Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Magic vs martial in D&D makes sense if you remember that the writers and vocal fans are still really, really mad about high school gym class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Someone post Dark Dungeons it's page 666.

Also someone post the 5E point buy thing I need it and can't find it.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
It really is the "core audience" that's the biggest problem.

Remember, in the final playtest, Fighters had features like "recover your maneuver dice as an action, not an hour of rest" and "recover half your hp" and "You have advantage on all saves" and "when you hit a mook, it just dies" and "when you take a meteorswarm to the face, make an easy con save with advantage to nosell it".

The fans went absolutely nuts over it and all of those features were nerfed to the point of being next to worthless. The designers realized that an optimized fighter should never be as good at combat as an unoptimized spellcaster, made it so, and called it a day.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Razorwired posted:

Magic vs martial in D&D makes sense if you remember that the writers and vocal fans are still really, really mad about high school gym class.

Don't forget about anime, and World of WarCraft.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Food for thought:

The spell list of a level 1 Wizard in Everquest d20:

Frost Bolt: deal 1d8 cold damage
Minor Shielding: grants caster +2 AC and +2 HP
Numbing Cold: 1d6 cold damage to all within a 10-foot burst
Shock of Frost: 1d6 cold damage
Sphere of Light: creates a glowing globe that illuminates an area
True North: caster senses true north

The spell list of a level 1 Warmage in D&D 3rd Edition:

Lesser acid orb
Burning hands
Chill touch
Lesser cold orb
Lesser electric orb
Lesser fire orb
Magic missile
Shocking grasp
Sleep
Lesser sonic orb
True strike

The spell list of a level 1 Wizard in D&D 5th Edition:

Alarm
Burning Hands
Charm Person
Chromatic Orb
Color Spray
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
False Life
Feather Fall
Find Familiar
Fog Cloud
Grease
Identify
Illusory Script
Jump
Longstrider
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Protection from Evil and Good
Ray of Sickness
Shield
Silent Image
Sleep
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Tenser’s Floating Disk
Thunderwave
Unseen Servant
Witch Bolt

The very first spell on that last list, Alarm, already takes a poo poo on the stereotype of the grizzled warrior taking first watch while the rest of the party sleeps encamped.

It's possible to create a magical spellcaster class that doesn't outshine everyone else. You just have to be willing to actually design it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Kai Tave posted:

"Do a bunch of work patching the game yourself" is a solution of sorts, as is "play a different game," but they're admittedly not very helpful solutions for someone who wants to play Next but doesn't really want to have to also play the "which deficiencies am I going to have to spackle over this week?" minigame alongside it.

oh I was just speaking in generalities. how to fix the problem for a hypothetical improved system

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Everquest D20's "True North" is a good example of a useful utility spell that doesn't step on anyone's toes. The wizard can find North (a neat trick if you can't see the sky and your compass is unreliable, broken, or lost) but is still going to need someone to navigate to where they're going.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The playtest had a bunch of fun and cool stuff for the fighter. For a while superiority dice were per round! At level 20 the fighter could often just say 'no, I don't die' and had good saves. There was a two-handed finesse weapon that I built a fun barbarian around which really scratched my out of the box character building itch! There was meaningful pay-off to building a reach fighter without needing three feats! Then people complained and most of the creative things that I enjoyed got taken out of the game outright and I'm still pretty upset that 'no that's unrealistic' politics bullshit turned the playtest which I quite enjoyed into whatever this is.
E: Legitimately someone running a mix of the playtest packet classes would make me want to play again but as it is I look at the character sheets and just feel sad that I could do something fun with wild shape and the barbarian, or I could just go druid 20 and cast the spell shapeshift and abuse the gently caress out of access to legendary resistance on the first half dozen forms instead

is that good fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Allstone posted:

The playtest had a bunch of fun and cool stuff for the fighter. For a while superiority dice were per round! At level 20 the fighter could often just say 'no, I don't die' and had good saves. There was a two-handed finesse weapon that I built a fun barbarian around which really scratched my out of the box character building itch! There was meaningful pay-off to building a reach fighter without needing three feats! Then people complained and most of the creative things that I enjoyed got taken out of the game outright and I'm still pretty upset that 'no that's unrealistic' politics bullshit turned the playtest which I quite enjoyed into whatever this is.

As someone who temporarily bought into the playtest once before losing interest quickly, are there any archives for playtest-version things for 5E, classes in particular?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ditch skills and every pure utility spell. Everyone gets their class, race and a background, and justify how those help them do a noncombat thing, and roll under a number based on that and a relevant stat rather than a dm-set target. I don't know what the numbers should be but it's simple and fun enough for in-between combats.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Even with that people have trouble breaking out of the habit of 'no he's a wizard that seems reasonable' 'I'm not sure a fighter could do that' kind of stuff.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The wizard does get way more stuff but it opens up more social stuff for fighters, gives a mechanically level playing field and gives a chance of failure for wizard stuff. It's not perfect but it makes things more interesting.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
"The flying castle soars overhead."

"Um, I'll cast fly?"

"Kay, roll under your intelligence."

"I'll jump!"

"No."

"I'll rip a tree from the ground and use it to pole vault!"

"gently caress no."

"I'll tie a large rock to a rope, and throw it to the castle, then climb up?"

"Okay. Roll a dexterity check for the knot tying, roll a strength check for the throw--extra hard, because that castle is high up there--I'll roll a straight 1d20 to see if you're lucky enough for your rock to not just fall off. Now roll another strength check to climb. Actually, better make that three, because that's 60 feet of rope."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chaos rhames posted:

Ditch skills and every pure utility spell. Everyone gets their class, race and a background, and justify how those help them do a noncombat thing, and roll under a number based on that and a relevant stat rather than a dm-set target. I don't know what the numbers should be but it's simple and fun enough for in-between combats.

Maybe I should just play Burning Wheel.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

"The flying castle soars overhead."

"Um, I'll cast fly?"

"Kay, roll under your intelligence."

"I'll jump!"

"No."

"I'll rip a tree from the ground and use it to pole vault!"

"gently caress no."

"I'll tie a large rock to a rope, and throw it to the castle, then climb up?"

"Okay. Roll a dexterity check for the knot tying, roll a strength check for the throw--extra hard, because that castle is high up there--I'll roll a straight 1d20 to see if you're lucky enough for your rock to not just fall off. Now roll another strength check to climb. Actually, better make that three, because that's 60 feet of rope."

You can tell the fighter has int as a dump stat because he didn't ask the flying wizard to just tie the rope off for him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Machai posted:

You can tell the fighter has int as a dump stat because he didn't ask the flying wizard to just tie the rope off for him.

Oh god "you are not smart enough to come up with that plan" is just the worst and I'm glad its never come up in a game I've played.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

TorakFade posted:

One thing that could kinda "balance" mages is that they are usually frail guys. Unless they're buffed with defensive spells and magic items, they should go down easily, all it takes is a sword through the gut and boom, no more mage; it might be difficult to get in melee range, but once you do they're toast. They need martials to protect them against physical threat.
Which is fine if the game is in some way shape or form dynamic enough that the Wizard getting ready to cast their one spell and the Fighter protecting them are both making some sort of meaningful choice in the moment to moment gameplay. Generally, though, it works far better when one person is controlling the entire party, as in a video game or a wargame.

Perhaps one of the most egregious apologies for 5e is this notion of the Fighter protecting the Wizard while the Wizard warms up, which isn't supported by the design at all. Fighters have very few means for actually defending their allies, and spells are all instantly activated because doing nothing for five minutes while your spell warms up is kinda boring.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh god "you are not smart enough to come up with that plan" is just the worst and I'm glad its never come up in a game I've played.

I've never had a DM enforce that against me, but it's been a lot of fun to roleplay around. In the paladins case it was, "The goddess has granted me a revelation, we should try doing $thing." I also played an 8 int noble fighter with history proficiency. Every time I came up with a plan I'd just start with "I recall by tutor taught me about a battle where the outnumbered heroes were in a situation exactly like ours and this is what they did..."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Wow if you create a situation where skills that aren't designed to be universal don't fit and then assume a bad GM is in charge it doesn't work to allow fighters to do exactly what wizards do.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I still say the biggest problem with magic is the whole notion of Vancian casting. It's dumb. It makes your spells, themselves, the resource and creates the illusion that scarcity should equal power. I don't know why DnD didn't ever make a class designed around at-will casting and just heavily pushing it toward a very specific implementation. After call, only in literally Vance do wizards cast one spell and take a pee break. They always have magic at hand - they might choose not to use it because of the consequences but rarely do they just shrug and say, "oops, can't, out of spells today." Magic should be a skill the same way being a burly guy is a skill. It should have about the same level of utility too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I still say the biggest problem with magic is the whole notion of Vancian casting. It's dumb. It makes your spells, themselves, the resource and creates the illusion that scarcity should equal power. I don't know why DnD didn't ever make a class designed around at-will casting and just heavily pushing it toward a very specific implementation. After call, only in literally Vance do wizards cast one spell and take a pee break. They always have magic at hand - they might choose not to use it because of the consequences but rarely do they just shrug and say, "oops, can't, out of spells today." Magic should be a skill the same way being a burly guy is a skill. It should have about the same level of utility too.

That was the 3e warlock, which does exist in 5e.* I get the feeling it was significantly altered because of grogs whining about a caster being able to do things all day long; I know that's been a pain point in the past. (*Or the truenamer, m maybe?)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that in the TSR days, it was possible to get around Vancian casting limits anyway by spending your money to carry lots of spell scrolls around with you. Certainly the Magic-User in my AD&D game has been doing that, although obviously you couldn't do it at the start of the game.

There was also finding rods, scrolls and staves which would then have dozens of spell charges available.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I could poo poo a better balanced martial vs magic system than 5e

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mendrian posted:

I still say the biggest problem with magic is the whole notion of Vancian casting. It's dumb. It makes your spells, themselves, the resource and creates the illusion that scarcity should equal power.

And even Vancian wizards aren't like D&D wizards. Since the very strongest Vancian wizard only had five spell slots, every Vancian wizard was skilled in normal combat and other non-magical pursuits. Under that model, wizard is basically a prestige class for high level characters that has five levels, each level giving a character exactly one spell slot.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Speaking of wizards, abjuration spec vs divination. Which one?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

That was the 3e warlock, which does exist in 5e.* I get the feeling it was significantly altered because of grogs whining about a caster being able to do things all day long; I know that's been a pain point in the past. (*Or the truenamer, m maybe?)
Truenamer is totally nonfunctional, admittedly. They seriously hosed up the DC scaling on the abilities.

The other at-will casters: binders, dragonfire adepts, and misc incarnum users, worked pretty well mechanically. I guess technically shadowcasters count, but honestly they're really just 'slightly sucky homegrown vancian'

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Truenamer is totally nonfunctional, admittedly. They seriously hosed up the DC scaling on the abilities.

:wizard101: You can actually jigger it so that you can pass the Truenaming DCs with relative ease, though the problem is that you have to do a fair amount of optimization, AND the end result is that you remain an exceedingly mediocre caster whose class wants them to dabble in gishing. No, getting Gate at level 20 does not save Truenamer.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

because that's generally how magic works? i don't know. i didn't make the spell lists, but none of the spells make me think 'why can magic do this?'

i do think that magic in d&d can do too much, but narratively it's difficult to feel comfortable restraining it because it's, you know, magic.

magic isn't real, why can it do anything?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

:wizard101: You can actually jigger it so that you can pass the Truenaming DCs with relative ease, though the problem is that you have to do a fair amount of optimization, AND the end result is that you remain an exceedingly mediocre caster whose class wants them to dabble in gishing. No, getting Gate at level 20 does not save Truenamer.

Yeah if you can get the GM to approve custom items to make your class work, but if you can do that then even the fighter is salvagable.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharzak posted:

I'm going to DM a one-shot adventure for our party, who is at level 3. I want it to be a spooky, atmospheric dungeon crawl. Anyone have any tips for running something scary in this? What are some good and horrifying encounter ideas? I think the basic notion is going to be they're lost in the woods, come across a hut, and in the basement is a trapdoor to an absurdly huge dungeon.

The Dungeon is a manufacturing center for a Blood mage, Floor 1 is "Acquisitions" lots of undead/spirit guards and cells, 2nd is for "Manufacturing" people tied to tables. This is where they find the Blood River, which is a maintenance line on the outside of the dungeon that pipes all of the blood through while skeletons sprinkle in magic powder to stop coagulation. 3rd Floor is Research, tons of monsters spliced together into giant creatures in holding pins, maybe a few researcher mages. and finally, on the 4th floor you have Management, and that's where the powerful blood mage sits, waiting for the adventurers to drop in and they have a choice. Walk away, and forget they were ever there. Or perish.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Skellybones posted:

I could poo poo a better balanced martial vs magic system than 5e

Its called the tome of battle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

The Dungeon is a manufacturing center for a Blood mage, Floor 1 is "Acquisitions" lots of undead/spirit guards and cells, 2nd is for "Manufacturing" people tied to tables. This is where they find the Blood River, which is a maintenance line on the outside of the dungeon that pipes all of the blood through while skeletons sprinkle in magic powder to stop coagulation. 3rd Floor is Research, tons of monsters spliced together into giant creatures in holding pins, maybe a few researcher mages. and finally, on the 4th floor you have Management, and that's where the powerful blood mage sits, waiting for the adventurers to drop in and they have a choice. Walk away, and forget they were ever there. Or perish.

Or submit a resume. Don't assume things about your players in advance.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

chaos rhames posted:

Wow if you create a situation where skills that aren't designed to be universal don't fit and then assume a bad GM is in charge it doesn't work to allow fighters to do exactly what wizards do.

In my experience, situations like that are actually pretty frequent.

In the last session of 5e I played in a few weeks ago, we were stuck behind a trap hallway that had turned on, but one of the walls of the room we were in was shared with another room from earlier in the dungeon that we wanted to get into. I was playing a martial character with 20 Strength that was all about breaking things and wrestling people. I suggested breaking the wall down, and the DM questioned whether my character would have the locational awareness to know that the rooms shared a thin wall. After I pointed out that one of the party members was Good At Maps™, the DM asked what I would use to break the wall down. After I said I would use whatever furniture was nearby as a battering ram, the DM said that there weren't any objects around, because the halls and rooms were apparently empty and featureless. After I got the wizard to cast fabricate to create some sort of battering ram out of some spare weapons and armor I had on hand, the DM said it would take me an hour to break through the wall, and I'd suffer one rank of exhaustion. I decided to do it anyway.

Then the wizard cast dimension door to go through the wall and turned all the traps off. Some people are just sticklers for ~realism~.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what was your intelligence? isn't like baseline human intelligence assumed to be 10, and creatures way way dumber than humans can understand things like 'two rooms next to each other share walls'

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Yeah if you can get the GM to approve custom items to make your class work, but if you can do that then even the fighter is salvagable.

You don't need custom items, actually. Keep in mind I haven't read up about Truenamers in years, but getting them to trivially pass Truenaming DCs can be done completely within the rules. That part I remember. Though again, the endpoint is extremely mediocre and 100% not worth the book slog.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Vanguard Warden posted:

In my experience, situations like that are actually pretty frequent.

In the last session of 5e I played in a few weeks ago, we were stuck behind a trap hallway that had turned on, but one of the walls of the room we were in was shared with another room from earlier in the dungeon that we wanted to get into. I was playing a martial character with 20 Strength that was all about breaking things and wrestling people. I suggested breaking the wall down, and the DM questioned whether my character would have the locational awareness to know that the rooms shared a thin wall. After I pointed out that one of the party members was Good At Maps™, the DM asked what I would use to break the wall down. After I said I would use whatever furniture was nearby as a battering ram, the DM said that there weren't any objects around, because the halls and rooms were apparently empty and featureless. After I got the wizard to cast fabricate to create some sort of battering ram out of some spare weapons and armor I had on hand, the DM said it would take me an hour to break through the wall, and I'd suffer one rank of exhaustion. I decided to do it anyway.

Then the wizard cast dimension door to go through the wall and turned all the traps off. Some people are just sticklers for ~realism~.

Your dm sounds real boring.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Speaking of wizards, abjuration spec vs divination. Which one?

I played an Abj. wiz in Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat. Human Variant with the Healer feat. The party was fluid at first, hence the Healer feat. Finished Rise of Tiamat around (under-leveled, had DM problems; go go Adventurer's League) 11, so I never really had the chance to take advantage of the bonus to counterspells/dispells or the resistance. When facing >1 caster; counterspell is almost pointless, b/c you can use your reaction to counter another counter on the original turn of whatever you cast. You have a limited # of slots and reactions for and entire day. The fodder casters have all that they have for one encounter. In RoT I just happened to have a wand of fear from the lake when facing the group of mages in the tower (sorry to be vague, 1.5 year spoilers?). Not even sure how often you encounter multiple casters, but it IS a thing.

Anyway, the arcane ward probably saved me a few times, but I'm positive a few encounter could've been ended earlier and party resources could've been saved if I had the right portent dice. I had two fluctuating un-optimized parties, so who knows?

So in the end, it depends on the group composition, DM tendencies, type of adventure, allowed sources/alternate rules (be they UA, marking rules, spell points, hero points), and the expected level range.

But my straight up gut feeling it to go Divination. It is one of those rare abilities that leaves nothing to chance and lets you control the flow of combat/narrative/dialogue.
-------------
Since the WotC forums closed, I can remember a few guides/dudes off the top of my head. "Arrive on Time" which is on enworld now I believe. And Treantmonk20 who is on google.

------------
I actually never saw the theory crafting / math behind the Necromancy / Bone Zone. Anyone have an idea/page # when that happened?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, druids are OP. I wildshaped into a Goblin Boss when we encountered a shitton of goblins and watched as all but one were slaughtered because I kept switching places with them and their friends would take the blow instead.

Goblins =/ Beasts. Did Dobby and Obould not teach us anything?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Libertad! posted:

Don't forget about anime, and World of WarCraft.

Man, I loving wish D&D had one tenth of the class balance WoW has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Koba posted:

Man, I loving wish D&D had one tenth of the class balance WoW has.
Having played a Shaman through Burning Crusade, I could never quite understand why the devs always refused to buff that class despite its obvious weaknesses.

Nine years on and through the lens of D&D, I feel like I have a better understanding of how vindictive people can be, especially when given the reins of game design.