Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Drone posted:

Re-watching some Blorg videos. Where exactly is cKnoor from? I've been trying to figure out his accent (as a non-British person) for ages.

Blood bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Riso posted:

Blood bowl.

He is from the country of Blood Bowl, yes. That green and pleasant land.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Indeed. Trapped with ethan for all eternity forced to play a bad game..

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I think hes from Norway/Sweden and is either one of those Scandinavians who ended up with an accent variation that's hard to place because it sounds like somewhere from the Anglosphere (One of my Swedish friends whose lived in Sweden his whole life and never left, for example, sounds American) - Or lived outside of it long enough.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is it a common thing for Europeans to have a slightly British element to their English speech? Because I noticed in a talk by Rami Ismail that even though he's Dutch, his accent sounded more British, and then I thought "well duh, Europeans would probably learn to speak British English... right?" Same as Canadians learn to speak Quebecois French. But I'd never definitely noticed it with anybody else, so maybe I'm completely mistaken?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DStecks posted:

Is it a common thing for Europeans to have a slightly British element to their English speech? Because I noticed in a talk by Rami Ismail that even though he's Dutch, his accent sounded more British, and then I thought "well duh, Europeans would probably learn to speak British English... right?" Same as Canadians learn to speak Quebecois French. But I'd never definitely noticed it with anybody else, so maybe I'm completely mistaken?

I've lived in Europe (Germany) for four years now and I've only really heard it a handful of times, and in all of those cases it was because either that person had married a British person and picked up some of their accent in their English, or they've spent a considerable amount of time in the UK.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In my (limited) experience people speak whatever the accent of whoever taught them speaks. So if someone learns english primarily from the brits they speak it with a slight british accent, if you learn spanish from cubans you speak it with a cuban accent, etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There's two main schools of English teaching when it comes to accents; received pronunciation and yank newscaster, which I forget is called (It's the clear midwestern one that all the news anchors have).

What you actually end up learning most of the time is, like Agean90 said, whatever your English teachers had. But you can still tell which they learned most of the time, like how they use u or if they watch a shitload of either English or yank TV.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

In my (limited) experience people speak whatever the accent of whoever taught them speaks. So if someone learns english primarily from the brits they speak it with a slight british accent, if you learn spanish from cubans you speak it with a cuban accent, etc.

Yeah, that's how accents get passed on down through the generations - or at least did before that Midwestern/General American accent took over television :argh:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
For older generations mid-Atlantic is another influence because Hollywood taught people how to speak english. So they have this weird yanko-Brit accent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DStecks posted:

Not sure it's still the case (though I expect so), but here in Denmark, English as a subject was specifically British English* when I was a kid. Using American phrases, spelling, or pronunciation, counted against you for your grades. They did allow non-British English in theory, though the bar here for not having that count against you was basically "Be an American with a clearly American accent", at least that was how it was explained to us. Of course that still has to compete with the fact that the majority of media (not just foreign media) consumed here is non-dubbed American.

*Which I realize is not really one thing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

There's two main schools of English teaching when it comes to accents; received pronunciation and yank newscaster, which I forget is called (It's the clear midwestern one that all the news anchors have).

GenAm (General American)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

I've lived in Europe (Germany) for four years now and I've only really heard it a handful of times, and in all of those cases it was because either that person had married a British person and picked up some of their accent in their English, or they've spent a considerable amount of time in the UK.

The difference is that in Germany, all English-language shows are dubbed so we can't learn from the TV.
I don't think I've ever seen an English teacher try to correct someone's accent either so we don't even try to pronounce "th" correctly.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Have they said anything about HoI 4 in regards to the ability to shift nations into non-historical alliances. Like Communist USA for example? It was so tedious trying to make it work in HoI 3.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You could but it sounds like it would be alot of hassle and civil wars to do it in single player

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

GenAm (General American)
Yeah, it's been getting more popular over the years, especially for some areas outside of Europe because it's cheaper.

Accents are interesting, for instance in the recent Daredevil series, Elektra, rather authentically, has a diplobrat received pronunciation accent they drill into all the IB students, though you can still hear the French accent through it.

Meanwhile, if you can sometimes even hear the generational divide in Taiwan and HK, where the older sound more British while the younger sound more American, partly due to changing lessons but mostly thanks to Hollywood.

Unlike most of the rest of Europe, we only dub for children here in the Nordics, so we're more likely to either keep the one we learn in school or learn the one we are intended to. Though you'll almost always hear their national accent through it unless they're very good at phonetics fiddlin'.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Obstacle2 posted:

Have they said anything about HoI 4 in regards to the ability to shift nations into non-historical alliances. Like Communist USA for example? It was so tedious trying to make it work in HoI 3.

Look at the focus tree image and all your hopes and dreams will be realized.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Obstacle2 posted:

In HoI4 you just spend some political points to get a communist agitator for a minister, and eventually you'll get a civil war where you can pick to back the communists. The USA is kinda special in this regard though, I think they have a unique modifier ("Home of the free") which makes them resistant to switching away from democracy. Germany and Russia have similar things.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

Re-watching some Blorg videos. Where exactly is cKnoor from? I've been trying to figure out his accent (as a non-British person) for ages.

Well his name is Anders so I would guess.... Sweden? Not sure though, might be Asian.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DStecks posted:

Countries that don't dub all of their TV/Movies(Germany and France tend to do this, Spain and Italy slightly less so) will usually have an American accent(or more American than British if their spoken English is poor) as American TV is just way more popular and widespread. You usually learn to write British spellings, but spoken English tends more towards an American accent.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah and I would think most peeps unknowlingly change their accent or pronounciation depending on the situation. I have been told by brits, germans etc etc that they think Im american, but when I talk to british people I somehow change my accent to become more british, its all very confusing.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Use lots of Wanker/Twat/Tosser/Dosh/oval office/Torch etc whenever you need to sound British and the accent flows on its own.

Helps if you’ve watched lots of british telly.

I did meet a bus conductor when I was in London who spoke some form of extreme mixed cockney, could barely understand a word.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My English classes in school here in Flanders were always given in a British accent, since I suppose that's seen as the proper way to teach the language in Europe, but most of the spoken English people hear outside of class is American-accented. So those who consume a lot of English-language media tend more towards American speech patterns.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If I were to take a day of flex time for a Paradox game release (Stellaris and/or HOI4), what time of day does Paradox generally push out their releases to Steam? From experience I want to say they do it before the normal Steam update time of 10am Pacific time (i.e. they deploy it live while the business day is still active in Sweden), but I'm not completely sure. tl;dr I don't know if I should take launch day or the day after.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

If I were to take a day of flex time for a Paradox game release (Stellaris and/or HOI4), what time of day does Paradox generally push out their releases to Steam? From experience I want to say they do it before the normal Steam update time of 10am Pacific time (i.e. they deploy it live while the business day is still active in Sweden), but I'm not completely sure. tl;dr I don't know if I should take launch day or the day after.

From my experience I want to say sometime before 10am Pacific, but not at a specific. I always have the feeling they have to wait for the first guy to wake up in the Valve offices before they can push the button.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yeah, we generally expect it at 9am pacific time, but it can vary a bit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Day after it is!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone posted:

Take the following long weekend because as solid as their releases have become, you and Paradox aren't immune to Murphy's law and you're going to end up on the wrong side of a stability or scripting issue if you take the release day off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

Day after it is!

Yeah I'm taking that Tuesday off to play video games :3:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao did goons have a multiple page argument because they didn't know what political correctness actually meant back in the day?

and yes, unnironically have a cultural marxism focus that causes dissent in liberal democracies. I want to see Brazilian right wingers get mad as hell about a vidja game.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mans posted:

lmao did goons have a multiple page argument because they didn't know what political correctness actually meant back in the day?

and yes, unnironically have a cultural marxism focus that causes dissent in liberal democracies. I want to see Brazilian right wingers get mad as hell about a vidja game.

You just wait for when they implement the National Focus trees of some of the minors that have more combative communities, e.g. Serbia.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

GaussianCopula posted:

You just wait for when they implement the National Focus trees of some of the minors that have more combative communities, e.g. Serbia.

You only need to wait the hours after release when the steam workshop allows for mods to get your wish.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I can't wait until Germany starts getting mods that add Holocaust related decisions to their Focus tree. Just for that extra bit of authenticity.

Wonder of Steam would ever step in and say "okay, that's enough of that" and remove things after a big enough shitstorm erupted over whatever was added.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

You only need to wait the hours after release when the steam workshop allows for mods to get your wish.

I was gonna ask if it'd be possible to add custom national focuses. Yeah there's going to be weird Serbian nationist poo poo but it'd be interesting to come up with some trees for a few of the minor countries I'm familiar with in WW2 -- mainly the commonwealth.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
The sketchy mods for Germany will be carefully worded, aka "historical accuracy" mod or "alt history" labels. But yeah day one they will be out there

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty sure Paradox can remove mods from the workshop for their games, I think Groogy has mentioned doing it for some CK2 mods in the past.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 5, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Better Germany mod
Historical Croatian Militia mod
Balanced Romani mod
Accurate Serbian Troop Bonii mod

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The And You Are Lynching Negroes Project: This mod provides flavorful events for the American internment of Japanese-American citizens and segregation laws in the US, the Sétif massacre in French Algeria, the construction of camps in British Cyprus in the event of UK victory, and other crimes of the Allied powers. Why are you asking for similar events shaming players of Axis countries? This mod is specifically meant to show that the Allied countries were no angels themselves, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Romani Fix mod: This mod fixes the representation of Roma in the game by having them all vanish by 1944. However, due to a curious quirk in the code, it also makes Jewish, homosexual, handicapped, and single mother POPs also vanish. I CANNOT FIX THIS, PLEASE DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
nice to see that we're just slinging around slurs for the roma here in the paradox thread i guess