Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
They could hopefully add Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain as a gobbo LL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Or Skarsnik and his murderous squigg, Gobbla.

Kaza42 posted:

A portion of players really don't like that. They prefer the conquest and expansion that has featured in all other Total War games. If that sounds like you, get Rome 2. It's a good game, despite its flaws, and you'll have fun. If razing/climate change doesn't turn you away, get Attila. It's a very solid game with a lot of DLC options (and they really are options, none of the DLC is that important) to flesh out other factions. Just don't play the Slavs, they are insultingly easy.

So, in Attila, instead of the usual "expanding to get more money to fund more armies to continue expanding and get more armies" cycle you just move to the best lands you can find, entrench yourself and defend against everyone? That sounds really fun to me.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 5, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Also worth noting that the units in Rome 2 generally look a lot cooler and more colorful than the ones in Attila, who are all varying degrees of ancient hobos.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Atilla

Angry Lobster posted:

So, in Attila, instead of the usual "expanding to get more money to fund more armies to continue expanding and get more armies" cycle you just move to the best lands you can find, entrench yourself and defend against everyone? That sounds really fun to me.

It sounds better to me, too! Thanks for all of your input, fellow goons! Sorry if my question was beating a dead horse. I guess I'll just wait until the next sale rolls around now, if only I had jumped onto that humble bundle sooner :argh:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Choyi posted:

So does anyone have any nice recommendation for where to pre order this for a good price? I'm in EU if that matters for any sort of region locked codes.

Isthereanydeal says gamesplanet uk has the cheapest preorder price. Theyre an authorized reseller so it is a legit site too.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Meh, almost makes me wish I picked up Attila at the Humble Bundle sale, but I did not want a bunch of games I already had. Then again, I had Shogun 2 installed for a year, so I should probably play that first. :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai is peak Total War

It's not going to be entirely accurate to Total Warhammer though which is a downside

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

That or you play the Huns, in which case you're an eternally mobile horde that cannot take over provinces directly. Or the Eastern Roman Empire, which is more about holding the big empire you start with together against pressure from all sides. Or the Western Roman Empire, which is more like :supaburn:"OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE WHAT DO I SAVE?":supaburn:. Or the Ssassanids, which are basically easymode as you start with a clowncar of like half a dozen vassal states, a big economy and a mostly single-front path of expansion.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Skarsnik is the logical choice for the third hero. What about future factions?

Bretonnia would have the king, basically? The green knight isn't huge on leadership.

Khemri would have Settra and ???

High Elves are easier (Teclis and his Phoenix King bro) but gently caress Elves.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vargs posted:

Also worth noting that the units in Rome 2 generally look a lot cooler and more colorful than the ones in Attila, who are all varying degrees of ancient hobos.

Both Roman factions and Sassanids are very colorful and have cool looking units.

it's just all the refugee camp factions that look like hobos even when they have elite units.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Aren't Skaven a little too big for a DLC race? I'm not too familiar with WFB lore but it was my impression that they inhabit the Old World so I was surprised not to see them in this game. I mean, I'm not too fussed about waiting for the other two games (I am going to buy everything :negative:) but I thought they would fit into the map we have for the first game more so than any expansions to that map.

gently caress I just hope we get Khemri.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
second or third game will probably had the more alternative races like the Skaven, Beastmen and the lizarg frog people

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Vlex posted:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Queen_Khalida

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nagash

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Robutt posted:

Aren't Skaven a little too big for a DLC race? I'm not too familiar with WFB lore but it was my impression that they inhabit the Old World so I was surprised not to see them in this game. I mean, I'm not too fussed about waiting for the other two games (I am going to buy everything :negative:) but I thought they would fit into the map we have for the first game more so than any expansions to that map.

Thing about the Skaven is that they're extremely fractious and prone to backstabbing, to the point where the usual misfire tables for heavy weapon in WHFB also include a 'shoot a rival' option if you play Skaven. I'm thinking that playing the Skaven would require a lot of factional influence mechanics, both to calculate the many fawning underlings you obtain on your rise to power, as well as increse the chances of those foul traitors foiling all your genius plans at the cusp of your ultimate success.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

That or you play the Huns, in which case you're an eternally mobile horde that cannot take over provinces directly. Or the Eastern Roman Empire, which is more about holding the big empire you start with together against pressure from all sides. Or the Western Roman Empire, which is more like :supaburn:"OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE WHAT DO I SAVE?":supaburn:. Or the Ssassanids, which are basically easymode as you start with a clowncar of like half a dozen vassal states, a big economy and a mostly single-front path of expansion.

Western Rome is awesome because it's Triage Hero: Total War.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nah Nagash is actually Anti Khemri. They'd have Settra, Khalida, and Sehenesmet.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Vlex posted:

Bretonnia would have the king, basically? The green knight isn't huge on leadership.

High Elves are easier (Teclis and his Phoenix King bro) but gently caress Elves.

Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet is already confirmed as the third hero for the Greenskins.

For speculation:
Bretonnia has The Fay Enchantress, The Green Knight (not a good legendary lord) and Louen Leoncoeur
High Elves have Tyrion and Teclis as the obvious Main Two. Other good options would be Imrik (he rides a dragon, but doesn't have non-End Times rules in 8th edition), Alarielle (A lot of overlap with Teclis as a pure caster), Alith Anar (A good choice, he'd have a fairly unique skirmish approach to Lording), or Eltharion the Grim (Best bet for third lord, he's pretty popular and has a monstrous gryphon mount)
Dwarfs would probably get Thorek Ironbrow, who is their Named Lord Runedude
Empire... I would love to see Valten as the third, but I like him way more than he deserves. Volkmar the Grand Theogonist would be a cool Warrior Priest character. Marius Leitdorf would have just the best General Speeches and should definitely be the third Lord.
Tomb Kings definitely get Settra. Khalida makes a good second choice, and she hates Vampires so that's a good point to set up 'These Undead Are Different'. I'd pick Arkhan the Black for the third lord, to show off the Evil Side of the Tomb Kings and be a badass wizard.
Dark Elves have another easy two Lords in Malekith and Morathi. Malus Darkblade would make for a fun third lord, with his cursed sword and unique smart Cold One mount. Shadowblade would be interesting, but may be too different from other LLs to be useful.
Wood Elves definitely get Orion. Not sure how they'd tie in his seasonal power, but Orion is awesome so he's in. Durthu comes next, a badass Treeman lord would work nicely since we already have Kholek. For the third one, Drycha could work especially if you give her more magic, but I'd prefer to get the Twins, just to have a cool two-lord unit as your Legendary Lord(s).
Skaven get Thanquol first of all, of course, and probably Skreech Verminking. Third lord, I'm not sure (not that familiar with Skaven). Maybe Skrolk to get your plague monk on? Someone else cover this.
Vampires get Vlad von Carstein. No excuses. :colbert:
Lizardmen get Lord Kroak, so they can carry around a mummified frog as a Lord. Mazdamundi is a good second choice, and there's probably enough differentiation from Kroak to be worthwhile. Kroq-Gar would be a good Saurus character, Tetto'Eko would make a good Skink, and of course Tiktaq'To just because I like his name.
Daemons of Chaos get Skarbrand, Kairos and Ku'Gath. The three named greater daemons make for an obvious set.
Ogres get... I dunno let's say Greasus Goldtooth, Skrag the Slaughterer and Golgfang Maneater I guess? I also don't know much about Ogres, I just looked up a list of named characters they get and picked three.
Beastmen get Gorth - ahahahahahahaa no. Nobody cares about beastmen.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Magni posted:

Sounds good, Barbarian Invasion was pretty fun as well but broken as gently caress, playing as the ERE was easy but fun, those ballista on carriage were hell on wheels, like Humvees with gatling guns. Fun times.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Nah Nagash is actually Anti Khemri. They'd have Settra, Khalida, and Sehenesmet.

And is basically a god, right? It would be like featuring Gork or Slaanesh.

...devs?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Vlex posted:

And is basically a god, right? It would be like featuring Gork or Slaanesh.

...devs?

Nagash is not quite that powerful, but it still a significant step up from the other legendary lords people can choose from

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Lobster posted:

Sounds good, Barbarian Invasion was pretty fun as well but broken as gently caress, playing as the ERE was easy but fun, those ballista on carriage were hell on wheels, like Humvees with gatling guns. Fun times.

By far the most broken factions were the Alemanni and the Sassanids. The Sassanids had access to the motherfucking Clibinarii Immortals, and the Alemanni had the berserkers. Both were units that were capable of annihilating vastly superior enemy forces on any difficulty.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

my dad posted:

By far the most broken factions were the Alemanni and the Sassanids. The Sassanids had access to the motherfucking Clibinarii Immortals, and the Alemanni had the berserkers. Both were units that were capable of annihilating vastly superior enemy forces on any difficulty.

Except, notably, horse archers, which clown everything in the game.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Vlex posted:

I keep running out of ammo with them.... do I just need more, or do they get some upgrades later on? I'm only 10 or so turns in on Huns.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vlex posted:

Nah, foot archers zone them out pretty handily if you can keep the enemy from charging them.

Also, clibinarii immortals are horse archers. Who are also armored like cataphracts, have armor-piercing maces for close combat, and have twice the HP of regular cavalry.

And skirmish mode doesn't trigger against berserkers, which actually made them really drat good against AI horse archers.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kaza42 posted:

Skaven get Thanquol first of all, of course, and probably Skreech Verminking. Third lord, I'm not sure (not that familiar with Skaven). Maybe Skrolk to get your plague monk on? Someone else cover this.

Ikit Claw (and by extension, Clan Skryre) is everything good about the Skaven and the wrath of the Horned Rat will strike down any who say otherwise :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Clibinarii Inmortals were utterly ridiculous, not impressive on the charge, but they would clobber fools on melee with their maces all day long with minmal casualties, like chaos chosen knights on steroids.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
God, I'd love to play a campaign with Thanquol as my leader. :allears:

I have a feeling that when the devs get around to Lizardmen they are going to loving rule. They'll have experience in giant monsters from the other factions and that's what Lizardmen are all about. And fat, magic frogs. :getin:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Vlex posted:

The Brets are looking at their king and one of their demonstrations already had Morgiana le Fey, the last one may be someone like Tancred who I think comes in a good place unlike the King and Morgiana. Khemri isn't a faction that's likely to be in the game but the High elves will vary a lot depending on the era they show up in. I personally think they'll show up in a campaign focusing on the Sundering perhaps leading up from the War of the Beard in which case it would be people more or less like Malekith and Caledor I with both of you under the Phoenix king Bel Shanar. Or if one of each from both sides of the eventual civil war, Malekith and Morathi against Caledor I and the Everqueen who I think was still the second one, not entirely sure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

God, I'd love to play a campaign with Thanquol as my leader. :allears:

I have a feeling that when the devs get around to Lizardmen they are going to loving rule. They'll have experience in giant monsters from the other factions and that's what Lizardmen are all about. And fat, magic frogs. :getin:

"Our grunt infantry stands a decent chance of eating your elite infantry and asking for seconds. Our skirmishers are only matched by the wood elves. Our wizards are giant frogs who predate your civilization. Our heavy support is dinosaurs riding other, slightly larger dinosaurs. Tremble, warm-bloods."

"wait what are these "siege weapons" and "cavalry" things you speak of"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

"Our grunt infantry stands a decent chance of eating your elite infantry and asking for seconds. Our skirmishers are only matched by the wood elves. Our wizards are giant frogs who predate your civilization. Our heavy support is dinosaurs riding other, slightly larger dinosaurs. Tremble, warm-bloods."

"wait what are these "siege weapons" and "cavalry" things you speak of"

Lizardmen have cold one riders, which are only slightly slower than other cavalry and have a very small (in theory. In practice 50%) chance to stand around doing nothing. They are also deadly in melee and armored like tanks. They also have skinks mounted on flying dinosaurs that drop ornately carved weights on people.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

They also have skinks mounted on flying dinosaurs that drop ornately carved weights on people.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet is already confirmed as the third hero for the Greenskins.

For speculation:
Ogres get... I dunno let's say Greasus Goldtooth....

You do not know what you've done. I would pay a mint just to see this loving model animated, nevermind the audio a Lord like this would have, with all the gnoblars complaining and grunting to move his fat rear end around. :allears:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can Rome 2's Wrath of Sparta be played co-op?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i maintain that the skaven can best be understood as a really big and particularly dysfunctional criminal gang. lots of ceremony and talk about honor and loyalty, and a million knives in your spine when you show weakness. get some wheel, grab a ratling gun, and get warpstone and die trying.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My friend and I tried to co-op Rome 2 tonight to make the wait easier and his game crashes on the first A.I. turn without fail (I was hosting). I really hope they actually test co-op this time around.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Kaza42 posted:

For speculation:
Bretonnia has The Fay Enchantress, The Green Knight (not a good legendary lord) and Louen Leoncoeur
High Elves have Tyrion and Teclis as the obvious Main Two. Other good options would be Imrik (he rides a dragon, but doesn't have non-End Times rules in 8th edition), Alarielle (A lot of overlap with Teclis as a pure caster), Alith Anar (A good choice, he'd have a fairly unique skirmish approach to Lording), or Eltharion the Grim (Best bet for third lord, he's pretty popular and has a monstrous gryphon mount)
Dwarfs would probably get Thorek Ironbrow, who is their Named Lord Runedude
Empire... I would love to see Valten as the third, but I like him way more than he deserves. Volkmar the Grand Theogonist would be a cool Warrior Priest character. Marius Leitdorf would have just the best General Speeches and should definitely be the third Lord.
Tomb Kings definitely get Settra. Khalida makes a good second choice, and she hates Vampires so that's a good point to set up 'These Undead Are Different'. I'd pick Arkhan the Black for the third lord, to show off the Evil Side of the Tomb Kings and be a badass wizard.
Dark Elves have another easy two Lords in Malekith and Morathi. Malus Darkblade would make for a fun third lord, with his cursed sword and unique smart Cold One mount. Shadowblade would be interesting, but may be too different from other LLs to be useful.
Wood Elves definitely get Orion. Not sure how they'd tie in his seasonal power, but Orion is awesome so he's in. Durthu comes next, a badass Treeman lord would work nicely since we already have Kholek. For the third one, Drycha could work especially if you give her more magic, but I'd prefer to get the Twins, just to have a cool two-lord unit as your Legendary Lord(s).
Vampires get Vlad von Carstein. No excuses. :colbert:
Lizardmen get Lord Kroak, so they can carry around a mummified frog as a Lord. Mazdamundi is a good second choice, and there's probably enough differentiation from Kroak to be worthwhile. Kroq-Gar would be a good Saurus character, Tetto'Eko would make a good Skink, and of course Tiktaq'To just because I like his name.
Daemons of Chaos get Skarbrand, Kairos and Ku'Gath. The three named greater daemons make for an obvious set.
Ogres get... I dunno let's say Greasus Goldtooth, Skrag the Slaughterer and Golgfang Maneater I guess? I also don't know much about Ogres, I just looked up a list of named characters they get and picked three.
Beastmen get Gorth - ahahahahahahaa no. Nobody cares about beastmen.

Finubar the Seafarer never really did much, did he?

Hellebron could a good alternate for Malekith. He could be a caster/melee hybrid, Morathi could be a caster, while Hellebron is more straight-up stabby, right?

Queek Headtaker would be a good choice for a military-minded Skaven lord. It could also present an alternate starting location to put them in more immediate conflict with Dwarves.

Be'lekor might be a good choice for the main lord of the demons.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

My friend and I tried to co-op Rome 2 tonight to make the wait easier and his game crashes on the first A.I. turn without fail (I was hosting). I really hope they actually test co-op this time around.

confirm all the mods you two might be running.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

Our skirmishers are only matched by the wood elves.

Eh, nah. Skinks aren't exactly the most buff or dangerous skirmishers. What made them great in the TT was that they complemented the army well and were dirt cheap for what they brought to the table. Being limited to javelins and blowpipes mght actually hurt them in a TW-format skirmishing battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Back when I played the tabletop, I had skinks kill giants and other monsters with their poisoned blowguns. They are were fantastic screens and harassers. My friends hated those things and would devote an inordinate amount of effort to killing them. They were probably my favorite unit in the army just because of the results you could get with two or three well placed squads.

• Locked thread