Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I tend to view conventional wisdom pretty skeptically. My guess is that it's entirely possible to sell premium products for premium prices even when you have direct and functionally identical competition.

It's just that it requires a particular type of strategy that is out of the wheelhouse of most of the companies in the Android space right now.

There's also that people forget that "premium" stuff also doesn't sell all that well for Apple in the first place, so expecting it to sell better for other manufacturers is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I wasn't expecting or asking for Google to produce a mass-market handset under their own name, but it would be nice if the Pixel team handled Nexus phones from now on, rather than outsourcing them to OEMs.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The Pixel, while a nicely solid and well designed piece of hardware, is still $1000 for i5, 8GB RAM, 32GB SSD. There's no way someone wanting to spend $1000 on a laptop would be willing to spend it on that, unless they are an enthusiast. There's a lot better ways to spend $1000 on a laptop. I have a Chromebook, and I love it, it's great for my family since it was $150 and I just don't care about it too much.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The Pixel, while a nicely solid and well designed piece of hardware, is still $1000 for i5, 8GB RAM, 32GB SSD. There's no way someone wanting to spend $1000 on a laptop would be willing to spend it on that, unless they are an enthusiast. There's a lot better ways to spend $1000 on a laptop. I have a Chromebook, and I love it, it's great for my family since it was $150 and I just don't care about it too much.

I was referring more to the Pixel C, which while at expensive, is at least in the same ballpark as other high end tablets.

And I would 100% be okay spending that money on a Pixel if it had a slotted SSD. Crouton works great and doesn't feel too hacky, and the hardware, besides being excellent quality, is also just unusually well designed; the aspect ratio of the screen, footprint, and display resolution are unique amongst all laptops, and huge boons.

Unfortunately, with a 32gb SSD, it is of little use for my purposes. :(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I like the Pixel C form factor better than my Nvidia Shield. Doesn't look like it has SD Card slot, and I wouldn't be able to do the Nvidia game streaming, I guess? Even though it seems to have same or better specs as my Shield Tablet.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The charger for my nexus 7 started dying this week, so I did an idiot and plugged the tablet into a dumb (non-switching) 1A charger before going to sleep.

This morning there's a bunch of ash and burnt pcb smell around the charger socket, and the tablet claims it's charging when not plugged in. Pretty sure something around the usb port is hosed because my laptop doesn't recognise it being plugged in either.

Where do I post to be incessantly mocked for this and/or find out the best way to retrieve any passwords/files/etc before the battery goes entirely?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 5, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

This morning there's a bunch of ash and burnt pcb around the charger socket, and the tablet claims it's charging when not plugged in. Pretty sure something around the usb port is hosed because my laptop doesn't recognise it being plugged in either.
If it's a 2013 N7 it supports wireless charging which may well still work.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

And the 2012 has pogo pins for a dick.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tunga posted:

It's a 2013, yeah. I'd forgotten it even had qi, I'll look into finding a basic charger. If it doesn't work at least I've got an accessory I've been meaning to get since forever :v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The charger for my nexus 7 started dying this week, so I did an idiot and plugged the tablet into a dumb (non-switching) 1A charger before going to sleep.

This morning there's a bunch of ash and burnt pcb smell around the charger socket, and the tablet claims it's charging when not plugged in. Pretty sure something around the usb port is hosed because my laptop doesn't recognise it being plugged in either.

Where do I post to be incessantly mocked for this and/or find out the best way to retrieve any passwords/files/etc before the battery goes entirely?

For the backup question, make sure your google sync is working will catch most things, for individual files etc. share to the Google Drive app and they will sync up to the cloud.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Daimo posted:

And the 2012 has pogo pins for a dick.

Please tell me this is a typo and not a new fetish.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Wibbleman posted:

Screw Google Glass and Android Wear. Walk around with a tablet on your Cock Dock.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Magog posted:

Screw Google Glass and Android Wear. Walk around with a tablet on your Cock Dock.

Low bandwidth, but high latency, baby! :wink:

Actual content: Just had a Utorcase 'over the top' frame for my Shield turn up from Shapeways, as I was curious about 3d printed shenanigans. (Link).

Trip report: If you have a Shield Tablet and Shield Controller, this is the tits for casual gaming. You need this. You just don't know it yet.

Bit of a bugger in terms of portability, and you'll need to swap your regular case in and out if you use it for other stuff, but for pure pew pew it's really, really good. Very durable. Thumbs up.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 6, 2016

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Wibbleman posted:

Sorry, big hands small phone.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Um. Ash and burning smell? You should probably get rid of that as it sounds like a portable house fire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh yeah, for sure. Want to see pictures?

Looks like the transistor at the top exploded, when I cracked this thing open the lower leg was just gone, and the middle one snapped with no effort.

I was dumb enough to make this happen, but I'm not dumb enough to attempt to keep using electrical equipment that's been on fire.

Tunga posted:

Qi pad arrived today, it does indeed work, thanks for the tip. Tablet still thinks it's permanently charging, I guess the pin that senses input voltage got fused to the 5v battery line or something. At least now I've got some more incentive to upgrade if this 2016 Nexus 7 they're supposedly revealing at the end of May turns out to be an actual thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 6, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Um. Ash and burning smell? You should probably get rid of that as it sounds like a portable house fire.

Im guessing Finster meant the tablet not the charger.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
I'm looking for linux software that will flash an image to my pos dragon touch y88x tablet that has an allwinner A33 chip. PhoenixUsbPro does it fine on windows, but my laptop that runs windows XP is not long for this world. I'm not sure if any kind of software will do it or if it needs to be able to do it with an A33 chip specifically since livesuit lists some allwinner chips but not the A33.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FetusSlapper posted:

I'm looking for linux software that will flash an image to my pos dragon touch y88x tablet that has an allwinner A33 chip. PhoenixUsbPro does it fine on windows, but my laptop that runs windows XP is not long for this world. I'm not sure if any kind of software will do it or if it needs to be able to do it with an A33 chip specifically since livesuit lists some allwinner chips but not the A33.

your time would be much better spent using Mechanical Turk to make money to buy a different tablet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FetusSlapper posted:

Goldmine

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, the shield suddenly jumped up in price an extra hundred bucks, at that price point is it still worth it? Cause I think No. What's the next go-to that isn't the Fire? I don't like FireOS and I don't feel like loving with flashing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So, the shield suddenly jumped up in price an extra hundred bucks, at that price point is it still worth it? Cause I think No. What's the next go-to that isn't the Fire? I don't like FireOS and I don't feel like loving with flashing.
The Pixel C for £300 (or whatever it goes for with the developer discount in your country of choice) is a really good deal.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It did? K1 is still $199 which it always has been. You using canadian funny money or something?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Are there any major releases coming soon for android tablets? I'm thinking about getting a good tablet but I don't want to buy one if something better is coming out a month later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there an accessories thread?

I kinda want to buy a powerpack that I can attach to the back of my shield somehow and have whilst I use it.

Maybe I'll stick some elastics to the back of my case and get a large, thin powerpack that I can strap in.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

clockworkjoe posted:

Are there any major releases coming soon for android tablets? I'm thinking about getting a good tablet but I don't want to buy one if something better is coming out a month later.

There's rumors of a new Nexus tablet in the next month or two but there's been no leaks or anything to back that up.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

Just get in on this while it lasts: https://pixel.google.com/developer-discount/

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Require More Fire posted:

There's rumors of a new Nexus tablet in the next month or two but there's been no leaks or anything to back that up.

Huawei trademarked 7p. So a new Nexus 7 made by them sounds alright if the 6p is anything to go by.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Athenry posted:

Huawei trademarked 7p. So a new Nexus 7 made by them sounds alright if the 6p is anything to go by.

Oh, that's cool. I'd be ok with upgrading from my 2013 N7 if that's the case.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikeJF posted:

Is there an accessories thread?

I kinda want to buy a powerpack that I can attach to the back of my shield somehow and have whilst I use it.

Maybe I'll stick some elastics to the back of my case and get a large, thin powerpack that I can strap in.

My suggestion would be to use those short Velcro strips instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Best to wait for Google IO.

We already have had info that N is going to launch this summer and since the main party trick of N is multi-window, it stands to reason that refreshed hardware to showcase that should follow.

I have a Pixel C now and really like it, but I also still use my N7 2013 on a daily basis. I would completely jump on a refreshed N7 with a snapdragon 820, a 1440 screen, and 3-4 GB of RAM.

The 2013 N7 is holding up really well. I'm sure it's slower if you play games and chrome isn't quite as snappy as the Pixel C, but it's still a very usable device. More usable than the stuff you find at the low end today, and it's almost 3 years old.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

The 2013 N7 is holding up really well. I'm sure it's slower if you play games and chrome isn't quite as snappy as the Pixel C, but it's still a very usable device. More usable than the stuff you find at the low end today, and it's almost 3 years old.

Honestly, if the accelerometer on my 2013 N7 hadn't just died, I wouldn't even be looking for a replacement any time soon (though I certainly wouldn't turn one down).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

bull3964 posted:

I also still use my N7 2013 on a daily basis. I would completely jump on a refreshed N7 with a snapdragon 820, a 1440 screen, and 3-4 GB of RAM.

:same:

docbeard posted:

Honestly, if the accelerometer on my 2013 N7 hadn't just died, I wouldn't even be looking for a replacement any time soon (though I certainly wouldn't turn one down).

Dumb question, did you try power cycling it a bunch? I know that sounds completely braindead, but my accelerometer is also on the fritz, and while it was totally dead for a while, at some point it decided to start working again after a few shut downs/restarts/updates.

It still dies every so often, but power cycling brings it back 9 times out of 10, usually for at least a few days (more like a few weeks since I fried my usb port, since removing usb power was one thing that seemed to significantly up the risk of the accelerometer dying; my N7 thinks it's always plugged in now, so that doesn't happen anymore, though the sensor does still go eventually)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Finster Dexter posted:

It did? K1 is still $199 which it always has been. You using canadian funny money or something?

Nope, just shopping on Amazon, which seems to have 'em out of stock except for one rear end in a top hat who's overpricing his. You're right, it's still 199 everywhere else, just not the one place I actually have credit on account to use.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:same:

Dumb question, did you try power cycling it a bunch? I know that sounds completely braindead, but my accelerometer is also on the fritz, and while it was totally dead for a while, at some point it decided to start working again after a few shut downs/restarts/updates.

It still dies every so often, but power cycling brings it back 9 times out of 10, usually for at least a few days (more like a few weeks since I fried my usb port, since removing usb power was one thing that seemed to significantly up the risk of the accelerometer dying; my N7 thinks it's always plugged in now, so that doesn't happen anymore, though the sensor does still go eventually)

I've rebooted it a few times but nothing quite like that. I grabbed an app that lets me rotate at will so it's more a mild inconvenience than anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My n10 did that once and a factory reset fixed it.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
So, been thinking about buying my first tablet and leaning to the Nvidia Shield K1 for the time being. I would mostly be using it for media and streaming slow or turn based games from my pc. Anyone here have one and use the game stream function? How are the controls? How's the screen size? I'm really bad at judging sizes but small screens give me headaches. What sort of network would I need for the streaming? My wifi situation is awkward where I am right now.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've got an ACER Android tablet that I don't use anymore, so I was considering selling it. If I do a factory reset on the tablet, how likely is it that somebody will be able to somehow recover data or personal information?
I've heard horror stories about people selling phones only to have some creep recover deleted photos, etc. Should a factory reset do the job?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've got an ACER Android tablet that I don't use anymore, so I was considering selling it. If I do a factory reset on the tablet, how likely is it that somebody will be able to somehow recover data or personal information?
I've heard horror stories about people selling phones only to have some creep recover deleted photos, etc. Should a factory reset do the job?

A factory reset will do the job unless some state-level entity really wants to snoop on your tablet stuff. And if that's happening there's nothing you can do to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Encrypt the tablet before you factory reset it. Depending on how well Acer stores the keys, it may still be possible to recover stuff on it, but it will be a bit harder.