Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Power management is key with powerful weapons - since weapons only draw power when hardpoints are deployed, you can set power priorities so that when you deploy hardpoints and go over your power limit, only modules that aren't important in combat get depowered. The game also warns you when you buy modules that will take your ship's maximum power consumption over its current powerplant limit, so pay attention when you're outfitting.

If the station just says "docking request refused" with no reason given, probably that just means all the pads are full. Outposts don't have many landing pads (usually 3-4 small pads and 1-2 medium), and a lot of people don't realize that pads still count as occupied even when they're in the hangar, so it's not unusual for a popular outpost to have all its pads occupied in Open. If there's no empty pads, the station will just refuse you. Switching over to Solo usually gets around that problem (though NPC ships sometimes hog the pads even there); you can also just wait around for a pad to open up, but hanging around outside a station with illegal cargo is a good way to get scanned by a passing ship and fail the mission, although cops are a lot less likely to hang out near outposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If anybody ever wants to mine I found a pretty decent spot in Delkar. Dock at Invergary, jet out to one of the two pristine metallics in the system, futz with prospectors and drink beer for an hour to an hour and a half, bring home a million or two. Pretty sure there's a bonus if you wing up?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

tooterfish posted:

On the assumption they're lower power, so contribute less heat?

It's an interesting question, I've never actually seen that tested.

There is absolutely no reason to use E class modules because D class modules are superior in every way except price. They're lighter, use less energy, and slightly more effective than E class modules in every way. It's a flat upgrade.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If there is one part I would say to upgrade to A class as soon as you can, it would be the Frame Shift Drive of your ship. Being able to go farther is much better than needing to take many small jumps to get to the same place. The increased weight and power requirement are so worth it. No matter which role you want your ship to take, get the biggest A classed FSD your ship can carry.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

In combat ships, power distributor is the first thing I'd upgrade to A. It's usually one of the cheaper components anyway.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

There is absolutely no reason to use E class modules because D class modules are superior in every way except price. They're lighter, use less energy, and slightly more effective than E class modules in every way. It's a flat upgrade.
They don't use less energy, E class are the lowest energy components. Which was the whole point.

The difference doesn't seem that great in coriolis, not for sensors and life support anyway, so it's probably not worth it. No harm in speculating though.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 6, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What are people's thoughts on voice attack? Worth the ~25 bucks to talk to Shattner?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mr. Crow posted:

What are people's thoughts on voice attack? Worth the ~25 bucks to talk to Shattner?

I'm sure there are free ways to accomplish what Voice Attack does, but I like its interface and I'm glad I bought it.

I'll note that Voice Attack and the voice packs are not the same product. Voice Attack is software that lets you bind voice commands to keys/macros/functions/etc. It's more along the lines of something like AutoHotKey. The HCS Voice Packs and such are simply highly customized profiles and sound packs for Voice Attack, and are a separate expense.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just played a bit last night after being burned out for a while and boy, is switching ships a chore. I have an FdL for combat, Python for mining, and Cobra MkIII for general loving around in the bubble but they don't feel ... personal, unique or customizable enough. I don't have that "oh hey let's jump into my dedicated ship for X activity" desire anymore, they feel too restrictive and switching takes up a whole lot of time with having to find your way back, dock, select the ship, re-launch and all. Eats away half a play session if you want to switch twice.

I feel I might want to ditch them all, refit my Python for multirole and go with that (maybe keeping a DBE for exploration since that is the one thing a multirole ship can't do well because jump range is king of all stats there).

On the other hand, having just one ship feels kinda boring since components are the same on every ship and they're all pretty much straight upgrades E to A, so with enough power and money there really is no reason to use a C-something instead of an A-something unless you're flying a power-starved ship (which I kinda hate). The internal optional modules are kinda lovely and unimaginative anyways, I usually stuff my ship full of cargo racks once I have the basics down - that's an SRV bay, a fuel scoop and maybe a discovery scanner just for the heck of it. Shield boosters out of the wazoo, a KWS and a chaff launcher and that's it. There's absolutely nothing else that makes me say "oooh I want this on my ship" because you can live without anything while in the bubble. You either overspecialize for mining/explo/trade/combat sacrificing all your spaces for it, but there's no "utility things" besides maybe fuel scoop and AFM but in the bubble you can just dock and easily repair/refuel.

I wish we could have more variance in equipment, and ships that aren't barely sidegrades of each other in the same price range...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Rather than keeping a dedicated ship around all the time, just buy what you need when you need it and sell it back afterwards. Instead of keeping a DBE around all the time in case you want to explore sometime, just buy a DBE when the urge hits you, outfit it at the nearest high-tech system, and go off on your journey. When you get back, sell it back to the station. Sure, this does cost you a bit, but spending 180k credits to "rent" a DBE is peanuts compared to leaving a ten million credit fully-outfitted DBE rusting in some hangar somewhere just in case the exploration urge hits you.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The default setup for the thrustmaster T flight includes a keybind for deploying heatsinks, but not for engaging supercruise or targetting subsystems. I don't want to puzzle my way through finding an optimal setup when it's likely that one of you has already.

What's the best T flight hotas setup?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Before I dump the cash on a python: does the Robigo slave thing with accepting missions and selling them right back still work? I'm closing in on the rank required for cutter and I really don't want to grind out the 500 billion or whatever the normal way.

DreadLlama posted:

The default setup for the thrustmaster T flight includes a keybind for deploying heatsinks, but not for engaging supercruise or targetting subsystems. I don't want to puzzle my way through finding an optimal setup when it's likely that one of you has already.

What's the best T flight hotas setup?

Bindings are very much a personal preference kind of thing.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
In that case I will rephrase: Has anyone got stick setup they'd like to share that's good for descent style dogfighting?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

In that case I will rephrase: Has anyone got stick setup they'd like to share that's good for descent style dogfighting?

I used this as starting point

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Main Paineframe posted:

Rather than keeping a dedicated ship around all the time, just buy what you need when you need it and sell it back afterwards. Instead of keeping a DBE around all the time in case you want to explore sometime, just buy a DBE when the urge hits you, outfit it at the nearest high-tech system, and go off on your journey. When you get back, sell it back to the station. Sure, this does cost you a bit, but spending 180k credits to "rent" a DBE is peanuts compared to leaving a ten million credit fully-outfitted DBE rusting in some hangar somewhere just in case the exploration urge hits you.

Why does the thread consistently act like this is some insurmountable sum of money? I literally (and by "literally," I mean "precisely") made this much with 10 days of casual play doing smuggling missions around my starter system. I feel like some of the poopsockers on here could do this in a day or two. Am I missing something? Or am I just jaded because everything takes a month or two in eve?

Have I been in the black so long that they hosed up smuggling missions? Before I left, you could pick up two or three per station worth ~100k-200k each, and only be one or two jumps for delivery. Almost always to outposts.

Speaking of the black, jumped into this the other night:

Dropped in between the two stars in the background, fuel scoop already maxed out at the landing. I don't roll with heatsinks, so it was a harry few moments.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Get out of the 'newbie' systems ASAP - they are not safe in open. If you don't want to play with Frogs just find a nice quiet system that you like the look of and call it home.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

I use VA without the voice packs and it's worth 7 bucks in convenience, easy. The big expensive packs you're thinking of come witk preloaded command cues and custom audio responses, so they're more expensive. If you don't particularily care about the game talking back to you (or figuring out your own command structure), try vanilla first. There's a free three-week trial.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think the easiest way to make bank early in the game is to go to a res in a high (or sometimes medium) security system, get a spawn instance with a wing of cops, and just hang around them and get a couple shots in as they are taking down their targets. You don't even have to worry about getting lit up if you just wait until they are almost dead.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I think the easiest way to make bank early in the game is to go to a res in a high (or sometimes medium) security system, get a spawn instance with a wing of cops, and just hang around them and get a couple shots in as they are taking down their targets. You don't even have to worry about getting lit up if you just wait until they are almost dead.

Anyone know if player influence can change security rating in a system? My little group would like to increase our system security to get better bounty hunting.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why does the thread consistently act like this is some insurmountable sum of money? I literally (and by "literally," I mean "precisely") made this much with 10 days of casual play doing smuggling missions around my starter system. I feel like some of the poopsockers on here could do this in a day or two. Am I missing something? Or am I just jaded because everything takes a month or two in eve?

Have I been in the black so long that they hosed up smuggling missions? Before I left, you could pick up two or three per station worth ~100k-200k each, and only be one or two jumps for delivery. Almost always to outposts.

Speaking of the black, jumped into this the other night:

Dropped in between the two stars in the background, fuel scoop already maxed out at the landing. I don't roll with heatsinks, so it was a harry few moments.

Imperial slave trading in torval space makes bank, I know that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

hey ultra noob question from a returning player here:

I can't remember out for the life of me how to change tabs to the contact menu on the left UI. Either on joystick (i have a HOTAS thrustmaser and the little analogue selects options in the UI but doesn't change tabs) or mouse, so after a rocky start relearning planetary landings I'm just currently logged out just slowly spinning above the dock because I cant request docking and feeling like a space moron.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

I can't remember out for the life of me how to change tabs to the contact menu on the left UI. Either on joystick (i have a HOTAS thrustmaser and the little analogue selects options in the UI but doesn't change tabs) or mouse, so after a rocky start relearning planetary landings I'm just currently logged out just slowly spinning above the dock because I cant request docking and feeling like a space moron.

E and Q?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mike the TV posted:

Anyone know if player influence can change security rating in a system? My little group would like to increase our system security to get better bounty hunting.

Which group is that?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

Which group is that?

My IRL friends and I. 4 of us total.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nopantsjack posted:

Mine is the (rudder) paddle on the back of the throttle but I don't know if that's the default.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mike the TV posted:

My IRL friends and I. 4 of us total.

That's like bigger than some 3E groups!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DarthBlingBling posted:

That's like bigger than some 3E groups!

Lol we have fun

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does anyone know what this group of bright stars are? It's heading in the direction of the elephant trunk nebula.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MoraleHazard posted:

Does anyone know what this group of bright stars are? It's heading in the direction of the elephant trunk nebula.

Does the other end point towards Earth? If so, it is probably an area where an actual star survey has been done!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Imperial slave trading in torval space makes bank, I know that.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I've seen people complain about how long it takes to earn enough to buy a cobra3...that's about two smuggling missions or fifteen minutes in a res with a friend.

I mean, I understand it sucks grinding out the cash for an Anaconda or Corvette, but if you hate the grind, I'm not sure a slower, less agile ship will somehow cure that. :shrug:

Back in Outer Space, I'm a little mad that I can't land here:

Well, at least I know that a Water Giant (a world where the atmosphere is almost entirely water) is different from a Water World with no atmosphere. I'm not sure how, since it seems to me in both cases you would have water, then vacuum? Also, why can't I land on this? NO ATMOSPHERE FRONTIER! :colbert:

Also jumped into this system:

That's a neutron star with an M-class star ~4ls away. Catch that landing at the wrong part of the orbit and it would be bad news for my little Banana Boat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Does the other end point towards Earth? If so, it is probably an area where an actual star survey has been done!
Data seeding aside, it's probably also a bunch of O and B stars being spat out of the stellar nursery of the nebula behind them, similar to the B-field next to the Omega nebula mentioned a few pages back.

Stellar Forge seems quite happy (and perhaps reasonably accurate) in creating these birthing and death zones for stars — areas that are either shock full of hot new stars or protostars or, at the other end of the spectrum, tons of white dwarves, neutron stars, C and S-stars and other giants.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

MoraleHazard posted:

It's the NGC 7822 cluster. Quite a pain to jump into as you start running out of reach between stars, the main trick is to get your tank nearly empty and you should get in there. And it will be a maze where you have to pick your way though manually.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I decided to fire Elite back up and go shoot some stuff today, and lo and behold the x52 pro drivers are hosed up in Win 10 again... meaning I have to install the stick as a generic USB device and thus can't do poo poo like map all the keys, etc.

How the gently caress can this STILL BE HAPPENING, MadCatz? poo poo...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

WebDog posted:

It's the NGC 7822 cluster. Quite a pain to jump into as you start running out of reach between stars, the main trick is to get your tank nearly empty and you should get in there. And it will be a maze where you have to pick your way though manually.

Well, I'm probably not going to make it in a Cobra. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MoraleHazard posted:

Well, I'm probably not going to make it in a Cobra. :v:

I did.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Apologies is this has been covered before but: will player factions be a thing? And will it eventually have an effect on the game world?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Gonkish posted:

I decided to fire Elite back up and go shoot some stuff today, and lo and behold the x52 pro drivers are hosed up in Win 10 again... meaning I have to install the stick as a generic USB device and thus can't do poo poo like map all the keys, etc.

How the gently caress can this STILL BE HAPPENING, MadCatz? poo poo...

I have no idea what you're doing wrong, my X52 pro has worked fine on Windows 10 since the day the disk images appeared on MSDN across 2 motherboards. Can you try older drivers or something? Maybe some incompatibility with some other hardware or software you're running?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

..btt posted:

I have no idea what you're doing wrong, my X52 pro has worked fine on Windows 10 since the day the disk images appeared on MSDN across 2 motherboards. Can you try older drivers or something? Maybe some incompatibility with some other hardware or software you're running?

My X52 pro had a hiccup with the drivers, but I pointed it back at the local driver repository and it found the correct ones again.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mikojan posted:

Apologies is this has been covered before but: will player factions be a thing? And will it eventually have an effect on the game world?

Who knows. We have a faction that we put into the game and has our lore listed on the system description, but we ourselves aren't flagged as members of the faction by the game.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Huh.

WebDog posted:

Nostalgia doing it in a Cobra really piqued my interest. What does picking through manually mean? Just choosing the next system one at a time?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, that's what I don't get. I've seen people complain about how long it takes to earn enough to buy a cobra3...that's about two smuggling missions or fifteen minutes in a res with a friend.

I mean, I understand it sucks grinding out the cash for an Anaconda or Corvette, but if you hate the grind, I'm not sure a slower, less agile ship will somehow cure that. :shrug:

All the ways to make real money are entirely unintuitive and totally undocumented. Unless they've got someone helping them along, the newbie experience is mostly doing classified data transportation missions for peanuts with an E-rank FSD and the route planner set to "most efficient", flying around in a CZ with D-rank thrusters and E-rank power distributor firing cannons and beam lasers at random ships, and playing the minigame when a NPC interdicts them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

NGC 7822 / Sharpless 171 is an easy destination for a well outfitted Hauler or Cobra and worth wandering through. The black holes and neutron stars are good cash and exploration rank.

• Locked thread