the file there?
"No."
Well what's on the thumb drive?
"<name of missing file>"
Dude, what the gently caress? You literally just said it wasn't there.
"No this file is here, but it's not MYYYYY file."
...C'mon dude I don't have time to play loving "guess my problem"
"No this is the file I started with, but I made changes."
Did you save them?
"No. Doesn't Powerpoint do that automatically?"

Then he went on some long rant about how office needs to keep a running changelog of all the changes made to all his files so that he can revert back to whatever state, and pick and choose parts of files, and a whole other realm of poo poo that didn't even make sense. Like some sort of "Microsoft Office String Theory Pro for Multi Universe"

I just said that I totally agree that Office products should not save work as files but time-traveling-metaphysical-gravity-bending databases.
I'll be sure to submit a feature request to M$.

Seriously though, please no one let him find out about Etherpad or Google Docs. I might have to open up a can of Black Hole.

1) What the gently caress

2) What the gently caress

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"Okay, now we just need to log out and back in."
"Shut down? Okay!"
"No, just lo..."
"Too late, I hit shut down."
"..."
"Now it's doing updates."
"..."
"Why is this taking so long?"

I mean, it's not by any means novel, but I'm just not in the mood this morning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Potato Salad posted:

1) What the gently caress

2) What the gently caress

I honestly wish I could explain with words how I got through the logic necessary to realize he had probably saved it on a thumb drive.
And then that he even had to PLUG IN the thumb drive.
I almost cried when he said he didn't save the file, and asked me to recover it.

Congratulations, you managed to figure out how to completely defeat any hope of restoring your unsaved work. Save the lock and temp files to a place that doesn't exist.

Idiocy will never cease to impress me.

odiv posted:

"Okay, now we just need to log out and back in."
"Shut down? Okay!"
"No, just lo..."
"Too late, I hit shut down."
"..."
"Now it's doing updates."
"..."
"Why is this taking so long?"

I mean, it's not by any means novel, but I'm just not in the mood this morning.

Conversely, 90% of our office thinks that "shut down" means, switch user, or log off, or turn off the monitor, or just not loving touch the thing but set the phone down and go get some coffee or something.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I honestly wish I could explain with words how I got through the logic necessary to realize he had probably saved it on a thumb drive.
And then that he even had to PLUG IN the thumb drive.
I almost cried when he said he didn't save the file, and asked me to recover it.

Congratulations, you managed to figure out how to completely defeat any hope of restoring your unsaved work. Save the lock and temp files to a place that doesn't exist.

Idiocy will never cease to impress me.

The mental gymnastics involved in thinking he had a valid IT issue that you could solve is incredible. "I don't have my file. Well, yes, I have my original file, but I changed it. I didn't save any of the changes. Where did the changes go? I did the changes on a computer, they exist somewhere even if I don't save them, computers record everything. Recover it from the hard drive that recorded the changes I did not save."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Now my tongue is superglued to the socket. This is getting awkward.
You're giving me flashbacks to building model and RC airplanes in my youth.

Oh I accidentally glued my fingers together. No worry, I'll just carefully cut the glue with this xacto knife.. Which is now glued to my thumb. And to the table. :saddowns:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Oyster posted:

I've been formally diagnosed with this by a sleep doc. He had me using blue light therapy every morning. It did have the intended effect, but you're right, a one night exception screws it all up. Now I just do what you do, 4-5 hours on weekdays, 9-12 hours on weekends. I'm sure it's not the healthiest thing but there aren't many options. Don't work weekend mornings. For your sanity.

I do apologize for all the sleep chat in this thread, if people have a problem with it I can stop talking about it.

I really should get it formally diagnosed, but after our experiences with my wife's health problems I've lost a lot of respect for the healthcare industry in general, and specifically in their ability to do more than the bare minimum to get a patient out the door. I just don't want to spend the energy to fight with a system(or even have the energy required to fight it most of the time) that is going to waste my time with diagnoses of insomnia(no, I don't have any problems falling asleep as a matter of fact, I fall asleep quite well at 3am), wasting my time with "sleep hygiene" crap that isn't going to help, and attempts to just drug away all my problems.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The mental gymnastics involved in thinking he had a valid IT issue that you could solve is incredible. "I don't have my file. Well, yes, I have my original file, but I changed it. I didn't save any of the changes. Where did the changes go? I did the changes on a computer, they exist somewhere even if I don't save them, computers record everything. Recover it from the hard drive that recorded the changes I did not save."

Though you know, the more the industry moves toward continually-saving, cloud-backed app data storage, the more people are going to come to legitimately expect automatic saving and versioning.

GDocs does it, why doesn't Office?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

You're giving me flashbacks to building model and RC airplanes in my youth.

Oh I accidentally glued my fingers together. No worry, I'll just carefully cut the glue with this xacto knife.. Which is now glued to my thumb. And to the table. :saddowns:

You type fairly well so I guess you learned to cope with your glueability?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

In a multi-tenant office tower, get into elevator and overhear the following converstation.

Person 1: Did you shutdown your computer today?
Person 2: Yeah, I do that every day.
Person 1: Did you not get the memo to not shutdown today?
Person 2: No, why, was it important?
Person 1: IT says updates that can break some systems are being forced if you shutdown, better go back up and turn your computer back on.

Everyone but one person gets off the elevator on the lobby floor.

Glad I don't work for their company.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

DigitalMocking posted:

not all of us old fucks feel that way.
#notalloldfucks

There are always exceptions. But I think of a CEO a couple jobs back who said, "At my previous office, Friday was an optional work from home day. It felt like I was the only person in the office on Fridays! I swore I'd never let that be a policy when I was in charge."

Maybe you were the only person in the office on Fridays because...everyone was working from home?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Data Graham posted:

Though you know, the more the industry moves toward continually-saving, cloud-backed app data storage, the more people are going to come to legitimately expect automatic saving and versioning.

GDocs does it, why doesn't Office?

It does if you configure it.

Why Autosave is turned off by default though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bringing back exempt chat for a minute. I recently just landed in exempt land (and meet the criteria... I guess.. the criteria is so loving stupid and vague it's not hard to meet) and my team generally was run off comp time, you work 18 hours Monday? Take time off at the end of the week etc. Well that has apparently changed and we had this discussion with my boss:

us:classiclol:: So, if we work 40 hours by wendesday, we do not get comp time and still have to come in thursday/friday?
boss:agesilaus:: We don't pay you to work 40 hours, we pay you TO DO A JOB
:classiclol:: So, if we do all of our work for the week on Monday, we don't have to come in for the rest of the week? :boom: (note: this would not be a possible scenario)
:agesilaus:: No, you would stlll have to come in for 8 hours a day the rest of the week.
:classiclol:: you just said you don't pay us for hours, but TO DO A JOB
:agesilaus:: blah blah blah (you see where this is going, I tuned out because we are not going to get a reasonable thing worked out)

So, instead of actually putting for any effort etc I just come in for 8 hours a day and hate my job while I sort of kind of look for a new one, whereas previously I mostly enjoyed my work environment, but over the past 4-6months that has gone downhill very quickly.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2016

• Locked thread