Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harry Connolly says he's going to write what was supposed to be the next (final?) Twenty Palaces book as a novella after he finishes and sends out the draft of his current project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Harry Connolly says he's going to write what was supposed to be the next (final?) Twenty Palaces book as a novella after he finishes and sends out the draft of his current project.
That sounds like good news! The only other thing I read from him was A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark which I liked a lot, is his standard fantasy worth anything?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Megazver posted:

That's pretty awesome. I always got the impression he was setting up for at least another trilogy, and all the unanswered questions certainly seem to lend themselves to that kind of length, so I hope it's more "next" and less "final."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

anilEhilated posted:

That sounds like good news! The only other thing I read from him was A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark which I liked a lot, is his standard fantasy worth anything?

It's alright, with a disappointing ending.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Huh. Listening through Ghost Story again and I'm wondering: Was Biana a tool of Cowl, or was she infected by the Nemesis? A valid argument could be made either way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vicissitude posted:

Huh. Listening through Ghost Story again and I'm wondering: Was Biana a tool of Cowl, or was she infected by the Nemesis? A valid argument could be made either way.

I could see it going any number of ways, but my gut tells me that the Black Council were egging on both sides of the Red Court/White Council war but weren't doing more than nudging either side along.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
at the time that I read whichever story introduced it, i got the impression most or all of the black council was infected.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Personally, I'm leaning toward Bianca being a pawn of the Black Council. Cowl and Kamori were present and actually infected Lea, which seems to be a far better play than a Red Court noble. But of course that could have be incidental given the political power being flexed at the time.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Slow night at work, so I just bought the latest Alex Verus book on Kindle.
I got an e-mail saying it will be delivered on the 7th of April, but it's already the 7th of April, and no book to be found.
Do you know how long the supposed wait time is? I'm EU, if that makes a difference.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Got it just as my shift finished. :toot:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Up Circle posted:

at the time that I read whichever story introduced it, i got the impression most or all of the black council was infected.

The Black Council maybe, but I'm of the opinion the Red Court was quite probably just egged on and did everything themselves with the support of their "friends" rather than a more direct connection. Think about it; why directly infiltrate somebody (and run the risk of being uncovered during the fighting, especially since the Gatekeeper might wind up involved in the war directly as part of the White Council) when you can just push them to do what they and you want to do? I tend to suspect the Fomor are similarly being manipulated. Right now the only group we've really for sure seen been infiltrated has been the Winter Court, and as the primary opponents of the Outsiders of course they're worth the risk of getting into directly, especially since they managed to snag one of the three leaders to boot. It's logical the Black Council is infected as well, but even there it might not be many if they can just manipulate most of the others to do as needed.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

MadDogMike posted:

The Black Council maybe, but I'm of the opinion the Red Court was quite probably just egged on and did everything themselves with the support of their "friends" rather than a more direct connection. Think about it; why directly infiltrate somebody (and run the risk of being uncovered during the fighting, especially since the Gatekeeper might wind up involved in the war directly as part of the White Council) when you can just push them to do what they and you want to do? I tend to suspect the Fomor are similarly being manipulated. Right now the only group we've really for sure seen been infiltrated has been the Winter Court, and as the primary opponents of the Outsiders of course they're worth the risk of getting into directly, especially since they managed to snag one of the three leaders to boot. It's logical the Black Council is infected as well, but even there it might not be many if they can just manipulate most of the others to do as needed.

Summer too, back in White Knight, oh and one of the Denarians as well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The latest Alex Verus book, Burned was real good. Essentially, the previous book was the straw that broke the camel's back and the mountains of people Verus has pissed off throughout the series (pretty much the entire magical government minus a small handful and every dark wizard under the sun) all put their heads together and decided they didn't want to deal with him any more and he has to die.

It was practically the Changes of the series in a way in how it completely and irreversibly stomped all over the comfortable life Verus had and sent the plot and characters careening in completely different directions, if not quite as completely and utterly scorched earth as Changes.

Of course, now I have to wait for the next book to see the consequences.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 9, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I agree with the summary and interpretation of Burned. Very changes-esque, and I feel like it's a necessary transition given the politics of the setting. We've been told for a bunch of books how bad dark mages (and especially Richard) are but only rarely shown, and it's time for that to happen.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, Burned was great. Go read it.

Man, that is basically a total defeat for Verus? Anne and Verus back with the Dark Mages, and their loved ones as hostages.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
drat, it feels like I read Veiled just a couple months ago and now there's another Verus book I need to go out and get...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm not sure. (massive spoilers for Alex Verus Burned follow)

On the one hand, obviously it's not good to be forced to work for Richard again. He left because he had moral issues with the way he operated, and that won't have changed since then. Anne has a similar background and will be challenged more directly given her lethal powerset, but Verus is definitely going to make tough choices.

On the other hand he is now working for people who actually want him not-dead. The end of Burned showed conclusively how worthless the council is, and how powerless even the people he trusts were when push came to shove.

The overarching political stuff was interesting, too. Chalice explicitly saying she opposes Morden's ambitions, and basically operate on her own is very similar to what Alex wants. Meanwhile Morden's endgame is basically just what the council does already, but with him in charge. Richard's own goals remain unclear, but I suspect political power is not involved.

What do you think the odds are that the next book has Verus forced to steal back the Jinn he stopped Morden from getting this time?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Velius posted:

I'm not sure. (massive spoilers for Alex Verus Burned follow)

What do you think the odds are that the next book has Verus forced to steal back the Jinn he stopped Morden from getting this time?

(More spoilers for Burned here!)

I would say roughly 10,000%- remember, we still saw several top diviners say that most probable futures led to Verus handing Richard the djinn- I can't imagine that'll be forgotten.

But yeah, Burned was a drat fun book with a lot of poo poo happening at once. I'm still a big Schaefer/Faust fanboy, but I think Verus has easily become my runner up Not-Butcher-Urban-Fantasy series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Dresden's prominence in the current UF crop is because it got there first and did it best, but what were the biggest UF books (or even series, heck, even properties regardless of medium) before Dresden came along?

I have had Alex Verus on my list for a while. When I was on holiday last year, I was in a bookshop and looked for it but they didn't have the first one, but they did have the first Laundry Files book, so I ended up reading that series instead.

It's taken me a while (I put the book in the bag I take to work so I could read it on the train, but forgot it was there and went off to read something else) but I'm about halfway through Midnight Taxi Tango and I'm liking it well enough. It's introduced a couple of extra viewpoint characters, but it's remained engaging enough for me. I think it has the same problem as Half-Resurrection Blues did (granted, that was the author's debut novel) in that it's a bit slow to get going.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Manly Wade Wellman wrote some pretty great modern fantasy.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Just off the top of my head the anita blake books certainly predate dresden and the first several were just 'investigative magic user who helps the cops' so more than similar enough to count as "modern UF", and of course by the author's admittance weren't the first entry in the genre.

Butcher's protagonist is male which helped sell the books. He also made sure not to get discouraged and when he finally caught the upswing he held on fairly well. He wasn't doing anything unique, just working constantly to figure out what the genre liked. It took him the first 3 concurrent books, then once those sold he had a firmer grip and summer knight was born. Since most of the UF genre is built on the premise of "What if X-Fantasy-Element was in Y-Gritty-Realism-Story", it's not surprising he could just plug away at it until something worked.

I think it might be a result of his success that the genre prefers to embellish established fantasy and noire story elements in a formulaic fashion. But that method isn't really new. It's been the time honored tradition of good writers throughout history. We tell stories readers can identify with and the fastest way to do that is to remind readers of another story. Of course, his stuff isn't all just retreads of other ideas. He puts his mark on things he reuses, and even finds room for some ideas of his own.

I think if you pressed me I'd put demonreach, the denarians, and Ivy as the most unique elements of the dresden files we see in the books. The absolute best is the oblivion war which butcher mostly talks about 'off-stage' as a background element that informs the intrigue. Anyways, Wizards/Vampires/Werewolves/Winter/Summer/Cops-and-Robbers had all been done prior to dresden. The denarians were born from actually deconstructing christian mythology as pulp-accessible myth, which I feel was rare. Similarly the take on arthur and avalon melded together as a dolstoyevsky-esque prison-in-need-of-a-warden is really interesting. We don't dwell on it much because by the time it shows up it's not treated as the wonderously strange thing it might in another author's work. Lastly, Ivy is just a remarkably human lovecraftian protagonist. Everything about her is horrific. She's this almost unimaginably traumatized orphan child, and she still manages to hold on to some sense of normalacy. It's great, and again butcher doesn't rub your face in it he just glosses past it.

I can't decide if it's masterful of butcher to treat these interesting things so softly while focusing the plot elsewhere or not.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I think so. Butcher tells his stories, and he shows off some really neat side pieces and world building on the margins, because his characters just can't be bother to think about it too much right then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Butcher wasn't first, but he was the first I'm aware of to really double down on the noir genre elements. Everyone I'm aware of writing urban fantasy before Butcher was either writing more "literary" fiction (i.e., Tim Powers with Declare), or primarily mixing some other genre in with the fantasy (romance, spy thriller, etc.) The closest thing I'm aware of the straight detective-noir / fantasy mix prior to Dresden were the Garrett P.I. books by Glen Cook, and he set them in a fantasy world, not the present day.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Butcher did copy Laurell K. Hamilton and Buffy pretty hard when he started though. Noir was his idea but the rest.. Later in series he turned it into something like epic urban fantasy with massive political/war plot, that's hisgreatest original invention imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mallamp posted:

Butcher did copy Laurell K. Hamilton and Buffy pretty hard when he started though. Noir was his idea but the rest.. Later in series he turned it into something like epic urban fantasy with massive political/war plot, that's hisgreatest original invention imo

Right, he basically turned it into an RPG campaign with Dresden as the PC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Dresden's prominence in the current UF crop is because it got there first and did it best, but what were the biggest UF books (or even series, heck, even properties regardless of medium) before Dresden came along?

Constantine is kind of similar.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Reading through the most recent Libromancer book, and I'm really amused that Small Favor made an appearance

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Anyone read Borderline yet? I'm about 20% done and it's not bad, a bit rough but could be an ok series.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

calandryll posted:

Anyone read Borderline yet? I'm about 20% done and it's not bad, a bit rough but could be an ok series.

I liked it well enough, but I don't know if I'd actively seek out the next one.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

calandryll posted:

Borderline was ok, but I'm not likely to pick up a sequel unless the reviews or reception were exceptionally good.

The Girl with Ghost Eyes was pretty good. There are weak spots, but nothing too bad, and I enjoyed the main character and the setting. It's nice seeing UF that's not ripped out of European mythology.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Recent Reads:

Harmony Black: Great, makes the character stand out on her own.

Every Heart a Door: Confusing warm fuzzies and a book that feels young adult while talking about something important.

Working on ~Charming~ book one, not sure on it yet.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Recent Reads:

Harmony Black: Great, makes the character stand out on her own.

Every Heart a Door: Confusing warm fuzzies and a book that feels young adult while talking about something important.

Working on ~Charming~ book one, not sure on it yet.

Charming/Pax Arcana starts off a bit awkwardly but gets a nice groove going as the series goes on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Currently partway through Daring in the Pax Arcana series and I kind of like it.

Nothing has come close to the part in Charming where John finally goes through the shift into full Werewolf to gently caress up the guy that had been giving him so much trouble through the book to that point but I figure the confrontation with Bernard ought to get close.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

The Girl with Ghost Eyes was pretty good. There are weak spots, but nothing too bad, and I enjoyed the main character and the setting. It's nice seeing UF that's not ripped out of European mythology.
I liked that one a lot although I'm kinda worried the inevitable sequels are going to veer into Anita Blake teritorry the way it ended.
Also I'm super bummed the protagonist's plan of ramming the giant rampaging skeleton with a tram didn't work. I was imagining it as the slowest action chase scene ever.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 12, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I liked that one a lot although I'm kinda worried the inevitable sequels are going to veer into Anita Blake teritorry the way it ended.
Also I'm super bummed the protagonist's plan of ramming the giant rampaging skeleton with a tram didn't work. I was imagining it as the slowest action chase scene ever.
How do you mean?

And yeah, that would have been awesome, but at the same time I liked the image of the heroine being carried through the air by a flock of ghost seagulls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I suspect a budding romance with the tiger spirit guy, but it might be just me being rather paranoid about these things. All in all, I'd love to see more Oriental-based fantasy, be it Asia or Arabian Nights stuff. The ye olde Chinatown setting was pretty drat fresh and interesting.

My favorite bit about the seagull part is that she references the myth about two deities who only meet once a year on a bridge built by magpies and goddamnitineedtorereadbridgeofbirdsagain.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 12, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I suspect a budding romance with the tiger spirit guy, but it might be just me being rather paranoid about these things. All in all, I'd love to see more Oriental-based fantasy, be it Asia or Arabian Nights stuff. The ye olde Chinatown setting was pretty drat fresh and interesting.

My favorite bit about the seagull part is that she references the myth about two deities who only meet once a year on a bridge built by magpies and goddamnitineedtorereadbridgeofbirdsagain.
Maybe? He did shut her down pretty hard, but it is only the first book. Anyways, I"m still not sure how that would push the series into Anita Blake territory. There's a far cry between "has a love interest(?)" and "literally must gently caress or you die".

I'd like to see more of 1900s Chinatown in a sequel. One of the more interesting parts of Molly Tanzer's Vermillion was how the weird west San Francisco elements interacted with Chinatown. Of course, that book went completely off the rails and lost its plot in the last third of the book, but that's different issue. (Actually, come to think of it the premises of the two books are remarkably similar.)

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 13, 2016

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

navyjack posted:

I liked it well enough, but I don't know if I'd actively seek out the next one.

Mars4523 posted:

Borderline was ok, but I'm not likely to pick up a sequel unless the reviews or reception were exceptionally good.

Yeah I just finished it and it was meh. Ok concept but drat enough about let me tell you about borderlines!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Just finished the first of the Black Magic Outlaw books by Domino Finn. Short as hell but it seemed pretty fun, scratched that Dresden itch. Starting book two tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Girl with the ghost eyes was good.

I've been making my way through the felix castor stories. They're well-written by the standards of the genre, but good grief he's a miserable bugger. He's got some weird compulsion to be a complete dick to everyone around him, even when being pleasant would cost absolutely nothing and someone has gone massively out of their way for him.