Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Bridget even identifies as female anyway so once again it's not a trans character, just a very girly looking boy.

I only ever played Guilty Gear a handful of times and got stomped by my roomates so I really don't know. Something about Bridget's village killing twins or something so they were separated from their twin and sent off and hidden at a church?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't really remember much about that game's convoluted-rear end plot but I remember the character repeatedly yelling at people that he's a boy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was gonna post a sick rebuttal of a good Shadowrun Genesis track but then I ran into a problem so have some Gauntlet 4 music instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd395iSD80

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

It would be if they didn't dilute it by counting playing windows 10 store games including solitaire and freecell as "xbox engagement." Well, externally anyway. If they're lying to themselves about platform engagement internally, they're loving stupid. This on the other hand

is a brilliant response.

Haha, that's hilariously dumb, i did not know they did that. I assumed it was xbox live use on Xbox Ones.

And ty. Also apologies to fictional character Bridget for assuming he identifies as a girl. I don't play fighting games.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Bridget even identifies as female anyway so once again it's not a trans character, just a very girly looking boy.

I like how Bridget identifies as a guy and wants everyone to treat him as one but it never occurs to him to stop dressing as a nun.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Furnok Dorn posted:

smashed pissers

I'll have to add this one to my euphemism dictionary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cog05 posted:

I like how Bridget identifies as a guy and wants everyone to treat him as one but it never occurs to him to stop dressing as a nun.

Well you need to justify the fights somehow.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is there a "agenda" to stop men from dressing like nuns, in japan?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I mean, would anyone be surprised?

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Tenzarin posted:

There's a big concern among conservatives in Japan that in a few years no men will be crossdressing as miko if sexy nun costumes are not outlawed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unironically want

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cog05 posted:

Maybe he just likes it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, would anyone be surprised?

I heard weird things happen in japan, like eating KFC for christmas dinner is like the go to thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Japan has an obsession with kit kat bars that I'm pretty jealous of. Witness:

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 6, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wonder how Japan feels about our sushi restaurants

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think I'm going to buy a new PS3 when I get paid since I've had a poo poo load of games with no way to play them for over a year now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
katamari forever is nice but i think me and my katamari is better

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3iEn5rzMnw

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Japan has an obsession with kit kat bars that I'm pretty jealous of. Witness:

I tried the Matcha Tea ones, they taste weird but pretty nice. So are the strawberry ones.

Morning games thread, I bought Hyper Light Drifter and Enter the Gungeon because I I have problems with money.

Also I didn't play them because I was too wrecked when I got home yesterday.

What's everybody playing and how are folks feeling?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm at work right now but when I get home I'm probably going to try and finish the true ending route of Nights of Azure and play some co-op Resi 6.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I still haven't touched RE6 cause I want to run through all the RE games with the bf first to bring him up to date on dumb RE stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing 6 without having played 5 for more than an hour and it's pure insanity.

I don't know if playing 5 would actually help any though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RE is crazy enough that you really don't need to play the previous ones to enjoy any entry in the series. I just want him to run through REmake and RE2 with me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This is awesome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was that game ever actually sold for money? Pretty much all the BBSes in my area back in the day had it up for free, and they weren't pirate BBSes or anything.
Boy was that ever a disappointing day when I played that poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So the Penny Arcade RPG chapter 3's mechanics were kind of awful. In trying to make a game where every fight is kind of a challenge instead of having most random encounters be cake, they just kinda made a game where you can't just zone out and mash A while thinking about other stuff without actually making it more engaging. And nobody likes random encounters, but I think they're better than a series of forced encounters placed on the dungeon map in a non-branching path, turning every dungeon into a very slow moving conveyor belt of annoying encounters.

The complexity of the mechanics is also another issue. You can't actually just mash attack so you have to set up and pay off a bunch of systems in the game, which only serves to make each encounter take way too long. It's this unpleasant marriage between tactical RPGs like Shadowrun Returns and X-com and the typical JRPG. The game also tries to add pressure by making enemies get stronger every turn, encouraging you to finish the fight optimally instead of just blindly mashing attack, but this can often result in the obnoxious scenario of spending most turns reviving people who got one-shotted last turn.

The fact that the game tries to go for a class system where you have 3 classes at once on each character but there's a bunch of redundancies in the abilities they can learn just makes things even more annoying. There's like 10 different healing spells in the game that all pretty much just do the same thing and cost the same amount of mp.

It's definitely improved in chapter 4, where they turned combat into some weird pokemon thing. A lot of the problems I mentioned are still present, but they managed to arrange the skills in a more manageable and pleasing way and added switch in-out mechanics for the ridiculously large roster of little monster guys that lets you sub characters in if you're horribly losing. The difficulty curve also seems managed way better, and they finally realized a dungeon that's a straight line is loving boring so they added branching paths and even let you avoid some enemies if you feel like it. Of course, that would just put you behind the expected XP curve in a game where grinding is impossible so there's not really a point to it.

So yeah, that's my review of those two games: I was kinda surprised when I started having some fun in part 4.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's a chapter 4? How many of those loving things are they going to make?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I get the distinct impression part 4 is the final one, from how the story is going.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

raditts posted:

Was that game ever actually sold for money? Pretty much all the BBSes in my area back in the day had it up for free, and they weren't pirate BBSes or anything.
Boy was that ever a disappointing day when I played that poo poo.
Yes, they were actual official licensed products put on shelves.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I remember finding it funny how the Penny Arcade guys made two actually pretty good RPGs with decent art and mechanics and then decided "nope this is too much work" and just made the other ones RPG-Maker garbage.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good anyways. I'd play them again.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Enter the Gungeon looks like my Binding of Isaac. Aesthetically, it kinda resembles Big Guy and Rusty in pixel form.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ciaphas posted:

I was gonna post a sick rebuttal of a good Shadowrun Genesis track but then I ran into a problem so have some Gauntlet 4 music instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd395iSD80

The only Gauntlet game I've ever played was the NES version and that had an original soundtrack full of some really catchy tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoTRFgVImQ

Anyway everyone I finished Hexen and its expansion. It was bad. So very bad. Moved on to Hexen 2 now and so far it's not bad!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

I remember finding it funny how the Penny Arcade guys made two actually pretty good RPGs with decent art and mechanics and then decided "nope this is too much work" and just made the other ones RPG-Maker garbage.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good anyways. I'd play them again.

It's more that they didn't sell very well because even back then Penny Arcade was a relic.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

The only Gauntlet game I've ever played was the NES version and that had an original soundtrack full of some really catchy tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoTRFgVImQ

Anyway everyone I finished Hexen and its expansion. It was bad. So very bad. Moved on to Hexen 2 now and so far it's not bad!

Hexen 2 is the third person game that doesn't resemble Hexen at all, right? Or was that Heretic 2? I think they made a Heretic 2 at some point.
Out of all of those, Heretic is probably the best IMO. Had so much fun beating my neighbor's rear end in that over modem play. Got to play it a couple times on DWANGO too.
Hexen multiplayer was poo poo because each class only had like 4 weapons and then you had to find and assemble pieces for a game-breaking fourth weapon.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wow, looks like I lucked out not reading chat thread yesterday

corn in the bible posted:

katamari forever is nice but i think me and my katamari is better
Good to know, I enjoyed Katamari Forever but I could use more stuff for my PSTV anyway. I'll look out for it on sale. I loved both PS2 games but I didn't like the Xbox 360 one much.

Also I think matcha makes a good hard candy flavor but is just kind of off tasting in other poo poo like Kitkats

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

raditts posted:

Hexen 2 is the third person game that doesn't resemble Hexen at all, right? Or was that Heretic 2? I think they made a Heretic 2 at some point.

That was Heretic 2, yeah. Hexen 2 is more first person stuff.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hello fellow gamers! What first-person shoot-em-ups are you looking forward to this year? I am most excited for Shadow Warrior 2 by Flying Hog Games and Space Hulk: Deathwing by Streum On Studio.

Semper games! :cool:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Total Warhammer

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Man Whore posted:

Total Warhammer

Wrong genre, friend, but I can see how you could get confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's still incredible to me that someone took Shadow Warrior, a racist Duke Nukem knockoff, and turned it into a pretty fantastic game! I am really looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2.

• Locked thread