Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hagakure had to have passed the entrance exam somehow. It wasn't a sneaking mission.

As I've said before, we can probably take it as a given that the point-scoring robots are defeatable by any reasonably competent martial artist. There's plenty of folks who've passed the exam and have non-combat (or non-damage-dealing) powers. Plus, invisibility is pretty powerful in combat. She could just walk up to a robot, remove a hatch, and start tugging wires out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

As I've said before, we can probably take it as a given that the point-scoring robots are defeatable by any reasonably competent martial artist. There's plenty of folks who've passed the exam and have non-combat (or non-damage-dealing) powers. Plus, invisibility is pretty powerful in combat. She could just walk up to a robot, remove a hatch, and start tugging wires out.

That's what I've been figuring she did. Since it's all recorded, they'd have been able to see when she took one out by finding all the robots that just start spontaneously coming apart.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about those Rescue points? It's how Deku passed the exam.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Well, considering that he was the only one to pass on just Rescue points, we know that everyone else had to have taken out at least one of the machines.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FH_Meta posted:

Well, considering that he was the only one to pass on just Rescue points, we know that everyone else had to have taken out at least one of the machines.

I believe they said he's the first one to do so in a while too.

There had to be at least some robots who could be beaten with a good punch or something since Ojiro also passed and he just has a tail. Perhaps they all actually have a self destruct button you can mash if you get past their defenses.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tollymain posted:

what if you just had the person showing up in the background of the comic doing things all the time but nobody ever comments on it or notices

they can avoid the attention of everybody except the reader

Mind = blown.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

I believe they said he's the first one to do so in a while too.

There had to be at least some robots who could be beaten with a good punch or something since Ojiro also passed and he just has a tail. Perhaps they all actually have a self destruct button you can mash if you get past their defenses.

"Just" a tail? Have you seen how muscular that thing is?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Turns out Ojiro's Quirk isn't his tail - he's just a guy with a thick-rear end tail.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Countblanc posted:

Turns out Ojiro's Quirk isn't his tail - he's just a guy with a thick-rear end tail.

I bet it's his eyes. His quirk is being drawn differently from everybody else.

HellishWhiskers fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

There is also a Touhou character like this. Naturally, she's one of the most popular characters in the franchise.

Imp from Worm also has a power like this.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
About the anime...did anyone else feel like DekuMom knew he didn't have a Quirk from the start? They emphasized her reaction to "When I get my Quirk, I want to be just like him!". She did that in the manga too, but it was more subtle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vengarr posted:

About the anime...did anyone else feel like DekuMom knew he didn't have a Quirk from the start? They emphasized her reaction to "When I get my Quirk, I want to be just like him!". She did that in the manga too, but it was more subtle.

She probably knew that all the other kids had gotten theirs way earlier, and she herself had developed it earlier. It seems like it'd be common knowledge that kids always develop quirks by a certain age, and Deku was just too young to know that. So for her, going to the doctor was just confirmation of what she already suspected (and that's why she even bothered taking him in to get tested). Compare it to a mother worrying that her kid hasn't learned to read yet and then getting a diagnosis of some learning disability.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
While enjoying my 3 day probation vacation I caught up on the manga.

Holy poo poo. What a ride.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver2195 posted:

Imp from Worm also has a power like this.

like most powers in worm, this power is used in terrifying ways

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Also she probably knew at least something about the heredity of powers. Assuming that her power has a hard weight limit and dad's was like putting alcohol in your mouth a blowing on a match (only better because there's no prep involved), then neither one is a high end power for a hero.

And most of the combinations aren't that great. Being able to attract fires to yourself is nice, but if you have to do it by breathing in.... That's a bigger limitation than size is, honestly. Attraction breath is less good than just being straight up able to pull them in. And so forth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think you usually get a combination power, I think Todoroki is explicitly special in that regard. Watching the first episode of the anime, they say that a child usually gets the power from one of their parents.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
We don't know the actual genetics of it (and for good reason), but I was pretty sure that the doctor said by age four a child has usually manifested one of the parent's quirks or a combination. I'm gonna go check and will edit this soon.

EDIT: Yeah. The doc's words are that normally Deku would have manifested one of his parent's quirks or a combination of the two. I think that Shouto's uniqueness comes in that his father was going for a combination that was self-offsetting.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 6, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That's kind of strange, though, because clearly the first generation of quirk-havers would just have random quirks, since none of them would have parents who have quirks. It seems like quirks would effective "dilute" into a bunch of really bizarre poo poo that isn't useful after a few generations if people only inherited either one of or a combination of their parents' quirks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

a bunch of really bizarre poo poo that isn't useful

isn't that kinda how they are though? I mean almost everyone has a quirk but not everybody is a superhero so most regular folks probably just have some dumb thing that either works like a semi-useful but mundane talent and/or just makes life more annoying

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hopefully, MHA is like Tiger & Bunny where it's not generally concerned with the why or how of the superpowers, but more focused on the characters that have them.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I thought it was interesting that the anime made it more explicit that the ice girl in the opening is probably related to Todoroki. Makes me wonder if the the chubby telekinetic is going to show up at some point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We saw a classmate in the first chapter his only power it appears was to pull his eyes out of their sockets.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

We saw a classmate in the first chapter his only power it appears was to pull his eyes out of their sockets.

I was reminded of the episode of Tiger & Bunny (going back to that again) that featured a bunch of people who kinda had useless powers like that, like one of them could sweat a whole lot.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Flash Sweat is really good if you're up against a pyromancer, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They haven't explained the hereditary passing on of quirks, but in Todoroki's case isn't he the youngest of his siblings? Implies to me that getting a quirk combo in a kid is less common than just one quirk passing down.

I'm getting Pokemon breeding PTSD all of a sudden.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Shinjobi posted:

They haven't explained the hereditary passing on of quirks, but in Todoroki's case isn't he the youngest of his siblings? Implies to me that getting a quirk combo in a kid is less common than just one quirk passing down.

I do remember people making that comparison earlier in the thread. Especially considering the negligent attitude Endeavor had to the "runts" of his eugenics campaign.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Shinjobi posted:

Todoroki has like 6 brothers and sisters and think a few are younger than him though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if he was a huge dick about it, Endeavor's idea to get rid of the limit of his quirk in one of his children was very clever. Up until recently, All Might could just keep going and going which is probably one of the major advantages he had over Endeavor. You know, aside from not being a huge dick but whatever. Todoroki has no limit to his quirk use, provided he uses both aspects. It doesn't even seem to tire him out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
1: it's kinda a major plot point how all might can no longer keep going.

2: Jesus christ todoroki is a shiny.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirKibbles posted:

Todoroki has like 6 brothers and sisters and think a few are younger than him though.

He looks to be the youngest actually.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Endeavor's eugenics program predates All Might's disability. He wasn't trying to beat the current, frequently useless All Might; Endeavor was trying to beat All Might in his prime. It isn't just Endeavor- just about everyone seems to have a limit on how long they can use their quirk, but All Might did not. .

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Endeavor's eugenics program predates All Might's disability. He wasn't trying to beat the current, frequently useless All Might; Endeavor was trying to beat All Might in his prime. It isn't just Endeavor- just about everyone seems to have a limit on how long they can use their quirk, but All Might did not. .

I wonder if that's going to be a plot point in the future; All Might's limit on OfA is based on his injuries and now having passed it on to Midoriya, and every time Midoriya uses it his body gives out before his ability to keep OfA active. Maybe that's an inherent quality to OfA, or perhaps it's something to do with the fact that it isn't their natural quirk? Obviously the topic of the hows and whys of quirks is something nobody really wants to come up in the story but OfA is such a special case I imagine if it has some unique limitless nature to it there will be a chapter about it at some point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, I thought of another person whose quirk is endless: Mt. Lady, because that rear end never stops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

isn't that kinda how they are though? I mean almost everyone has a quirk but not everybody is a superhero so most regular folks probably just have some dumb thing that either works like a semi-useful but mundane talent and/or just makes life more annoying

No, I mean in the sense that they would all blend together into something incomprehensible. As the generations increase, you'd end up with people with quirks that are the combination of like 10 other quirks, which in most cases probably wouldn't even conceptually make sense. Like, it's easy enough to imagine a combination of, say, Midoriya's parents' quirks, but what if you try to them combine "ability to attract small amounts of fire" or whatever with some other hybrid quirk? And then combined two of those doubly-hybridized quirks? And so on?

Personally I prefer the idea that quirks are just totally random, with maybe a somewhat higher tendency for the child to have an ability related to one or both of his parents' abilities. So Todoroki might have a larger chance than the average person to have a quirk related to fire or ice, but could also just end up with anything random.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh, I thought of another person whose quirk is endless: Mt. Lady, because that rear end never stops.

:ughh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

No, I mean in the sense that they would all blend together into something incomprehensible. As the generations increase, you'd end up with people with quirks that are the combination of like 10 other quirks, which in most cases probably wouldn't even conceptually make sense. Like, it's easy enough to imagine a combination of, say, Midoriya's parents' quirks, but what if you try to them combine "ability to attract small amounts of fire" or whatever with some other hybrid quirk? And then combined two of those doubly-hybridized quirks? And so on?

Personally I prefer the idea that quirks are just totally random, with maybe a somewhat higher tendency for the child to have an ability related to one or both of his parents' abilities. So Todoroki might have a larger chance than the average person to have a quirk related to fire or ice, but could also just end up with anything random.

You might prefer that idea but it isn't accurate.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Quirks might've originally been random but since then it's become apparent they can get passed down genetically with the occasional mutation, dead end, or surprise twist.

That said, I feel like this discussion is taking the premise of the comic to logical extremes it was never meant to entertain. Not saying there's a problem with talking about this kind of stuff, but this is very much an issue where suspension of disbelief takes priority over worrying about the state of a fictional world in two hundred years.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

They could also conceivably improve, though; what if, rather than "attract small amounts of fire", the quirks combined to become proper pyrokinesis? It's still the essence of both abilities, and there's no reason the quirks have to get worse necessarily; after all, Todoroki's quirk is superior to Endeavor's and his mother's. The quirks may get weirder, but that doesn't mean they're going to become meaningless or bizarre over time. For everyone, at least; obviously some people will wind up with lackluster quirks, or none at all, but that's how it is already.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Actually that's why the aliens awakened humanity's quirks in the first place. So that over time, across the generations they would merge and unify into a single ultimate quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
My God! It makes sense now! It's all a plot by aliens to breed the Kwisatz Haderach, and Endeavor is actually an alien in disguise!

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!