Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't think that derpy looking thing was ever available in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's a pretty clean Katan.......oh

I like my triumph. 55000 miles and running like a champ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Flikken posted:

I like my triumph. 55000 miles and running like a champ.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it bears a more than passing resemblance to later katanas

Nitrox posted:

I don't think that derpy looking thing was ever available in the US

The original katana? It was absolutely offered in the us, and stands as the first and last time the katana was ever serious about anything, and was an amazing looking bike to boot.

Also I would buy that anime model just for the bike and ditch the figurine.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 3, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also I would buy that anime model just for the bike and ditch the figurine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-14010-1-12-Suzuki-GSX1100S-Katana-Plastic-Model-kit-/391389607663?hash=item5b20a376ef:g:BBQAAOSwl8NVad8R

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Even better!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

And now let's see that from the other side:

LOL, pretty much.

Man, good thing they want me to pick it up ASAP:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 3, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How is LA to SF on HWY1 looking next week Wednesday/Thursday on? I was planning on being able to do Phx -> LA -> SF -> LA -> Phx starting Wednesday and ending Sunday. I don't really plan these things.

General itinerary -
Wednesday - Phx to LA and start up to maybe Santa Barbara.
Thursday - SB to SF
Friday - Hang out in SF / ride the area
Saturday - SF to LA
Sunday - LA to Phx

Realistic?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 4, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that's realistic if you like putting in miles and can handle the mental drain of doing 400 miles of twisty riding.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Santa Barbara to San Francisco on Hwy 1 is like 8 hours of two-lane road. Awesome, but challenging. Also, last time I was down around San Simeon, there was a mudslide that had closed off the whole road and I ended up having to backtrack for an hour to get back to the 101. It was around this time of year, too, so be aware of that possibility.

Still a better experience than superslabbing it on the 5, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So, assuming it's not an extremely cunning ruse to nick my bike, I'm going to be involved in market research for "a leading manufacturer" about what Discerning Motorcyle Enthusiasts like myself want to see in bikes in 2017/18. I#m guessing it's basically going to be two hours of

"What do you think about bikes that look sort of like a GS?"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

How is LA to SF on HWY1 looking next week Wednesday/Thursday on? I was planning on being able to do Phx -> LA -> SF -> LA -> Phx starting Wednesday and ending Sunday. I don't really plan these things.

General itinerary -
Thursday - SB to SF
Saturday - SF to LA
Sunday - LA to Phx

Realistic?

I did SF to Pismo a few years ago and it was an exhausting all-day thing. I wouldn't count on enjoying the curves on the coast due to traffic, but you could get lucky.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So, assuming it's not an extremely cunning ruse to nick my bike, I'm going to be involved in market research for "a leading manufacturer" about what Discerning Motorcyle Enthusiasts like myself want to see in bikes in 2017/18. I#m guessing it's basically going to be two hours of

It'll be honda asking about parallel twins.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So, assuming it's not an extremely cunning ruse to nick my bike, I'm going to be involved in market research for "a leading manufacturer" about what Discerning Motorcyle Enthusiasts like myself want to see in bikes in 2017/18.

Electrics that work/don't melt down within two months of purchase? :italy:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As a discerning motorcycle enthusiast in the important 35-45 y.o. male demographic, our clients, who are a major motorcycle manufacturer, would like to how how positive or negative a reaction to the words "Scrambler", "Lipstick", "Pig".

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

BlackMK4 posted:

General itinerary -
Thursday - SB to SF
Saturday - SF to LA
Sunday - LA to Phx

Realistic?

I found SF-LA surprisingly doable in light traffic (swallowing a fistful of ibuprofen before setting off helps) and less draining than an equivalent distance of interstate slab. I'd be dreading the LA/Phx legs more because I find maintaining focus when there's nothing to do much harder.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'll totally jump on that whole 'picking the bike up' thing.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

goddamnedtwisto posted:

hah, I was just thinking today how every sport tourer now looks like an f800. I miss the 990 adventure, it was loving ugly from just about any angle but at least it had character.

Also, what happened to the Ducati streetfighter range and the KTM RC8?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For a lark I decided to run my details through one of those insurance doodads, since I picked up a years no claims bonus last week when the 125 expired.

Best quote for a year is roughly 3 times what I'm currently paying per month :wtc: (numbers: £165/pa vs £52/pm)

Guess I should give my provider a call to negotiate a probably exorbitant cancellation/switch fee. Yaaaay

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Qine! :argh: haven't hosed that up in years. I blame Awful shuffling the post menu around.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah I'll totally jump on that whole 'picking the bike up' thing.

Main road looks pretty clear, man up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Lol, the market research company wants me to bring "two clippings or pictures that describe how motorcycles make you feel", but they can't contain motorcycles. I'm thinking the first chapter of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and this smiley: :smuggo:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol, the market research company wants me to bring "two clippings or pictures that describe how motorcycles make you feel", but they can't contain motorcycles. I'm thinking the first chapter of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and this smiley: :smuggo:

That's a pretty standard qualitative focus group homework assignment. Just be glad you weren't asked to make a middle-school style collage board.

Make sure you loudly interrupt the other people while you're there, moderators love that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

That's a pretty standard qualitative focus group homework assignment. Just be glad you weren't asked to make a middle-school style collage board.

Make sure you loudly interrupt the other people while you're there, moderators love that.

You've seen my posting style, what makes you think anyone else will be able to get a word in anyway?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol, the market research company wants me to bring "two clippings or pictures that describe how motorcycles make you feel", but they can't contain motorcycles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is this the p-twin face?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

Is this the p-twin face?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm thinking the first chapter of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and this smiley: :smuggo:

This owns and you own.

Thumper face.

I just bought highway high mpg sprockets and a good chain for the cost of a Friday night at the club. If I had wanted, I could have spent the same or less and gotten a 100 mph top speed reduced to 81, with the same torque, for face melting acceleration. Getting butt dyno bang for the buck like this in a car would cost thousands. Love bieks and everything about them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I vote for the leather-daddiest picture of Rob Halford you can find.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In my mind twisto looks and sounds exactly like rob halford already.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Haha! P-twin NC700 or CB500.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Is this the p-twin face?

Actually this is the parallel twin face

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

In my mind twisto looks and sounds exactly like rob halford already.

I'm way into bear territory these days, i'd never be able to pull of the leatherman look with my hips. However I now insist you all think of me as looking like the bastard gaybaby offspring of Rob Halford and Buster Bloodvessel, simply because the mention of Rob Halford earlier sent me on a Youtube wander that started with Breakin' The Law and somehow ended up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6fQnTyEniM

and it's considerably better than the reality, that I look - in the words of an ex-girlfriend - like a rejected boy-band member who's been drinking for 20 years and screaming at One Direction posters.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

I just bought highway high mpg sprockets and a good chain for the cost of a Friday night at the club. If I had wanted, I could have spent the same or less and gotten a 100 mph top speed reduced to 81, with the same torque, for face melting acceleration. Getting butt dyno bang for the buck like this in a car would cost thousands. Love bieks and everything about them.

Wait until you get a motorcycle that does 81mph in first gear if you run it all the way out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why does everyone have such a hate-on for parallel twins? Is is just because a lot of boring motorcycles use that layout?

Like, V-twins are awesome, but I don't see how e.g. a 90-degree 750cc V2 with an 11:1 compression ratio would feel any different from a 270-degree 750cc I2 with an 11:1 compression ratio. And I imagine the crank angle doesn't make much of a difference anywhere except the racetrack, either.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Why does everyone have such a hate-on for parallel twins? Is is just because a lot of boring motorcycles use that layout?

Like, V-twins are awesome, but I don't see how e.g. a 90-degree 750cc V2 with an 11:1 compression ratio would feel any different from a 270-degree 750cc I2 with an 11:1 compression ratio. And I imagine the crank angle doesn't make much of a difference anywhere except the racetrack, either.

Yeah, that thing. Plus even firing is too consistent to have "soul". You gotta wonder if it's gonna run a little if it's gonna really stir the loins.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Like your love life, it's a joke.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
(please don't hurt me)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I mean that is the thing, lots of bikes with soul/character/crippling servicing bills have been p-twins, but in the modern era it's the engine of choice for cheap, simple bikes. Mostly that's because as technology has advanced, the difficulties of getting a parallel twin to put out enough power to meet the rising standard for "exciting" have met the expense of making v-twins coming down.

I think the Laverda Formula was the last attempt at making a parallel twin properly-fast, and maybe if it hadn't been quite so Italian it might have staved off the layout's move into pipe-and-slippers territory for a few more years at least.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have ridden exactly two parallel twins that were exciting: an rd350, whose exciting-ness was probably in spite of it being a parallel twin, and a Honda cl450, which was a great bike with a somehow interesting ptwin.

The versys made me swear them off for a good long time though, which is a shame because the versys is an otherwise outstanding bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've ridden a few vintage Triumphs and Nortons, they were quite a lot of fun.