Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Allen Wren posted:

It's springloaded, so it's pressed against the record like it's the peeling blade on one of those machines that skins and cores an apple for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1Rm3Y7MEs

Seeing that apple peeler is making me cringe imagining what an upright turntable could do to a record, even if it doesn't. Imagine the table getting bumped a little bit while it plays, or an earthquake or controlled demolition nearby.

Anyway, I just heard about this album today and as soon as I gave it a listen on YouTube I bought the limited edition crystal clear reissue immediately:

The reissue also includes two additional tracks per side, including the one from Return of the Living Dead that plays when Trash is stripping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

King Vidiot posted:

The reissue also includes two additional tracks per side, including the one from Return of the Living Dead that plays when Trash is stripping.
Which is the greatest song ever recorded.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

Seeing that apple peeler is making me cringe imagining what an upright turntable could do to a record, even if it doesn't. Imagine the table getting bumped a little bit while it plays, or an earthquake or controlled demolition nearby.

Anyway, I just heard about this album today and as soon as I gave it a listen on YouTube I bought the limited edition crystal clear reissue immediately:

Where did you buy this?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

Where did you buy this?

Oh, should've made the link more obvious, sorry. It's at Two Headed Dog. Click on the album cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Oh, should've made the link more obvious, sorry. It's at Two Headed Dog. Click on the album cover.

Thanks.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Just picked up The Money Store by Death Grips
On vinyl
Imma listen to the poo poo out of it

Happy birthday to me

fishception fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 2, 2016

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bootlegs, son

For the record, I own this and would not advise buying it. It's literally thirty seconds per track complete with fade-in and fade-out. It's like putting the first game's soundtrack on rapid shuffle.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Black Mountain does not disappoint.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Where should I go for used vinyl in NYC? Particularly for roots rock/Americana type poo poo probably.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Newbury Comics online and in store has everything for 30% off fyi

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

stupid puma posted:

Where should I go for used vinyl in NYC? Particularly for roots rock/Americana type poo poo probably.

There are a ton of shops in Brooklyn.

Edit: A few I liked on my visit

Academy Records
Human Head
Fifth Ave Records and Tapes
A1
And there's this one by NYU that had a huge/messy selection (hope you like digging) but I can't recall the name

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2016

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Gravel Gravy posted:

And there's this one by NYU that had a huge/messy selection (hope you like digging) but I can't recall the name

You might be talking about Bleecker Bob's, which has closed. :(

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Monday_ posted:

The Thing?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Monday_ posted:

Oh no it is this one

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rebel-rebel-records-new-york?osq=record+store

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Human Head is pretty good. I've only been to the Academy Records in Greenpoint but you can have fun in the just-in bins there. Some stuff is a little overpriced though.

Rough Trade in Williamsburg is basically a tourist trap.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Any other Australians in here? Thinking of selling a fair chunk of my collection so I can get over to Outside Lands in San Francisco in August/stop drowning in crushing debt. Is it kosher to chuck things up for sale in here?

Could sell to the US/overseas as well - postage would be bloody murder, but the Australian dollar is terrible so you might get a good deal!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Any other Australians in here? Thinking of selling a fair chunk of my collection so I can get over to Outside Lands in San Francisco in August/stop drowning in crushing debt. Is it kosher to chuck things up for sale in here?

Could sell to the US/overseas as well - postage would be bloody murder, but the Australian dollar is terrible so you might get a good deal!

I'd take a look. I'm in Aus

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm just going shelf by shelf at the moment. Everything's in good/played condition, if there's any real bad cover marks I'll make note

Andrew WK - I Get Wet 10th Anniversary - 2x LPs, white vinyl, scuff marks on bottom of jacket
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3843436?ev=rb

Arcade Fire - Funeral, few scuff marks on bottom of jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Arcade-Fire-Funeral/release/409021

Big Blak - Once You Go Blak, gently caress knows, got this at a flea market so you can have this for free with anything else?
https://www.discogs.com/Baby-Blak-Once-You-Go-Blak/release/1640604

Beach House - Bloom, few scuff marks at bottom etc
https://www.discogs.com/Beach-House-Bloom/release/3599039

Bloc Party - Four, few scuff marks at bottom, seam split (about 8cm?) on inner jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Bloc-Party-Four/release/3831299

Cerebral Ballzy - s/t, few scuff marks at bottom, seam split (about 4cm?) on inner jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Cerebral-Ballzy-Cerebral-Ballzy/release/3051889

Daft Punk - R.A.M, pretty much mint aside from a few scuff marks on the bottom of the jacket
https://www.discogs.com/Daft-Punk-Random-Access-Memories/release/4570366

Death Grips - Exmilitary (BOOTLEG, babby's first), pretty much mint
https://www.discogs.com/Death-Grips-Exmilitary/release/6420788

Degreaser - Bottom Feeder (hella good and on Brisbane's best now defunct label), pretty mint
https://www.discogs.com/Degreaser-Bottom-Feeder/release/3268025

Eagulls - s/t, pretty mint condition
https://www.discogs.com/Eagulls-Eagulls/release/5564366

Various - Ennio Morricone Remixes Volume 1, average condition
https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Remixes-Volume-1/release/194956

I'll probably annoy the thread more if there's actual interest in some of the bullshit I've got but honestly take a look at the discogs pages and make an offer, can always send through detailed pictures of any scuffs/damage to jackets etc. as far as I know they all play fine (no download codes either), but I've been without a record player for the last six months.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Human Head is pretty good. I've only been to the Academy Records in Greenpoint but you can have fun in the just-in bins there. Some stuff is a little overpriced though.

Rough Trade in Williamsburg is basically a tourist trap.

Eh, Rough Trade is fine for what it is, new records (and music books) at MSRP and not a penny less. Biggest selection of new vinyl in the city for sure, and generally ends up being cheaper than buying new records online once you factor in shipping.

Also nthing Human Head, I've put a pause on record buying for a while (need new shelves!) but I still stop in there every month or so and usually end up walking away with a cheap-bin find or two.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What do you want for Andrew WK?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Probably around $70AU + shipping going by discogs? whereabouts are you so I can do a proper postage cost / PM me if it's better to not poo poo up the thread with it.

bowmore posted:

What do you want for Andrew WK?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

I, Butthole posted:

Probably around $70AU + shipping going by discogs? whereabouts are you so I can do a proper postage cost / PM me if it's better to not poo poo up the thread with it.
Yeah honestly if you have a bunch of stuff to sell, I'd suggest posting a thread in SA-Mart and then linking it here.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Guess I should have bought that Andrew WK release back when I thought $30 was too much for it. Man I hate the market on new vinyl.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Guess I should have bought that Andrew WK release back when I thought $30 was too much for it. Man I hate the market on new vinyl.

Isn't 70 AUS bucks pretty close to 30 USD?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Isn't 70 AUS bucks pretty close to 30 USD?

$52.88 US per google.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

$52.88 US per google.

Better than 70!

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i'll buy it for 14.88

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Hey, if any of you are at the CHIRP record fair, we're the group of nerds in The Nest 3D printing 45 RPM adapters. Come say hi!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Took a double take at the dirt mall today

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Under a Spanish Mom?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is this thread hipster enough to handle our cassette purchases? Because I have hipstery cassette purchases to show off.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Is this thread hipster enough to handle our cassette purchases? Because I have hipstery cassette purchases to show off.

Might as well, it's not like there will ever be a tape thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ballz posted:

Tapes aren't really a 'hipster' medium unless you think scumfuck noise dudes and black metal guys are hipsters

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Boinks posted:

Took a double take at the dirt mall today

:eyepop: wanna visit that mall

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

Tapes aren't really a 'hipster' medium unless you think scumfuck noise dudes and black metal guys are hipsters

I think at this point tapes are way more hipster than records.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A human heart posted:

Tons of niche genres have been outputting to tape for the last bunch of years.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
After wanting to get a turntable for probably a decade I finally got one today. Mostly this was spurred on by getting into making music and thus listening to more music, but also a local music store tweeted about having vinyl and I went and checked it out (advertising works!).

I also picked up a few records at the store:
Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle
The Human League - DARE!
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (are made of this)
Top Gun Soundtrack
Sounds of Nature 7 - Prairie Spring
The Norman Luboff Choir - Songs of the Sea

Those last two are silly, but they were only $1 each and are actually pretty good. The nature album has some pretty great sounds that are ripe for sampling. The choir album has good versions of a couple traditional songs (particularly Shenandoah), plus I sing bass in a choir and it's nice to hear choirs with excellent bass singers.

As a bonus the big annual local record sale is happening tomorrow, so I'll probably pick up a ton more stuff there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have a hand me down Radio Shack LAB-220 (I believe, IIRC) and I have to fiddle with the needle to get sound and/or stereo sound most times when I set out to play an album. Once it gets going it's all set though. Am I looking to replace the needle, the cartridge, or the whole headset?

That being said too, with whatever I have to replace, what should I be looking at to make sure I get the right compatibility for my model?

Thanks in advance!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I have a hand me down Radio Shack LAB-220 (I believe, IIRC) and I have to fiddle with the needle to get sound and/or stereo sound most times when I set out to play an album. Once it gets going it's all set though. Am I looking to replace the needle, the cartridge, or the whole headset?

That being said too, with whatever I have to replace, what should I be looking at to make sure I get the right compatibility for my model?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try reseating the wires going into the cartridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

NOTE: Please be aware that due the nature of this exciting vinyl effect, there is a chance some areas of the record may incur a slight loss in sound quality.

And yet, I'm such a goddamn magpie that it's shiny enough to tempt me.