Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

How is babby birb settling in?

Baby birb is settling in nicely. I've named him/her Echo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Kenshin, how big a boat are we talking, here? Not sure if I'd have any useful insights but almost all my bird experience is on boats. I can PM if you're worried about derailing birdthread with boatchat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Kenshin, how big a boat are we talking, here? Not sure if I'd have any useful insights but almost all my bird experience is on boats. I can PM if you're worried about derailing birdthread with boatchat.
Well, for Alexis it isn't the size of the boat, it's that to make her safe living aboard I'd have to clip her and severely curtail her out-of-cage activities. That, and because I'd then be so busy working on the boat, she'd have even less social time than she does now.

For Auri it's much less of an issue in the shorter term (she isn't flighted, and is a perch potato) but the problem is two-fold: any boat I buy will likely need a fair bit of work so I'd have to at the very least find her a temporary home (respiratory issues with laying fiberglass, etc), and then once I leave the country, checking in to other countries with an exotic animal on board ranges from "more complicated" to "animal is seized and 'destroyed'".

(but to answer the question, a 45-52' monohull or 38-44' catamaran)

To be fair if I was just going to live in the Caribbean on a boat I'd probably bring Auri with me. Rick Moore of AmbientRealLife has his Congo African Gray, Lucky, on his ~42' monohull that he sails around the Caribbean. But I'm going to be heading down Central and South America before heading across the South Pacific and then up into SE Asia.

Also, neither of my birds are banded, which presents an additional complication with international matters.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 5, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You know that thing where you spend 3 hours sorting your cages out and provide £80 worth of new toys only to be greeted with confusion, terror and outright anger from 3/4 of them?

Thor (potato). What. The. gently caress.
Drama (male red rump) jesuschristwhatishappeninghere *floofs*
Shy (female red rump) WHERE THE EVERLOVING gently caress IS MY SWING! WHERE IS IT! SWING SWING AAK AAK AAK AAK AAAK AAAK ! *loving FLOOFS*
Blue (budgie) yipeeeeee new toys!! a bell! a big motherfucking bell" Hey Thor did you see this poo poo, I can almost fit inside this bell ding ding ding I'm a bell!! Woah wait wait wait! are those things I can chew? They are you know hey thor banana leaf ball banana leaf ball! AND ITS ALSO GOT A BELL ON IT!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I love budgies' reactions to new things, they give it the stink eye for a few minutes and if they haven't been eaten yet then it's probably cool to chew/throw/mate with.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

https://vine.co/v/iipxbgY7Bdd
Tired of all these videos of a bird and a keyboard. I couldn't find a cheap enough light enough piano I was confident a green cheek conure could mess with so I got a glockenspiel for babies. Pickles is going to be a virtuoso or I'm going to annoy the poo poo out of him with it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Echo keeps her eyes on me at all times. Her and Fuji's cage is right by my desk, and without fail, whenever I'm at the desk, she's always looking at me. I'm not sure if it's because she's afraid of me or what, but she'll even duck her head under toys to keep sight of me.

Birbs.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

bonk

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Can you get them banded now? Also, I'm unsure about international law regarding pets if they remain off shore in your boat. I personally think it'd be super awesome to sail around the world with my favorite birds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

such an elegant dismount!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sekkira posted:

Can you get them banded now? Also, I'm unsure about international law regarding pets if they remain off shore in your boat. I personally think it'd be super awesome to sail around the world with my favorite birds.

Banding only works because they slip the bands over the birds feet when they're babies, so small and rubbery, as proof they were bred in captivity and not taken from the wild when they're older and couldn't fit the band over their foot. If you could add one to an adult there'd be nothing stopping someone from stealing a wild bird and putting a band on them.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It never stops being funny

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

You can almost hear the thud lol

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sekkira posted:

I personally think it'd be super awesome to sail around the world with my favorite birds.
It is certainly a very romantic idea, and many folks have asked if I am planning to do it. Sadly, the practicalities (living on a sailboat that you're also sailing long distance through many different weather conditions is a lot of hard work mentally, emotionally, and physically) and finances of the situation (I am not rich) mean that the downsides far, far, far outweigh the upsides to doing so.

And again, this isn't spur of the moment--I've been planning this and getting training and experience for it for a few years now, so I've had to think through all these possibilities. Sadly I've known for about a year that my time with Auri and Alexis must be limited.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
A photo of Taco just appeared on Stylish Birds for Funky Nerds

Taco is internet famous now

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Kenshin posted:

It is certainly a very romantic idea, and many folks have asked if I am planning to do it. Sadly, the practicalities (living on a sailboat that you're also sailing long distance through many different weather conditions is a lot of hard work mentally, emotionally, and physically) and finances of the situation (I am not rich) mean that the downsides far, far, far outweigh the upsides to doing so.

And again, this isn't spur of the moment--I've been planning this and getting training and experience for it for a few years now, so I've had to think through all these possibilities. Sadly I've known for about a year that my time with Auri and Alexis must be limited.

Get a pet pelican?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

Get a pet pelican?

Then he would be that Pokemon guy in Ruby/Sapphire :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

See this is where not having a brain pays off for the noble cockatiel

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My borbs don't like it, they don't like it at all. Red rumps are floofed and haven't left the one corner of the cage I didn't change, Thor is still sat on the perch in between drink and food floofed and asleep, budgie is sat next to him because that's what he does and keeps nipping at his tail to try and get him to wake up and play. They all do seem to be much more tolerant of me for some odd reason though, maybe because I had my arms in the cages for a long time and they didn't get murdered so I'm seen as less of a threat now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last post was worthless without pictures although..Thor has moved! He has put his nose up against a toy, and a toy that is a replacement for an identical toy he has had before no less. Bravery.

This is where we live now

He sat like that for quite some time.

The wall of I hate you.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

If y'all hadn't already seen/heard there's a neat thing the Russians have called Ostagram and as I understand it it takes two images and stylizes the first with the second. There's a thread for it and similar tech things.

So I went looking to stylize an Audubon print with Van Gogh and with help from goons in the abovelinked thread was rewarded with this:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

He sat like that for quite some time.

FACE GO ON STICK IS YES :derptiel:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I get a kick out of budgies interacting with cockatiels because even though they're way bigger cockatiels always look totally bewildered by them.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's totally it, I haven't ever been able to put my finger on why that pairing is so particularly charming to me :3:

(god, that headfirst dismount from the food dish is never going to stop making me chortle when I see it)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wouldn't say it's dignity but the pair of them always remind me of this:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Here's four minutes of unedited Griddlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQxFbKJ2g0o

She is pretty spooked of my hands! Showering her with sunflower seeds seems to be helping so she's gonna be a fat little baby piggy for a while I guess

I pulled up the bird thread this morning and laughed, thank you

:derptiel: hello finger trap I will be on the ground too

We were super impressed at bird intelligence when it was just Skillet and then we got Boo and realized that cockatiels got held back a year

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I get a kick out of budgies interacting with cockatiels because even though they're way bigger cockatiels always look totally bewildered by them.

Tendai posted:

That's totally it, I haven't ever been able to put my finger on why that pairing is so particularly charming to me :3:

(god, that headfirst dismount from the food dish is never going to stop making me chortle when I see it)

Their personalities are complimentary but their body language and social habits are quite different, which leads to crazy and hilarious misunderstandings. Cockatiels and Budgies are a fish out of water buddy comedy.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 7, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

Here's four minutes of unedited Griddlin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQxFbKJ2g0o
I just can't get over those big dark baby parrot eyes :3: Goddamn. Someone gimme a conure.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes I feel bad for Charlie because he's incredibly intelligent but he has to live with cockatiels.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Look at me I'm a birb
*bites*
*bites harder*
*bites even harder*
*tweets, puffs up disarmingly, makes a cute face*
*bites*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
*shits*

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Look at me I'm a birb
*bites*
*bites harder*
*bites even harder*
*tweets, puffs up disarmingly, makes a cute face*
*bites*

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
*shrieks for 3 hours*

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I gave my Senegal some fresh carrot yesterday and when I went to empty the bowl noticed he'd dropped some of his regular complete food in there - but only the orange bits. Didn't realise he already understood colour matching.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

*shrieks for 3 hours*

*spins endlessly for cheese*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I assume that anything a birb says or does is accompanied by an endless stream of poop

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

GoldStandardConure posted:

*spins endlessly*

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

endless stream of poop

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Noxville posted:

I gave my Senegal some fresh carrot yesterday and when I went to empty the bowl noticed he'd dropped some of his regular complete food in there - but only the orange bits. Didn't realise he already understood colour matching.

Clever bird, if he can match colour then you could get him one of those baby toys where they have to drop different coloured shapes though different colour holes.

I read this thread and wonder what it must be like to have birds who like me, they seem very content and happy with not liking me and being a flock but still.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

:shobon:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean on that last one, you should clearly get better friends :colbert: Those fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can't get over that they used PECS system symbols* for that, I wonder if they thought they were smilies. I am not sure how I feel about this. points to the "I am confused" symbol

*we use them for communication with people with special needs and learning difficulties.