Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

howe_sam posted:

I was only kind of watching the first hour of the premiere. Did Jonathan seriously think he could break the rules, or did he legit gently caress up reading a clock?

It looked like his map computer's clock was off. He checked another clock and was like "oh, poo poo."

e: YESSSS Wild Bill's new crew are morons!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sig, being a dick is what gave you that heart attack.

e: the fishing has been entirely too good so far.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 30, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

next time on Deadliest Catch: Newly single Keith finds love in the wrong place

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Elliot was bought out by another company. Thank gently caress. :unsmith:

Jake is the replacement captain. :smith:

TheJake that life keeps kicking in the nuts or junkie loser Jake?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Good Jake is the new captain.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I've always liked Sig but loving with Jake like that was a bit petty. It's one thing to rib a guy for painting his own logo on his boat instead of delegating, but an unprovoked pot-for-pot string is a dick move. Did he think Jake wasn't going to fight back?

I get that Sig wants Jake to do things "The Right Way™" but his control freak tendencies have an ugly side. There was about zero reason to mess with him when Jake and Casey were working together, and he should not be surprised that they countered.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yeah, Sig's better than that. That's disappointing from him.

I just hope this isn't something the three of them were all in on beforehand (e- I figure it'd be pretty stupid to risk blowing a quota because Thom Beers said so). I'm cynical enough about "reality TV" that I've been waiting for them to find ways to poison about the only show left in the genre that hasn't been terribly tainted. The first couple seasons of Ice Road Truckers were interesting before it turned into trash. I feel like most everything this show did with Elliot (especially on shore) was trying to stir up DRAAAAAAMA.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 30, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think Sig is passed that he can no longer string Jake along with the promise of running the Northwestern. How dare the kid show actual gumption in advancing his career instead of being a dutiful little deckhand for me.

And oh god, I'm now caring about a "plot line" in a reality show.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Keith is a lunatic normally, I wonder if he will snap and kill someone this season.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FogHelmut posted:

Grandpa Schnabel dead.

Way to go Todd, you just had to leave Alaska.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'm excited for this idiot on the Cape Caution, but seeing Bill happy and getting crab early for once is refreshing. Everything going on with Keith just fills me with dread whenever he's on camera now though.

Also it's good that Freddie is on a high positive energy boat like the Time Bandit, he'll soak up those good vibes and be less lovely again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wonder how much input discovery has in bringing on some of these poo poo hole green horns. Like the ones without a fishing background and straight out of college.

Glad to see sigs daughter is coming back. She was entertaining last time she was on the boat. And maybe it will distract sig from picking on good jake.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

General rule for reality tv: it's all made up garbage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sig's daughter and Jake are gonna get married!!!!!!!!!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Hahah, what?:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/science-channel-reviving-mythbusters-seeking-879292

Reviving the show already, in this way? Could have at least given it a year or two.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Science Channel proves unable to quit Mythbusters and plans to relapse with a reality-show contest to find new hosts with which to reboot it.

e: lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

I wonder how much input discovery has in bringing on some of these poo poo hole green horns. Like the ones without a fishing background and straight out of college.

I read an article a while back on that and apparently it's just a problem they've been having ever since the show started. They get people who want to do it for just a year or something to get on TV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Teek posted:

Hahah, what?:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/science-channel-reviving-mythbusters-seeking-879292

Reviving the show already, in this way? Could have at least given it a year or two.

I'm sure this will do just as well as all the other bargain basement Mythbusters ripoff shows they've tried. Smash Lab, that one with the angry british guy, and there was one that I think had a focus on high speed cameras? I don't think any of them made it past a second season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Teek posted:

Hahah, what?:

As much as I think the idea of Mythbusters is evergreen, and doesn't need the original crew to work, this is bad and they should feel bad for floating it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I read an article a while back on that and apparently it's just a problem they've been having ever since the show started. They get people who want to do it for just a year or something to get on TV.

Ya makes sense. I also read most of the other crab fisherman don't like the Deadliest catch. The reason being is the boats on the show will super underbid the normal people and discovery supplements the money lost to the boat owner or something along those lines.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

howe_sam posted:

As much as I think the idea of Mythbusters is evergreen, and doesn't need the original crew to work, this is bad and they should feel bad for floating it.

The timing couldn't be shittier. They had a somewhat emotional end to the original series, people were happy, and it was bittersweet, and before the credits have even finished rolling, like some satirical 90's TV exec, they busted in the room trying to sell the idea that "if you liked Mythbusters, then you'll LOVE Mythbusters 2.0!"

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm so happy naked and afraid is back.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Instead of Mythbusters ending on a bittersweet grand finale, I get to watch its reanimated corpse shuffling around. Maybe it can end quickly and we can pretend it never happened.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Invalid Validation posted:

General rule for reality tv: it's all made up garbage.

I've used before and will use again the example of how Hugh Rowland (IRT)'s autobiography has a section where he admits the Hugh you see on TV is a character (i.e., isn't the real him). He was on board from the beginning as a consultant thinking he was going to get a documentary educating people about the industry, which is what he wanted to create. When it went trash TV, he realized resistance was futile and joined in.

The only reason I still watch this is I find it hard to believe they can fudge the operational side of putting/not putting piles of crab in pots with 25 foot waves for intrigue, but they're definitely doing what they can to drum up storylines at sea (case in point, "HEY, FANCY MEETIN' YOU HERE!" in the middle of the Bering Sea between the Time Bandit and Wizard tonight for Keith's pep talk) to go along with the stuff that goes on on shore for the cameras. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the dumbassed greenhorns are actors.

e- Holy poo poo, Wild Bill hired a guy who's not a dumbass greenhorn! :stare:

e2- Another thing I hate about this show: I don't know what the technical term for them is (I call them "peekaboos"), but I hate fast-forwarding through my DVR to get to a 30 second to one minute segment of show in the middle of commercials only to have to fast-forward again.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 6, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Wild bill didn't do the hiring. His son did. And I really doubt they're actors. As bad as they are they still do(the ones that dont quit) more work then most people will ever do in their life in such a short amount of time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think they're actors, they're idiots who want to get on TV. Or in this case a loser who lied to get on the boat and escape outstanding warrants. And it's clear the stuff that happens between boats is manipulated.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
And that's why you don't hire friends as deckhands Jake.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So who else is watching River Monsters: Ocean edition?

:coolfish:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mop top's gonna fall asleep at the wheel and Wild Bill's gonna be pissed for a great TV moment. Calling it now.

e- Yep.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 20, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

They both fell asleep!

But Josh finally succeeded at something while driving the boat without Casey's help :unsmith:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mop top's gonna fall asleep at the wheel and Wild Bill's gonna be pissed for a great TV moment. Calling it now.

e- Yep.

How in the gently caress!? Like really!! This has to be made up. Like ya you're tired but gently caress stay the gently caress awake. JFC

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

I watched the one where he tried to conjure halibut into deadly man-eaters, lmao. That shitdick gets paid to fish and make up dumb stories. I'm not mad I'm jealous.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Definite, truly large fish are always exciting to see, so I've been keeping up with it.

It's also one of the few shows on Animal Planet that seems to still try to maintain some shred of science to it. It's definitely fallen from where it started - compare first season episodes exonerating the reputations of red-bellied piranha and alligator gar in between the man-eating predators to later seasons' constant repetition of "this fish will loving kill you dead*" - but it's miles ahead of something like Finding Bigfoot.
*Sometimes appended to "loving kill you dead by accident", with the white sturgeon, halibut, jack trevally and other very large fish being assumed to pull fishermen out of their boats or ram them in a fatal way rather than straight up eat them.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
During deadliest catch I'm pretty sure I saw a little corner ad for some contest to win a trip to DUTCH HARBOR. Oh boy yes I want to go on vacation in a crappy fishing town where the only things to do are stare at docked boats, pop pills/smoke meth, and drink amongst savagely depressed fishermen.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gazaar posted:

During deadliest catch I'm pretty sure I saw a little corner ad for some contest to win a trip to DUTCH HARBOR. Oh boy yes I want to go on vacation in a crappy fishing town where the only things to do are stare at docked boats, pop pills/smoke meth, and drink amongst savagely depressed fishermen.

Same but un-ironic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gazaar posted:

A change of scenery would be nice.

e: they probably have prostitutes too fwiw

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

IRQ posted:

A change of scenery would be nice.

e: they probably have prostitutes too fwiw

The prostitutes they have probably look like the strippers who are dancing at 12pm on a Wednesday.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dutch is actually cool as hell and you'd be lucky to go.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh hell yes, home surgery with Casey! That's what I watch this show for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh hell yes, home surgery with Casey! That's what I watch this show for.

yeah this season is firing on all cylinders...unlike Jake's boat :smugbert:

• Locked thread