Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

. . . but I had already proven Kelly's unwritten Rule Fifteen about dealing with the Navy. Why ignore it twice?"

What is rule 15? And for that matter . . . 1-14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Our cruisers catch and sink four mine layers.

They then sweep on to take out a nice sized AP.

We see more ineffective Dutch attacks.

Batavia cannot hold much longer. One of their units is wiped out by attrition. We will have to rest our troops however.

A regiment of tanks drives south and rolls over the defenders of another base.

The push north continues – no small groups can be left behind.

We are in the lead! Finally!

And we took out a very nice ship.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chuu posted:

What is rule 15? And for that matter . . . 1-14?

quote:

Johnson's famed "down-to-brass-tacks" management style was summed up by his motto, "Be quick, be quiet, and be on time." He ran Skunk Works by "Kelly's 14 Rules":
  1. The Skunk Works manager must be delegated practically complete control of his program in all aspects. He should report to a division president or higher.
  2. Strong but small project offices must be provided both by the military and industry.
  3. The number of people having any connection with the project must be restricted in an almost vicious manner. Use a small number of good people (10% to 25% compared to the so-called normal systems).
  4. A very simple drawing and drawing release system with great flexibility for making changes must be provided.
  5. There must be a minimum number of reports required, but important work must be recorded thoroughly.
  6. There must be a monthly cost review covering not only what has been spent and committed but also projected costs to the conclusion of the program. Don't have the books 90 days late, and don't surprise the customer with sudden overruns.
  7. The contractor must be delegated and must assume more than normal responsibility to get good vendor bids for subcontract on the project. Commercial bid procedures are very often better than military ones.
  8. The inspection system as currently used by the Skunk Works, which has been approved by both the Air Force and Navy, meets the intent of existing military requirements and should be used on new projects. Push more basic inspection responsibility back to subcontractors and vendors. Don't duplicate so much inspection.
  9. The contractor must be delegated the authority to test his final product in flight. He can and must test it in the initial stages. If he doesn't, he rapidly loses his competency to design other vehicles.
  10. The specifications applying to the hardware must be agreed to well in advance of contracting. The Skunk Works practice of having a specification section stating clearly which important military specification items will not knowingly be complied with and reasons therefore is highly recommended.
  11. Funding a program must be timely so that the contractor doesn't have to keep running to the bank to support government projects.
  12. There must be mutual trust between the military project organization and the contractor with very close cooperation and liaison on a day-to-day basis. This cuts down misunderstanding and correspondence to an absolute minimum.
  13. Access by outsiders to the project and its personnel must be strictly controlled by appropriate security measures.
  14. Because only a few people will be used in engineering and most other areas, ways must be provided to reward good performance by pay not based on the number of personnel supervised.
Note that Kelly had a 15th rule that he passed on by word of mouth. According to the book "Skunk Works" the 15th rule is: "Starve before doing business with the damned Navy. They don't know what the hell they want and will drive you up a wall before they break either your heart or a more exposed part of your anatomy."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, Clark Field might well have become a nearly impregnable bastion if we'd had another 18 months to finish building it and stockpiling supplies.

MacArthur still would have managed to gently caress everything up and lose it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

MacArthur still would have managed to gently caress everything up and lose it.

You're coming close to summoning Fred.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nth Doctor posted:

You're coming close to summoning Fred.

Kinda been surprised at multiple points over the last few days that the discussion about Japanese destroyer doctrine and Long Lances didn't summon him.

Edit: what if Grey Hunter names his kid Fred?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I thought Fred sank with all hands some time ago.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vyelkin posted:

I thought Fred sank with all hands some time ago.
His plane was shot own over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
After seeing some recent discussion on lucky ships I'll finally claim CB-1 Alaska as my lucky ship.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in two years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Can I get IJN CA Myoko as my lucky ship?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Professor Malice posted:

After seeing some recent discussion on lucky ships I'll finally claim CB-1 Alaska as my lucky ship.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in three years.

FTFY

Murgos posted:

Can I get IJN CA Myoko as my lucky ship?

Done

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Is the HMCS Vancouver in this game? If so I'd like that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A bomb hits one of the units clearing up Clebes – these guys don't get mentioned much, as they are taking unoccupied bases.

Are they doing nothing to drive off our subs?

Changsha begins again.

Not much to comment on today. We're rolling forwards.

He he he.

This one is a little late, as I've just driven back from the hospital on 26 hours without sleep.
In other related news, I'm now a father.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 7, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Grey Hunter posted:

Congratulations!

Name?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Congrats on little Kiddo Butai!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Guess SOVIET RESPONSE finally happened, huh? Congrats! :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Grey Hunter posted:

This one is a little late, as I've just driven back from the hospital on 26 hours without sleep.

ALLIED RESPONSE

Do you have a little grognard or a little grognardette? :3:

Also:

Gervasius posted:

Congrats on little Kiddo Butai!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Congratulations Grey. How long will it be before you take on your child as a tactical advisor at Imperial HQ?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Congrats! I guess that's enough of a reason to excuse mixing up the updates for today and tomorrow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
'Grats, Grey

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations Grey!!!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Congratulations Grey on your newly earned status as a father and your upcoming string of sleepless nights.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ikasuhito posted:

Congratulations Grey on your newly earned status as a father and your upcoming string of sleepless nights.

And lo, we have witnessed the death of LPs.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Congratulations Grey!!!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Congrats Grey! You and Mrs Grey must be very proud (and exhausted)

food-rf
May 18, 2014
Congratulations!

Also, I'd like to claim the Galloping Ghost of the Japanese Coast USS Trigger (SS-237), if possible

food-rf fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 6, 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Grey, congratulations! I hope the little Imperial Advisor is healthy and that everything goes as well as it can.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Congratulations! Here's hoping you've got 6 month buffer!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Congratulations!

Name?

Oliver George Joynson. 7lb 7oz. We had a little bit of a fright when a crash cart was called, but it turned out ok. Just trying to sleep (badly as you can guess) before they let the wife out.

Now to see how much of my life he destroys. This is why I'm only running one LP at the moment. Not counting the Rpg games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Please tell me this is a typo of Johnson. Please tell me Grey Hunter put a typo on the birth certificate.

That would be defiantly funny.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Please tell me this is a typo of Johnson. Please tell me Grey Hunter put a typo on the birth certificate.

That would be defiantly funny.

Nope. Guess who has to spell his name every time . We even had a mini confusion at the hospital as a Johnson came in at the same time and they assumed doctors handwriting on the notes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Congratulations GH!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Congratulations Grey! :D

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Congratulations Grey. I started reading your LPs back before you got married, and now I'm reading your LPs after your son was born. Time really flies.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Congratulations!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Congrats, Grey! Looking forward to a Final Blitzkrieg Goon LP, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon. :)

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Congratulations Grey, wishing you, your wife and the little one the best.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Congrats, has the kid picked out a lucky ship yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Congrats. Are you going to min-max the kid's stats, or go for a more balanced approach?