Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's some what frustrating how much of my job is treated as if I'm a computer whisperer just because I understand that almost every problem with an incredibly complex list of off/on signals can be solved by resetting everything to off.

But not as frustrating as dealing with Vodafone support in literally any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
When I worked at an ISP I got hired with 0 knowledge of the systems they were using or literally anything about satellite internet.

But then I know How Computer Work so I was head and shoulders above anyone I actually had to try and help even on day one.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

hm.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

504 posted:

Don't work for a goverment department do you? I'm not even allowed in the room when my gaggle of woman friends watch that show.

Fletchers, and I work in an open plan office so I can't really shut the door.

Slavvy posted:

It amazes me that so many women love that show when it's literally a televised gold-digging contest with a knob as the prize.

There's a guy attached to the knob, you know.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

I thought Sabin's victims were underage but maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if he got permanent name suppression tho

They are for that trial. See the herald article http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11616529

quote:

The defendant is on trial before a high court facing 12 charges of doing an indecent act against two girls - four counts relate to a child while eight relate to a "young person".

It's Sabin. The age of the victims, the time of the investigation and the trial being in Whangarei all line up.

Vagabundo posted:

His name suppression is lifted in about 12 days, so we might find out then.

It runs until the end of the trial and could be continued after that.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
"Key poised to throw weight behind Helen Clark"

No Stuff, the government has to endorse her in order for Helen to run for the job.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Vagina Jones posted:

"Key poised to throw weight behind Helen Clark"

No Stuff, the government has to endorse her in order for Helen to run for the job.

The responses from his fans to the announcement they're endorsing her are great:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The reasons it wouldn't happen the other way around have less to do with the small-time opposition politics of New Zealand and more to do with the fact that he wouldn't get nominated because he's a piece of poo poo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emminou posted:

The responses from his fans to the announcement they're endorsing her are great:

List of people to unfriend due to excessive amounts stupid.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

oohhboy posted:

List of people to unfriend due to excessive amounts stupid.

Every facebook update the National party makes looks like this. Dozens of people falling over each other to trash left-wing stereotypes and slobber all over John Key's knob.

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 5, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enter thread, be reminded those people are real and out there, leave thread.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Taitale posted:

It runs until the end of the trial and could be continued after that.

I don't think it would necessarily be wrong if he kept suppression forever, because of who the victims are alleged to be

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Enter thread, be reminded those people are real and out there, leave thread.

Be reminded that these people voted in Key. And would have voted in Abbott if they could.

Let the hatred flow.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Be reminded that these people voted in Key. And would have voted in Trump if they could.

Let the hatred flow.
Fixed for more topical example

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Helen Clark actually has a really good shot tbh. The general assembly has never rejected someone and NZ is in the security council...

Russia is likely to be the only hard ones to convince, because of the weird informal rotation system system they have its technically an Eastern European's turn as SG

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eastern European, huh. Like Ukraine, or Belarus, or Poland?

But yeah, hope Helen gets it. Bringing in the four other great powers is sure to make things interesting, too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's informal in the sense that it's not an actual order, it's still a formal directive that the seat should be rotated by region, and it's not just Eastern Europe's "turn" - they're the only ones who haven't held the seat. To boot, Russia is not just in the security council with us, it has a veto that we don't. I think it would be frankly miraculous for her to get the job considering Putin's put in a lot of work in the last couple of years to reposition Russia to challenge what he sees as a US driven world policy - an Eastern European nomination would not only be the right thing within the rules, but it would be a propaganda victory for him.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

... I'm just frankly amazed that there's still an Eastern European country that can stand Russia after the Crimea incident.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I didn't think it was a formal directive, more just the way the process has worked out so far, with the understanding that everyone will get a turn.

Russia will definitely be pushing for a pro-russian candidate but the rest of the council won't accept a Russian apologist, and Eastern European countries haven't decided on a candidate.

I agree it's a slim chance, I meant "really good shot" in a relative sense. It wouldn't surprise me to see two nominations from the security council this time around, with the GA actually getting to vote. Russia will still hold the process to random with their veto but it'll certainly be interesting~

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The precise directive is "due regard shall continue to be given to regional rotation and shall also be given to gender equality.” So it's not a foregone thing - but our group has had the most goes of everyone, their group has had none, and the primary powers in both respective groups are the US and Russia who both have a lot more on the table politically than simply electing the best candidate. It's not just a case of avoiding a pro-Russian candidate for the US, it's a case of also avoiding lending legitimacy to Russian posturing by feeding into their narrative that the US is afraid of Russia as a dominant state.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The US IS afraid of Russia as a dominant state. That has literally been the central and defining narrative of global politics since the second world war, just with China there as well in the past 15-20 years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Just because the story they're telling is true doesn't mean you want to help them tell it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

As much as I detest American foreign policy and its export of Reaganist evil, I'd prefer them enormously over China or Russia as a dominating Superpower.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

As much as I detest American foreign policy and its export of Reaganist evil, I'd prefer them enormously over China or Russia as a dominating Superpower.

I don't know if you've heard or not, but China Number One

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Here's a throwback

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11618024

bonus:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10336608

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Key had no plans to increase GST, it was more of a spur of the moment sort of thing because he hadn't thought through the tax cuts thing very well.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Exclamation Marx posted:

Here's a throwback

"as the Irish did" remind me again how well that worked out for the Irish economy

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Any of you gentlemen familiar with the TV3 show "Story"? I watch everything online and have literally never heard of it before today, the reason I ask is my partner has been approached by them to take part in a story and I'm VERY skeptical and suspicious of TV journalism.

She went through an extremely bad time last year and frankly I'm terrified they are going to pull a Paul Homes "questions designed to get her crying for ratings" trick.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Front page of the Dim Post this morning was about a WCC proposal to fine anybody who gives money to the homeless. The Post, of course, took the position that some homeless spend that money on drugs, therefore it's a stellar idea to ban charity.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Front page of the Dim Post this morning was about a WCC proposal to fine anybody who gives money to the homeless. The Post, of course, took the position that some homeless spend that money on drugs, therefore it's a stellar idea to ban charity.

I love it when economic liberals who've spent their entire existences screaming about freedom from nanny states want to ban begging and giving money to beggars. I look forward to Nicola Young winning a landslide over Wade-Brown this mayoral election entirely on the back of this policy.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I know what you're doing here but the Dim Post is an actual thing so this is mildly confusing

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Didn't they already ban it last year? Or was that criminalising the homeless rather than those who give to them?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They did their whole Alternative Giving thing which wasn't a ban but was an effort to stop people from giving money to beggars and therefore discourage beggars from trying to get money on the street.

I mean, personally, I'd just lobby the central government for better funding for social services, but that's probably because I walk past the City Mission and half a dozen beggars on Queen St every day and can immediately see something is desperately wrong with the bottom rungs of our society, something that's hard to visualise while choking out a prostitute because the opposition keeps asking you whether you stand by your statements.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

The comments are predictably awful. Apparently the night shelter has infinite beds and resources, so they can always go to the night shelter! What a load of bullshit

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

They did their whole Alternative Giving thing which wasn't a ban but was an effort to stop people from giving money to beggars and therefore discourage beggars from trying to get money on the street.

Isn't that the one where they spent more on advertising for their thing then was given in the entire period via it?

EDIT: Much like Payroll Giving from a few years back which cost lots in administration etc. but nets basically nothing for actual charities.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

The dumb thing is that a lot of people take money that is given to them by someone else, and spends it on drugs of one sort or another. But it's alright for them to use drugs to relax and enjoy, because they think they "earned" the money.

Well the homeless person did to. It's hard work to sit on cold concrete, asking for money on an empty stomach all day. I dare any of the people wanting to ban begging to loving go out there and live that life for a week and tell me it isn't hard work.

Plus I think everyone should be paid by society, in exchange for the ability to monopolise a resource (specifically land, but others fit the bill as well).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

504 posted:

Any of you gentlemen familiar with the TV3 show "Story"? I watch everything online and have literally never heard of it before today, the reason I ask is my partner has been approached by them to take part in a story and I'm VERY skeptical and suspicious of TV journalism.

She went through an extremely bad time last year and frankly I'm terrified they are going to pull a Paul Homes "questions designed to get her crying for ratings" trick.

Never heard of them. What are they offering your partner? If its just 'a chance to be on TV' I say gently caress it, not worth the potential stress.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Here's how you stop homeless from spending their money on drugs and alcohol: improve their life so they don't spend all their time trying to escape it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That would require spending money on/giving money to the poor, though! I didn't something something bootstraps, ect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Lobsterpillar posted:

Never heard of them. What are they offering your partner? If its just 'a chance to be on TV' I say gently caress it, not worth the potential stress.

Top quality advice right here.
If they ain't shelling out a pile of cash, it's not even worth thinking about. They'll be using you as a profit tool, so make drat sure you're profiting as well.

• Locked thread