Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreatGreen posted:

And the dude can shred
yeah he can go through the finger exercises from his lesson book really, really fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I want it so bad

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

One of the Best

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

It was good choice to give Ronald Reagan that Cosby pudding face.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't even mind ugly gear, I'd play through those, but why not make it so both cabinets have the same number of each speaker?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Allen Wren posted:

I don't even mind ugly gear, I'd play through those, but why not make it so both cabinets have the same number of each speaker?

It kinda makes sense, in a wall of marshals way. One has more highs and mids, while the other has more low end. With some switching, you could end up with a large variety of tone options while still having an absurd amount of speakers to haul around? Seriously, 16 speakers is way to many to actually haul around.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Nice 1st April article for whoever was calling for the death of the 1/4" jack earlier...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ggmgm-calls-for-the-death-of-the-1-4-jack-plug-636485

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 1, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Do you think the neck is made out of the same laminate material with the same grippy stuff on it that the body is made out of.. ?

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5521896713.html

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
how much for that beautiful rug

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

No lie I saw this yesterday and considered posting to this thread, but then I didn't.

I wrote this story myself.

Might be worth posting all the close-up images, to clarify that this mess also have many rocks glued to it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

:swoon:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There is 100% chance this guy collects model trains.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

i wonder if the crystals glow white when a couple bros are jo'ing near it

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

I'm genuinely surprised he's only asking $150 for it; people deranged enough to own or make such an item, are usually much more deluded as to it's value

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

City of Tampa posted:

i wonder if the crystals glow white when a couple bros are jo'ing near it

tone-jo-crystals

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Fair Hallion posted:

I'm genuinely surprised he's only asking $150 for it; people deranged enough to own or make such an item, are usually much more deluded as to it's value

That was my exact thought.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone have that GIF of the jazz or prog bassist soloing with the drummer and his solo face gets funnier as he moves up the fretboard?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mister Speaker posted:

Does anyone have that GIF of the jazz or prog bassist soloing with the drummer and his solo face gets funnier as he moves up the fretboard?

This one?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yes! Thanks, I wanted to show that to a friend. Who is that bassist, BTW?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
When I think of bass playing that is the first thing that comes to mind.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Mister Speaker posted:

Yes! Thanks, I wanted to show that to a friend. Who is that bassist, BTW?

John Pattituci (sp?)

That's from a performance of Chick Corea's India Town, which is a lovely boring adult contemporary tune. You can find the whole video on Youtube.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Ken Marino will be playing him in the authorized biography

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's from a performance of Chick Corea's India Town, which is a lovely boring adult contemporary tune. You can find the whole video on Youtube.

it's sounds like weather channel's local on the 8s in a k-hole

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

its a clear acrylic faustus special
I have a moral objection to bootleg instruments.

This is my newest obsession, actually. I've always wanted a T-Type electric without actually buying a Fender, but I found this new Ibanez Talman TM302MTFB and I put a horrendously expensive set of Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton T-Type pickups in it. I absolutely love it. I bought a Fulltone OCD with the FPS-3 18V power supply to power the pedal and a wonderful tc electronic Corona Chorus to go with.
All my outboard gear is old and dead, so I guess I'm building up a pedal collection.

Yay for tax refunds! Also I'm back at my old job and feeling pretty good about life in general.

I could definitely understand how and why Telecaster purists (and others) would consider this instrument truly (ugly) stupid music poo poo. I think if you were a Tele person and you played it, you'd at least admit it plays great and sounds amazing.

P.S. - It's a shame WDE is stuck with the GBS guitar. I wanted that story to have a happy ending, and I hope it still will!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
now this right here is my jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnAtaneReNI&t=60s

it's even got frank gambale

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a moral objection to bootleg instruments.

This is my newest obsession, actually. I've always wanted a T-Type electric without actually buying a Fender, but I found this new Ibanez Talman TM302MTFB and I put a horrendously expensive set of Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton T-Type pickups in it. I absolutely love it. I bought a Fulltone OCD with the FPS-3 18V power supply to power the pedal and a wonderful tc electronic Corona Chorus to go with.
All my outboard gear is old and dead, so I guess I'm building up a pedal collection.

Yay for tax refunds! Also I'm back at my old job and feeling pretty good about life in general.

I could definitely understand how and why Telecaster purists (and others) would consider this instrument truly (ugly) stupid music poo poo. I think if you were a Tele person and you played it, you'd at least admit it plays great and sounds amazing.

P.S. - It's a shame WDE is stuck with the GBS guitar. I wanted that story to have a happy ending, and I hope it still will!

We have that at my shop, it's cool and almost reminds me of the guitar WDE and I never really got off the ground

I'm a little surprise you put 'buckers in it, is all

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mclast posted:

We have that at my shop, it's cool and almost reminds me of the guitar WDE and I never really got off the ground

I'm a little surprise you put 'buckers in it, is all
If they're good enough for Gatton, they're good enough for me!

(also, the bridge pickup was noisy with any gain, these 'buckers solve that)

A little more about the pickups: You know how P90s have that reputation about being so clear and precise that they point out every flaw in your playing? I would say that having played both, these pickups have that same scary beautiful characteristic.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

If they're good enough for Gatton, they're good enough for me!

(also, the bridge pickup was noisy with any gain, these 'buckers solve that)

A little more about the pickups: You know how P90s have that reputation about being so clear and precise that they point out every flaw in your playing? I would say that having played both, these pickups have that same scary beautiful characteristic.

really what i'm saying is, you're right it's definitely not a tele purists' guitar. glad you dig it tho it's cool lookin. it's way better for you than P90s too, those are only for 90s alt-pop

I have one SG and one split-coil PBass and another 5 single-coil electrics, just is what it is

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I did go for the sorta vintage-but-Gatton-approved set. I didn't get the "Modern" set. I bought the T-Set (Neck and Bridge) found here.
I want to post some audio clips to Musician's Lounge next weekend once I have the pickup heights and other parameters set ideally. They really do respond amazingly to the guitar's volume/tone controls. I didn't even install either of the two caps JBE included in the box.
I work second-shift so I can't play the 50W combos after work. I'd be evicted. Also, I want to get a couple licks from "The Sun Medley" and "Harlem Nocturne" under my hands. Then I'll play some de-tuned low-heavy metal stuff and see how that goes.

That OCD pedal turned my Peaveys' lifeless clean channels into something that even the Barden pickups couldn't.

I would have stuck with the original electronics in the Ibanez but I thought it was too modern and fat and had too much gain. I wanted something closer to a vintage tone and every time I think of Gatton I wish I could play and sound like him when appropriate. Unfortunately, neither will happen, but drat those pickups deliver and the OCD is a joy. So is the Corona Chorus.

I see major gear acquisition syndrome in the year 2016. Frankly, I'm afraid of the expense of all the gear I desire.

P.S. - Sorry for the GBS serious-posting. I'll go away for another 720 posts like I did last time.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 6, 2016

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

without actually buying a Fender

serious question - what's your beef with Fenders
(is it build quality, design, VFM, what)

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

I love the Talman series. My first "real" electric was a TV650.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksu2bleSdUA&t=33s

:stare:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 6, 2016

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
nothing wrong with that Ibanez, it's a great looking quasi-tele.

normally I wouldn't like the aesthetic of rail-style pickups in a traditional Tele but they actually add to the look of the Ibanez. and Gatton was rad

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I did go for the sorta vintage-but-Gatton-approved set. I didn't get the "Modern" set. I bought the T-Set (Neck and Bridge) found here.
I want to post some audio clips to Musician's Lounge next weekend once I have the pickup heights and other parameters set ideally. They really do respond amazingly to the guitar's volume/tone controls. I didn't even install either of the two caps JBE included in the box.
I work second-shift so I can't play the 50W combos after work. I'd be evicted. Also, I want to get a couple licks from "The Sun Medley" and "Harlem Nocturne" under my hands. Then I'll play some de-tuned low-heavy metal stuff and see how that goes.

That OCD pedal turned my Peaveys' lifeless clean channels into something that even the Barden pickups couldn't.

I would have stuck with the original electronics in the Ibanez but I thought it was too modern and fat and had too much gain. I wanted something closer to a vintage tone and every time I think of Gatton I wish I could play and sound like him when appropriate. Unfortunately, neither will happen, but drat those pickups deliver and the OCD is a joy. So is the Corona Chorus.

I see major gear acquisition syndrome in the year 2016. Frankly, I'm afraid of the expense of all the gear I desire.

P.S. - Sorry for the GBS serious-posting. I'll go away for another 720 posts like I did last time.

Never leave.

You were right all along.

This thread is your thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Make Faustus a mod but for this thread only imo

• Locked thread