Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zedprime posted:

If they keep to the Valkryie Profile profile, it will have to be about Aeris fighting Jenova in the life stream to prevent the end of the world.

Valkyrie Profile profile. :v:

That would be kinda interesting, moreso than what I fear is currently being cooked up. Prove me wrong, Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm more curious as to story justifications for expanding the game. VII's story has been known for over a decade now. They can expand side stories and backstories, but unless they do some heavy retconning nobody's going to be surprised by the way episodes finish.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm more curious as to story justifications for expanding the game. VII's story has been known for over a decade now. They can expand side stories and backstories, but unless they do some heavy retconning nobody's going to be surprised by the way episodes finish.

Is that a bad thing? Everyone knew how Halo: Reach was going to end too, and that went over well enough.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I dunno, it's been gone over a few times that lots of people don't really remember VII. :v:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ApplesandOranges posted:

I kind of want them to actually hit the same story beats but with more detail. I'd be fine with lots of little changes. They have sort of come off sounding a little George Lucas-y though saying "hey we created it, so we think we have the right to change it in the remake" and while that's totally true and fine, there's that feeling of "ugh what if they make it bad by making Cloud super-serious all the time and everyone treats him like a total badass and and and." Also, if they change a plot detail that a lot of people really like, there's inevitable backlash.

Well, there's going to be inevitable backlash no matter what though so I guess just do what you gonna do, SE.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The story isn't gonna the same though, is the thing. It's a remake/reboot, not just FF7 with better graphics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm hoping that people end up complaining about the faithful parts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm more curious as to story justifications for expanding the game. VII's story has been known for over a decade now.

Outside of hardcore FF forums, most people do not actually know 7's story past the 1st disk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I kind of want them to actually hit the same story beats but with more detail. I'd be fine with lots of little changes. They have sort of come off sounding a little George Lucas-y though saying "hey we created it, so we think we have the right to change it in the remake" and while that's totally true and fine, there's that feeling of "ugh what if they make it bad by making Cloud super-serious all the time and everyone treats him like a total badass and and and." Also, if they change a plot detail that a lot of people really like, there's inevitable backlash.

Well, there's going to be inevitable backlash no matter what though so I guess just do what you gonna do, SE.

Aerith Shot First?

Or I suppose a more fitting analogy would be some hypothetical where "AVALANCE only bombed the reactor by accident."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I played through FF7 more than once and when I read Elentor's LP I was surprised by several parts I didn't remember at all. I suspect the same is true of most people who played it at age 13 or younger.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Aerith Shot First?

Or I suppose a more fitting analogy would be some hypothetical where "AVALANCE only bombed the reactor by accident."

Shinra actually blew up the reactors as a false flag op and just made people think AVALANCHE was behind it in their bid to take over Midgard and oust the democratically-elected mayor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Actually, now I'm curious about something. The whole "most people don't actually remember FFVII" thing gets said alot. Right or wrong, it's something you hear often enough.

But what about the other "big time old FF" - FFVI? I think that is the next FF I will be playing.It's one of the only ones I have left to finish. But anyway, VI was quite the hit back in the day as well and would have been big with younger players around the same age as those who played VII. Do people forget or have nostalgia and their imagination make up things about VI as well?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Actually, now I'm curious about something. The whole "most people don't actually remember FFVII" thing gets said alot. Right or wrong, it's something you hear often enough.

But what about the other "big time old FF" - FFVI? I think that is the next FF I will be playing.It's one of the only ones I have leftto finish. But my point is, it was quite the hit too and would have been big with younger players around the same age as those who played VII. Do people forget or have nostalgia and their imagination make up things about VI as well?

People remember FFVI really well because the story is far simpler and better translated.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

But what about the other "big time old FF" - FFVI? I think that is the next FF I will be playing.It's one of the only ones I have leftto finish. But my point is, it was quite the hit too and would have been big with younger players around the same age as those who played VII. Do people forget or have nostalgia and their imagination make up things about VI as well?

Most people just remember that a dude suplexed a train.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

People remember FFVI really well because the story is far simpler and better translated.

It's pretty much this. FF6's story is court magician who gets experimented on goes insane and destroys the world, but it's okay because we're getting the gang back together to beat him anyway. FF7's story is unreliable narrator with unspecified mental condition lies to you for the first thirty hours of the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, even 4 which has a pretty rough translation is simple enough that the details don't get lost. Cecil isn't some sort of possible Golbez clone with Kain's memories living a fake life that Rosa is corroborating. Even if 7 was well localized, with that layer of complexity there's bound to be issues.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Artix posted:

Is that a bad thing? Everyone knew how Halo: Reach was going to end too, and that went over well enough.

Holy poo poo they did a video game adaptation of The Fall of Reach?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'm reminded of the great "is Sephiroth still alive in any capacity or is it just Jenova the shape-shifter the whole time" debate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember the whole "Did humanity die at the end of FF7?" debate.

And the EU answered that with "They really should have."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

I remember the whole "Did humanity die at the end of FF7?" debate.

And the EU answered that with "They really should have."

they all got turned into red xiii dog people

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pretty much.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

they all got turned into red xiii dog people

The peak of evolution, pretty obvious there.

I do remember thinking while watching the last video "wasn't Red the last of his kind? Gaaame!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bloodychill posted:

The peak of evolution, pretty obvious there.

I do remember thinking while watching the last video "wasn't Red the last of his kind? Gaaame!"

We never saw what else Hojo attempted to breed with Red XIII.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I hope cloud dies instead of aeris

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Surprise twist at the end of episode 1, Aerith is saved by the goddess Etro

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tempo 119 posted:

Is this before or after she sends Tifa on a suicide mission?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Artix posted:

Is this before or after she sends Tifa on a suicide mission?

It's concurrent, Tifa has infiltrated Deepground at this point but she hasn't yet earned the trust of Genesis Rhapsodos

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

bloodychill posted:

I'm reminded of the great "is Sephiroth still alive in any capacity or is it just Jenova the shape-shifter the whole time" debate.

It's half true isn't it? His body is made of Jenova cells by the end but he still has his mind and doesn't have quite the same goals as Jenova.

EDIT: To be fair I don't remember the plot of FF7 very well. I just know Jenova wanted to destroy the world or something but Sephiroth was more interested in fighting Cloud.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 6, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jenova infected animals are all over the place in the deep north, far as we know. Didn't matter what happened to Jenova in the crater.

Tempo 119 posted:

It would be those people from that cell phone game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Oh wow, I completely forgot about the cellphone game where you play as Turks. I wonder if they'll try to work that in at all?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Oh wow, I completely forgot about the cellphone game where you play as Turks. I wonder if they'll try to work that in at all?

I'd be kind of interested in that since that game - Before Crisis - seems to be about the founding of AVALANCHE. Something I forgot was that Barret and co. joined up later and the group was made by someone else.

Tempo 119 posted:

Of course it is later revealed that Etro created Jenova in the first place.

Oops.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sephiroth is jenova's lcie

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is lcie japanese for boytoy

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

But what about the other "big time old FF" - FFVI? I think that is the next FF I will be playing.It's one of the only ones I have left to finish. But anyway, VI was quite the hit back in the day as well and would have been big with younger players around the same age as those who played VII. Do people forget or have nostalgia and their imagination make up things about VI as well?

FFVI is simpler because its big plot points are simple, and everything in between is mostly fluff and some background exploration. The main villian doesn't really have any complicated motivation, either.

Whereas for VII, the backstory is important for fully understanding the story and it's not the easiest thing to piece together at first playthrough.

IV was the first game with a nuanced villian (Golbez), but most of that was mind-control and it was from VII onwards that they started to have a lot more complex villians (Kuja, Vayne).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

vayne solidor, the totally not evil guy who has bat wing armor

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It doesn't help that FF7's translation was pretty bad.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The plot is completely inscrutable in any language.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bloodychill posted:

Even that's crossing the streams on what the debate is. There is the observation that you probably only see Sephiroth the man 3 times in the game (Nibelheim flashback Sephiroth, Sephiroth encased in materia at the North crater, and final showdown in the lifestream Sephiroth), and every other appearance or boss named Sephiroth is a Jenova based chimera. That's slightly straightforward if you connect the dots between him falling into the Lifestream, showing up in the materia, and showing up at the finale duel. I think they even mention in the Ultimania that you chase Sephiroth because a super deformed Sephiroth field model worked, where the super deformed Jenova models looked dumb.

The argument spewing debate is over whether Sephiroth has any agency or what his role in the armageddon plan ever was, besides as a Jenova infected lightning rod sticking out of the lifestream.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The PS4 port has a pretty solid script, shame that it probably won't stay that way for the remake with voice acting.

Wonder what they'll do about the scene where Cloud goes into a bloodrage and beats the poo poo out of Aerith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Augus posted:

Wonder what they'll do about the scene where Cloud goes into a bloodrage and beats the poo poo out of Aerith.

QTE mini-game.