Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It wasn't very good, it was too long, and focused on stuff people don't care about to the detriment of the stuff that people did

The act 6 story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yeah I know what you're talking about but it would be perfectly believable and fine if PM, as the good guy, had just finally gotten the upperhand in her fight and beat Dog Jack on her own. The Jade distraction really just feels like an excuse to have something for Jade to do. She feels like a complete afterthought in this.

Jade's role in that fight was to show exactly how determined PM was to ruin Jack, and it was via getting punched in the face.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think it mostly feels lovely because of the massive wait time to get to this point and it still feels rushed, like everythings happening too fast, and like half the art isn't even his because he's been wasting his time on the kickstarter game.

Still happy to be getting an ending though and I enjoyed the flash, but it's no Cascade.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

yeah I know what you're talking about but it would be perfectly believable and fine if PM, as the good guy, had just finally gotten the upperhand in her fight and beat Dog Jack on her own. The Jade distraction really just feels like an excuse to have something for Jade to do. She feels like a complete afterthought in this.

Jade is a Witch, Witch's in stories do a few big things and that's about it. For all the classes activeness it's about those few defining moments.
I did expect more from her, but Jade's big moment was Cascade.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Controversial opinion: I liked it and I am excited to see the rest of the story in the coming week

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Vriska outlined her entire plan ages ago, and it more or less worked perfectly.

I sat through the entire flash waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it never did.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jade came close to peacefully uniting two of the most powerful beings around. She failed, but that doesn't mean that the attempt was a distraction or an afterthought. She's *gasp* doing something involving characterization rather than flashy powers and punching!

PM beat Bec Noir because she hated him so much, she was able to override her instincts to punch Jade, and then fight with such ferocity that she made Spades Slick quail. That's, once again, a good character moment!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jake did the Strong Female Character pose:

also we know dirk survives in some form on account of caliborn's masterpiece (the claymation not the events depicted within)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

It wasn't very good, it was too long, and focused on stuff people don't care about to the detriment of the stuff that people did

The act 6 story

Why Is This Not Focusing on the Things that I Care About: The Toxxupation Story, an Agony in Seven Million Identical Unpleasant Posts

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CuddlyZombie posted:

I read the whole thing

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Good update. Will watch again. Some of you nerds need to chill the gently caress out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly what this flash reinforced in me was guilt over not complimenting remem8er enough in this thread because holy poo poo is that a great flash

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

I sat through the entire flash waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it never did.

I forgot what her plan was but I want someone else to tell me because you seem like a baby.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Jade is a Witch, Witch's in stories do a few big things and that's about it. For all the classes activeness it's about those few defining moments.
I did expect more from her, but Jade's big moment was Cascade.

gently caress that, read a book. There's no real Grand Unifying Witch Theory on what a Witch is or do in fiction. Sometimes they're villains sometimes they're advisors/helpers and sometimes they're just the actual protagonists.

This isn't an explanation, it's an excuse for a character being poorly written/handled and it's a really bad one at that.

Granny Weatherwax wouldn't put up with this nonsense.

TKImpulse posted:

Jade's role in that fight was to show exactly how determined PM was to ruin Jack, and it was via getting punched in the face.

The chasing him from universe to universe for 3 years non-stop kind of already shows us that determination.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Enourmo posted:

jake did the Strong Female Character pose:

also we know dirk survives in some form on account of caliborn's masterpiece (the claymation not the events depicted within)

Jake's character can pretty much be summed up as 'Female Action Love Interest With A Dick', so this fits

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Alt Calliope hit the Green Sun, then the next thing we saw was Serenity with an enormous space symbol in her abdomen. I took those two as causally connected.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

WAR FOOT posted:

we know there's 40 more pages then act 7
what will be on those pages of the mspaintadventures website remain a mystery

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Toxxupation posted:

I honestly don't care about power levels or awesome fights or if everyone got their badass moment in the sun, because I long stopped giving even the slightest poo poo about any part of the comic that has to do with direct fighting

Eighteen minutes of that is a big ol zero

That look that Dave gave when he realized he was about to behead dirk was more powerful than all the time powers or god tier whatevers, and it was a one second throwaway moment that was immediately undone

You think that moment didn't count for anything just because Dirk isn't going to stay dead? I disagree completely. It was a super brave thing for Dave to do, and it took a lot of guts even if the death won't stick.

WAR FOOT posted:

That's because Vriska loving rules!!! *starts furiously crumping over your tombstone*

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Vriska does indeed rule, give me your crumps

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for one brief, glorious moment, the thread is alive again with the sound of nerd slapfights over a fresh update

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like that this was basically the opposite of Cascade. Instead of "Jack kills everyone" it's "Everyone kills Jack."

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
On a second viewing: I love the use of more fraymotifs that we've been clamoring for all these years. I would have liked clever or silly names for them, but I might not have noticed their subtleties on a second watch. The Problem Sleuth assets on Caliborn's fight did not go unnoticed. Cool moments for both PM and WV, the two characters I'd say I'm most invested in and may or may not have been snuggling knitted effigies of while watching.

The whole thing was quite enjoyable, but unfortunately did nothing to counter the notion that everything we've read for the past five years will prove to have been a complete waste of time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

gently caress that, read a book. There's no real Grand Unifying Witch Theory on what a Witch is or do in fiction. Sometimes they're villains sometimes they're advisors/helpers and sometimes they're just the actual protagonists.

This isn't an explanation, it's an excuse for a character being poorly written/handled and it's a really bad one at that.

Granny Weatherwax wouldn't put up with this nonsense.

I will say that even though I disagree with you about some stuff, yeah gently caress the classpect theory bullshit. It's dumb words Hussie wrote to support the characters, not to fit them into a box.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR FOOT posted:

Jake's character can pretty much be summed up as 'Female Action Love Interest With A Dick', so this fits

ehhhhhh i know you don't mean anything by it but having a dick does not make one a dude

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

I forgot what her plan was but I want someone else to tell me because you seem like a baby.

It was p. much what happened now with some differences which means she did a great job. Well done Vriskers.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

It was p. much what happened now with some differences which means she did a great job. Well done Vriskers.

Good job Vriska.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i can't believe karkat vantas was leeroy jenkins all along

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Blackheart posted:

No plan survives contact with the enemy, there's a reason she had Jasprose, Nannasprite, and Jane running around on emergency duty.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Tollymain posted:

ehhhhhh i know you don't mean anything by it but having a dick does not make one a dude

This is the most pointless thing to say in this conversation

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the thing with Terezi and Dave using their powers in concert is extremely cool from a character perspective because half the story between those two was her weirding him out with her head-gaming creepiness and her interpreting his weirded-out-ness as a knock against her. before the retcon should wouldnt even trust herself to use her powers. but here, now, they function in unison to produce unstoppable techniques

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CuddlyZombie posted:

I read the whole thing

Well, thank you!

And oh God I can't believe I forgot Gamzee just bouncin' around inside the fridge! I honestly wonder if he'll stay there the whole time. Epilogue and all. I guess he has to be there for Caliborn's Masterpiece, although I don't know where that falls on Gamzee's personal timeline.

I don't know if we have room for another big flash fight, so I don't know how the Masterpiece fight'll be handled now. I think it's inevitable at this point that the final flash on 4/13 will be another big battle to resolve Caliborn and Lord English, which might mean there won't be any updates left for an epilogue, which would be a little sad. If we don't get a walkaround or much more in the way of conversation I'll be a little disappointed.

Oh, also, Lord English erasing ghosts was as grisly as expected. Hopefully he hasn't slaughtered everyone yet!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ariong posted:

You think that moment didn't count for anything just because Dirk isn't going to stay dead? I disagree completely. It was a super brave thing for Dave to do, and it took a lot of guts even if the death won't stick.

Dave is terrified of blood. Dave is terrified of clashing metal, Dave is attached to Dirk. And Dave clove the motherfucker in half in order to win the final battle. That was a character moment.

Karkat said all he wanted to do was be a part of the battle, to do something even if it wasn't the most important thing. Taking out Clover was all he'd asked for.

e: Did Gcatavros show up?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ariong posted:

I actually agree...sort of

The big thing about this comic is undoing or cancelling big, affecting moments afterwards. This isn't a criticism btw, it's just the truth: the dead don't stay dead, big moments are unwritten and rewritten over and over and over again

And that's fine when hussie has done it oh so many times before

But before now hussie at least has let a moment hang and be effective

The flash didn't even afford Dave and by extension the audience that because as soon as he kills dirk, literally, POOF in come future Dave's to almost certainly revive him in some way

It doesn't even let the moments linger before undoing them

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I do agree that the Jade parts were a bit excessive. Because we're familliar with how Bec instincts work the same effect could have been achieved if she simply tried to get between them once before being punched out. Three times was unneccesary.

Oh yeah, also, wow, LOFAF. Wow. Well, at least they won't hav any trouble getting the genesis tadpole out of the core.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, it turns out that if you leave Jake alone for five minutes and let him do his best in peace, he can perform adequately at a task reasonably suited to his general power level. Who knew?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I actually thought Vriska's plan more or less working was a pretty good subversion. Normally when there's as much buildup as there has been, and the audience knows a large amount about the plan, the plan falls to pieces, and none of it works. Vriska's pretty great.

She got to punch Hussie in hi-

Tollymain posted:

-xhir's dick.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

I do agree that the Jade parts were a bit excessive. Because we're familliar with how Bec instincts work the same effect could have been achieved if she simply tried to get between them once before being punched out. Three times was unneccesary.

Oh yeah, also, wow, LOFAF. Wow. Well, at least they won't hav any trouble getting the genesis tadpole out of the core.

Oh thats why that happened.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

team lovely mspaint comics stands bloodied, but unbowed. get rekt, nerds.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tollymain posted:

There was a period from roughly 2011 to 2012 where you could post like this on the forums and not be asked to leave, but Im afraid it has long passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

I actually agree...sort of

The big thing about this comic is undoing or cancelling big, affecting moments afterwards. This isn't a criticism btw, it's just the truth: the dead don't stay dead, big moments are unwritten and rewritten over and over and over again

And that's fine when hussie has done it oh so many times before

But before now hussie at least has let a moment hang and be effective

The flash didn't even afford Dave and by extension the audience that because as soon as he kills dirk, literally, POOF in come future Dave's to almost certainly revive him in some way

It doesn't even let the moments linger before undoing them

Dave also swore using his time powers at all, so poofing in was, actually, the correct character moment