Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Don't think I've heard of this one, what was it?

the usual story is that what is traditionally translated as "virgin" when speaking of Mary actually meant a young or unmarried woman. Everybody knows this to be true now because it was in Guy Ritchie's Snatch.

1320 – The Scots reaffirm their independence by signing the Declaration of Arbroath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

The immaculate conception was Mary being born free of sin, the idea she had a virgin birth is a mistranslation of I think the greek text via the bulgars?
The bulgars were also accused of a number of things from which we get the word buggary, so maybe they believed she had some creative solutions to staying a virgin while married.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oberleutnant posted:

the usual story is that what is traditionally translated as "virgin" when speaking of Mary actually meant a young or unmarried woman. Everybody knows this to be true now because it was in Guy Ritchie's Snatch.

1320 – The Scots reaffirm their independence by signing the Declaration of Arbroath.

the arguments for the virgin birth aren't in the bible, it just appeared in everyones heads in early christianity and a free miracle is p much the best thing a new religion can ask for.

Guavanaut posted:

The bulgars were also accused of a number of things from which we get the word buggary, so maybe they believed she had some creative solutions to staying a virgin while married.

wasn't it the Bulgars love of the bishop of Porto that gave us the Cadaver Synod too?

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008
Jess Phillips has been spraying her verbal diarrhoea cannon around again. Although this time, she's actually pointing it at the Tories for a change!

quote:

David Cameron pays his taxes. What does he want, a round of applause? Tory MPs in defence of their premier last night took to Twitter to almost congratulate a man for saying he pays tax. What a guy, what a hero.

Am I missing something? Applauding such mediocrity seems unusual. Are we now to expect celebrations because he can tie his shoe laces or that he can grow hair. He's not a toddler, he's the sodding Prime Minister. Later I shall take to the streets of Yardley and hand out gold star stickers to all the people in the local Tesco, "well done Barbara, lovely tax-paying you did there while buying that curling iron, you really are a very good girl."

So David Cameron's dad didn't pay his fair share of taxes. The sins of Cameron's dad are not his fault. True, but the Government are no strangers to damning the children of people who they think aren't doing their bit for society. Barnardo's, the Child Poverty Action Group and many others have all said that the Conservative Welfare and Work Bill will make poor children poorer. Policies such as only paying tax credits to the first two children in a family directly penalise children for the decisions of their parents. So in Tory Britain poor kids are paying the price for the actions of their parents but David Cameron doesn't have to?

The Tories want taxpayers to hate people on benefits and be annoyed that we are paying for their lifestyle, I think it was IDS referred to as, "a direction which divides society". To use the words of the Prime Minister, 'let me clear': The sins of Daddy Cameron were not illegal but they are utterly disgusting. They are worse than the sins of fathers up and down the country who can't find work, even the most feckless amongst them.

People who don't pay their taxes are robbing from us all. The Camerons may well have forked out for education and health services, but it was my money that trained the doctors, nurses and teachers they used. Without the taxpayer the posh who jump the queue would just be sitting in a rather nicely decorated room without the staff to actually deliver the service. Every time Cameron Snr drove his car on a public highway, every time he could see on the street because of a streetlight, every day when there was a pavement outside his house and a regular bin collection, he took money from you, the nation's honest taxpayers, without seeing fit to put his hand in his pocket. And while the Camerons had a bob or two I doubt very much they funded their own private police force and army. I mean the Eton set are a bit old fashioned but think the acts of livery and maintenance is a step to far even for them. So they got the security we all enjoy but it was you footing the bill, not daddy darling.

What makes it worse is that they got the best of everything while you paid the tab. They reaped the benefits of your hard toil, and because they had money to spare they got the best education, smaller class sizes, better service. Their kids got privilege that you paid for but never benefited from.

So David Cameron doesn't need our praise for paying his tax. He's not a very clever boy, he's a very average boy who used privilege rather than brains to get where he got. Perhaps we could all buy our babies a better life if only we weren't burdened with being decent human beings.

:drat:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jess-phillips/david-cameron-taxes_b_9622288.html

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/04/gove-tops-our-future-tory-leader-survey-for-the-first-time.html

quote:

This month, we have a new frontrunner in our adjusted survey:

Michael Gove

:stare:

What do they see in him? Is this just a sign of how hosed the party is?

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

wasn't it the Bulgars love of the bishop of Porto that gave us the Cadaver Synod too?
I'm not sure, I think the root cause was that he was accused of building up his own little feudal fiefdoms contrary to church law (and worse still, in the spirit of current events, getting caught). Bulgaria was involved though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

this is bad for corbyn

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Conservatives like michael gove because he pisses off unions and they aren't themselves competent enough to realise that a bad journalist who gets locked in bathrooms is a farce of a human let alone leader.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Spangly A posted:

The immaculate conception was Mary being born free of sin, the idea she had a virgin birth is a mistranslation of I think the greek text via the bulgars?

No, this isn't right - the New Testament text is pretty unambiguous here. The ambiguity comes with the Old Testament texts about the Messiah - where an ambiguous Hebrew word almah 'maiden, young woman' was translated in the Septuagint (the Greek Old Testament) as the unambiguous word parthenos 'virgin'. Since the Greek version was more in use than the Hebrew among early Christians, this naturally affected the composition of the gospels.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The bible. Cool.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Michael Gove is regarded as an intellectual powerhouse of the Conservative party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that like their Northern Powerhouse?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Phoon posted:

our reality is absurd
I fully believe that in 200 years whatever is left of humanity will host a small but vocal population of 'capitalism deniers' who refuse to believe the accepted version of our economic history, on the basis that it's patently ridiculous to suggest that billions of people around the world would put up with such monstrous levels of unabashed fuckery for their entire lives.

Fans posted:

What do they see in him? Is this just a sign of how hosed the party is?
He wears glasses. When Corbyn looks at him disapprovingly over the top of his specs, he can execute a perfect counterstare over the top of his own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but it clashes with the "hyper libertarian free market fundamentalists" bit, like the state surveillance bit does.

They're both definitely both part of the old school regressive paternalism. The surveillance isn't going to be used against peers of the realm and their private affairs (unless expedient to others in power), it's for protecting good citizens against those FeniansIslamists.

I'm not sure either of those necessarily clash if you treat the state as ToryCorp Inc which the current lot seem to be doing. It's not there to run the country it's there to sell all these lovely assets and funnel money into their mates. Obviously there's nothing wrong with surveillance and banning things to better secure their control over it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Michael Gove is regarded as an intellectual powerhouse of the Conservative party.

I suppose hot air is part of the power generation process.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

He wears glasses. When Corbyn looks at him disapprovingly over the top of his specs, he can execute a perfect counterstare over the top of his own.
I can see that working.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure either of those necessarily clash if you treat the state as ToryCorp Inc which the current lot seem to be doing. It's not there to run the country it's there to sell all these lovely assets and funnel money into their mates. Obviously there's nothing wrong with surveillance and banning things to better secure their control over it.
And therein lies the failure of trying to get to liberty from economic liberalism.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

by the time you reach that point I'm honestly amazed they've got the literacy skills to vote.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How's Gove been doing in Justice, lately? I'd heard that he hasn't been as outrageously awful as Grayling, but I could have missed some stuff.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I read that god is a extra dimensional prisoner of war from when the Titan race opened a door to universe-b resulting in them having to blow up their planet, Marduk, to seal the gateway. A mad sadistic thoughtform that promises eternal torment for the slightest of errors and corrupts its followers into doing its evil bidding. TBH I was only half listening, my RE teacher was terrible.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

In lighter news

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/717680090465832961

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/717679896659681281

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

How's Gove been doing in Justice, lately? I'd heard that he hasn't been as outrageously awful as Grayling, but I could have missed some stuff.

scrapped Graylings outrageous court fees, didn't replace the money, the Bar went (are?) on strike.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

George everyone else was calling it that ages ago

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spangly A posted:

the arguments for the virgin birth aren't in the bible, it just appeared in everyones heads in early christianity and a free miracle is p much the best thing a new religion can ask for.

Ehhhh no, there is something to it. Matthew 1:23 - 'Ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἕξει καὶ τέξεται υἱόν, καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουήλ, ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον Μεθ’ ἡμῶν ὁ Θεός.'

That word 'parthenos' in ancient Greek literally means virgin, but can be used figuratively to mean an unmarried woman. However, Matthew in that verse is actually quoting a bit of the Old Testament where the equivalent word in Hebrew usually means unmarried woman, but can mean virgin. Languages are fun!

Edit: missed that m'learned colleague Mr/Ms Yeast already covered this.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Ehhhh no, there is something to it. Matthew 1:23 - 'Ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἕξει καὶ τέξεται υἱόν, καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουήλ, ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον Μεθ’ ἡμῶν ὁ Θεός.'

That word 'parthenos' in ancient Greek literally means virgin, but can be used figuratively to mean an unmarried woman. However, Matthew in that verse is actually quoting a bit of the Old Testament where the equivalent word in Hebrew usually means unmarried woman, but can mean virgin. Languages are fun!

Edit: missed that m'learned colleague Mr/Ms Yeast already covered this.

what's μεθερμηνευόμενον in the context? the Matthew verse in greek does seem pretty definitive, assuming habits is referring to the clothing of the vestals.

I'm not sure why people think that a discussion of ways we can shout things baselessly until billions of people believe you is irrelevant to the Long Term Economy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/04/the-problem-for-poor-white-kids-is-that-a-part-of-their-culture-has-been-destroyed

In which the Guardian identifies a problem, gets close, but refuses to identify liberalism as the driving core and instead blames a nebulous 'right'.

Also taking a whole sentence to skirt around using the word classism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spangly A posted:

scrapped Graylings outrageous court fees, didn't replace the money, the Bar went (are?) on strike.

Gove is generally incompetent, but unlike the other Tories does not appear to be actively evil.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jedit posted:

Gove is generally incompetent, but unlike the other Tories does not appear to be actively evil.

aside from the war fetish?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
With a chin like that it's not going to be his only fetish now is it.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Spangly A posted:

what's μεθερμηνευόμενον in the context? the Matthew verse in greek does seem pretty definitive, assuming habits is referring to the clothing of the vestals.

Means 'interpreted'. Also gastri means '[in one's] belly/womb', not 'habits' (not sure what's going on with google translate there - but it probably just can't cope with Ancient Greek - that word's in the dative case, which doesn't exist any more).

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 6, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spangly A posted:

'translated' as in 'they will call him Immanuel, which is translated as God-with-us' - that's Matthew translating the Hebrew name from the original prophecy so that Greek-speaking readers can understand it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/04/the-problem-for-poor-white-kids-is-that-a-part-of-their-culture-has-been-destroyed

In which the Guardian identifies a problem, gets close, but refuses to identify liberalism as the driving core and instead blames a nebulous 'right'.

Masonic Paul also has a video up where he's giving the 'left-wing argument for nuclear weapons'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

Masonic Paul also has a video up where he's giving the 'left-wing argument for nuclear weapons'

Does it include using them because its wrong otherwise

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Verizian posted:

With a chin like that it's not going to be his only fetish now is it.

Learning that 'chin' is Japanese slang for penis has made so many English sentences unintentionally hilarious for me.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fans posted:

What do they see in him?

They really like the bit where he spits on the screen and writes his name in it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I was confused for a minute because the page appeared to be blank apart from the header and footer, then I realised CommentBlocker was blocking the entire article. :laugh:

A good plugin working as intended to protect my eyes from internet drivel.

Tesseraction posted:

Learning that 'chin' is Japanese slang for penis has made so many English sentences unintentionally hilarious for me.

Readings of Three Little Pigs must have you in stitches.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 6, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jedit posted:

The word is Malignantly Idiotic.

You know what also isnt evil, but kills you horribly and slowly? Cancer.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Renaissance Robot posted:

Readings of Three Little Pigs must have you in stitches.

Or a Chinese phone book.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YTJMSiaG10

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Green's party broadcast is pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2dNEQiHUUo

Little Teresa is scarily accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm not sure you can end an ad with "The other parties are very childish, we're the serious lot who's above petty name calling" when you just made a political ad where you cast all your opponents as children.

• Locked thread