Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

and I wish you luck on believing that Mike Stoklasa doesn't actually believe what he's dryly saying in the BTS bits of the reviews.

what happened to the previous four Brainiac's

Okay, so Mike Stoklasa is unfamiliar with how storyboards work. I can provisionally accept that, not knowing the guy. I hope he learns how they do work someday, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
RIP Erik Bauersfeld, voice of Admiral Ackbar and Bib Fortuna

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I really like Mike's impression of the Emperor. Pretty awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Noooo! That's not true! That's impossible!! Mike Stoklasa would never lie! He told me he was just joking!"

Search your feelings. You know it to be true!!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't see the similarities between how she and Sheev saber fight at all.

There's a stance that is very unique and somewhat 'unnatural'

but there is also the overall style - Rey hops around and retreats, drawing her opponent into an arena on her terms

MonsieurChoc posted:

You've heard it here first: Rey is Prince Ken's daughter. Glove of Darth Vader: still canon.

This does inform my theory - I mean, why not? Maybe George made some scribble in a notebook in the 80's about the Emperor's descendants and it has been kicked around the EU already? Jacen Solo basically became Kylo Ren, after all.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey is so obviously Luke's daughter it hurts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zoran posted:

There's a very slight chance she's not, but that relies on Kylo Ren being redeemed so he can be the Skywalker to carry on the legacy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Rey Palpatine.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Reybacca.

She's the reason why Leia and Chewy didn't say anything to each other. She's their shame.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna get that Best Buy steelbook today because steel is a metal and metal makes things cooler. It's a fact.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any other stores doing specials?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Target I think has a steelbook copy, but their special features is a digital code. Does Best Buy (or any other location?) have a physical special features disc with their version?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

It's incredibly obvious yeah. Now watching it at home like 3 times.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

I mean yeah if you think about it

Star wars the movies has always been about the Skywalker family so of course he abandoned her to protect her from Vader Jr. And maybe Ming the merciless was hanging around to keep an eye on her.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

euphronius posted:

It was obvious the first time i saw it bruv.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hhhat posted:

I mean yeah if you think about it

Star wars the movies has always been about the Skywalker family so of course he abandoned her to protect her from Vader Jr. And maybe Ming the merciless was hanging around to keep an eye on her.

He wasn't doing a very good job, considering she has to literally scavenge for parts in order to not starve to death.

I like the "she's Luke's daughter" theory, but it has problems. Mainly that it's a serious dick move for Luke to pull on his own daughter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He sent her away to protect her and make sure she never becomes a jedi. That's not so dickish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

He wasn't doing a very good job, considering she has to literally scavenge for parts in order to not starve to death.

I like the "she's Luke's daughter" theory, but it has problems. Mainly that it's a serious dick move for Luke to pull on his own daughter.

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, but for the sake of argument:

After what happened to the previous class of Jedi trainees, Luke may very well believe that it's safer for Rey to be as far away from him as possible. Maybe she was supposed to be in a better situation on Jakku but ended up with Plutt instead?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

He sent her away to protect her and make sure she never becomes a jedi. That's not so dickish.

I have to think there are better places to send her to than a dessert wasteland where she has to fend for herself, as a child.

jivjov posted:

I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, but for the sake of argument:

After what happened to the previous class of Jedi trainees, Luke may very well believe that it's safer for Rey to be as far away from him as possible. Maybe she was supposed to be in a better situation on Jakku but ended up with Plutt instead?

I mean, maybe, but the shot of young Rey we see in the vision seems to at least imply she was immediately left with Plutt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We don't know if it was Lukes choice to maroon her with Simon Pegg.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

We don't know if it was Lukes choice to maroon her with Simon Pegg.

True, I'm just going with what I know in the movie. If she's Luke's daughter, the most likely scenario is that he put her into hiding on Jakku.

I'm not ruling out we learn something new in the future. I just don't know that thing now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It would be an interesting twist if neither Luke nor Rey knew that he was her father, but Kylo found out somehow.

Like if Luke had had a relationship with a woman he thought dead, but she actually carried a baby to term.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Rey being related to Palpatine would be so much cooler, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The one hole is all of this and almost an inexcusable hole is that Kylo didn't recognize her.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

It would be an interesting twist if neither Luke nor Rey knew that he was her father, but Kylo found out somehow.

Like if Luke had had a relationship with a woman he thought dead, but she actually carried a baby to term.

A necrophiliac Luke would definitely be a daring direction (and it's not really necrophilia if she wasn't actually dead), but I still don't see Disney going that way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ferrinus posted:

Oh man, what if they get Ian McDiarmid back as a Force Ghost tyring to turn her to the Dark Side?

:allears:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

euphronius posted:

The one hole is all of this and almost an inexcusable hole is that Kylo didn't recognize her.

Or Han or Chewie or Maz or R2. Let's hope any parent/child storyline got resolved when Kylo offed Han and Maz flatout told Rey to give up on that part of her backstory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DARPA posted:

Or Han or Chewie or Maz or R2. Let's hope any parent/child storyline got resolved when Kylo offed Han and Maz flatout told Rey to give up on that part of her backstory.

No. JJ says her parent story is out there and will be very satisfying for fans.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ferrinus posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Palpatine the one who magically made Shmi pregnant? So technically he's responsible for Anakin and the Skywalkers?

lfield
May 10, 2008
Rey: You're my father.
Luke: No, Rey. I killed your father

My guess for the upcoming twist on empire's twist.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

euphronius posted:

No. JJ says her parent story is out there and will be very satisfying for fans.

Did he really say that? I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

We don't know Han's parents. Or Chewie's parents. Why do we need to know Rey's?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/05/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-kylo-ren-ashes

JJ answers what the ashes are in the Kylo/Rey interrogation scene.

Not grandpa's ashes

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

DARPA posted:

But we do know Chewie's dad:confused:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anti-Citizen posted:

But we do know Chewie's dad:confused:

Hell, we know what he masturbates to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I hope Rey is related to nobody we've met before. Kylo is all the Skywalker we need.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The thing is, though, Kathleen Kennedy said that the numbered Episode movies are about the Skywalker family. I guess technically that's true if you just have Kylo Ren, but it certainly implies, to me, that she wasn't just talking about the villain.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

DARPA posted:

Maz may have never met her. But Han absolutely knew who she was and you'd have to be paying zero attention to not realize this. She tells him her name and he's all "Rey..." and looks mysterious. Plus when Maz asks who she is it cuts away, implying that Han knows and tells her off-screen. Chewie and R2 probably know too, but how would we know that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hiddenriverninja posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Palpatine the one who magically made Shmi pregnant? So technically he's responsible for Anakin and the Skywalkers?

It's never stated in the movies, but effectively Palpatine has been Luke's Grandfather since at least ROTJ.

Arguably ESB has Vader basically saying "let's kill my dad and take the family business elsewhere".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DARPA posted:

It's in the making of documentary at the end of the Amazon edition.

Slight chance is was Kasden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

iSheep posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/05/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-kylo-ren-ashes

JJ answers what the ashes are in the Kylo/Rey interrogation scene.

Not grandpa's ashes

Bull honkey.

• Locked thread