Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've seen the number thrown around that 20-some states are voting on weed in general (whether RMJ, MMJ, or decrim) in 2016, legislatively or by referendum. Kinda surprised this isn't coming up more in the POTUS election yet. A few of the outlying states like WY and SD have shot down MMJ already for this year, but the number of states with zero cannabis "legal" use (albeit in some states just "clinical trials" of CBD) is down to like 10 states and only some of the US territories. And plenty of individual cities have either decriminalized or pulled the "lowest law enforcement priority" deal.

Looking to be an interesting year. A lot of this would've sounded implausible even five years ago, much less 10. I'm pretty sure if you go back far enough in just this thread there are posters saying there's no way the Feds will let CO run RMJ stores, that they'll be kicking the doors down in every potshop in Breckenridge. Meanwhile, saw a recent article saying that an estimated 70% of the ganja sold in CO is now through legal channels, so they're slowly choking their black market while WA still struggles with large-scale noncompliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

WA still struggles with large-scale noncompliance.

Can you be more specific about his? Genuinely curious.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I've seen the number thrown around that 20-some states are voting on weed in general (whether RMJ, MMJ, or decrim) in 2016, legislatively or by referendum. Kinda surprised this isn't coming up more in the POTUS election yet. A few of the outlying states like WY and SD have shot down MMJ already for this year, but the number of states with zero cannabis "legal" use (albeit in some states just "clinical trials" of CBD) is down to like 10 states and only some of the US territories. And plenty of individual cities have either decriminalized or pulled the "lowest law enforcement priority" deal.

Right now Marijuana is legalized in very isolated pockets of the country. If California and the rest of them pass the full legalization measures, that will change slightly.

Even then though, the legalized states will be predominantly on the West Coast. There's a different set of values in the Northeast which makes the situations incongruous even though they nominally support the same political party. For example, the type of medical marijuana laws passed in California were nowhere to be seen in the Northeast.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

Can you be more specific about his? Genuinely curious.

Please, Tap, but I'll shed a little light as a resident.

The prices at many retail establishments are seemingly outlandish to the seasoned. I personally know people who subscribe to the convenience of having a store you can pop into any time, but for one or two of them, I can cite six others who barely recognize the state's sales as a novelty. The taxes WA put in place are higher than CO's, and when you're smoking as regularly as people drink, you hunt down the cheapest $/gram possible.

If TTFA's 70% statistic is reliable, I'll argue that WA is the inverse of CO: 30% sold through legal channels seems close to reality.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Totally anecdotal, but I feel like a lot of people I know here in CO are definitely leaning more towards dispensaries over their old black market hookups; retail prices are finally starting to come down to realistic levels, and as people's sources dry up they seem to be turning more to dispensaries and not bothering to find new sources.

I'm definitely one of those people.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I live in the middle of nowhere in Colorado and the stores here are at street price + tax more or less, and this is 75 miles off the interstate. If you're along the front range it's cheaper now than it was before legalization. It seems like most people switch when their connect doesn't have any that night or they're asleep or whatever so they go to the store once and then never look back. Whatever small price premium you may pay at the store is vastly outweighed by the selection and convenience.

Washington is obviously going to have problems with compliance when their taxes are prohibitively high and they are sandwiched right in between British Columbia, Oregon and the Emerald Triangle.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Totally anecdotal, but I feel like a lot of people I know here in CO are definitely leaning more towards dispensaries over their old black market hookups; retail prices are finally starting to come down to realistic levels, and as people's sources dry up they seem to be turning more to dispensaries and not bothering to find new sources.

I'm definitely one of those people.

As an Oregon resident who never really had a hook up, I've been very pleased with the experience at the dispensary I've been to since legalization began here. The prices might be a bit high, especially for non-medical recreational users, but having set locations, decent selection, upfront pricing, and some level of standards and accountability seems immensely preferable to dealing with random people who may have good stuff or may have poo poo, and who may be sketchy as hell.

It's a good thing, really, and no different from going to the liquor store. I hope more states get on board.

Looking to be an interesting year. A lot of this would've sounded implausible even five years ago, much less 10. I'm pretty sure if you go back far enough in just this thread there are posters saying there's no way the Feds will let CO run RMJ stores, that they'll be kicking the doors down in every potshop in Breckenridge. Meanwhile, saw a recent article saying that an estimated 70% of the ganja sold in CO is now through legal channels, so they're slowly choking their black market while WA still struggles with large-scale noncompliance.

If the customers at the dispensary I've been to are any indication, marijuana definitely seems like something that is used more by regular people than hippie burnouts and counterculture weirdos. If that's the case, then it's not hard to imagine that tolerated and legalized marijuana has probably been getting a groundswell of support (or noninterference, at least), especially as the experiences in CO, OR, and WA show that the sky hasn't fallen down in those states.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What are the odds looking like for Nevada?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Apparently it's a pretty big issue, since you either need to just retire any drug dog who is sensitized to weed, or "retrain" then to some nebulous standard and stand by for huge lawsuits when some guy gets pinged and searched with one joint of weed and recently-fired murder weapon, and alleges that your dog alerted to his legal weed and violated due process.

This is fascinating, are there any articles about this?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Santa Ana police officers charged with stealing snacks during marijuana dispensary raid

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-ana-officers-charged-marijuana-raid-20160314-story.html

One of them was also charged for vandalism. Guess he thought he was engaged in a good old fashioned drug raid.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

"4/20 blaze it" - RBG, probably

SCOTUS denies Oklahoma and Nebraska lawsuit against Colorado

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

"We'll make Colorado build a WEEEEEEED WWWAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL"

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/dea-marijuana-reschedule_us_5704567de4b0537661881644

DEA to decide in the next few months whether to change marijuana's Schedule 1 status.

Changing marijuana from Schedule 1 to 2 would allow the DEA to look like it is bowing to popular pressure while not changing much substantively (cocaine is Schedule 2, after all) so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Patter Song posted:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/dea-marijuana-reschedule_us_5704567de4b0537661881644

DEA to decide in the next few months whether to change marijuana's Schedule 1 status.

Changing marijuana from Schedule 1 to 2 would allow the DEA to look like it is bowing to popular pressure while not changing much substantively (cocaine is Schedule 2, after all) so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

It might stop NIDA from stonewalling medical cannabis research.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It shouldn't be schedule II. It should at most be schedule III or IV. Marijuana does not belong on the same schedule as coke, meth, or opiates.

Dmitri-9 posted:

It might stop NIDA from stonewalling medical cannabis research.

The only thing preventing research right now is it's scheduling. Schedule 1 drugs by statutory definition have no medical use.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

Schedule 1 drugs by statutory definition have no medical use.
This is the dumbest thing. They have no medical use therefore you can't research into whether they have any medical use. Research science gets frozen in time when they get added.

They put heroin on there, which has been categorically demonstrated to have medical use for over a century, with studies from the 2000s showing clinical benefits over morphine or oxycodone in some situations. But because its on there it would be difficult to replicate those in the US, and thus difficult to get it moved to a schedule II where it belongs.
(e: possibly showing, some comments were raised about how the study was performed, but that's how research is supposed to work, not just throwing it in schedule I and ignoring it forever)

Same with the psychiatric research into LSD, MDMA, or psilocybin, which requires a ton of paperwork or just gets done in other countries.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 6, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

This is the dumbest thing.

The Aristocrats War on Drugs!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If you want recreational marijuana you should not want it scheduled at all.

killertunes
Jun 13, 2012

Tastes like chicken!

Guavanaut posted:

This is the dumbest thing. They have no medical use therefore you can't research into whether they have any medical use. Research science gets frozen in time when they get added.

They put heroin on there, which has been categorically demonstrated to have medical use for over a century, with studies from the 2000s showing clinical benefits over morphine or oxycodone in some situations. But because its on there it would be difficult to replicate those in the US, and thus difficult to get it moved to a schedule II where it belongs.
(e: possibly showing, some comments were raised about how the study was performed, but that's how research is supposed to work, not just throwing it in schedule I and ignoring it forever)

Same with the psychiatric research into LSD, MDMA, or psilocybin, which requires a ton of paperwork or just gets done in other countries.

Yes. No medical use. That's why the U.S. government holds a patent on the antioxidant properties of cannabinoids.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...7&RS=PN/6630507

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

counterpoint: antioxidants are bullshit

killertunes
Jun 13, 2012

Tastes like chicken!
Antioxidants and electrolytes aren't bullshit. It's what plants crave!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

killertunes posted:

Yes. No medical use. That's why the U.S. government holds a patent on the antioxidant properties of cannabinoids.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...7&RS=PN/6630507

There is no logic to it. Marinol, Nabiximols and Epidolex, which are THC, THC + CBD and CBD respectively, are completely acceptable to the DEA and FDA as medicines and schedule 3 drugs but a gram of bud is schedule 1.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Legal marijuana is doomed in Vermont this year. The state senate passed a full legalization bill, but the Vermont House has pretty much entirely rejected that bill. A crucial house committee at first seemed to reject full legalization but was leaning towards more decriminalization, and then it turned out they weren't even down with more decimalization either and by a vote of 6 to 5 only voted to call for the establishment of a marijuana advisory commission that will study legalization.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

objects in mirror posted:

Legal marijuana is doomed in Vermont this year. The state senate passed a full legalization bill, but the Vermont House has pretty much entirely rejected that bill. A crucial house committee at first seemed to reject full legalization but was leaning towards more decriminalization, and then it turned out they weren't even down with more decimalization either and by a vote of 6 to 5 only voted to call for the establishment of a marijuana advisory commission that will study legalization.

Did they give any reasons? I can't imagine tough on crime punishments would go over that well in Vermont.

e: Does it have to do with the pill problem up there?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did they give any reasons? I can't imagine tough on crime punishments would go over that well in Vermont.

e: Does it have to do with the pill problem up there?

That's been one of the weird recurring arguments I've seen in the Vermont reporting: "we have a major problem with people taking a drug that kills them, so it'd be a bad idea to legalize a drug that doesn't kill people."

Falls into the category of the whole "sending the wrong message" argument about weed, which gets into a kind of truistic/recursive "even if weed isn't actually bad, it's bad because it's illegal and if we legalize non-bad illegal things it'll call into question the entire concept of illegality".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

"even if weed isn't actually bad, it's bad because it's illegal and if we legalize non-bad illegal things it'll call into question the entire concept of illegality".

The handwringing kills me. I think most people agree that it's fine that krokodil and heroin remain illegal, and the rest are shades of grey. Bring it to actual debate, let's collectively figure this poo poo out! But the time is long past to cease criminalizing a medical issue.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
The fundamental problem basically remains that partaking of cannabis for recreational purposes, as common as it is, remains culturally taboo in the West. It's not what "respectable" people do. Respectable people instead hit up happy-hour after work and consume alcohol to relief their stress. The people who hold power in the USA overwhelmingly took part in the drug war and were ideologically raised under it. The culture itself has to change (i.e become more accepting of individuals responsibly using cannabis as a recreational aid) before the laws start to change nationally. Meanwhile I always cringe when the only arguments presented for marijuana legalization have to do with the substance's medical utility or the bad drug war externalities, and rarely have to do with the glaring fact that the minuscule harm the drug can cause a few addictive-personality types is outweighed by the overwhelming pleasure and happiness it can bring to the masses. You see legalization advocates try to dodge questions like "would use increase under legalization?" It might, to be honest, and it would be good if it did because cannabis is awesome and more people should have legal and affordable access to it.

objects in mirror fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 12, 2016

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think most people agree that it's fine that... heroin remain illegal

Um what? It's safe enough for children:

quote:

Conclusions There were no safety concerns raised during the conduct of the study. In addition to expected side effects, IND can cause mild nasal irritation in a proportion of patients. http://emj.bmj.com/content/early/2014/01/21/emermed-2013-203226.full

Now that we're on the topic there's a cracker of an article in the latest Journal of Palliative Care:

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/jpm.2016.0079

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 12, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I find the standard of "In a controlled medical environment we had little to no side effects, so we should then allow it to be recreationally used" to be very strange.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

computer parts posted:

I find the standard of "In a controlled medical environment we had little to no side effects, so we should then allow it to be recreationally used" to be very strange.

The key point is that a prohibition situation is the polar opposite of a controlled medical environment. The extension of that point is that a decrim environment is between the two and that moving that direction counter-intuitively reduces harm.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Salt Fish posted:

The key point is that a prohibition situation is the polar opposite of a controlled medical environment. The extension of that point is that a decrim environment is between the two.

Not inherently, no. A decrim environment reduces the risk of being imprisoned, but you still have no recourse if (for example) the drugs you bought were cut with something worse.

Actually, if anything a prohibition environment is an attempt at a controlled environment - the end goal is to regulate drug usage and behavior, just at a society level rather than a specific medical facility.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not sure if TYT links are kosher here, but here's an interesting one confirm what everyone already knows. "Nixon Invented War On Drugs To Attack Black People And Leftists"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYUFJLSOm8

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Anti-drug crusading as a tool of racial oppression in America goes back a lot farther than Richard Nixon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Further than Anslinger too.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

computer parts posted:

Well you have never worked in a medically supervised injecting centre like me.

If people could just walk in, do an orientation and score some pharma grade diamorphine for injection on site everyone would be better off.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 12, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KingEup posted:

Well you have never worked in a medically supervised injecting centre like me.

If people could just walk in, do an orientation and score some pharma grade diamorphine for injection on site everyone would be better off.

And that has what relation to a specially formulated nasal spray as in your link?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

And that has what relation to a specially formulated nasal spray as in your link?

They have the essentially same contents/medicinal value? This is pedantic even for you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nevvy Z posted:

They have the essentially same contents/medicinal value?

They do not.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

They do not.

Then address that instead of pretending you don't know why someone who used to work in a medically supervised diamorphine injection site would have an opinion on a diamorphine nasal spray.

Every now and then I clear my ignore list and you are almost always the first back on it because of dumb poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nevvy Z posted:

Then address that instead of pretending you don't know why someone who used to work in a medically supervised diamorphine injection site would have an opinion on a diamorphine nasal spray.

Every now and then I clear my ignore list and you are almost always the first back on it because of dumb poo poo like this.
I think asking someone why they think something is relevant is always better than assuming that they think it is relevant for a wrong reason. If you think someone is wrong, being prepared to be wrong yourself seems like a good strategy.

• Locked thread