Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Kaluha, chocolate syrup, and red Kool-Aid.

Hammer gives the secret to its awfulness in the commentary on the DVD: the proportions of the ingredients. If memory serves, the vast majority of the Red Moco Cooler is chocolate syrup, there's a cocktail-appropriate amount of Kahlua, and then there's a tiny bit of red Kool-Aid poured on top. Like, just a skin of the red stuff. The point was that in real life, it'd be undrinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tarlibone posted:

Hammer gives the secret to its awfulness in the commentary on the DVD: the proportions of the ingredients. If memory serves, the vast majority of the Red Moco Cooler is chocolate syrup, there's a cocktail-appropriate amount of Kahlua, and then there's a tiny bit of red Kool-Aid poured on top. Like, just a skin of the red stuff. The point was that in real life, it'd be undrinkable.

Wonder if it would taste better if mixed with more sensible proportions?(also I'll admit I've never had rum, but a Ruddy Bottom doesn't sound too bad if made right, but then I really like Grenadine in my drinks)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The episode with the hunchback dean clone is an autoskip for me, i cant of any redeeming gags but i havent watched it in a while.
Dr Qymm has Doc ragdolling off the jeep and Dean's best line in the show "Brock, this is like the saddest thing ever". and both of those are laugh-til-u-cry moments for me.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Machai posted:

I personally don't like the Doc half of Mid-Life Chrysalis and I don't care much for Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean., but Careers in Science and Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner? are my least fav mostly because of Colonel Bud Manstrong.
Yeah, Mid-life Chrysalis is probably the episode with the fewest points in its favor. Although I still might rewatch it before Careers in Science.

Are You There God? It's Me Dean though? The Monarch vs. Brock b-plot is one of the high points of season 1.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

My friend first introduced me to the show by telling me "every episode is the best episode" and I find that this holds true.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's sort of weird that Dermot is just kind of gone now. His character got a lot of focus in the past couple of seasons, and he's Hank and Dean's half brother. I never much cared for him, but it's still kind of strange to have him missing for a whole season.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's sort of weird that Dermot is just kind of gone now. His character got a lot of focus in the past couple of seasons, and he's Hank and Dean's half brother. I never much cared for him, but it's still kind of strange to have him missing for a whole season.

My guess is the main reason he hasn't shown up this past season was if he was around he'd torpedo Hank's chances with Sirena, while now that they've successfully hit it off, him coming in will make for an entertaining complication, also his "mom" will probably want to try and get some money out of Rusty now that he's rich

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Bust Rodd posted:

The episode with the hunchback dean clone is an autoskip for me, i cant of any redeeming gags but i havent watched it in a while.
Dr Qymm has Doc ragdolling off the jeep and Dean's best line in the show "Brock, this is like the saddest thing ever". and both of those are laugh-til-u-cry moments for me.

Nah, Hunchback Dean has everything with Hank and Dermott thinking they killed Dean and need to go on the run, which is fantastic, and also the entire climax is like a perfectly organized collision of four different plots into one magical clusterfuck. And it gives Urbaniak a bunch of great material to work with as hallucination Doc.

The real weakest episode is the pilot.

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is the main reason he hasn't shown up this past season was if he was around he'd torpedo Hank's chances with Sirena, while now that they've successfully hit it off, him coming in will make for an entertaining complication, also his "mom" will probably want to try and get some money out of Rusty now that he's rich

I can see Dermott showing up to make things awkward with Hank and Sirena, but I don't see Mrs. Fictel trying to shake Rusty down for money considering, at least to my memory, she was disgusted when he tried to offer them support money when told Nikki was pregnant.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 6, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RandallODim posted:

Now Venture'll send Samson after the rest of us and he'll go totally sickhouse on our asses! I like my rear end, gentlemen.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Oh no, I really agree here. I put off watching this show for ages after turning off the pilot halfway through. I gave it another chance just before the new season started, though, and now I guess I'm waiting with the rest of you. :(

And I really have a soft spot for Past Tense as my favorite episode

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Picking a favorite episode would be really hard. Maybe the phantom limb prison escape one? "chuck is the muscle" kills me, guild history is awesome. Prom is of course awesome. Wes warhammer is up there.

I think careers in science is pretty bad. From the later seasons, I think I only skip the hunchback Dean one. I kind of like Dr Quymm - orangutan boxing, "broken arrow", desperate rusty suddenly being disgusted by epilepsy were all funny.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bang Clyde!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RandallODim posted:

Nah, Hunchback Dean has everything with Hank and Dermott thinking they killed Dean and need to go on the run, which is fantastic, and also the entire climax is like a perfectly organized collision of four different plots into one magical clusterfuck.
I agree with this. The bit where Dermott burns Hank's driver's license is brilliant and then the "high-speed" escape on the tour bus thing and Hank dropping Dermott off.

And also that episode had "Hank, just because he's black doesn't mean he has the Shining." - I didn't like how that guy ended up actually being that stereotype but that line was gold.

e: And the best episode is The Lepidopterists. And the best back-to-back episode pair is that and O.R.B. because they were really on a roll there at the end of S3.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Brock likes the butt stuff. :agesilaus:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Guilty posted:

Now Venture'll send Samson after the rest of us and he'll go totally sickhouse on our asses! I like my rear end, gentlemen.

You're referencing the first aired episode, which is not the pilot. The first episode had Rusty in Mexico giving a talk and then getting his kidneys stolen, while his kids got kidnapped and Brock got hit by a truck. The pilot had Rusty presenting a death ray at a United Nations science conference, while the boys (and then Brock) have a run-in with a prostitute as the Monarch stalks them.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I agree with this. The bit where Dermott burns Hank's driver's license is brilliant and then the "high-speed" escape on the tour bus thing and Hank dropping Dermott off.

And also that episode had "Hank, just because he's black doesn't mean he has the Shining." - I didn't like how that guy ended up actually being that stereotype but that line was gold.

The final line (Doc saying "Who the hell was that?" about the Dean clone who had been driving the entire plot) always kills me. Perfect delivery.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Picking a favorite episode would be really hard.

Like half my posts itt are correctly pointing out that Victor Echo November is, and always shall be, Best Episode

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

twistedmentat posted:

Ghost Abe totally saw Rusty giving himself a Rusty Venture in the Lincoln bedroom.

Speaking of that, is the general consenus that Guess Who's coming to State Dinner is the weakest episode? Honestly I think Mama's Boys is weaker.

State Dinner is mostly good - Brock's secret service rival is the weak point.

The Dr. Qumyn episode is probably one of the weakest.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Gotta go with Dr.Quymn for weakest episode. Aside from a few funny bits it's an overall boring episode with an uninteresting plot.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Gotta go with Dr. Quymn for weakest episode. Aside from a few funny bits it's an overall boring episode with an uninteresting plot.

And, ultimately, it's meaningless, too.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I can see Dermott showing up to make things awkward with Hank and Sirena, but I don't see Mrs. Fictel trying to shake Rusty down for money considering, at least to my memory, she was disgusted when he tried to offer them support money when told Nikki was pregnant.
Oh no, she made him pay, but she wanted him out of their life forever after that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Here's what you do:

Write all the episode titles on note cards
Divide them evenly into bottom, middle, and top tier piles
Subdivide each group into three tiers
Continue subdividing until you have sorted every episode against its closest peers
Fine tune as needed

You have now determined every episode's rank!

It's what Billy would do

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Red posted:

This too. I would have at least liked to see Clyde again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Red posted:

It serves as the impetus for Col. Gentleman to punch Rusty in Now Museum - Now You Don't! Also I think it was pointed out earlier in the thread that it's the inadvertent introduction of The Blue Morpho! (He's in the background of Jonas's key party)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think the whip handle in the butt is a Rusty Venture.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

WrathOfBlade posted:

Yeah, Mid-life Chrysalis is probably the episode with the fewest points in its favor. Although I still might rewatch it before Careers in Science.

Are You There God? It's Me Dean though? The Monarch vs. Brock b-plot is one of the high points of season 1.

One redeeming factor in favor of "Mid-life Chrysalis" is that when Doc fully transforms to the giant caterpillar, he expresses concern at Hank's total lack of concern. Hank then reminds him that they see very odd things all the time, and the only difference here is that Doc is the odd thing. Doc later expresses a similar sentiment when he explains his appearance as just something that'll happen when you mess with superscience a lot. He puts it nicely: "I pissed in God's eye, and he blinked."

"Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean" is a great episode, if for no other reason than the fact that it is probably the very first episode to really move away from the show being a Johnny Quest parody and toward more of a deconstruction of the genre. After all, this kind of crap couldn't just keep happening all the time, because sooner or later someone's going to defeat the other person. This show begins to show that there's a gigantic bureaucracy behind villainy. And, presumably, behind the good-guy side, too, seeing as how there are apparent agreements, treaties, and rules that both sides have to play by, including one that forbids a villain from carrying out his or her plans while one of the heroes is sick (or something like that). There's a whole procedure. Monarch lampshades the fact that it makes no sense to seek medical attention to a hostage who is about to be killed, but it doesn't matter--and that's a brilliant way of showing the level of work that has gone into creating a situation where villains can arch heroes pretty much forever, with neither side ever really getting the upper hand.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i hope they just randomly drop the last 2 episodes of the season a few weeks from now or something otherwise this is gonna be brutal.

it's one thing having to wait it's another when the season didn't even officially end.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I too long for surprise venture bros episodes, but for me it only happened with the halloween one.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Mr. Unlucky posted:

i hope they just randomly drop the last 2 episodes of the season a few weeks from now or something otherwise this is gonna be brutal.

it's one thing having to wait it's another when the season didn't even officially end.

The gently caress are you talking about? The season is over they aired all the episodes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They even gave an interview to pre-emptively say 'yep, that it for this season, sorry guys.'

We might get another special in 2017, if we're lucky

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if they have been officially renewed? I believe seasons 5 and 6 were the two seasons that they were renewed for already (I remember them getting renewed for 2 years a few years back).

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

tarlibone posted:

Does anyone know if they have been officially renewed? I believe seasons 5 and 6 were the two seasons that they were renewed for already (I remember them getting renewed for 2 years a few years back).
nothing official yet, though I believe they've already started writing potential episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not like Cartoon Network is going to just drop one of their most anticipated shows.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cojawfee posted:

It's not like Cartoon Network is going to just drop one of their most anticipated shows.

They dropped Space Ghost CTC.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You're referencing the first aired episode, which is not the pilot. The first episode had Rusty in Mexico giving a talk and then getting his kidneys stolen, while his kids got kidnapped and Brock got hit by a truck. The pilot had Rusty presenting a death ray at a United Nations science conference, while the boys (and then Brock) have a run-in with a prostitute as the Monarch stalks them.

I honestly think everyone, if they haven't, owes it to themselves to watch the pilot at some point, if only to be able to appreciate how far the show has come. Rewatching it now, even it has some good bits, like Brock 'desecrating' the 'mummy' and "the fleshy jig of the mommy-and-daddy dance", but the writing is so much weaker it's crazy to imagine that we'd get something like Victor, Echo, November from it down the line. Also you get to experience the glorious circa 2003 Flash animation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2F-JSAVWsU

Dia de los Dangerous is a great episode. "They hit me with a truck" is one of my favorite sequences in the whole show.

X_Toad posted:

Oh no, she made him pay, but she wanted him out of their life forever after that.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was misremembering it, and I didn't feel like checking the episode itself. I still don't expect anything to come of it at this point, mostly because it just doesn't feel like something relevant any more, but with this show who even knows.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

they couldn't come up with contrived reasons for everyone to pack up and move to the new venture compound. dr. orpheus is more sorely missed than dermott

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

In one of the commentaries they talk about how far the characterizations have come. Urbaniak keeps doing 'They're robot bones!' and I can't not laugh at it.

This series really does have the best commentary.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

The first episode had Rusty in Mexico giving a talk and then getting his kidneys stolen
They only stole one kidney, he had already lost the other as a kid in one of The Action Man's loving psychotic pranks. The more of Rusty's childhood and peers we see, the clearer it becomes that he's actually amazingly well-adjusted, compared to how he could have turned out.

Red posted:

Yeah, that episode would have been remembered much more fondly if it ended up being a set up for something instead of just fizzling out. I at least expected them to end up in bed together, then later find out they are siblings. Because that's how Rusty's life works.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

they couldn't come up with contrived reasons for everyone to pack up and move to the new venture compound. dr. orpheus is more sorely missed than dermott
While a bunch of characters are sadly missing, I'm sure that trying to cram them all into an already super-busy 8 episodes would have been pretty detrimental to the entire season. It was the right call.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Oh for sure, I know there's not really a reason for him to be there but I miss Dr. Orpheus too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Having orpheus's voice actor as the pizza guy made me extra sad to not see him.