Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
http://history.nasa.gov/apollo_photo.html

"Additionally, the cameras had no reflex mirror viewfinder and instead a simple sighting ring assisted the astronaut in pointing the camera."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Enjoy your sportsfinder, Neil.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
:woop: I just received my second camera in a row off of ebay that was shipped with just the body and no packaging. Besides a single crappy food store plastic shopping bag. Even better the seller has 100% positive feedback on 381 transactions. What the hell?

huhu fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 5, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Camera isn't the Mavica: zero stars/5"

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Hey how many times before I give up and come back to photography will I be a master? I'm an idiot. :toot:

I went back through stuff I shot in the past and remembered I actually had fun, but had to get out of the house to enjoy it. Working from home all the time makes me a boring hermit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hey how many times before I give up and come back to photography will I be a master? I'm an idiot. :toot:

I went back through stuff I shot in the past and remembered I actually had fun, but had to get out of the house to enjoy it. Working from home all the time makes me a boring hermit.

Working from home probably makes it all the more important to have hobbies which drive you out of it.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

Working from home probably makes it all the more important to have hobbies which drive you out of it.

I couldn't agree more. I've been stuck in a rut for the past year really, only started to recognize it recently. Amazing how deceptive things like that can be.

nop
Mar 31, 2010
I found this gem today: https://www.audubon.org/magazine/may-june-2016/how-photograph-birds-iphone

How to photograph birds on your iPhone: Stick your phone on 4k worth of gear. :staredog:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the iPad mount.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

burzum karaoke posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the iPad mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOl6YkyRM80

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Seriously, though, the effective aperture of a spotting or birding telescope is pretty loving terrible. As in, dark dark dark. Maybe at the $4K mark the telescope manufacturers put enough wizardry into their multicoatings to make them merely "dim" rather than "lucas electrics" but I wouldn't bet on it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Really stupid question: What exactly is the difference between one of these birding telescopes and a lens (besides the eyepiece instead of a sensor)?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Popelmon posted:

Really stupid question: What exactly is the difference between one of these birding telescopes and a lens (besides the eyepiece instead of a sensor)?

Things like a curved field of focus and CA off-center are acceptable for a spotting scope but not for a camera lens.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eh, most people who own spotting scopes are old retirees with bad knees. They usually don't carry DSLRs, and the purposes of their photos are mostly to verify IDs and brag about unique finds to their birder friends.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Can someone PM me the login to the Bill Barber account? I've got some burns to post in the best photographer thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ric posted:

Can someone PM me the login to the Bill Barber account? I've got some burns to post in the best photographer thread.

Pffft.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm the solid waste compost facility worker who died and was found in a digester tube.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Fanciest toilet paper I've ever seen.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did you feed osha reports to a markov bot ?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

im the skid steer loader

gently caress a cement truck

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
But are you Hispanic?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pdx_dorkroomers.jpg:

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did you feed osha reports to a markov bot ?

No, but I did run out of label roll after about 700 inches of workplace deaths

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

700 inches of workplace deaths

Mods, name change please

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I don't know if there are any Kansas Dorkroomers out there, but I have a shot in a show at the Midwest Center for Photography. The exhibition is opening tonight, 4/29 and is called "Camera Culture". It's part of the Final Friday Art Walk stuff in Wichita. Check it out if you're from the area.

http://mwcponline.org/Midwest_Center_for_Photography/camera_culture.html

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8XxxfJ8AQ

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I don't understand modern art

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spog posted:

That's what makes it art.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

That's what makes it an atomicthumbs post

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

here try these on for size, they don't mean anything

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:shepface: this loving process

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

they don't mean anything

every one of my posts

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spog posted:

the title of the whole installation is Memorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBbC4t_gsM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well i didn't want to sleep tonight anyway

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Technically it would have had to have been a negative pressure pipe not positive though right?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Technically it would have had to have been a negative pressure pipe not positive though right?

Venturi effect bro

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
how is that art

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

how is that art

because it made you ask that question

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

how is that art

feeling pretty good today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

because it made you ask that question

that means your posting, and bratwurst's posting, are also art

because they both make me ask why a just and loving god would allow either of you to exist