Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zotix posted:

Is vassal feeding just selling territories to a vassal? Or is that something separate?

It depends on which DLC you have. If you don't have any then yeah, selling is the only way to go most of the time. If you have Art of War you can transfer occupations to your vassals during wars, so they just get them instead of you in the peace deal. Additionally, if you have Cossacks, you can use the subject interactions to grant provinces without the prestige penalty of selling them. It's just a general term for giving land to your vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have art of war, but not cossacks. So I guess I'll just transfer occupations then during wars.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
So about Condottieri. I'm not saying that if you see your longtime ally snagging an OPM that borders you, you shouldn't be able to give that OPM your army as free mercs, nuke your ally, then immediately declare on the OPM and snipe it. I just kinda think that your ally should absolutely flip their poo poo.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Whenever I create a march it seems like they usually go for not military ideas... Playing as Muscovy, Ryazan went for economic ideas, which I guess helps them support a larger army, but they were already at their cap. Hell, even religious ideas would have been better to help them convert all of the Sunni provinces I'm feeding them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zotix posted:

You wouldn't take an early military idea? But the first few military tech's are very important? I'm a little confused.

This was way back, but basically, for the first several mil techs you want to be spending your military points on tech, not ideas. That's because gaining those crucial first few military tactics upgrades and new units will gain you a key edge on all of your neighbors. If you take a military idea set, you're spending your points on that instead of tech, so you fall behind, and honestly in the early game very few of the military ideas will outweigh the tech bonuses. Wait until your third idea group to consider a military set, because by then you're probably okay on the tech front and likely running up against escalating ahead-of-time penalties.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
So I just clicked Exit to Menu in my game, which for whatever reason replaced my save and its backup with blank files. That run was about as close to a world conquest as I'll ever get (Mehmet lasted 60 years, and by 1600 no other blob had formed to challenge me), so I'm a tad peeved. This was a new bug for me; though I was using local saves, I don't know if this could happen to someone using cloud saves (which I've had other major issues with).

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Gonna do a Poland playthrough for the 3 poland achievements (hussars/abs. monarchy/tech.) How hard is it to get 32 in each tech? Do I need to make sure to pick up the tech discount ideas or just kinda play it normal?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's a disturbing trend recently where a new expansion patch tends to sometimes, randomly eat saves. It happened with Cossacks and with El Dorado, and I mean fresh saves created after the patch. IIRC the "backup" save was created to try and address the issue after Cossacks, but obviously if a bug fucks up your backup then it doesn't do you any good

Playing the week or two after a patch is like rolling the dice, sometimes you're going to get burned

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Mahasamatman posted:

Gonna do a Poland playthrough for the 3 poland achievements (hussars/abs. monarchy/tech.) How hard is it to get 32 in each tech? Do I need to make sure to pick up the tech discount ideas or just kinda play it normal?

You'll be fine if you don't do something dumb in the last few decades. Assuming a VERY bad scenario, (0/0/0 seemingly immortal ruler, never westernized, and only enough cash for +2 advisors), you make enough points to pick up each tech as its time comes up. Just make the tech the goal and don't lose focus.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

thatdarnedbob posted:

So about Condottieri. I'm not saying that if you see your longtime ally snagging an OPM that borders you, you shouldn't be able to give that OPM your army as free mercs, nuke your ally, then immediately declare on the OPM and snipe it. I just kinda think that your ally should absolutely flip their poo poo.

This is loving beautiful :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ottos got a massive stealth buff:

Or I suppose it's actually a reversal of an earlier nerf.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

You should see the Turks and grogs getting upset on the Paradox forums. It's been good stuff.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
So me and a friend tried to play a multiplayer game with the new patch but every time we started a game my friends game would crash the moment he used the interface. We've tried verifying the game cache and I'm sure it's not our internet connection since we rolled back to the last patch and could lay that just fine. Any ideas?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it would be nice if the game gave you a warning if buying a tech level would increase your corruption. I don't like having to play a guessing game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So colonies can suffer unrest now even though you can't actively convert their religion until they are completed. I don't mind necessarily as long as the AI has to deal with it too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fister Roboto posted:

What does this mean. I'm fiddling around again after a failed Tunis so I'm just gonna go back to easy mode Ottomans.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

What does this mean. I'm fiddling around again after a failed Tunis so I'm just gonna go back to easy mode Ottomans.

The Turkish culture has been swapped around a few times.

For quite a while previous to this patch, Turkish was in a much smaller group with iirc Azerbaijani and Turkmen.

Now it's switched back into a group with all the Arabian cultures. This makes it MUCH easier for the Ottomans to eat the Middle East. Keep in mind that the Ottomans get a decision to move their capital and become an Empire once they conquer Constantinople. Being an Empire automatically makes you a cultural union... so Ottomans will have all of those Arabian cultures fully accepted very early on.

Edit: it will also make any Arabic culture vassals slightly faster to integrate although that's probably not a good strat for the Ottomans now that vassal blocking for overseas isn't a thing anymore.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mahasamatman posted:

Super easy, as long as you're not blobbing like a mad man. Which tends to make the game pretty boring, since you do a fair bit of sitting around, but whatevs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pellisworth posted:

For quite a while previous to this patch, Turkish was in a much smaller group with iirc Azerbaijani and Turkmen.

Now it's switched back into a group with all the Arabian cultures. This makes it MUCH easier for the Ottomans to eat the Middle East. Keep in mind that the Ottomans get a decision to move their capital and become an Empire once they conquer Constantinople. Being an Empire automatically makes you a cultural union... so Ottomans will have all of those Arabian cultures fully accepted very early on.

Edit: it will also make any Arabic culture vassals slightly faster to integrate although that's probably not a good strat for the Ottomans now that vassal blocking for overseas isn't a thing anymore.

Hell yeah! For me as a player. I've yet to really get too far into anything as a non Ottoman / Europe game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat I'm bummed they totally removed Shamanism, that was my go-to religion in custom nations games, it was vague enough it could apply to all sorts of beliefs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Interestingly, they also have the option to form Arabia now. Osmani Arabia?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

The Iberian Peninsula's worst nightmare coming true

Uh, the Fezzan Corridor achievement looks like it is going to take way longer than I expected since having 90%+ on those trade nodes means you would have to do something about the upstream pull from the colonizers and France is already lookin real scary

Also turns out raiding for slaves AND piracy makes people really, really upset at you. I'm sure my god heir will get assassinated within 3 years of taking the crown

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 7, 2016

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Little bug: all the African animist nations got switched over to Fetishist... except Ashanti, because they spawn around 1500. (Maybe Fulo too, I forget, but I haven't found them in my game yet :shobon: and I guess maybe Funj but maybe they're Coptic I forget)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Allyn posted:

Little bug: all the African animist nations got switched over to Fetishist... except Ashanti, because they spawn around 1500. (Maybe Fulo too, I forget, but I haven't found them in my game yet :shobon: and I guess maybe Funj but maybe they're Coptic I forget)

I think Funj spawns as Coptic, but they get an event to switch to Shia or Sunni pretty early on.

I wonder if they also forgot to change the Oromo migration event where it changes a bunch of your provinces to animist.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Your coring bug might have to do with the new Territory/State mechanic.

The more I play this new patch the more I dislike it, the Sailor mechanic is the only new thing that seems to be really good and that has the mothball bug.
- States/territories are horribly unbalanced because they are disconnected from culture, religion, development and hardcoded
- Merchant Republic nerf is the easy way out of the gov type imbalances, instead of fixing monarchies they choose to hard cap Merc Reps at 30 provinces.
- No more accessible gov types without estates (which I still regards as half finished and unfun)
- Instead of balancing out the techs and the value of monarch points they introduce a corruption slider
- making everything espionage even more random with a 5 year lock out instead of fixing the idea group and it's mechanics

In all of those choices they picked the easy way out, with a bad result. They would have to spend 3-4 months for a new patch to fix all the existing half done/buggy mess and then they couldn't actually charge money for it as DLC, because it wouldn't be new content.

EU4 is now in the state of World of Warcraft development where the quality dropped enormously ever since WotLK when the A-Team got moved to a new game and the B-Team has to maintain the existing one. These last patches, they are B-Team quality. The game would have actually been better off without them.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dibujante posted:

Westernization is somewhat nonsensical during this time period. ROTW was not noticeably behind until the mid to late 18th century. Russia ends this period as Europe's premier power and falls behind entirely inside of the Victoria time period.

I think the model case for the mechanic is supposed to be the Russian reforms of Peter the Great in the late 17th/early 18th centuries. That's pretty marginal, but it's hardly out of period (and it puts the lie to the idea that Russia only fell behind in the 19th).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait, why is there a corruption penalty for having "unbalanced" research? Is there some kind of in-game conceit for it or does it just exist to punish powergaming?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
This is the first EU4 expansion I haven't bought on opening day and I'm not really seeing any reason to pick it up later. It seems like it's just a bunch of random ideas that won't be fully integrated until EU5.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dibujante posted:

Westernization is somewhat nonsensical during this time period. ROTW was not noticeably behind until the mid to late 18th century.

I'd say the Americas not having guns, cannons, or hell, horses would count as being "noticeably" behind.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Someone mentioned this earlier but I'm just experiencing this now: the state/territory mechanic is a stealth nerf to anyone not in europe. It's really evident in one of my games in Africa. There are regions that total 9 development, and regions can range from 3 provinces to ~9. Half of the regions are partially in uncolonized land, but they're all 1/1/1 so you'd never colonize them unless you had nothing else as an option. The idea is cool in theory but the way it's implemented is crap.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 7, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Mahasamatman posted:

I did this forever ago (definitely before the Elective Monarchy was added in; I think before Art of War too?) and ended at 32/31/32 because I went crazy converting eastern Germany to Polish culture.

So uh, don't do that and you'll be fine.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think the model case for the mechanic is supposed to be the Russian reforms of Peter the Great in the late 17th/early 18th centuries. That's pretty marginal, but it's hardly out of period (and it puts the lie to the idea that Russia only fell behind in the 19th).

It might be neat if westernization forced you into some sort of country with a "modernists/traditionalists" scale, like Piety/Patriarch Authority/etc., sort of replicating the tensions between Slavophiles and Modernists in Russia. Even if you just pick one for a ruler and stick with it, there should be advantages (-tech cost) and disadvantages (a hefty +revolt risk and a ticking -legitimacy?) to westernizing or not westernizing that make it something worth considering on a cost/benefit scale instead of just based on your tech group ("probably don't bother westernizing as eastern tech or Ottomans, otherwise beeline for it").

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eej posted:

Wait, why is there a corruption penalty for having "unbalanced" research? Is there some kind of in-game conceit for it or does it just exist to punish powergaming?

Its to punish power gaming.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
But seriously how do I reform the roman empire?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you're referring to the decision not appearing, you need to hold Rome and be in the Christian/Pagan group for it to show up.

In terms of province requirements,

code:
Owns the following regions:
Italy, France, Iberia, Balkans, Anatolia, Mashriq
Owns the following core provinces:
Fez, Tunis, Cairo, London, Yorkshire, Zeeland, Vienna

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
From what I've seen the only requirements is holding Iberia, France, Italy, Hungary, Balkans, Greece, Turkey, Egypt and being Pagan or Christian. You cannot be the Holy Roman Empire or The Papal State.

Given how much land you need your best bet is probably France or if it's still doable Catholic Ottos. Castile might be an other good tag for it, altough their NIs might not be good enough to grab the entire med.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah the ideas are actually pretty mediocre for how much effort is involved.

e: oh I misread what you said. even so, I was surprised at them, they're sort of blanketly all-round good but still not strong enough to warrant switching from most of the countries that I'd think would actually be able to do it.

e2: unrelatedly, does anyone else have the issue with the launcher where, whenever a mod you're subscribed to updates, it gets automatically ticked to activate when you launch the game?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 7, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Its to punish power gaming.

Yeah a page or two back someone reposted forums comments from Johan that the unbalanced tech penalty is specifically to keep non-European nations from concentrating on Military technology in order to stay up to date with it, while falling behind on other tech. The intention is that Rest of the World nations should be behind Europeans on military technology.

Amusingly enough, the AI didn't seem to get that memo. Most/all of the AI nations I've run into appear to be focusing on Mil tech anyway and are several levels behind on Dip/Admin.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I said it before but the fact that it's a stated goal of EU4 to gently caress the rest of the world over pisses me off a bit. If you're gonna go with the extremely deterministic view of history (which I can understand given the complexity of putting anything else into abstracted game mechanics) in your historical sandbox game, at least balance the rest of the world's development to a not incredibly outmoded understanding of what it was like. It's eurocentric in the worst ways and makes me embarrassed whenever I try to recommend this game to my friends.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Koramei posted:

It's eurocentric in the worst ways and makes me embarrassed whenever I try to recommend this game to my friends.

It's pretty easy to slap the Balkan nationalists mods right in there though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thanqol posted:

This is the first EU4 expansion I haven't bought on opening day and I'm not really seeing any reason to pick it up later. It seems like it's just a bunch of random ideas that won't be fully integrated until EU5.

The expansion actually has some good stuff in it, like the new espionage system and naval missions. The lovely unfun stuff that only serves to hinder you - state/territories and corruption - are free "features".

• Locked thread