Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

Add some extra volume in. Like another set or two. Backing off works but is horrible in terms of long term strength gains.

Backed off to 185 and 2 work outs later I just crushed 205. :toot: Felt easy except at the end of sets 4 and 5. Friday is 215 and Monday...Monday I will squat 2 plates 5x5 goddamnit :toot:

What do you guys think about when you're squatting. When I first got seriously started powerlifting a few months ago I'd often think about lifting a flaming bus off my mom/dad/sister. I'd try to amp up before each set with a different scenario in my head.

Now when I squat I take three deep breaths before I pickup the weight and try to get all zen/empty mind. Pickup the weight, biiiiiig inhale,, knees out, push through. Breath as needed and repeat. There's one spot just above my knees where I focus and feel like it's the only spot that's pushing the weight so I just zone in pushing through right there while keeping my knees out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I think about what would happen if I have a stress fracture in my femur that gave out. Or if I slipped a disk. Or if I failed and my cage broke and the weight took me neck first to the ground. And what it would be like to be crippled after that.

You know, normal stuff.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im about to ride up a dang @$$ mountain brb

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

I think about what would happen if I have a stress fracture in my femur that gave out. Or if I slipped a disk. Or if I failed and my cage broke and the weight took me neck first to the ground. And what it would be like to be crippled after that.

You know, normal stuff.

This.
Plus your zen. Focus. Do it right. You gently caress up and you're injured. Forever.

Don't gently caress up.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Have you seen the breathing techniques used by Wim Hof to do cold training? I think it has a positive effect on physical activity

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Decided to try out calf raises again.. I found em boring since I never felt they gave me anything. (Standing, machine). Ended up doing 705lbs. Going for 880lbs next week... Calfs can take it easyli, no problem, but it's abit heavy on the back.
It's strange, I never trained calfs in my life, save 1-2 months half a year ago, but it feels so drat easy. Advice for more effective calf training excercises? (or well, they might be effective for all I know, just dont feel it that much compared to other muscles).

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Uxzuigal posted:

Decided to try out calf raises again.. I found em boring since I never felt they gave me anything. (Standing, machine). Ended up doing 705lbs. Going for 880lbs next week... Calfs can take it easyli, no problem, but it's abit heavy on the back.
It's strange, I never trained calfs in my life, save 1-2 months half a year ago, but it feels so drat easy. Advice for more effective calf training excercises? (or well, they might be effective for all I know, just dont feel it that much compared to other muscles).

I stack two mats and step half on, half off of them, then do raises with a bar over my shoulders. It gets more range out of my calf raise.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uxzuigal posted:

Calves are the most important leg muscles to work, dont skimp on em

(from an aesthetic standpoint of course)

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..
Gain a shitton of weight, exercise calves then. Lose weight. Sexy calves remain (hopefully)

No joke I had pretty strong and buff calves in college because I was 300 lbs but still someone active, played sports, had to climb 3 flights of stairs 20 times per day to my dorm. Down to 230 currently and I fairly regularly get people asking me what I do for calves.

I don't do much now, on leg day I'll use the sitting calve lift machine and call it a day #blessed

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I stack two mats and step half on, half off of them, then do raises with a bar over my shoulders. It gets more range out of my calf raise.

I think I get rather decent range, feet are on a metal bar quite far off the ground, giant rear end shoulderpads. See if I can upload a video. Maybe my form is total poo poo.

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZouSkUDLfw

Added some fitting music.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

This, but also with switching your heel placement up.
1/3 set feet straight
1/3 set heels in
1/3 set heels out.

Then I also pair it with lunges with one foot up on the bench, 25 pounds in each hand. 35? Can't remember, been a little while since I've done this specific set.

Is it is as impressive as using the calf raise machine, or the super reclining leg press for it? No. But I'll be damned if I ain't walking funny after I'm done. Hits the calves and quads.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Google "dc calf training" and do that

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the last time a girl complimented a part of my body it was my calves fwiw. they notice.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
did back over 3 hours ago and im just now eating, so fkn hungry

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I found a friendly doggo.

and some really steep hills.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so were there freeweights at the top of the hill or what :confused:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

let me tell you about watts, heart rate, and functional threshold power

and railing corners like a mother fucker!!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i prefer railing chicks and lines

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Paper Diamonds posted:

What do you guys think about when you're squatting.

Becoming an :ssj: I clench up and while I'm on the way up, then I start screaming like I'm about to poo poo my pants, that way when I do finally get all the way up I'm all like yaaaaaaah! but with my butt clenched forward so none can see the load I just dropped in my :goku:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Working chest and gym fill with people? Though NYE was over this is more than I'm used to this late.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

as a former skinny lil bitch my calves are my weak point by far :(
oh well eventually ill get on gear and grow some ballsack calves

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Profondo Rosso posted:

as a former skinny lil bitch my calves are my weak point by far :(
oh well eventually ill get on gear and grow some ballsack calves

Hit em first every single workout. Not everyone can have big, low-attaching calves but everyone can add shape n definition

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I remember my mom making me go to a "health class" once a week. Such beautiful calves on people who were heavy, but trying to do something about it. One women was tall and was obese, but when she'd walk around the gym and get those babies a flexin', it was a sight that I still remember 16 years later.

Also, my body seems to be working at peak efficiency. It only took about 8 hours to digest and pass the steak burrito from last night.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
DC kinda looks like the standing machine poo poo I am doing.
I promise to not neglect calfs. I will try finding motivation in doing retarded numbers that impress people who don't know poo poo :D Be fun to break 1000lbs in something on a personal level too ofcourse.

On that note what is an "impressive" calf raise (machine,standing)? Not exactly the excercise to measure your manbeast power in...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You can't fool me again. Calves don't grow on non-fats.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

On that note what is an "impressive" calf raise (machine,standing)? Not exactly the excercise to measure your manbeast power in...

There isn't one. People who put a poo poo ton of weight for calves when they still have pathetic calves aren't lifting right and are probably using their Achilles to help get the weight up rather than focusing on calves.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you think about it, your calves are just the legs' forearms.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uxzuigal posted:

I will try finding motivation in doing retarded numbers that impress people who don't know poo poo :D Be fun to break 1000lbs in something on a personal level too ofcourse.

Wrong mindset. Impressive calves is what you should be seeking, not an impressive calf raise.

DoubleT2172 posted:

There isn't one. People who put a poo poo ton of weight for calves when they still have pathetic calves aren't lifting right and are probably using their Achilles to help get the weight up rather than focusing on calves.

Spot on. This is also why I don't like using a real big ROM for calves, seems like the Achilles tendon takes most of the load that way.

Try doing them in the smith machine, it's worked better for me

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

You can't fool me again. Calves don't grow on non-fats.

You can definitely improve whatever you're working with, even if they'll never be massive.. That's a fact

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
calves lol

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Uxzuigal posted:

DC kinda looks like the standing machine poo poo I am doing.

Nice music choice but unless you used some sick mad video editing skills I don't see you pausing for 5 seconds at the top of the lift and 10 at the bottom.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
I'd do calves but gently caress waking up at 3am with a Charlie horse

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Uxzuigal posted:

DoubleT2172 posted:

Yes, but when someone loads up the reclining leg press and just pushes it with the balls of their toes / calves, people who don't know how dumb it is stare at that person.

Some people go to the gym to be stared at...

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Well brony I get stared at because I am swole not because of how much I lift. So I don't care about ego lifting. Hope that helps

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Nice music choice but unless you used some sick mad video editing skills I don't see you pausing for 5 seconds at the top of the lift and 10 at the bottom.

Will try adding pauses at top and bottom of the calf raises as suggested. :> Also: You should see my MS Paint skills.
- - - -

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Wrong mindset. Impressive calves is what you should be seeking, not an impressive calf raise.

Not my mindset, just curious. :> Only thing I care about if pushing my body as far as I can to improve it, 8 months ago my arthritis had me walking like a 90year old. Now I am back being functional, less joint pain, less wear and tear.. gently caress if I am gonna be chained to a bed at 50 because I didn't wanna push through some pain now.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

I'm told that the leg extension is really bad for knees, any other common machines I should avoid using at the gym?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Arnold did leg extensions, soooooo, gently caress you buddy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Boko Haram posted:

I'm told that the leg extension is really bad for knees, any other common machines I should avoid using at the gym?

everything is bad for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
btw my roommate just joined Equinox and tried to get me to sign up for a referral fee and i laughed super hard

• Locked thread