Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hello - there is a new serial fiction podcast coming out from one of the creators of Night Vale. It is more narrative/plot oriented. I am doing the audio production and music. It's called Alice Isn't Dead.

The first episode comes out next week on March 8th, but we just shared a trailer. http://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/alice-isnt-dead-teaser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

internet celebrity posted:

I had pretty high hopes after the suicide scene in the previous episode but yeah it's still kinda just.... i dunno. The voice acting seems to have gotten worse somehow, like they're just rushing it out because now they have an audience. TBH I really just want more Limetown.

Yeah, more Limetown would be great.

I had to force myself to listen to the last 15 minutes of the most recent Black Tapes. Like... I just don't care anymore? The plot is getting way too convoluted and I don't remember who half the characters are (nor am I going to listen to season 1 again) and it just kind of seems to be digging itself deeper into a hole.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Montalvo posted:

Yeah, more Limetown would be great.

I had to force myself to listen to the last 15 minutes of the most recent Black Tapes. Like... I just don't care anymore? The plot is getting way too convoluted and I don't remember who half the characters are (nor am I going to listen to season 1 again) and it just kind of seems to be digging itself deeper into a hole.

I suspect that the problem with Black Tapes, like Tanis, is that they either didn't think the plot fully through before they began, or they have been trying to make it bigger and better as it gained popularity and overcomplicated it. It happens a lot, just look at Lost.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was just about to compare it to Lost. It's a shame. I wonder if the show would have been better if the black tapes investigations were single episode short story like things and the overarching plotline focused narrowly on Dr Strand and his family...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I like what the Black Tapes and TANIS do atmospherically - TANIS straight up makes me afraid of shadows and there's an overarching menace to the Black Tapes with their stories of demonic possession that is very well done.

The problem is that they simply don't hae enough events happening within their episodes. Alex having sleep problems is a perfectly fine subplot but it needs to be paired with a strong mainplot that has more scenes occuring. The characters thinking out loud to themselves or arguing with each other don't count because they don't advance the main story.

If they want to move forward then they need to bring Strand back in for more plot progression.

E: to build a little more, I don't agree their plot is too complicated, I think they're not doing enough to tie everything together and now they're just throwing plotlines out into the ether and then don't do anything with them. Then we just get more of Alex complaining about exhaustion, which pads the episodes.

If the showrunners don't do anything with the plot then the audience must conclude that there isn't one.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 3, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The moment that killed Black Tapes for me is when they got the guy from the No Sleep podcast to do a guest voice. Despite doing at least one story a show, the guy has zero acting chops.

Not to mention he threw a tantrum when people asked for trigger warnings on rapey stories.

Oh jeez, did he really?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Having finished Tanis (for now),I think what gets me about both of the PNW Stories podcasts is that they both have a lot going on and have a nearly The Wire level of not caring if you can follow the various threads or remember who people are. A wiki would help a lot.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I was thinking the same thing listening to the last episode. I couldn't remember anyone's name so a wiki would definitely be helpful.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Having finished Tanis (for now),I think what gets me about both of the PNW Stories podcasts is that they both have a lot going on and have a nearly The Wire level of not caring if you can follow the various threads or remember who people are. A wiki would help a lot.

The wire was written well though. With Tanis, the issue is that Nic finds out one thing about an individual plotline, then he can't find out any more, sorry, check another lead. The story isn't over complex because there are too many interesting characters and possibilities, but because the narrative just leaves something alone for a week or two so it can go "Ohhhhh whooooaaaaaaaa can you believe Nova owns this building in East bumfuck that was mentioned once?"

"Yes. I can believe that Nova owns a bunch of poo poo. How about you focus on Nova for a while because all the answers are there."

"Noooo maaaaan, let's talk for a whole episode about that novel! Aren't you interested in that? "

"Yes, the novel that was run through the hands of Nova's owner, why don't you-"

"Oh whoa man meerkatnip found out that some fuckin' guy mentioned Tanis on a radio show in 1987, let's go on a trip to meet that guy"

The mystery isn't a mystery because there is so much possibility ), the mystery is a mystery because Nic is a lovely journalist and a bad voice actor. Boom.

I want more Limetown so bad, because that protagonist shows Nic how its done.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

head58 posted:

The 2 parts where we're supposed to listen for something on the sleep journal tapes were so heavy with music that I couldn't hear whatever I was supposed to hear.

The moment that really got me was when in her interview with the book collector woman, the music at one point got really loud and kind of gratey sounding for no really discernible reason.

Their sound designer should listen to the interview with Serial's sound designer from last season's Serial Spoiler Special and then do what he does.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
And the constant police radio chatter. It brings me to a whole different place.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey guys

https://twitter.com/zack_akers/status/707244873108332544

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

Hello - there is a new serial fiction podcast coming out from one of the creators of Night Vale. It is more narrative/plot oriented. I am doing the audio production and music. It's called Alice Isn't Dead.

The first episode comes out next week on March 8th, but we just shared a trailer. http://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/alice-isnt-dead-teaser

So I just listened to the first episode of this and loved it. I think the sound of the Thistle Man eating is going to haunt my nightmares. Can't wait for more!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I enjoyed it and the production was on point. I'm going to rework the OP at some point this weekend because I realized it's kinda biased towards alternate reality stuff.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

internet celebrity posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it and the production was on point. I'm going to rework the OP at some point this weekend because I realized it's kinda biased towards alternate reality stuff.

To be fair, I think serialized fiction podcasts are pretty biased towards that at this point. Maybe I've just missed all of them, but most (all?) of the serialized fiction podcasts I can think of are speculative fiction/alternate reality type stuff.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Imo it reflects a hunger for speculative fiction instead of more tv-esque kitchen sink dramas about spouses cheating on each other. Audio cuts down on production costs of a science fiction or fantasy story significantly.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Black Tapes just announced a two month hiatus after barely starting season 2. Gotta wonder to what degree they're just pulling poo poo out of their asses with no actual plan.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

Black Tapes just announced a two month hiatus after barely starting season 2. Gotta wonder to what degree they're just pulling poo poo out of their asses with no actual plan.

That was really confusing. Plus it seems insane that they would start a real-world plot element and then not put an episode out for the date in question.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Their cited reason was that Alex Regan is having health issues. The actress may indeed be having some severe medical problem or there might be something else going on behind the scenes. We're not privy to it because we're part of the creative team.

I hope everyone's okay and that nobody dies because of real life health problems.

Chill out goons, geez.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

HIJK posted:

Their cited reason was that Alex Regan is having health issues. The actress may indeed be having some severe medical problem or there might be something else going on behind the scenes. We're not privy to it because we're part of the creative team.

I hope everyone's okay and that nobody dies because of real life health problems.

Chill out goons, geez.

I mean, I'm not actually giving them flack if there's an actual issue. Their reason seemed to be in-universe, so I reacted to that. I didn't get any indication the actual actors were having any sort of issue.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's always been really interesting, to me at least. Due to the rise of the internet, and free media in general, as consumers, we've been consuming more and more free podcasts, videos, and "Entertaniment" stuff. More small time actors / podcasters have been able to make money, get a piece of popularity, and so feel beholden to their users for that attention. This has caused those people to share more and more of their intimate details with people, creating this weird relationship between the viewer and the host.

You see it a lot with LP'rs, and "actual play" people like Critical Role "Hey guys, let me tell you about my very personal battle with cancer, and how chemo is causing the liquid shits, but don't worry, we're still playing Thursday. It's the only thing I have left in my life." "Hahaha your so silly please continue to provide entertainment."

It's getting more and more prevalent too, it makes me feel old because it creeps me the gently caress out.

This long as gently caress post is to say, yeah I kind of just assumed they needed more time for writing, not like a personal thing they posted about on the internet.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

My thinking is just that the plots of both shows have gotten so complicated and confused (the Tanis season finale introduced a massive continuity fuckup) and that Minnow Beats Whale (Terry Miles) is deep into development on two more podcasts, that they've written themselves into a corner and all of their attentions are being stretched too thin.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I look forward to forgetting the meaningless plot developments of season 2 by the time it resumes.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Montalvo posted:

I look forward to forgetting the meaningless plot developments of season 2 by the time it resumes.

Have there actually been any?

The host is sleepy and the doctor does/does not want help finding his wife.

This season has been so sloppy it's been hard to care about the plot.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe
And we still haven't learned more about the girl with the upside down face, which was probably my favorite Black Tape. When is she going to come back? How was she relevant?

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

nerdpony posted:

And we still haven't learned more about the girl with the upside down face, which was probably my favorite Black Tape. When is she going to come back? How was she relevant?

Because the demon has an upside down face.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Have there actually been any?

The host is sleepy and the doctor does/does not want help finding his wife.

This season has been so sloppy it's been hard to care about the plot.

There was the bit with the baby monitor and some weirdo muttering stuff but who cares

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

God I can't loving wait for Limetown to come back.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Because the demon has an upside down face.

Oh. Yeah. I still wish we had gotten more with that story.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
It feels like one of the pitfalls of Lost. Rather than tell a story they focused on storytelling. That is to say, they are more interested in having a podcast than podcasting well.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

oneof27 posted:

It feels like one of the pitfalls of Lost. Rather than tell a story they focused on storytelling. That is to say, they are more interested in having a podcast than podcasting well.

A million times this. If you decide to make up a story as you go, don't be surprised when the audience gets upset that you've been wasting their time.

That's one thing that really sets Limetown apart. They clearly had the plot fully developed from long before they started recording, and goddamn did they make every punch count.

I also love how Limetown was one big love letter to Kurt Vonnegut.

Edit: I'm surprised there isn't mention of Qwerpline in the OP. It may be improv comedy, but you can't argue that it's definitely serialized fiction. One of my favorite podcasts right now.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

That's one thing that really sets Limetown apart. They clearly had the plot fully developed from long before they started recording, and goddamn did they make every punch count.

I just started Limetown, about 3 episodes in. Totally grateful to this thread for turning me on to it.

I've no idea whats going to happen but I'm loving that I can expect it to stay good.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The clever wordplay in episode 4 clued me in to the fact that I was listening to a masterpiece. It just gets better and better.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Earwicker posted:

Finally got around to listening to episode one, and I really enjoyed it, especially the music. Is it composed specifically for Alice Isn't Dead, or does it come from old albums like most of the Night Vale stuff?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I'm listening to season 2 of We're Alive and I'm having a hard time going on with it.
I understand that conflict is the nature of drama, but so many scenes can be summarized as, "No. You're the rear end in a top hat!". It's not fun to listen to.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I've been enjoying The Bright Sessions. One-on-one therapy sessions involving patients with extraordinary abilities like time travel and mind reading. The simple format helps to iron out the roughness in the dialogue and acting; you'd expect an intimate conversation with a comparative stranger to be awkward. There's a larger plot emerging in the background, but the focus on the characters is what sells it.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Just powered through 3 episodes. A strong start!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just marathoned Limetown and all I can say is :stare:.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Alice isn't Dead continues to be exceptionally good.

gently caress the Thistle Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Caught up on:

Welcome to Nightvale
Alice Isn't Dead
Wolf 359
Limetown

Download the Black Tapes

What else is worth the time?

Wolf 359 was a bit of a slow burn but totally had me from the end of Season 1 on. It felt like the Babylon 5 progression from senseless bullshit to Oh god Single Story Arc over the next 4 years.

• Locked thread