Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bloodychill posted:

Get better at it. "Their reasoning comes off as pretentious boohoohoo, they probably just didn't want to do the work boohoohoo, I don't even like the series anyway boohoohoo"

like jesus man

You seem much more upset than I have been, you should relax.

The fact that they actually had modeled Donut Drake and chose not to include him is pretty amusing and dumb imo, sorry you disagree.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I kinda feel that way as well but I didn't feel too bad murdering all the Greek gods so who knows.

The Greek Gods were assholes though; the Viking gods are like...well, working class assholes. Somehow they just feel more cheeky and charming, rather than tyrannical and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Aztec Kratos would be pretty cool too imho

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Are there any games on ps4 that scratches a zelda itch? Not darksiders, bevause that game looks like poo poo.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I also just replayed the original God of War and it's still a fantastic game even though it has a few bullshit sections like the balancing beam act on Hades I think it was and the rotating spires with spikes you have to climb.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It really looks like its just Regular Kratos. I agree, if he starts GoW4 as the same endless fountain of self-sustained rage who mercilessly slaughters everything in his path ill... buy the drat game anyway because killing Hugin & Mugin with Mjollnir sounds too cool

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Aphrodite posted:

It's the same Kratos.

So, what, did Kratos use the time travel powers he got from the Sisters of Fate?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

I'm enjoying all these pots, thx.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Attitude Indicator posted:

Are there any games on ps4 that scratches a zelda itch? Not darksiders, bevause that game looks like poo poo.

The Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus is a Zelda 2 homage. It's got some flaws, I'm more tepid on it than some others, but if you like *that style* of Zelda, it's probably what you want.

Traditional Zelda clones, I dunno. If you have a PC, you should check out Anodyne, it's 8 bux and a very good top-down Zelda with a weird, haunting, surrealistic bend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

El Hefe posted:

I also just replayed the original God of War and it's still a fantastic game even though it has a few bullshit sections like the balancing beam act on Hades I think it was and the rotating spires with spikes you have to climb.

Even as a dumb fanboy of this hate filled rear end in a top hat murderer simulator I have to say I wish they would completely forget about most of the puzzles and platforming sections. I enjoy the latter for the set pieces they use but they could tone the difficulty down completely and it would be just as great and not require a bunch of frustrating retries.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

So, what, did Kratos use the time travel powers he got from the Sisters of Fate?
The original idea of the games is that Kratos would basically kill off the Greek mythology, which would then be the catalyst for another mythology. Then he'd have to fight his way thru that mythology, which would again, be the catalyst for another one, basically, working his way thru all of the religions. That didn't end up panning out, but it looks like they may be trying to do something like that with this new game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Remote Play!!!! can't wait to play with triggers and a big screen!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Donut Drake is a dumb hill for your last stand.

I have been cautious about Uncharted 4 since this Eurogamer interview with Neil Druckmann from a couple of months ago. I'm not sure how well what sounds like the autobiographical tale of Druckmann's mid-life crisis will mix with the dumb Indiana Jones action game. Drake weighing his work/life balance while murdering hundreds of goons doesn't sound fun.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I like that this is apparently coming true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbfNhNwk9OE

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly it looks like a reincarnation of Kratos. He doesn't have his signature ash white look.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

grrarg posted:

Donut Drake is a dumb hill for your last stand.

Oh now, don't be like that, I've lots of stands left in me.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The original idea of the games is that Kratos would basically kill off the Greek mythology, which would then be the catalyst for another mythology. Then he'd have to fight his way thru that mythology, which would again, be the catalyst for another one, basically, working his way thru all of the religions. That didn't end up panning out, but it looks like they may be trying to do something like that with this new game.

I just hope they do something a bit different with Kratos. Him shouting constantly felt like a joke by God of War 3, which IMO is meant to absolutely portray him as a terrifying monster. The death of Poseidon turns the thing around and forces you, the player, to watch the horrible violence through Kratos' victims' eyes. The fact that Kratos is basically an inhuman force of death ties in to the fact that ultimately, he "dies" to save mankind, and becomes a weird, warped messiah figure by the end of it.

They have to start him fresh at this point, much of the old character is dead and buried. Even Kratos, at the end, seems to be tired of all this poo poo.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus is a Zelda 2 homage. It's got some flaws, I'm more tepid on it than some others, but if you like *that style* of Zelda, it's probably what you want.

Traditional Zelda clones, I dunno. If you have a PC, you should check out Anodyne, it's 8 bux and a very good top-down Zelda with a weird, haunting, surrealistic bend.

i'm lukewarm on zelda 2, but i'll give it a look.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shindragon posted:

Honestly it looks like a reincarnation of Kratos. He doesn't have his signature ash white look.

That is what I want it to be. I don't want it to literally be the same guy who cut off Hermes' legs so he could steal his shoes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If zach snyder made videogames, he'd make GOW.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for the polygon link but I'm excited as gently caress about this:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/5/11366326/god-of-war-4-concept-art-kratos-norse-mythology

I feel like a giant fanboy idiot right now because I'm a huge Norse mythology nerd and God of War is one of my favorite game series. I've been waiting since the PS4 for any kind of GoW leaks or news so today is a lovely day. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be bullshit.

e for screenshot archive: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1204440

Viking Kratos is badass

Are there actually any good pictures of Viking Kratos? I kept clicking on thumbnails and eventually I found a side/back angle of him. Is that all there is? I don't care enough to click on all those thumbnails of concept art of areas and leaves and poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

Are there actually any good pictures of Viking Kratos? I kept clicking on thumbnails and eventually I found a side/back angle of him. Is that all there is? I don't care enough to click on all those thumbnails of concept art of areas and leaves and poo poo.

From a different article:

I can't imagine getting excited for GoW in 2016, honestly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snak posted:

https://i.imgur.com/awxccTl.png

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If the new GoW ends up being a fun game, Kratos can be 10 kinds of stupid for all I care. That's his whole gimmick. He fucks up everything and blames everyone else and has a huge shitfit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Hefe posted:

Aztec Kratos would be pretty cool too imho

So... a new Mark of Kri? Yes please.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It being Kratos would be a huge buzzkill. I also hope that they take this character in a different direction. Kratos' pathos was consistent but SO boring after 3-6 games, I'd love for a more sincere storyline, like fighting for your son's soul to go to Valhalla, or maybe your daughter got chosen to be a Valkyrie and you're like Hell Naw!

If its a big "Aha, i was pulling the strings all along!" Shtick again ill be so over it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Thanks.

quote:

I'm not. I've never been excited about GoW. Played the first one once at a console gaming night.

Someone said Viking Kratos looked badass, and I like badass vikings. That was my sole interest.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Excited for the Kratos vs Jesus fight in God of War 8

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god of bore

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I feel like the Holy Trinity as a boss fight would be interesting. Jesus takes physical, and only physical damage, the Holy Spirit only takes magical damage, and the Father just shoots beams of death from offscreen. That turn you into a pillar of salt if you get hit by them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harlock posted:

Kratos was enjoying that water and didn't want any god damned wine, he was in the desert for gently caress's sake.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Oh so that's where donut drake went

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

Oh so that's where donut drake went

Cruller Kratos

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean I've loved every GoW, but I want this to happen so bad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry for the polygon link but I'm excited as gently caress about this:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/5/11366326/god-of-war-4-concept-art-kratos-norse-mythology

I feel like a giant fanboy idiot right now because I'm a huge Norse mythology nerd and God of War is one of my favorite game series. I've been waiting since the PS4 for any kind of GoW leaks or news so today is a lovely day. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be bullshit.

e for screenshot archive: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1204440

Viking Kratos is badass

Sorry, but KRATOS is the problem with God of War. I'm not an early 2000's angsty teenager mad-at-the-world.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

Enter the Gungeon is a very fun roguelike (ranged attacks), but Hyper Light Drifter is also coming out for PS4 later this year. Just came out on PC.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

That is what I want it to be. I don't want it to literally be the same guy who cut off Hermes' legs so he could steal his shoes.

Oh I'm totally on board if it's just a reincarnation of him.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So do you replace all the shouts of "AREEEES" with "THOOOOOR" or Loki?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yggdrasil!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Enter the Gungeon is a very fun roguelike (ranged attacks), but Hyper Light Drifter is also coming out for PS4 later this year. Just came out on PC.

I am looking forward to Hyper Light Drifter, but I am afraid it might be very short?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Sorry, but KRATOS is the problem with God of War. I'm not an early 2000's angsty teenager mad-at-the-world.

Kratos is kind of fascinating in how really warped he becomes over the course of the games. He's always been an absolute monster, morally speaking, but he's a caricature of an ancient time. He was the perfect sort of protagonist for God of War. He's basically a Greek hero in the classic definition turned up to 11. Where one hero killed one Minotaur and one Medusa, he kills dozens. He's supposed to be this sort of caricature of ancient Greece, and an unflattering one.

Problem is, he never loving stops. And the player never stops. And by the end of God of War 2 you find yourself just brutally killing people whose sole sin seems to be arrogance, and you are doing things like destroying the system that governs destiny, life and death, killing Perseus. By God of War 3 you've flooded the planet, made all life on earth fester, and you don't stop, Kratos never at any point seems to care about the consequences of any of his actions. God of War 3 turns this on its head a bit with its ending, but it also leaves absolutely nowhere for Kratos to go. He's literally destroyed and remade the world, through sheer single-minded genocide.

Kratos only exists to kill, which makes me, the player, feel slightly more detached from the action, because that's not really why I'm here. I'm here to have a good time, to have an experience, to get sucked into another world. I don't want to get sucked into a world where I'm a genocidal prick...or, at the very least, I want to consent ahead of time first. If God of War: Viking is gonna work, it needs to give Kratos or whoever this lead character is, an actually good motivation for why he's taking such drastic action. Or else, it needs to squarely cement that yes, he is the villain of this story. Either could work, but GOW2 and 3 sort of try to play it both ways and neither is willing to make the call one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Also, i'm going to be very mad if they don't get Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston for Thor and Loki voices.

• Locked thread