Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Haha! Found it!

US Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 1 - Section 7:

quote:

(1) The high seas, any other waters within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction of the United States and out of the jurisdiction of any particular State, and any vessel belonging in whole or in part to the United States or any citizen thereof, or to any corporation created by or under the laws of the United States, or of any State, Territory, District, or possession thereof, when such vessel is within the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction of the United States and out of the jurisdiction of any particular State.

They cite this all the time, because they don't understand sentence structure.

Whereas a non stupid human reads it as "Any vessel belonging to the United States OR belonging to a citizen of the United States", sovereigns interpret this as "A vessel belonging to the United States" OR "any citizen thereof".

Why they're particularly stupid is that the command after "thereof" makes it clear that the construction of the sentence is :

VESSEL that belongs to (US/Citizen/Corporation/State).

Their interpretation is:
Vessel that belongs to X, or a citizen, or a Corporation, or a state, when such Vessel...

Language doesn't work that way, but I'm fairly certain this particular clause is where "I AM A BOAT!" comes from. Because not only are they stupid, they can't read a run on sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Raku posted:

More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvCAxGmDq9k

Note how every video with LaVoy opens with a loving closeup of his weapons

Ahaha see that big "SCADA" label on the outside? Pretty much guarantees that these cameras are part of monitoring and control and not even security cameras. SCADA is how utilities monitor and control their equipment remotely. At first I thought maybe it was part of the utility's security system, but there'd be no reason to put two cameras in a box like that with a very limited and specific field of view that just so happens to look directly at the transformers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awww I like the idea of little boat courts :3:.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

theflyingorc posted:

Haha! Found it!

US Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 1 - Section 7:

They cite this all the time, because they don't understand sentence structure.

Whereas a non stupid human reads it as "Any vessel belonging to the United States OR belonging to a citizen of the United States", sovereigns interpret this as "A vessel belonging to the United States" OR "any citizen thereof".

Why they're particularly stupid is that the command after "thereof" makes it clear that the construction of the sentence is :

VESSEL that belongs to (US/Citizen/Corporation/State).

Their interpretation is:
Vessel that belongs to X, or a citizen, or a Corporation, or a state, when such Vessel...

Language doesn't work that way, but I'm fairly certain this particular clause is where "I AM A BOAT!" comes from. Because not only are they stupid, they can't read a run on sentence.

I'm including this in my paper but I won't be able to cite the flying orc sadly. I'll try to get some sort of innuendo in a footnote for you.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
make the credit read

- a man on the internet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Video from Ryan Bundy's cellphone of the Lavoy Finicum shooting has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_78clBvBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTHNULINY0

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I imagine the last thought to flash across his dying brain was "Hey why did they shoot me?"

e: locked out of heaven by Bruno Mars is playing in the second video, a sign from above perhaps?

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 09:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I want to see the universe where lavoy got tased while crossdrawing and shot his own nipple off, they stitch him up and send him to jail forever, and I want that lavoy to see our universe where he dies and no civil war happens and everyone calls him a pissbaby martyr who died like a sniveling coward with his hands up.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

e: locked out of heaven by Bruno Mars is playing in the second video, a sign from above perhaps?

haha

Krinkle has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Apr 6, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"We got too lackadaisical."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"You need to brrrback off!" I can hear his sideways face struggling to say those words. He's like a dick tracey villain but I can't think of a pun about getting run over by a car and not believing in the government.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
My own personal hell is Bruno Mars playing 247

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Amazing the guy yelling "shoot me" and the girl saying "please don't kill me" had such drastically different fates.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Krinkle posted:

"You need to brrrback off!" I can hear his sideways face struggling to say those words. He's like a dick tracey villain but I can't think of a pun about getting run over by a car and not believing in the government.

Dick Tracy and the Confounding Case of

WACO ROADKILL

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

My own personal hell is Bruno Mars playing

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Treadmark Bundy or Treadface Bundy.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

gooface

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Video from Ryan Bundy's cellphone of the Lavoy Finicum shooting has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_78clBvBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTHNULINY0

The cracking voices and crying when these retarded shitlers get exactly what they asked for is so goddamn good.

"We're gonna start a war, git ur gunz murrica, fight the gubment!"

"The shot him!? They're gassing us <sobs> this is not ok!"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Treadmark Bundy or Treadface Bundy.

Treadface McSquinty. Or Johntard Wayne.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Would a simple Treadhead do? Everything I know about Dick Tracy/his villains is from that Daffy Duck cartoon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Treadface McSquinty. Or Johntard Wayne.

Don't bring retarded people into this, they're at least capable of understanding simple concepts like the fact that they are not a boat

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Slowface
No-Laws
Derp Derringer
Wobblejaw

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

PathAsc posted:

The cracking voices and crying when these retarded shitlers get exactly what they asked for is so goddamn good.

"We're gonna start a war, git ur gunz murrica, fight the gubment!"

"The shot him!? They're gassing us <sobs> this is not ok!"
And that's tear gas that they're complaining about. If they want some real civil war poo poo, Iraq and Syria have to semi-routinely deal with Chlorine or Mustard Gas.

"Civil War 2" doesn't sound so fun anymore, huh?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lefty Goodside, because he always stands in profile with his left side facing Tracy.

He escapes at the end of every story arc by blending in with a crowd of slow adults who happen to be walking to Tracy's right.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

fade5 posted:

And that's tear gas that they're complaining about. If they want some real civil war poo poo, Iraq and Syria have to semi-routinely deal with Chlorine or Mustard Gas.

"Civil War 2" doesn't sound so fun anymore, huh?

One constant throughout was that they mentally just couldn't handle any kind of force by the government. Every time they confronted the authorities they started ranting about the guns the police or FBI had as if it was a violation of their rights that the police is armed. Santili was personally in mortal danger when an FBI agent told him to not threaten him. You view that in context of protests and riots in cities when people routinely get teargassed and beaten and hold that up against the macho-militia image these guys are trying to build and it's all just very pathetic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Don't bring retarded people into this, they're at least capable of understanding simple concepts like the fact that they are not a boat

You are absolutely right. Sovcit is pretty much a term that says 'ARE YOU A WIZARD' and walks into walls expecting the wall to move.

cumshitter posted:

Lefty Goodside, because he always stands in profile with his left side facing Tracy.

He escapes at the end of every story arc by blending in with a crowd of slow adults who happen to be walking to Tracy's right.

Or hiding out at leather bars but keeping in profile so he's either 'vacant loser' or 'just smelled a ripe fart.'

Anosmoman posted:

One constant throughout was that they mentally just couldn't handle any kind of force by the government. Every time they confronted the authorities they started ranting about the guns the police or FBI had as if it was a violation of their rights that the police is armed. Santili was personally in mortal danger when an FBI agent told him to not threaten him. You view that in context of protests and riots in cities when people routinely get teargassed and beaten and hold that up against the macho-militia image these guys are trying to build and it's all just very pathetic.

I like how they think the government is this authoritarian mass yet still appeal to the public via a media that would actually be controlled by the same authoritarian mass. If America was truly locked down, we wouldn't be talking about this, there would be no guns, and these motherfuckers would already be dead or tortured to death while their family forgets they ever existed. It really is pathetic cosplay run by giant infants.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Anosmoman posted:

David Fry was in tears recalling a (probably fake) story where police officers told him they voted for Obama. It was that upsetting to him. These people cannot hold up under any real stress.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One of the first things Fry screams at the police in the final standoff recording is something along the lines of, "You let Hillary Clinton run for president!!!"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Knight posted:

David Fry was in tears recalling a (probably fake) story where police officers told him they voted for Obama. It was that upsetting to him. These people cannot hold up under any real stress.

I don't think they're necessarily weak, but so desperate and sad that they buy into any side they can find to justify their rage and it just destroys them over time. Being this delusional takes a remarkable amount of work and diligence. Why do you think they are always watching Fox News? They don't have a belief system as much as a constantly-reinforced narrative that gives him hope in the saddest way possible.

cumshitter posted:

One of the first things Fry screams at the police in the final standoff recording is something along the lines of, "You let Hillary Clinton run for president!!!"

It'd be funnier if he finished that with 'I'll end up in an apron in court drugged out of my mind!'

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How dare you sell uranium rights to the Chinese... Open these park lands to the public so we can, in actuality, sell mining rights to a nameless multinational (maybe the Chinese).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Anosmoman posted:

They just keep on spewing the same Internet Tough Guy style threats that they're about to take down the biggest political entity on Earth because they've got "justice" and "freedom", then immediately fold the second said entity approaches them with kiddy glove level force. Like they just couldn't process the idea that the government might just have something more dangerous than civil servants with clipboards or that revolution would actually put them any any danger.

These are the kind of people that never managed to leave the schoolyard bully mindset: they push around all the youngest, smallest kids, but go crying home to mommy the second someone even close to their size hits back because it's not fun anymore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Knight posted:

Hahah I forgot about him whining about the big mean policeman making fun of him for voting Ron Paul

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Geostomp posted:

They just keep on spewing the same Internet Tough Guy style threats that they're about to take down the biggest political entity on Earth because they've got "justice" and "freedom", then immediately fold the second said entity approaches them with kiddy glove level force. Like they just couldn't process the idea that the government might just have something more dangerous than civil servants with clipboards or that revolution would actually put them any any danger.

These are the kind of people that never managed to leave the schoolyard bully mindset: they push around all the youngest, smallest kids, but go crying home to mommy the second someone even close to their size hits back because it's not fun anymore.

In highschool history class I assume they learned that the founding fathers personally dumped a bunch of tea out and then signed the Declaration of Independence and then Paul Revere warned everyone about the british and then Washington crossed the delaware and the british lost automatically because of his pure raw manliness and retreated because they're a bunch of european pussies we totally had to save the rear end of in WWII and then they all came together after and merged into the MegaFather John Hancock who cast the constitution into being with his powerful quill magic, complete with the bill of rights.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geostomp posted:

They've watched too many feelgood movies and heard too many anecdotes that end "and then everyone stood up and cheered" and now they think that is how the world is supposed to work. You go up against impossible odds, but as long as you grit your teeth, stand your ground, keep the faith, and try your best, in the last hour you will be victorious.

Maybe we should start making more movies based on Russian literature. Good people work hard, struggle and suffer for 3 hours, and then they all die. Nothing changes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean US history classes really don't focus on anything but the big names so it's all "And then Washington won the battle and vanquished the british! [and also 90,000 soldiers died horrible deaths while Washginton was having tea in his fancy general tent]"

Like I could easily see them buying into the incredibly whitewashed and morally unambiguous version of history that we pushed super hard during the cold war (and basically keep pushing today) and then just never even seriously considering that maybe war is actually not great and glorious all the time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What I'm saying is we should round up everyone even slightly right of center into reeducation camps where they are forced to read A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Geostomp posted:

that's really what it boils down to, and it shows in their fake militia where everyone has appointed themselves a General or at worst a Colonel. There are no Privates in the Bundy Militia.

It really shows just how dedicated to the cause they are, that the refuge was mostly abandoned as soon as the leadership was arrested. 'Oh poo poo, there's consequences? I'M OUTTA HERE'

If anything it was a golden opportunity for the self-appointed Colonels to promote themselves, but then they'd actually have to show some resolve.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's great how one of Ammon's selling points to the Harney residents was that there would be no legal repercussions. Because I guess he assumed that he'd correctly called out the government on their unconstitutional bluff in the original standoff.

Then he went to jail and bragged about how they could only get him on some 1800's law meant to prevent angry Southerners from loving with federal officials during the Reconstruction Era.

Then the prosecutors formally filed charges so now he's going to die in prison and he cries like a little bitch when a journalist passes on messages like, "Your wife says she loves you."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cumshitter posted:

It's great how one of Ammon's selling points to the Harney residents was that there would be no legal repercussions. Because I guess he assumed that he'd correctly called out the government on their unconstitutional bluff in the original standoff.

I mean he's stupid and easily mistook "the government has not served an arrest warrant because there are armed guards constantly around the property and the government isn't stupid" as "they don't actually have anything they can pin on me / I did nothing wrong"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

cumshitter posted:

"I'm a revolutionary fighting against a totalitarian government. But don't worry, I can fend them off with LEGAL DEFINITIONS."

So in this world of squinty faces and holeshitting, the government is a huge monolithic entity that will destroy and hold people down...but are BOUND by their own laws if said in a certain way. You cannot make this poo poo up. They bet the rest of their free lives on this. They're going to die in prison because of this.

It's not even good storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, it sounds like it could have been a fun Ringworld novel. A mysterious land where the residents live in fear of golems carrying out the inscrutable commands left by a long dead culture of liberty minded legal wizards, and only a hillbilly who repeats the words he found on some stones he found buried in his back yard can bring freedom back to the people. The stones could double as a critique of Mormonism.