Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Pissing me off: Missing a probably easy config

It's been a while since I've dealt with configuring switches. My last resort is to run this by our VAR but I want to see if I can get this sorted out. We're getting a second location and it will be connected by a level3 EVPL. At the new office we're putting in place an HP Procurv 2920-48G with the following config:

hostname "HP-2920-48G-POE+"
module 1 type j9729a
trunk 1 trk1 trunk
oobm
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no untagged 2-48
untagged A1-A2,B1-B2,Trk1
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit
vlan 8
name "VoIP-7050"
tagged 8-48,Trk1
ip address 10.20.33.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.20.32.36
voice
exit
vlan 10
name "PCs-7050"
untagged 8-48
tagged Trk1
ip address 10.30.2.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.20.1.19
exit
vlan 11
name "Utility-7050"
untagged 2-7
tagged Trk1
ip address 10.20.2.1 255.255.255.0
exit
vlan 150
name "EVPL"
ip address 10.150.1.2 255.255.255.0
exit
spanning-tree Trk1 priority 4
no tftp server
no autorun
no dhcp config-file-update
no dhcp image-file-update
password manager

We have VLANS at the main office that have the same function as the ones here and we will be passing DHCP to the phone and PC VLAN from the main office as well. I know we will need to setup the VLANs stated here in our core router at the main office, but my hangup is will we need static routes in this switch to direct vlan traffic between the two sites correctly? VLAN 150 is for the EVPL to the interface on our core router, which will have an IP of 10.150.1.1.

Couple of things.

You don't need a route in an EVPL setup, treat it like an ethernet link between the two sites. Its a layer 2 service, there's no reason to have an IP on the EVPL vlan.
Whatever port your EVPL handoff is to level3 just tag your vlans on that port, make sure the switch on the other side has the same vlans/tags configured and those connect through to your router(s) for those vlans
Your switch is a 48 port switch with space for 4 gbics, right? Plug a gbic in port 49, tag all your vlans on port 49, plug the level 3 ethernet handoff into port 49. Done.
Please give your switch a static IP address. DHCP addressing network equipment makes me cry.
What's the point of Trk1? Do you have multiple handoffs to Level3? Do you have other switches you want to aggregate uplinks to? If the answer is no to those things, you don't need Trk1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Collateral Damage posted:

Our building has a recycling room with different bins for paper, cardboard, glass, metal, plastic, electronics, etc. There's also a "misc" bin for stuff that doesn't go anywhere else, which I assume gets shredded and fractioned.

For large amounts of electronic junk I'll call a recycling firm who will deliver a cage on wheels which we can fill with junk and have them take away once it's full. Costs a few hundred bucks, but it beats having to haul 30 old servers to the garbage dump yourself.

This is what we do twice a year. They come by, drop off pallets, we stack poo poo on the pallets, they come and make it all go away.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

DigitalMocking posted:

Couple of things.

You don't need a route in an EVPL setup, treat it like an ethernet link between the two sites. Its a layer 2 service, there's no reason to have an IP on the EVPL vlan.
Whatever port your EVPL handoff is to level3 just tag your vlans on that port, make sure the switch on the other side has the same vlans/tags configured and those connect through to your router(s) for those vlans
Your switch is a 48 port switch with space for 4 gbics, right? Plug a gbic in port 49, tag all your vlans on port 49, plug the level 3 ethernet handoff into port 49. Done.
Please give your switch a static IP address. DHCP addressing network equipment makes me cry.
What's the point of Trk1? Do you have multiple handoffs to Level3? Do you have other switches you want to aggregate uplinks to? If the answer is no to those things, you don't need Trk1.

Trying to address these in order.

1. You're saying I should remove the EVPL vlan, it being unnecessary?

2. So I should be using the same VLAN IDs on both ends? Do the networks needs to be the same, or can we use a different subnet? We had wanted to use new DHCP scopes for the phones/PCs at the new office, and DHCP is being served from a Windows DC at the main site. Will this cause issues with that? Everything else you're saying makes sense, but DHCP scopes in a situation like this always confuse me.

The core router at the main office is where the other end of the EVPL will terminate, and that router handles the existing VLAN routing. We will be setting up a new interface for it on there.

3. The switch is 48-ports with 45-48 being dual personality. We don't have a gbic on hand, we were just going to use port 1.

4. The building and circuit are not live yet so the switch is still on my desk in a half-configured state. Don't worry, I'm not crazy enough to do DHCP switch addressing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Super Slash posted:

I may convert the server room into a museum where people can marvel at our vast array of useless European power connectors, pristine condition!

Pretty much everyone I've spoken to isn't interested in taking a bunch of plastic crappy crap (eg. monitor stand, plastic clips), metal could be possible but most scrappers want cars or big stuff, not a box of desk clamps.

I'd just stash it somewhere in an IT storage area for vague "future usefulness" and make a calendar entry to throw that poo poo away in a couple of months when they've forgotten about it. I think your finance manager was just looking for an excuse to order you around for not immediately kowtowing to their whims.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So in addition to the BS sharepoint duties that it looks like are coming, and the latest stupid job title, I'm getting a triple whammy of a short schedule change. For the entire time I've worked here I've come in 10 minutes early to leave 10 minutes early. Otherwise I have to wait 15 minutes for the next bus and I get home 30 minutes later. From day one I've told my boss this and he said it was OK. Except now suddenly it isnt. There have been "complaints". Literally every other department has someone who does this. The complaints I'm guessing are from my boss and only from my boss. Who also comes in 15 minutes later than I do by his bus in the morning. So basically it's OK for him to come in late and follow his bus schedule but I dont get the same perk.

It's a little petty thing but it just absolutely infuriates me. I'm basically out 2.5 hours a week now by sitting around waiting for my bus. I cant wait to get out of here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Had a boss that was a major hoarder and refused to let us throw out unused hardware. We had entire cabinets full of odd sized screws and bits of metal used to adapt rails to a rack. Sooooo many IDE cables long after everything was SATA. Boxes and boxes of power cords too.

Eventually he moved on and since we never made it a goal to clean up, we've just slowly been whittling it down as opportunity comes up.

I did save some artifacts from the mess though.. an old backup tape labeled as a release of X11R5 for Solaris. And one of those gridded mouse pads the old sun laser mice used.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

stubblyhead posted:

wasn't there someone posting about a similar situation a couple months ago? I feel like it was an Epson, though deep down I know only HP could be capable of such boneheadedness.

This one is a Cannon, but I've had the same issue with a Savin.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

Had a boss that was a major hoarder and refused to let us throw out unused hardware. We had entire cabinets full of odd sized screws and bits of metal used to adapt rails to a rack. Sooooo many IDE cables long after everything was SATA. Boxes and boxes of power cords too.

Eventually he moved on and since we never made it a goal to clean up, we've just slowly been whittling it down as opportunity comes up.

I did save some artifacts from the mess though.. an old backup tape labeled as a release of X11R5 for Solaris. And one of those gridded mouse pads the old sun laser mice used.

Hoarder boss?

(those are 'new' refurbished PC's he got a 'great deal on' and were waiting to be deployed to users)

We had an entire mezzanine of old PC's. Mostly Gateways. I wanted to build a 486DX2/66MHz to take home but never bothered to.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bob Morales posted:

Hoarder boss?

(those are 'new' refurbished PC's he got a 'great deal on' and were waiting to be deployed to users)

We had an entire mezzanine of old PC's. Mostly Gateways. I wanted to build a 486DX2/66MHz to take home but never bothered to.

You should wire them all up and set up a beowulf cluster. Then rent time on your new kinda super computer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, a mediocre computer at least.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Hoarder boss?

I suggest you rack them and make a remote desktop farm.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Hoarder boss?

For some reason I still have a soft spot for Pentium III. It was an exciting time for x86 architecture and the zenith of Intel marketing as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RFC2324 posted:

You should wire them all up and set up a beowulf cluster. Then rent time on your new kinda super computer.

AMD X4 supar clustar

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Monday I had a new user who didn't last more than an hour. Person was about 23-25 and had never used a mouse or keyboard. Said they were too confusing and they demanded an iPad to do their work. Left screaming about suing us for discrimination. For what it's worth they were a white male so good luck with that one buddy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bob Morales posted:

"Are you sure about that? We can get to all of our data? And get any report we want?"

Uhh....yeah.

"Well, I guess I'm going to have to tell that to CEO."

I also got called "Dr. No" :lol:

If CEO throws a fit, always ALWAYS frame it in a way that sounds like it's saving money:

"We have this tool/report that costs <x> and can be internally setup and maintained, but you asked to do <y> for more money and consult <idiot> to maintain it for a consulting fee, driving the price up to <amount> with no guarantee of proper support"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Monday I had a new user who didn't last more than an hour. Person was about 23-25 and had never used a mouse or keyboard. Said they were too confusing and they demanded an iPad to do their work. Left screaming about suing us for discrimination. For what it's worth they were a white male so good luck with that one buddy.

I want whatever drugs he was on, maybe half the amount though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I wasn't sold until I saw the Gateway.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pixaal posted:

That's impressive, can you actually get through school not using a computer for any assignment now? Or is that just being self entitled?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pixaal posted:

What the poo poo? How do you live from 1994 to today without using a keyboard and mouse?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone 23 today would have graduated high school in 2011, and the first iPad launched in 2010. That kid spent most of his school years without any kind of touchscreen device so the assertion that they have never used a mouse has to be false. I'm guessing there was a bit of hyperbole involved with their complaints about the working conditions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Someone 23 today would have graduated high school in 2011, and the first iPad launched in 2010.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I remember this, it had handwriting analysis and everything. My university was partnered with MS in some way and our school ACM chapter got an early peek at one. One girl wrote her name, and it was interpreted to be Marijuana Singletons.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Naramyth posted:

This one is a Cannon, but I've had the same issue with a Savin.

Found it, and it was an HP!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571852&pagenumber=604&perpage=40#post456477266

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Marijuana Singletons.
Sounds like a great name for a reagge band.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

2002? I used to have a tablet from 1994. It had "Pen OS" or something like that (which was really just a rebadged version of MS DOS and Windows 3.1). There was a box quote attributed to Microsoft that it was a "Revolutionary step" in computers.

It was also the absolute worst to use.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
That reminds me of the old Palm Pilots and the shorthand writing gestures you would use to indicate certain words and letters.

It worked really well once you got used to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

That reminds me of the old Palm Pilots and the shorthand writing gestures you would use to indicate certain words and letters.

You had to. The regular handwriting recognition didn't work for dick

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, Graffi7i or whatever it was called

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I got one for Christmas in around 2001 or so. I asked for the Palm IIIe, which my mom got for me at Circuit City or wherever. My sister was with her at the time, and apparently she asked the sales guy if they had the "Palm One One One E."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

None of those early tablets were common in schools however, which was my point. :geno:

Kid has assuredly used a mouse in his lifetime and is just being a whiny rear end in a top hat. Probably destined for sales or upper management actually.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

2002? I used to have a tablet from 1994. It had "Pen OS" or something like that (which was really just a rebadged version of MS DOS and Windows 3.1). There was a box quote attributed to Microsoft that it was a "Revolutionary step" in computers.

It was also the absolute worst to use.

Let me tell you about the mighty GRidPad from way back in 1989...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

None of those early tablets were common in schools however, which was my point. :geno:

Kid has assuredly used a mouse in his lifetime and is just being a whiny rear end in a top hat. Probably destined for sales or upper management actually.

He just got fired from sales / customer service I think he's more going to be pumping gas or flipping burgers. You know McDonald's uses a touch screen.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Trying to address these in order.

1. You're saying I should remove the EVPL vlan, it being unnecessary?

2. So I should be using the same VLAN IDs on both ends? Do the networks needs to be the same, or can we use a different subnet? We had wanted to use new DHCP scopes for the phones/PCs at the new office, and DHCP is being served from a Windows DC at the main site. Will this cause issues with that? Everything else you're saying makes sense, but DHCP scopes in a situation like this always confuse me.

The core router at the main office is where the other end of the EVPL will terminate, and that router handles the existing VLAN routing. We will be setting up a new interface for it on there.

3. The switch is 48-ports with 45-48 being dual personality. We don't have a gbic on hand, we were just going to use port 1.

4. The building and circuit are not live yet so the switch is still on my desk in a half-configured state. Don't worry, I'm not crazy enough to do DHCP switch addressing.

Consider EVPL to basically be a virtual network cable. Everything you would do across a network cable, you do across the EVPL connection. Its an extended layer 2 network port, anything that happens on one end, happens on the other. This is kinda 'bad' for a few reasons in networking, bad is that you're now broadcasting traffic across a WAN connection, broadcast traffic can get chatty and it doesn't respond well to high-latency situations, so you wind up losing expensive WAN bandwidth with a bunch of useless broadcast traffic.

What bandwidth and what's the expected latency of your EVPL connection? Is this a close office or something farther away?

DHCP is a layer 2 protocol, so if you want to use DHCP from your main office across the EVPL you have to 802.1q tag the vlans across to your main office so the windows box can answer DHCP like it currently does. But this goes back to the "kinda bad" explanation from earlier. You can mitigate this by instead using the Procurve at the far end as a Layer 3 device and have all of the routing go through it, then just add a DHCP helper address so only DHCP requests are sent across the EVPL connection instead of every chatty rear end layer 2 protocol out there.

You could mitigate some of the broadcast traffic across the EVPL link by setting up a DHCP helper and using your satellite switch as the router. It looks like that's what you want to do, correct? For example, everything in vlan 10 will get 10.30.2.1 as their gateway?

edit: scratch a lot of this poo poo, you already have a DHCP helper set up.

Just add port one to vlan 150 untagged in the satellite switch, add whatever port in your core to the other side of the EVPL circuit the same way, set the core to use 10.150.1.1, set the default route on the satellite switch to 10.150.1.1 and add routes in the core pointing to 10.30.2.0/24, 10.20.33.0/24 and 10.20.2.0/24 to 10.150.1.2

The DHCP helper should work just fine.

You can test this right now but plugging your satellite switch into your core and simulating the EVPL circuit, since that's what it does, acts like a really LOOOOOOONG network cable.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lampey posted:

If you ship a computer or anything else fragile use the box provided by the manufacturer, or another box designed for shipping computers. We get a lot of laptops sent in half empty boxes with broken screens or cracked bodies.

This was sent to us by a remote user. Like I said, we were gonna scrap it anyway.

In the cases where we care about the computer, I'm pushing to just make people go to a FedEx location and pay for one of the laptop boxes with the foam lining. All of the stuff we send out goes in the box it arrived in once we're done configuring it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fragile just means "kick it harder"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Our technical writer/director of engineering just hosed up a trade show so bad that the CEO is even chewing him out.

Here's a hint fellas: If you are going to a trade show, don't grab the latest build of a untested version of your software, throw it on your demo units, and then fly 2,000 miles across the country with no backups, no older versions, and no laptops.

ESPECIALLY don't call me trying to complain that the code isn't fully functional, and insinuate that it's my fault, and you really REALLY don't want to try that in front of two other engineers who also will call you a dumbass to your face when they learn that you put a untested version on our software from the development server on tradeshow equipment.

God drat son.

Edit*

Even better yet, I asked him if he needed the laptop and if he was sure I didn't need to go (both in email form.) I was not aware he had grabbed a random nightly from the Dev server.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Let me tell you about the mighty GRidPad from way back in 1989...

I vaguely remember those, but never actually used one. Does that one actually use the pen as a mouse instead of having a crazy-rear end driver that required drawing a square around an icon to select it? :v:

E: Wait, 1989. There weren't no icons, not even in glorious 640x480. What was that pen for? Graphing?

Arsten fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 6, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Our technical writer/director of engineering just hosed up a trade show so bad that the CEO is even chewing him out.

Here's a hint fellas: If you are going to a trade show, don't grab the latest build of a untested version of your software, throw it on your demo units, and then fly 2,000 miles across the country with no backups, no older versions, and no laptops.

ESPECIALLY don't call me trying to complain that the code isn't fully functional, and insinuate that it's my fault, and you really REALLY don't want to try that in front of two other engineers who also will call you a dumbass to your face when they learn that you put a untested version on our software from the development server on tradeshow equipment.

God drat son.

Edit*

Even better yet, I asked him if he needed the laptop and if he was sure I didn't need to go (both in email form.) I was not aware he had grabbed a random nightly from the Dev server.

haha that guy is a moron.

But the story reminds me of something that pisses me off. Our software creates a service account on a system when it's installed. Standard fare, gives it certain permissions, etc. One of the rights it gets is the "log on as a service" right, so that we can start our Services using our user and thus control the entire process. Works great.

Except on our own goddamned network. See, our IT guys have put a GPO in place that removes the "log on as a service" right from every account on every machine connected to the domain.

Without this right, our own software can't start its own services and fails.

I've lost track of the number of times we've taken a system to a trade show and when we started it up, this happened. Cue a mad scramble with IT to get some kind of hacky workaround in place. I think they usually just end up removing the system from the domain.

It's a clusterfuck. It's been almost three years now and the GPO is still in place.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not do your demos on non domain joined VMs? Makes it easier to move a demonstration environment between laptops as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you not do your demos on non domain joined VMs? Makes it easier to move a demonstration environment between laptops as well.

You'd think, right? But no. Apparently there is some policy/rule about that too.

There is no technical reason to keep running into this on any level. It's all self-imposed bullshit.

Whatever. I don't even bother anymore. I just direct the frantic guy on the trade show floor to IT. Not poo poo I can do about it.