Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lmao, unappreciated post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

:pusheen:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Bit late but I just finished the first two. Not much to say though!

Although I think the first two episodes where actually a bit more enjoyable the second time around. I went in basically blind the first time I saw it so naturally I was pretty drat confused...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A few people have already talked about Senjougahara, Tore in the OST, but while that's a really good tune I actually preferred the one right before it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=app84srU59A Ika Kaisou.

That's some good poo poo, fit the recap sequence like a glove. Very Dangan Ronpa-esque.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just caught up on the first episode (without reading any of the thread)

This show looks and feels a lot like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but a lot less overtly comedic.

Also I like the (seemingly?) irrelevant voiceover with the next episode preview.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I personally find the strings OST in Nise and beyond to be my favorite.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Senjougahara is really aggressively unpleasant and that's pretty cool

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

DoubleDonut posted:

Senjougahara is really aggressively unpleasant and that's pretty cool

She's really aggressively awesome

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

This was definitely way more real than I expected based on what little I'd heard about the series.

Yeah, same.

Also:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shaft is really good at creating the unsettling atmosphere, though Lucida Calligraphy definitely does not do the signs justice.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

If the rest of the series keeps up at least this level of quality/interest I'll get through the whole thing, but so far it hasn't grabbed me by the throat. I was certainly never bored at any point though.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
I have never participated in a simulwatch before, but since I have been interested in these two shows anyways I figure this would be a good excuse to watch them. Wasn't able to make the livewatch, but I have watched the two episodes today. A couple things caught my eye.
First of all the focus on the eyes of the characters, a lot of close-ups and zoom on the eyes. I don't know if this will be a theme troughout the show or if it's just something the showmakers like to do as a visual flourish, but it gave the whole thing quite an intense atmosphere at times.
Secondly the backgrounds full of seemingly endless stairwells and empty hallways. Really strengthening the strangeness of the entire show.

The show worried me for a moment when it was talking about the guilt of Senjougahara pertaining the breaking up of her family. Since that is something that can be treated callously very easily but it worked within visual presentation they gave of her emotions.
I had no idea what to expect of the show, but this is certainly more intriguing then I thought it would be going in. Looking forward to watching the next two episodes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry for being a bit late, some stuff came up.

Although I've never seen this show proper, I have gotten a general impression of it from conversations about it pls watching a few clips on youtube and I have to say the first 2 episodes greatly exceeded my expectations. This show looks and sounds incredibly stylish and the fast witty dry dialogue was both funny and served as an excellent contrast to the emotional moment at the end of episode 2.

Tuiri posted:

I had no idea what to expect of the show, but this is certainly more intriguing then I thought it would be going in. Looking forward to watching the next two episodes.

We're watching 3 episodes tomorrow.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Tuiri posted:

The show worried me for a moment when it was talking about the guilt of Senjougahara pertaining the breaking up of her family. Since that is something that can be treated callously very easily but it worked within visual presentation they gave of her emotions.

Yeah they really did a top notch job presenting Senjougahara's trauma, I remember that whole sequence exceeding my expectations for the show a lot.

Well... To be fair my expectations were not especially high in general, but aside from a few episodes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei I hadn't really watched any Shaft shows.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
HOLY poo poo THE STAPLING

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I haven't actually read any posts here yet. But 12 minutes in and this already isn't the harem thing I was expecting so far based on the Nise things I heard about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nise is good and the fact we're skipping it is cowardice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kylra posted:

I haven't actually read any posts here yet. But 12 minutes in and this already isn't the harem thing I was expecting so far based on the Nise things I heard about.

i've never really seen monogatari as a harem thing, partially because it actually makes fun of that idea a lot

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

That's a lot of school supplies.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Kani/kami. Crab and god are connected. Nice.

Also there's something seriously wrong with this girl other than getting her weight stolen.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I love seeing more of these first-watch reactions!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

If the rest of the series keeps up at least this level of quality/interest I'll get through the whole thing, but so far it hasn't grabbed me by the throat. I was certainly never bored at any point though.

It continues to be good. Next Monday is when we get to watch the episode that really made me sit up straight and say, "Holy poo poo, why didn't I watch this earlier?!"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She is also not very good at wearing clothes just like she says.

I have no idea what is happening here.

Is this some kind of 11th dimensional mind chess game to break Araragi? :iiam:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Man, I dunno, I looked up that toothbrush scene from Nise I've seen some bellyaching about, and that poo poo is noooo good and I hope it doesn't show up in this show.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

She's definitely lacking the dere part of tsundere too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Man, I dunno, I looked up that toothbrush scene from Nise I've seen some bellyaching about, and that poo poo is noooo good and I hope it doesn't show up in this show.

臆病者

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well. That certainly explains it.

Leading off with rape seems like a questionable choice. But at least it wasn't one of those completely tasteless at best portrayals or a plot device for a different character, and the episode basically ends with her coming to terms with events in some way instead of basically being traumatized by it forever with a supernatural twist. I guess that remains to be seen how she plays out from here though. But she didn't smile until the end and that has to mean something right?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kylra posted:

Well. That certainly explains it.

Leading off with rape seems like a questionable choice. But at least it wasn't one of those completely tasteless at best portrayals or a plot device for a different character, and the episode basically ends with her coming to terms with events in some way instead of basically being traumatized by it forever with a supernatural twist. I guess that remains to be seen how she plays out from here though. But she didn't smile until the end and that has to mean something right?

I'm just gonna restate that I really like Senjougahara

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grouchio posted:

May Senjougahara never suffer again.
I think the whole point was that now she can actually suffer like a normal human being instead of being cold and emotionless. At least that's how it seemed to me.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Cake Attack posted:

Cosigned.

esselfortium posted:

All Monogatari is great though.

The infamous toothbrush scene in Nise is absolute comedy gold, from the ridiculous concept itself to the way the they overact their reactions at the end of it like they're doing a sketch. It's definitely the most extended example of that sort of humor in the show, but I think there are a lot of other gags scattered throughout Monogatari where the humor comes from how gleefully and absurdly far it crosses the line. And there is a bit of that in the upcoming arc, which will probably make a decent litmus test for whether you're going to love this show or be skeeved out by it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I am definitely looking forward to the next arc. If we weren't doing this thing I'd probably be staying up way too late tonight.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's freaking awful dude

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Nisemonogatari slips into a weird tone that just kinda worked for me. It felt like a burlesque show, with bizarre hyper-fanservice that you know is silly, the writers know is silly, and even the characters understand that they've become a sketch comedy act.

But I fully understand why most people would skip it. On the surface level (and a few levels beneath it, even) it looks incredibly skeevy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This isn't a thread about nise so I'd prefer if people kept things to bake atm.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sadly, I binged all the monogataris over Christmas, so I can't join you all here. I might watch this robot show.

Monogatari is good.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i tried watching the first two episodes i think and i couldn't really get into it. too much fanservice, and then a little girl showed up and i noped out

please tell me there is no kind of love interest between backpack girl and the vampire, maybe that can get me watching this series again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Condiv posted:

please tell me there is no kind of love interest between backpack girl and the vampire

there isn't

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2016

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

also kaiki and me

sorry i didnt think just the name of a character on their own could be considered a spoiler

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spoilers buddy.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 6, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ed; im gonna pop this post at the polite request of namtab

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

Thread Rules

Bakemonogatari spoilers: To make this thread accessible to people who have not seen monogatari before the policy is that anything we have not watched in this thread has not happened and should be spoiler tagged. This includes events of further arcs in this thread and events/new characters in future seasons of monogatari. This includes wink wink, nudge nudge posting of any kind.

Shut up about nisemonogatari, and characters introduced therein.

Grouchio, don't loving quote spoilers, to tell people off about spoilers.

Colonel, that's not helpful.

• Locked thread