Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

christ i forgot about the clown nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

christ i forgot about the clown nation

Shame on you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

clowns.dm is a national treasure

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mu. posted:

give me a link m8

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568182&pagenumber=210&perpage=40#post438956521

It didn't occur to me to link it earlier because I was seething with fury over the disrespect to my mod.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

Mu. posted:

Please test things and see what is broken, etc.

Are the MA and LA nations supposed to be able to be chosen in EA?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

psudonym55 posted:

Are the MA and LA nations supposed to be able to be chosen in EA?

Yes.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I fixed the broken weapons in Sawaikii and added both it and Wu-Tang to Awful Nations. We can now also delete awful_items.dm because Enjoy got his poo poo together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyaup6zck35msg/awful_nations.rar?dl=1

Everything SEEMS to be working normally for me so at this point you could probably try hosting multiplayer games using it.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 6, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This reminds me, I've almost finished the second of my three-weird-nations mod "Gemmod".

But just before I was finished I ran into trouble when testing the second nation, MA Akkad: The game crashes and tells me "You must end modding the event before using a #new... or #select command (#newsite "Dead Gate")".

I went through my mod multiple times with the search-function, but as far as I can tell every event ends with #end, like it is supposed to. There are other sites I made like the one causing problems now and they work fine.

This problem may be caused because I wanted to create a site with a spell: I made a global event caused by the site and another event caused by that one. There's also the site of course and a spell meant to create the site when cast.

I used this list of effects to find something allowing me to create a spell to add my site to the province the spell is cast in. According to the list, the numbers 82 and 84 are for province enchantments and I've tried this with both, essentially copying one of my monster summon spells, but instead of summoning a monster using the monster summoning effect, I'm trying to create an enchantment.

How far am I off the mark? Is there a very easy method of adding a self-made magic site with a spell to avoid this mess?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mu. posted:

I fixed the broken weapons in Sawaikii and added both it and Wu-Tang to Awful Nations. We can now also delete awful_items.dm because Enjoy got his poo poo together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scyaup6zck35msg/awful_nations.rar?dl=1

Everything SEEMS to be working normally for me so at this point you could probably try hosting multiplayer games using it.

Thanks for the "With deepest respect" message in the spreadsheet - not only did it properly restore my modsculinity, it also made me laugh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh, this seems odd. I guess he just... wasn't... using that arm? That was maybe attached to his leg?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

there are so fuckin' many of these i didn't know about, goddamn

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Uh, this seems odd. I guess he just... wasn't... using that arm? That was maybe attached to his leg?
Makes as much sense as anything. Dominions. :downs:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
legs are just arms u walk on... makes u think...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, I've almost finished the second of my three-weird-nations mod "Gemmod".

But just before I was finished I ran into trouble when testing the second nation, MA Akkad: The game crashes and tells me "You must end modding the event before using a #new... or #select command (#newsite "Dead Gate")".
I know exactly what your problem is, and that problem is called loving terrible internal Dominions mod language-itis. I've run into it a few times.

To add a new site to a province with an event you can't use #newsite (because that theoretically does two things, the second of which doesn't work), you have to use #hiddensite (usually use the name in brackets in the #msg portion and then -1 as the #hiddensite argument) and then #revealsite later in the same event.

e: I have no idea what happens if there is another unrevealed site in the province but you do this, not sure if the last-created or first-created gets revealed.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 7, 2016

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Libluini posted:

I went through my mod multiple times with the search-function, but as far as I can tell every event ends with #end, like it is supposed to. There are other sites I made like the one causing problems now and they work fine.

This problem may be caused because I wanted to create a site with a spell: I made a global event caused by the site and another event caused by that one. There's also the site of course and a spell meant to create the site when cast.

I used this list of effects to find something allowing me to create a spell to add my site to the province the spell is cast in. According to the list, the numbers 82 and 84 are for province enchantments and I've tried this with both, essentially copying one of my monster summon spells, but instead of summoning a monster using the monster summoning effect, I'm trying to create an enchantment.

How far am I off the mark? Is there a very easy method of adding a self-made magic site with a spell to avoid this mess?

This doesn't address that error, but there's also a slight problem with adding sites from spells. Causing an event by casting a spell doesn't check the event prerequisites but just causes it. So your choices are either to spawn the site and potentially hit the province site cap or create an event chain which checks if there can be more sites. The chain will overwrite any existing event chain though. I solved this by summoning a unit who lives for two turns and whose presence causes an event which checks for site cap and creates the site. It's really clunky though and I hope someone knows a better way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

I know exactly what your problem is, and that problem is called loving terrible internal Dominions mod language-itis. I've run into it a few times.

To add a new site to a province with an event you can't use #newsite (because that theoretically does two things, the second of which doesn't work), you have to use #hiddensite (usually use the name in brackets in the #msg portion and then -1 as the #hiddensite argument) and then #revealsite later in the same event.

The funny thing is, just after posting I went back into my code, saw #newsite in my #newevent and thought: "This couldn't possible be the cause, right?"

And of course it was, that portion is now rewritten with #hiddensite and #revealsite. At least the game has stopped crashing now, but this way I found out there are errors in half the spells I wrote, so I still have a lot of work to do. :suicide:

Another thing I learned: Adding in freespawn doesn't work since I can't control what kind of unit is respawned without replacing all those stupid fake Roman undeads. But I already found another way of creating mayhem, so it's not that bad. (Making commanders who automatically spawn units work like a charm and this way a player isn't constantly flooded with unwanted units everywhere as long as he doesn't put those commanders there.)

Culka posted:

This doesn't address that error, but there's also a slight problem with adding sites from spells. Causing an event by casting a spell doesn't check the event prerequisites but just causes it. So your choices are either to spawn the site and potentially hit the province site cap or create an event chain which checks if there can be more sites. The chain will overwrite any existing event chain though. I solved this by summoning a unit who lives for two turns and whose presence causes an event which checks for site cap and creates the site. It's really clunky though and I hope someone knows a better way.

This is actually a really neat idea, I'll try this workaround. (Because my method apparently didn't work and my second try of trying to tie the site to a global didn't work either, the spell fired and the global went up, but the events just ignored this. That last thing was surprisingly frustrating, since I followed the template Illwinter gives in the Event Modding Manual.)

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

You can have a spell which creates an enchantment over a province, and have a site-creating event which requires that enchantment in order to fire. Then you can also have the event require free site slots, etc. and have a separate event message for when there are no free site slots, or the site already exists, or etc.

Szumogliika (whoa.dm) has a spell called Invert the Future which uses an enchantment-triggered event if you wanted to see how it works.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Also I'm not at home so I can't check but I'm pretty sure the reason you can't use #newsite in events is because that's not actually an event command (the manual is wrong), that's the command which defines a new site, which is why Dominions expects an #end.

I had to guess what the actual "new site" event command is last time, it's probably #addsite or something.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Another thing I learned: Adding in freespawn doesn't work since I can't control what kind of unit is respawned without replacing all those stupid fake Roman undeads.
You can, you just have to use (potentially a massive amount of) anonymous events.

This is also beneficial in that it doesn't overwrite Scelaria's summoning, which would hypothetically give them Akkad's units.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mu. posted:

Also I'm not at home so I can't check but I'm pretty sure the reason you can't use #newsite in events is because that's not actually an event command, that's the command which defines a new site, which is why Dominions expects an #end. I had to guess what the actual event command is last time, it's probably #addsite or something.
It's listed in the manual as #newsite and is even in an Illwinter example event at the end with that syntax. I wish they checked these things but there we go.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mu. posted:

You can have a spell which creates an enchantment over a province, and have a site-creating event which requires that enchantment in order to fire. Then you can also have the event require free site slots, etc. and have a separate event message for when there are no free site slots, or the site already exists, or etc.

Szumogliika (whoa.dm) has a spell called Invert the Future which uses an enchantment-triggered event if you wanted to see how it works.

Woah, thanks I'll check this spell out to compare the syntax to my own. It'll be interesting to learn where I went wrong.

jBrereton posted:

You can, you just have to use (potentially a massive amount of) anonymous events.

This is also beneficial in that it doesn't overwrite Scelaria's summoning, which would hypothetically give them Akkad's units.

Yeah, that's another method I'm using. I just don't want to overwhelm the player, I remember playing Lemuria and Ermor and after a while it was just plain unfun to juggle all those annoying undead crawling out of the ground. As a first test for MA Akkad, I wrote a small event sending a small army of special Akkadian undead to randomly attack everywhere. It's tied to the event chain I'm trying to finish, though. This means I can only test it after the spell and the site work as intended.

Anyway, if everything works out, MA Akkad will have a very interesting spell to gently caress over the entire world and give themselves high death income and super-undead at the same time. Also the main one-time event firing after the spell is cast will kill 75% of the population in that province. To be nice I allowed the spell to be cast on any owned province instead of just the cap. :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Uhh if you have a spell that seriously endangers the entire world it should probably really really gently caress over the nation that casts it.

Otherwise it's just going to get cast from Some Arsehole Swamp with like 500 people in it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Uhh if you have a spell that seriously endangers the entire world it should probably really really gently caress over the nation that casts it.

Otherwise it's just going to get cast from Some Arsehole Swamp with like 500 people in it.

Don't worry, I got this.

There are more events planned sending super-undead around loving things up. And the worst attack events are planned for MA Akkad, since Akkad is closest to the source.

The site causing all of this can't even be defended, since there will be random events of magic outbursts exploding into the province, striking all units.

I'm also thinking about upping the damage caused by triggering the main event, to make sure the player loses the mage if it isn't some kind of beefy monster prepared to deal with a world-ending event.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
So are people actually going to be playing with the goon mod collection in multiplayer? Because uhm... whoever is playing Wu Tang should probably take luck and, then, regardless of what else they plan on using. The four heroes may be a tiny bit overpowered, and are probably worth the cost of luck 1-3. And maybe consider production, because my very intoxicated play-testing always ended with me just building enough Killa Beez to flood the world, and that worked out very well.

Edit: Actually, looking through that list again, I'm not sure Wu Tang is that powerful. We make some silly mods in this forum, don't we?

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 7, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does the modpack include omniscient cybertaurs?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Does the modpack include omniscient cybertaurs?

Cybertaur nation is sadly not in.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks for fixing my mod

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I've been ramping up the dificulity of the AI now that I can win reliably but do they just never get out of the early game? As soon as I can cast level 3-4 spells in 3 or so schools giant balls of 300 units are just a joke.

Also it seems like nothing beats a N9E4 bless, what nations work with oddball bless strategies?

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 8, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

I've been ramping up the dificulity of the AI now that I can win reliably but do they just never get out of the early game? As soon as I can cast level 3-4 spells in 3 or so schools giant balls of 300 units are just a joke.

Also it seems like nothing beats a N9E4 bless, what nations work with oddball bless strategies?

Since I'm a bad player, I have fought AI-nations long enough to see them use globals and battlemagic. And if they get large enough, they will raid your weaker provinces purely on accident, since the AI has this annoying habit of raising small armies everywhere. If you're at war, the AI will just fling all those small armies at you with wild abandon, leading to an absolute clusterfuck.

But since the AI is so bad at using mages, you can generally win a war of attrition simply because your armies will wipe the floor with theirs constantly.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Washout posted:

Most bless nations. N9E4 is more of a giant bless and simply reduces attrition. A real bless (w9 or b9 or f9) on good sacreds will often own the gently caress out of n9. AI is too dumb to kill N9E4 poo poo because it just throws trash at you and that bless is good for mulching garbage with few losses.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Washout posted:

The AI in this game is abysmal. Once you have learned the basics, play against goons.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Play against Baudin until you are good enough to play against the AI.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

Play against Baudin until you are good enough to play against the AI.

:eyepop:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Here's One Weird Trick to be Edutained (but mainly Educated) by a Somehat Silky-Voiced MLG Pro Dominions Gamer... The IRC Establishment Hates It! (actually they might be ok with it)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This is the best whispering video I've ever seen. It's also the only whispering video I've ever had to listen to.

Please consider making your voice (and the sound in general) a bit louder. Strike that, make it a lot louder because I can't hear poo poo until I dial up my loudspeakers like mad.

Good god man, how did you even get the sound so low without noticing something wrong?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Because I talk quietly and have good hearing, so it's normal for me. Will try to ~project myself~ more going forwards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Because I talk quietly and have good hearing, so it's normal for me. Will try to ~project myself~ more going forwards.

Sorry you have to learn it this way, but not everyone listens to YouTube-videos by shutting down all ambient noise and eagerly leaning their ears onto their speakers

It's a shame really, because if the sound level of your video would be just a little bit higher, it would be really good.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Just tag your videos with the ASMR tag and rake in those fat youtube views.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Harrower posted:

Just tag your videos with the ASMR tag and rake in those fat youtube views.
Fine until contact with Pan is made and we trade massive maenad casualties for female archers dying to earthquake and it all goes a bit Law & Order: SVU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Some times the best you can do is bait and switch creepy internet weirdos with disturbingly loud you tube videos.

• Locked thread