Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

YeahTubaMike posted:

I absolutely loving refuse.

I met some Swiss people who brought up Ursula Andress when I introduced myself, and I nearly wept with joy.

I absolutely get this. My name's Fiona, so I get people talking about the princess from Shrek. One person brought up Fiona Apple and it was such a god drat relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Silver Falcon posted:

I feel you there. I grew up in a place that was 100+ degrees all dang summer long, but at least it was "dry heat." Then I moved to the northeast, where it doesn't get as hot, but the humidity. Ugh. But on the plus side it's not muggy and nasty every day in the summer, but on the days it is I just want to loving die. The heat makes me physically ill and it's terrible. gently caress summer.

Complaining about the weather is my favourite thing on the planet. My least favourite thing on the planet is weather. WEIRD.

Humidity sucks, and I also hate rain. I grew up in the plains, and I am used to an entire summer going by with zero rain, and I miss it desperately.

I'm also going to go into namechat, too. My name is Emily but I always get back coffees at Starbucks with Amélie written on the side. :confused: I guess I am saying my own name wrong.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

pussy riot police posted:

I absolutely get this. My name's Fiona, so I get people talking about the princess from Shrek. One person brought up Fiona Apple and it was such a god drat relief.

My friend named her kid Elsa about two years before all the Frozen stuff happened. Poor kid is going to be hearing Let It Go for the rest of her life. That said, I have a handful of friends named Ariel or Jasmine who don't seem to get it too bad, so maybe as the years pass it won't be so bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The most famous fictional character with my name is a vigilante cab driver who is probably on the autism spectrum. I'm also named in part after a baseball player, and I hate baseball.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got "Oops I did it again" for every single year of my school life.

And people wonder why I don't go by my given name anymore.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My name is Aleta. It's a nice enough name, and I like it, but it turns into a thing often enough that I sometimes wish my name was Jane irl. People either mispronounce it, or hear it as either Elena or Lolita, or ask me to spell it, or ask me where it's from, etc etc. I tried to get people to call me Ali as a kid, but it never took.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The next time I have to tell someone my name has two F's is the time I WILL TEAR THEIR EYES FROM THEIR SKULL AND CARVE THE LETTER F IN THE SOFT TISSUE WITHIN

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have an average first name but my last name is foreign. It's fairly simple but people still have issues with it.

When I got married I traded a name no one would spell right for one no one can pronounce. I'm not sure which one is more annoying.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Name Chat huh?

I'm Mike - the most common name for a man in America?

Somehow, I get Link on the time on my coffee or take out orders.

"Not sure. Better go with the safe guess: Link"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My handwriting is bad enough that, now that I've had to write my name in a few places, I'm getting people calling me Michael instead of Mitchell. Rarely ever happened before now.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Both my first and last names have multiple valid spellings, the most famous of which don't match up with my case. :shepface:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I absolutely loving refuse.

I met some Swiss people who brought up Ursula Andress when I introduced myself, and I nearly wept with joy.
My first thought was Ursula K. Le Guin.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My friend named her kid Elsa about two years before all the Frozen stuff happened. Poor kid is going to be hearing Let It Go for the rest of her life. That said, I have a handful of friends named Ariel or Jasmine who don't seem to get it too bad, so maybe as the years pass it won't be so bad.
I once met a guy named Adric. Pretty much the first thing he said after introducing himself was "Yes, my parents were really into Doctor Who."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh boy, namechat! I use my actual first name now so this isn't an issue but as a kid my parents called me by the short for my middle name, so well into high school there was a sweat-inducing chance that someone I was meeting for the first time would start talking about propane. My name might as well have been "that boy ain't right".

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Captain Lavender posted:

Name Chat huh?

I'm Mike - the most common name for a man in America?

Somehow, I get Link on the time on my coffee or take out orders.

"Not sure. Better go with the safe guess: Link"

Do you look like a caveman?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

FetusSlapper posted:

Do you look like a caveman?

Yeah, but I don't think they're all that clever.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hi, I'm Ruby.

I am aware there are a lot of songs with the name Ruby in them oh gee no I haven't heard that one in a while wow thanks

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm a Shannon and I get Sharon a lot, who the gently caress is called Sharon and is under the age of 56, my name is a much more popular name!!!

Yesterday a boiler man came to the house, called me Sharon, explained fixing the boiler pressure like I was 8 (just show me what tap to turn mate), wouldn't let me move my own washing machine, and then told me to make sure I remember how to do it so I could tell my boyfriend (who's name he got correct) how to fix it next time. Lots of pet peeves all rolled into a delightful 5 minutes!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm a Shannon and I get Sharon a lot, who the gently caress is called Sharon and is under the age of 56, my name is a much more popular name!!!

Yesterday a boiler man came to the house, called me Sharon, explained fixing the boiler pressure like I was 8 (just show me what tap to turn mate), wouldn't let me move my own washing machine, and then told me to make sure I remember how to do it so I could tell my boyfriend (who's name he got correct) how to fix it next time. Lots of pet peeves all rolled into a delightful 5 minutes!

Probably just saw your av text

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

:argh:

Dark nightsky
Apr 4, 2016
People who chew with their mouths open.... I can´t hear myself think because of the cow rolling around in your mouth!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh since we're doing name chat, my name's "Aaron," which I thought was a reasonably simple name to spell. I've gotten so many people spelling it "Aron" like the Pokemon or "Erin" even though that's mostly a girl's name. A month or two ago, the cashier at Panera spelled it "Harin" because??? That's not even the worst one because a few weeks later, I went back to the same Panera and now my name is "Earn." :confused:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mine's Brennan, and there are days when I think it would be easier to just change it to Brandon because that's what everyone hears.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh since we're doing name chat, my name's "Aaron," which I thought was a reasonably simple name to spell. I've gotten so many people spelling it "Aron" like the Pokemon or "Erin" even though that's mostly a girl's name. A month or two ago, the cashier at Panera spelled it "Harin" because??? That's not even the worst one because a few weeks later, I went back to the same Panera and now my name is "Earn." :confused:

Went to Panera with my friend Ian. When they called his name they pronounced it so that it rhymed with "lion."

Maybe her only experience with the name was sports announcer Ian Eagle?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Between this and the stupidest poo poo you've heard thread, I think the lesson to be learned here is to never go to Panera.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
A good friend of mine is named Carolyn, and just about everyone wants to call her Caroline. She laughs it off most of the time, but I can tell it gets old. Years ago I randomly ran into a musician she liked in a bar, and since she wasn't with me, I got him to sign a cocktail napkin for her. He was nice enough, and did it happily, but when he handed it to me... he had written "To Caroline". I wasn't going to make a nuisance of myself and ask him to rewrite it, but it definitely made the whole thing less cool.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My first name has a looooot of variations. And a lot of variations in spelling. I've been called every variation of my name under the sun, and every spelling.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Re namechat, my name is Laura and no one ever got it wrong except for skydivers. I guess we're all deaf from the plane noise or something because one of my instructors called me Lauren for weeks before someone corrected him, and I constantly get "Flora, what a pretty name" when I introduced myself.

Smoking will always be a peeve of mine, but specifically, my roommate. When I moved in she had gone completely from smoking to e-cigarettes and only once or twice a day. Now she's back to a several-a-day habit, but she only smokes outside. Which is fine, but we have a really cute patio area that would be nice to hang around in occasionally but it reeks. She's out there the minute she gets home and throughout the evening. I just pretend we don't have that area as part of our living space, but it bums me out that I can't really spend any time there because the smell is so bad. She's otherwise fastidiously neat, and the patio is well taken care of, but the smell really bugs me. If I'd known she was going to start smoking again I'd have never moved in.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I was born two years before The Little Mermaid came out too. Sad high-five to your friends poor doomed daughter.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm named after my father, who was named after a Broadway star from the 40's and 50's. When I was a kid, I'd run into people all the time who'd say things like "Oh, like the actor? He's such a handsome man!" when I met them, and it always drove me nuts. "No, that's my name; I'm not him," I'd think.

As the years went by, fewer and fewer people recognized the name, until the few times a year I got the "I loved him in that one play" treatment were from people living in the nursing home I volunteered at.

These days, I don't get those comments at all.

:smith:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the initials of my name make a famous celeb's stage name and everyone calls me by it. which is fine by me because it's a pretty baller nickname tbh :)

E:

Amoeba102 posted:

Screenshots from Tumblr. Always too many comments included. Always kills whatever little humour the post had or juet 'i f9und this funny' type posts.

probably my biggest social media pet peeve. reminds me of Adam McKay's style of comedy (saturday night live alum, frequent collaborator of Will Ferrell, known for Anchorman, Step Brothers, Ant-Man, as well as Tammy, Get Hard, and Daddy's Home) which basically means

[mildly funny or lolsorandumb thing happens]

character: well, THAT just happened! [eyeroll]

kalel has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Apr 5, 2016

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

A good friend of mine is named Carolyn, and just about everyone wants to call her Caroline. She laughs it off most of the time, but I can tell it gets old. Years ago I randomly ran into a musician she liked in a bar, and since she wasn't with me, I got him to sign a cocktail napkin for her. He was nice enough, and did it happily, but when he handed it to me... he had written "To Caroline". I wasn't going to make a nuisance of myself and ask him to rewrite it, but it definitely made the whole thing less cool.

That is my name and my life.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

My name is so snowflakey that I don't even bother to say it when the cashier or bank clerk or whatever asks for it. I just go straight to how it's spelled because they will inevitably ask how it's spelled anyway.

Also both my parents pronounce my name differently.

Same thing goes for my middle name, which is not only spelled incorrectly but is Russian and male, neither of which I am.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Not name chat, but people who refuse to use Google. People who refuse to do even a little tiny research themselves.

There's a girl in a Facebook fish group I am part of who will ask the same question every hour. And then she will post repeated PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME until someone, usually a few hours later, replies. She also seems to do a maniac mode where she will post something for sale every. loving. day. And constantly stress how much she needs to sell it. Usually it's priced way too high. That and she's, again, posting many times a day asking for free fish.

I finally told her today maybe if she didn't post the same poo poo every few hours people would notice. The reply was the usual snappy "you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all! I'll post as much as I want!"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not name chat, but people who refuse to use Google. People who refuse to do even a little tiny research themselves.

My mother is a librarian and she's been asked, on more than one occasion, to find a book (reasonable) and then summarize the book rather than lend it to the person. As in, "please read this book to me". I never got that when I was a clerk, but I did get a whole lot of, ":3: It's my third year and this is my first time in the library!" :confused: That's not a good thing?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Name chat? B-rad hahahaha like that one movie hahaha

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My first name is really uncommon and i've never met anyone else with it, although I do know its a real name because people have had it in TV shows and stuff like that. I came here to talk about my last name, Hancock. Its really bad, when I was a kid it was mostly penis jokes, now I get alot of either "Footpenis" or that superhero movie with Will Smith. Old people will sometimes pop out and ask if i'm related to John Hancock though. I don't know if I am but I doubt it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

If anyone calls me while I'm listening to a podcast on my phone I usually wait an hour and a half before calling them back. It's probably hurting me more than anything but still, gently caress 'em, I was listening to that.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Oooh I know a REAL good pet peeve of mine. People who treat the mentally disabled like poo poo. That almost goes beyond pet peeve territory into "literal PTSD trigger" territory for me. Unfortunately I have really bad ADHD to the point where I can't even hold a basic job for more than a month or two. My mother treated me like I was subhuman, and was a Grade-A narcissist and manipulator to boot, to the point where she (quite literally) made up poo poo about me to the rest of my family just to make them hate me when I stopped obeying her every command. I don't talk to her anymore. I don't want to go into the family drama part of this too deep, so here's the thing. Being mentally disabled is a nightmare and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even my mother. I hate her with such a burning passion, I would probably physically attack her if she tried to touch me. I would laugh if she died because she's a sick gently caress who (again, quite literally) contributes absolutely no good to the world while making other people suffer. I know that sounds awful, but if this woman were ever a politician she would be somewhere between Reagan and Hitler levels of scary. She doesn't even have a job, while her husband works 60+ hour work weeks so she can have tea parties with her friends and buy a new house with an expensive vacation every year.

I digress. I'm lucky enough that I know how to socialize just fine, so I have a few close friends I can turn to for help. A lot of people with mental disabilities cannot. People with Tourette's? You can, but you have tics that weird people out and make them uncomfortable. OCD? You're not fun to be around. Autism? Forget it. Downs' Syndrome? Double forget it. I have to take pills so I can sit down and take care of a task for a couple hours. I get extreme anxiety in situations where I have to do nothing. Without my meds, it's like being a parent getting no sleep for weeks on end. But instead of praising you for being responsible, people poo poo on every effort you ever make, so you learn to just give up. Doesn't matter how much sleep you get when your mind just does a system reboot every two minutes and overheats if it handles more than one thing at a time. Fortunately I've gone a long to way to unlearn a lot of those bad habits, to the point where I can work on hobbies (with meds) for about 5-6 hours a day and keep my room and person clean. Not attractive I imagine, but I don't have piles of dishes and trash anymore and a face with ungodly amounts of acne.

Even the meds don't fix my issues though. It changes them from "I can't do anything competently" to "I can focus like a goddamn laser on one thing but so help me god if something interrupts the beam I stall hard". I have to work in almost-silence, in my room, completely alone. That's better than "I can focus for 30 seconds every 3 minutes and get worn out after 30 minutes" off of them. If I fail to take my antidepressants (doubles as an antipsychotic), I become a wreck. Almost delusional, it's like being sort of drunk or being in a dream 24/7, including the balance issues. I wasn't treated for ADHD specifically until about 6-7 months ago, but if I had this at my disposal and my mom didn't deny it from me to make sure that her "friends" didn't see her as "the mom of the retarded guy", I wouldn't have loving flunked out of college.

tl;dr gently caress having mental disabilities, and double-gently caress people who hate on us for something we wish we didn't have

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.
The high-pitched sound produced by vacuum cleaners. It is just the right pitch to trigger the beginning of a migraine. Ughhh I hate that sound. It drives me into an absurd, irrational rage every time I hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

People know I love animals, so a lot of people forward me articles or pictures of animal abuse cases, thinking I'll be... I don't know, passionate about it? It just makes me feel helpless and sad.