Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

dantheman650 posted:

Back in the States now but need to mail some stuff to my wife's family. Mailing from Korea to the US was so cheap and easy - is there any decent option for the reverse? It's insane; we paid like 40 bucks for a massive 20kg box by boat in Korea but here the USPS wants 90 for a little box of snacks. It seems air is the only possibility here. Am I wrong?

Can you locate a Logen Shipping location? They're the shipper we use to send stuff to korea. ilogen.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
The word of the day is gauche.

After being asked to stay on, for now the 4th month, after being "let go" due to an unfavorable evaluation based on lack of patent law knowledge for an English editor position, the HR guy asked me if I knew a native speaker to fill my position. They haven't been able to find someone since they started looking on January 1. So, already awkward.

Here's the kicker. HR guy asked me after my birthday cake break today. Happy Birthday, do you know any bilingual editors with legal experience and low self esteem to replace you?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Haha, Jesus man.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DontAskKant posted:

The word of the day is gauche.

After being asked to stay on, for now the 4th month, after being "let go" due to an unfavorable evaluation based on lack of patent law knowledge for an English editor position, the HR guy asked me if I knew a native speaker to fill my position. They haven't been able to find someone since they started looking on January 1. So, already awkward.

Here's the kicker. HR guy asked me after my birthday cake break today. Happy Birthday, do you know any bilingual editors with legal experience and low self esteem to replace you?

Tell them to go gently caress a rake. Also, happy birthday!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Hello Korea thread guys,

I have a really subjective question and I would like some comments from people that have actually been to Seoul. They really want my daughter there in the summer for at least two months, is at as safe as Japan? She's been there twice, to Tokyo and Osaka and never had any problems, apart from random creepy men hitting on her in the subway and being asked is she would like to be a high-class prostitute.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

guri posted:

Talked about this in chat but might as well post it here too just because it was a funny lucky thing to happen.

Riding my bicycle around the other day I found a bunch of furniture that someone moving out was throwing away. Included In the mess was an upright piano. They had the proper paper for throwing things away and the piano was listed with it all. I put a note on it saying "Please do not throw this away! I will pick up by Wednesday." and left my phone number. Contacted a friend who has a similar piano in his bar and he put me in touch with his friend who helped move that one. Went by the next day and while the city had picked up everything else they left the piano. After some delays by the moving guy and some (understandably annoyed) messages from the owner of the house who just wanted the thing gone I finally got it picked up and moved into my house today for 60k. Not a bad price for a perfectly working upright piano. I've gathered a lot of random furniture and stuff from the street but this is by far my favorite.

Observations --

What a country where you can just put a note on something to claim it and no one takes it. Of course something as heavy as a piano is a special circumstance but someone did call the day I originally said I was going to pick it up to call dibs on it if I couldn't take it.

I am glad I went with my friend's person who is a pianist and owns an instrument shop and thus knew what he was doing. I was quoted 170k by a moving company and that was just one person who would have had no idea what he was doing and I would have also had to help carry it.

I went to the 주민센터 to buy another sticker for throwing it away because I felt bad to waste the original owner's money and wanted a backup plan in case my plan didn't work out; having the city come to pick up/throw away an upright piano is 15k and a grand piano is 22k. Both prices seem very cheap for such pains in the rear end.

edit: not my story obviously

You can get scammed, pickpocketed, or run over by a car anywhere, but seoul is safer than any US city I've lived in.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

My more X rich friends tend to tell me the Seoul/Korea is safe thing is mostly true for men, for women it can be a bit dicier. It is safer in some ways and more dangerous in others, but also depends largely on where you are as with the US in general and specifically any major city in the US or world wide. I've heard awful stories from multiple people about Yeokgok from men and women, Suwon has its stories.

Generally, treat it like most any major city and follow the general rules of safety. It's not some magical safe space, it's a city with humans, some are great and some are lovely.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It's safer for men like anywhere in the world, yeah. Girls I know who've lived in the US and elsewhere do consider Korea dramatically safer though. Crime rates are about on par with Japan all around I believe.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Safer south of the river. Also safer then any city in NA.

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

I think Yeongdeungpo is statistically the most dangerous area and it's south of the river.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I haven't been here for terribly long, but I still feel more safe in Seoul than anywhere in the US.

Walking around at night as a male, I sometimes feel that people are more scared of me than I could ever be of them.

I've asked a few of my foreign female classmates, and they agreed that Korea feels more safe than their respective countries. They're French, and German, respectively.

theravenpope fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 7, 2016

nullscan
May 28, 2004

I was stabbed once in Waikiki when I was a little drunk and went down the wrong alley.

I've been obliterated in Seoul and had to walk 5 miles home through every sketch alley imaginable multiple times and was fine.

There has been a rise of stories in the HBC / Itaewon area of weird dudes following single women around at night and flashing them though.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
How would you compare Seoul to major European cities, like Paris, London and Milan in terms of safety and environment?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

OhYeah posted:

Hello Korea thread guys,

I have a really subjective question and I would like some comments from people that have actually been to Seoul. They really want my daughter there in the summer for at least two months, is at as safe as Japan? She's been there twice, to Tokyo and Osaka and never had any problems, apart from random creepy men hitting on her in the subway and being asked is she would like to be a high-class prostitute.

Is this a troll?

Who is "they"?

"Some people that have actually been to Seoul..." you do realize it's nigh-near impossible for anyone to go to Korea and not hit Seoul at some point, right?

Your daughter will experience the same issues she did in Japan, I guess. She'll be safe and fine. If some douche hits on her, whatever.

Paris, London, and Milan are perfectly safe if you're not a moron. Seoul is probably safer.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

Is this a troll?

Who is "they"?

"Some people that have actually been to Seoul..." you do realize it's nigh-near impossible for anyone to go to Korea and not hit Seoul at some point, right?

Your daughter will experience the same issues she did in Japan, I guess. She'll be safe and fine. If some douche hits on her, whatever.

Paris, London, and Milan are perfectly safe if you're not a moron. Seoul is probably safer.

chill guys I got this.

I have extensive knowledge of Europe, as I've seen many documentaries about those cities as well as cursory knowledge of the hit film series Taken. Compared to that, Seoul is pretty darn safe.

bringmyfishback, I'm going to ascertain he means inlaws? That or his daughter is joining the next JYP sex troupe.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Is this a troll?

Who is "they"?

"They" is an agency that is interested in her. I have no doubt that Paris and Milan generally safe, having been there myself, but there are certainly some areas you should avoid at certain times if you don't want to get into trouble.

How is the environment? I know that are some pretty badly polluted cities in China for example, but Tokyo for me seemed very reasonable for such a big city.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

City clean, air sometimes bad.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

My dog is making sure all the street trash is eaten. It's an unending battle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seoul is Tokyo's insecure younger brother who never learned how to clean up his room because he's too busy drinking lighter fluid. It's fine, relax.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

With such innovative trash disposal methods such as 'Pile all the poo poo up on the street, don't buy the actual city waste bags so it wont get picked up, let street dogs and cats and wild adjummas pick through it for sustenance/recyclables, then finally scoop the remnants into a truck a month later' how could we not be the cleanest city in Asia?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Milan is anything but safe compared to the places you list. It's super sketchy as gently caress and a lot of pick pocketing and mugging. Or Roma/Africans scamming tourists.

Even then that's mostly in the tourist city centre. Downtown Seoul has none of that. But when it comes to labor laws and enforcement of contracts I can't give you assurances

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Seoul is safer than the European cities you mentioned.

It's still the real world so danger exists, but you'd be hard pressed to find a safer large city that isn't Tokyo.

Pollution wise it sometimes has some smog but nothing remotely approaching what you find in China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Creepy dudes are the only real danger but that's going to be exactly the same as Tokyo.

Edit: And cars.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 8, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRerwXWTRjM

everyone's scared of foreign places. It's not like going to USA means I will immediately get shot and robbed by black people even though that's the stereotype

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

caberham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRerwXWTRjM

everyone's scared of foreign places. It's not like going to USA means I will immediately get shot and robbed by black people even though that's the stereotype

This is true, I have been to the US several times as a tourist, and I have not been shot or robbed by either black people nor the police. With regards to safety in Seoul, I actually feel safer there than I do in my tiny home town of 20k people, but mostly because Norwegians like to fight when we get drunk in public places. Tokyo and Seoul (Korea in general) are probably the safest places I've ever been. Now don't get me started on interrailing in eastern Europe, because that is not safe.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Kosh Naranek posted:

This is true, I have been to the US several times as a tourist, and I have not been shot or robbed by either black people nor the police. With regards to safety in Seoul, I actually feel safer there than I do in my tiny home town of 20k people, but mostly because Norwegians like to fight when we get drunk in public places. Tokyo and Seoul (Korea in general) are probably the safest places I've ever been. Now don't get me started on interrailing in eastern Europe, because that is not safe.

As an Eastern European I take offense at your suggestion that... hahahaha sorry I couldn't finish the sentence.

Seriously it's not bad, don't be stupid and you'll be fine anywhere in EE. Thanks for all the comments on Seoul.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Oh god you're really an extra from the movie Taken? Then yeah, Seoul will be Agartha.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm getting conflicting reports on ability to send beef jerky into Korea. Experiences?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

dantheman650 posted:

I'm getting conflicting reports on ability to send beef jerky into Korea. Experiences?

I've had no problems, but I only got four bags at a time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Theoretically it's not allowed, it's in the box of forbidden items at airport customs. I've carried it in fine but never tried mailing.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Kosh Naranek posted:

This is true, I have been to the US several times as a tourist, and I have not been shot or robbed by either black people nor the police.

White people however....

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Aqi of 161 right now. I dont think ill make it out alive. Tell my legos and katanas i loved them /dies

guri
Jun 14, 2001

dantheman650 posted:

My parents used to include a bag with whatever packages but the last time they did it got caught and removed from the package. Seems to just be down to luck. I didn't even realize it wasn't allowed until that last time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I got a free bag of chicken jerky with some delivery fried chicken a few weeks ago. It was pretty bad.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Who was the big Korean history buff goon? I'd like to read more about the colonial period, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

cryptoclastic posted:

Who was the big Korean history buff goon? I'd like to read more about the colonial period, but don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
Eh forgot his SA name but he's around in Kakao chat.

Also quoting him from Kakao chat.

quote:

Colonial is Zzzzzzzxzx

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

THE LUMMOX

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Ah yes that's his SA name. Anyways colonial history of Korea is boring event-wise. Japan overtook governance of Korea through traitorous pact and ruled Korea for 35 years until 15th August 1945 (basically when Japan surrendered unconditionally), and during that time period there were freedom fighters (some working for USSR, some staying in USA or China) and freedom march as well as slave labour and human experiment.

Basically from Korea's perspective it was disgraceful 35 years when Korea didn't have any power nor was recognized as a nation due to being under Japanese rule. Afaik USA and Japan made a pact to leave Philippines under US rule while Japan did things in Asia.

I'd look at post independence Korea from 1945 onwards. Much chaos to be had. Chung-Hee Park is an interesting person to read about, as he was a Japanese officer in Manchuria who later became president and set the cornerstone of Korea through ruthless dictatorship.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 15, 2016

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm aware that there's not much going on there, but I'd still be interested to know a bit more than just the basics. I guess I'll just keep on with the book I have.

I have a book on Park lined up next, so I'll get to that sometime soon. Is there anything in particular that is recommended reading about him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

AmbientParadox posted:

I'm not an expert, but it looks like a B2 visa may be what you want

Excuse the thai stuff, but it gives some info on a case similar to yours and to what the B2 is.
http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/us-visa-immigration/a-us-tourist-visa-for-thai-girlfriend.html

Broad information
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

Specific information
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/VisaFlyer_B1B2%20March%202015.pdf

Good luck!

Thanks, this was actually super helpful.

bringmyfishback posted:

If you're going to Michigan, can't you guys just go to Toronto for a weekend or something and then come back? Not sarcastic.

Sadly no :/ that was my first idea too.

E_P posted:

Is she bringing her child?

No, but she helped prove "strong ties" to Korea so that was cool.

Jeoh posted:

Just apply for a B-2 visa. Extend it if needed.

This is what worked, and even though it was a bigger pain in the rear end than Korean immigration it still wasn't too bad.