Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finally bought the Cossacks and Common Sense expansions.

What is this poo poo about not having France take care of all my wars for me anymore?

What do you mean, "favors"?

:cripes:

Ok, ok, it was a bit silly before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's still pretty silly. Once you can ally with a France, it's still just a matter of time until you accumulate favors with them, and then they fall over themselves trying to win your war for you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

It's still pretty silly. Once you can ally with a France, it's still just a matter of time until you accumulate favors with them, and then they fall over themselves trying to win your war for you.

It's still an improvement, and if you're a smaller nation it takes 3 years per favor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pellisworth posted:

Wait, so mothballing a fleet causes the assigned sailors to just vanish (or die) instead of returning to your Sailor pool or something?

That seems pretty obnoxious if intentional.

Same deal with armies, although I think that's just as lame.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I haven't gotten El Dorado, Cossacks or Mare Nostrum, what does these actually add to the game that improves it?

Just wanted to know before I put money into them.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Pellisworth posted:

Wait, so mothballing a fleet causes the assigned sailors to just vanish (or die) instead of returning to your Sailor pool or something?

That seems pretty obnoxious if intentional.

Unfortunately sailors don't take too well to being stuffed with mothballs.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Koorisch posted:

So I haven't gotten El Dorado, Cossacks or Mare Nostrum, what does these actually add to the game that improves it?

But if you buy them, then you'll have them?*

* - I buy all of the DLCs always and this is my logic :smith:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koorisch posted:

el dorado has custom nations and a ton of new world/exploration stuff, both of which are cool. worth getting imo.

cossacks has some nice diplomacy options, very silly (but reasonably fun) steppe horde mechanics, and a profoundly mediocre 'estates' system. toss-up.

mare nostrum is a terrible cash-in by $$$aradox and also it literally just came out, who knows if it's any good? it's a spooky fuckin' mystery. godspeed!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I started screwing around with console commands to shake up the grand campaign and put some different nations on the map, but when I got around to making Romania it made the Roman Empire instead.

Type integrate WAL ROM into console , it's actually got some really good ideas and traditions.

I've also found Canada as CAN , and their first idea is singing lumberjacks. :canada:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yep, corruption is indeed a poorly implemented hoop. States are pretty annoying but I appreciate the cost discount for territories.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Well, from what I can tell from Mare Nostrum, being able to hire out your soldiers as mercenaries for hard cash does sound rather interesting.

Especially if you're just sitting around waiting for treaties and AE to go away.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Well, from what I can tell from Mare Nostrum, being able to hire out your soldiers as mercenaries for hard cash does sound rather interesting.

Especially if you're just sitting around waiting for treaties and AE to go away.

Can one hire out armies to enemies of countries you have a truce with? Could be a way to keep rivals from regaining strength while you're waiting for that 15 year truce to end.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

double nine posted:

Can one hire out armies to enemies of countries you have a truce with? Could be a way to keep rivals from regaining strength while you're waiting for that 15 year truce to end.

I don't know but apparently there is a achievement for hiring out your troops to two countries at war against each other so that's a thing at least.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Koorisch posted:

El Dorado for sure. The new world flavour stuff makes colonising much more fun, and custom nations are probably the single best DLC feature we've had in my view.

I'm not too keen on the micromanagement introduced by the other two personally.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am doing a Kongo run and what do you guys think about first idea choices? I kind of want to go for Exploration -> then...Administrative. I think Expansion would be useful, but my thinking is that I need to finish either Econ/Admin/Inovative to reform my government so I don't want to pick back to back admin ideas.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm playing fezzan for the fezzan corridor achievement and heh you can fund yourself just by raiding

Which is good because holy ssssssssssssshhhhittt fezzan's income is sad and bad.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
My first game with Cossacks and now with Mare Nostrum has been Denmark, and I'm not sure if it's because there have been new and unfamiliar mechanics both times or if it's just a country with a rough start but I find it monumentally difficult to keep any amount of money at all, what with my provinces making next to nothing and Sweden breathing down my neck the whole time.

Is this just gonna be rough until I can get Sweden integrated or is there something I'm doing radically wrong? I've been following the game's suggested route in attacking Novgorod and the Livonian Order.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just purchased and activated Art of War after buying it on sale. Launched Steam on my desktop only to find the DLC tab in the EU4 launcher greyed out with a "No available DLC" tooltip. Verified game files; restarted Steam; restarted computer. Nada.

I need my Paradox fix :ohdear:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:sigh: So much for this run.

Westernized by 1550 as Ming, had Golden Horde and Korchin as vassals and was going to diplo annex both once I had conquered all of the stuff north of Ming. Game turned super sour once I realized Commonwealth, Muscovy and Ottoman were all allied to each other and began rolling me out of Europe.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

YouTuber posted:

Westernized by 1550 as Ming, had Golden Horde and Korchin as vassals and was going to diplo annex both once I had conquered all of the stuff north of Ming. Game turned super sour once I realized Commonwealth, Muscovy and Ottoman were all allied to each other and began rolling me out of Europe.

What were your goals for the game? It's only 1600..you have so much time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

YouTuber posted:

ur map is sick :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hey remember how I was ranting about fabricating claims being a lovely way to expand?

Now you need a Spy Network of strength 10 to even access claims fabrication as a mission.

Edit: disregard I don't know how this poo poo works yet.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 6, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Hey remember how I was ranting about fabricating claims being a lovely way to expand?

Now you need a Spy Network of strength 10 to even access claims fabrication as a mission.

is that good or bad?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

is that good or bad?

good I think?

You can just buy a claim with 10 Spy Network strength. The monthly Spy Network build is based on distance and a bunch of modifiers. For provinces fairly close to my capital it's about 1.3-1.5 per month so it's faster to fabricate claims than before (base one year previously).

On the other hand it slows down you doing other things with Spy Networks, and I'm not sure how fast the distance modifier drops off. It might take a really long rear end time to fabricate claims far from your capital, I dunno.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tsyni posted:

What were your goals for the game? It's only 1600..you have so much time.

That is what the game looks like rolled back to 1.15. The top bar is corrupted and the water looks like rear end. I was going to attempt a WC but it's become impossible since Russia, Commonwealth and Ottomans are a triple Alliance. France isn't even around to provide a counterweight. I'm not even sure I could win a zerg war if I took control of all of India and Persia. Those three are just way too strong.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hi paradox guys thanks for releasing the new EU4 DLC so I have something to tide me over until Stellaris.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Today, from the official forums:

BarrosRodrigues, https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-you-guys-lend-me-some-money-to-buy-down-corruption.918054/ posted:

I have 0 Religious Unity, 94% overextension, and wildly unbalanced research. I just don't understand why I can't deal with corruption.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

good I think?

You can just buy a claim with 10 Spy Network strength. The monthly Spy Network build is based on distance and a bunch of modifiers. For provinces fairly close to my capital it's about 1.3-1.5 per month so it's faster to fabricate claims than before (base one year previously).

On the other hand it slows down you doing other things with Spy Networks, and I'm not sure how fast the distance modifier drops off. It might take a really long rear end time to fabricate claims far from your capital, I dunno.

Yeah, my impression so far is that I like it better than the previous system.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
"Oh, the game is telling me exactly why I'm being hit with corruption, but I don't know how to deal with it! PARADOX YOUR PATCH SUCKS PRE-ORDER CANCELLED HOW DARE YOU TAKE SJRB CLAY BYZANTIUM FOREVER!"

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Sky Shadowing posted:

"Oh, the game is telling me exactly why I'm being hit with corruption, but I don't know how to deal with it! PARADOX YOUR PATCH SUCKS PRE-ORDER CANCELLED HOW DARE YOU TAKE SJRB CLAY BYZANTIUM FOREVER!"

Yeah I'm actually a little heartened by those screenshots because they suggest that it's very difficult to make corruption into such a huge issue that it constantly tanks your poo poo. Even in the situation the dude is in, overextension will fall and religious unity will increase in fairly short order, so it seems like the pro-non western strat of running wildly unbalanced tech is actually still fairly viable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There's seemingly a large contingent of EU4 players whose preferred playstyle is to go balls-to-the-wall crazy conquest mode, who bitch and moan with every expansion because of some feature that makes it harder to blob.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

YouTuber posted:

That is what the game looks like rolled back to 1.15. The top bar is corrupted and the water looks like rear end. I was going to attempt a WC but it's become impossible since Russia, Commonwealth and Ottomans are a triple Alliance. France isn't even around to provide a counterweight. I'm not even sure I could win a zerg war if I took control of all of India and Persia. Those three are just way too strong.

Is it still playable? I have a couple good MP games that I want to finish; I'd hate to think that we can't keep playing them just by rolling back a patch :smith:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Man corruption gets expensive. As the ottos trying for sultan of rum, I took a bunch of a largish Crimea (~80% oe) to snake to Russia and to stem my corruption gain it takes 30 ducats alone till I core. Course then Russia Dows me immediately after I moved most my army back west to deal with rebs so it's difficult to core :/

I also really wish when your spy got kicked out there it would auto restart the spy network once the lockout timer is up. I wasted so much time with Crimea kicking him out over and over while I was distracted in the west it was really hard to generate any claims

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 6, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I haven't played since common sense so imagine my surprise playing as a barbar pirate when castille and portugal can just match their army down my throat.

Hey fellas, aren't you at war with France? Why are you down here.......

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
My initial impressions of Corruption are that it's kind of like Inflation. Generally a complete non-issue, but in some edge cases it can become a problem. But it's very predictable so if you run into Corruption problems it's sort of your own fault.

Note that I haven't seen what a bunch of minors with Espionage can do to Corruption yet.

I still maintain it's a dumb and unnecessary mechanic.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I started an Ethiopian game before work since the previous stuff wasn't going to work with a new patch. I didn't get far into the game but im not sure if I want to stick with them. Is Ethiopia a fun game?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Zotix posted:

I started an Ethiopian game before work since the previous stuff wasn't going to work with a new patch. I didn't get far into the game but im not sure if I want to stick with them. Is Ethiopia a fun game?

I've had fun with them trying for prestor john and all of Africa and Arabia

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Also, why/when do you want to vassalize? I tend to just take territories and core/ convert. Why/when do you want to vassalize?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zotix posted:

Yeah, it's a ton of fun. Kind of frustrating until you get a meaningful income, but that's why you choose Exploration first so you can expand out of the tight situation you start in and get control of the Cape node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zotix posted:

Also, why/when do you want to vassalize? I tend to just take territories and core/ convert. Why/when do you want to vassalize?

As much as possible, usually. Diploannexing a vassal costs diplo power and gives you cores on all of its land. Generally, diplo power is less valuable than admin power. So diploannexing means it takes a longer to incorporate the land into your empire, but in the meantime you'll have a vassal who'll contribute more troops to your wars than you'd get out of directly owning their provinces and you can use your admin points on more important things.

• Locked thread