Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I don't know how but I completely missed the first person shooter part of that post. So as an actual answer I am hoping the new homefront is as amazing as the gameplay made it seem and is not the awful abortion that it is rumored to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CrashCat posted:

Wow, looks like I lucked out not reading chat thread yesterday

You can make this statement on pretty much any day and have it be true.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's still incredible to me that someone took Shadow Warrior, a racist Duke Nukem knockoff, and turned it into a pretty fantastic game! I am really looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2.

Plus it was nice to finally play as a videogame protagonist I could culturally relate to.

You know, because he was a retard goon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

Hello fellow gamers! What first-person shoot-em-ups are you looking forward to this year? I am most excited for Shadow Warrior 2 by Flying Hog Games and Space Hulk: Deathwing by Streum On Studio.

Semper games! :cool:
Dishonored 2 and Shadow Warrior 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CrashCat posted:

Wow, looks like I lucked out not reading chat thread yesterday

Good to know, I enjoyed Katamari Forever but I could use more stuff for my PSTV anyway. I'll look out for it on sale. I loved both PS2 games but I didn't like the Xbox 360 one much.

Also I think matcha makes a good hard candy flavor but is just kind of off tasting in other poo poo like Kitkats

Me & My Katamari I think got some poor reviews on release because it's hard to control on a real psp, but with a dualshock it works pretty well. And it's cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMtVu4tB64

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I hope maybe next week there won't be any soul-killing controversies-that-honestly-should-not-even-be-controversies in gaming.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There will be much in the way of soul-killing and collecting next week, my friend.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Me & My Katamari I think got some poor reviews on release because it's hard to control on a real psp, but with a dualshock it works pretty well. And it's cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMtVu4tB64

The guy who actually created Katamari Damacy left after We <3 Katamari which explains a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

There will be much in the way of soul-killing and collecting next week, my friend.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Guy Mann posted:

The guy who actually created Katamari Damacy left after We <3 Katamari which explains a lot.
That explains the whole thing to me.

Star Citizen is not going so hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeTw2DXfUE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

yeah, they sort of got worse over time after he left :(

i actually think the lowfi psp graphics fit a lot more than the later weird over-shaded hd graphics, too. katamari does not need a wood grain filter

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I remember finding it funny how the Penny Arcade guys made two actually pretty good RPGs with decent art and mechanics and then decided "nope this is too much work" and just made the other ones RPG-Maker garbage.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good anyways. I'd play them again.

It's because they dropped the original developers halfway through the series and went with lovely Zeboyd.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Unguided posted:

It's because they dropped the original developers halfway through the series and went with lovely Zeboyd.
It's because the original two games weren't even making their money back and they killed the series for good until Zeboyd showed up and offered to develop the final 2 games for about $113 and some change.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's because the original two games weren't even making their money back and they killed the series for good until Zeboyd showed up and offered to develop the final 2 games for about $113 and some change.

Aw gently caress, Lance Reddick is in Quantum Break? Now I actually have some interest in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaWa4ScfQXc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

I hope maybe next week there won't be any soul-killing controversies-that-honestly-should-not-even-be-controversies in gaming.

I agree, blueberry cheesecake is the superior Japanese kit Kat flavor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsumXLQunbk

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Grapplejack posted:

I agree, blueberry cheesecake is the superior Japanese kit Kat flavor.

Matcha 4 lyfe

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

here, this is a level in me&mykatamari. it's nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtU_iZp2WKo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

yeah, they sort of got worse over time after he left :(

I haven't played any of the Playstation ones after WLK, but Beautiful Katamari is still real good. It caught a lot of poo poo when it came out because :qq: ON DISC DLC :qq: but the DLCs are only a dollar, which adds a total of like $5 to a $20 game whose base game I believe is the same length as its predecessors.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

I remember finding it funny how the Penny Arcade guys made two actually pretty good RPGs with decent art and mechanics and then decided "nope this is too much work" and just made the other ones RPG-Maker garbage.

Episodes 1 and 2 were good anyways. I'd play them again.

Guy Mann posted:

It's more that they didn't sell very well because even back then Penny Arcade was a relic.

Neither is quite true. What happened was that the company PA was working with told them "Look, we have a lot of big money contracts right now, if we make episode 3 of your game we'd have to basically half-rear end it and not make it as good as the first two" and the PA dudes pulled out, not wanting to sell a lovely product. Then they teamed up with guys who only make lovely RPG maker products, who churned out overly-long, visually unappealing, overly complicated games that didn't really have the "you are playing the comic" feel of the first two.

I don't know how much the narrative had to be changed to accomodate the new mechanics, but the first two games had a fun "I am going on serialized adventures with this supernatural investigation agency" feel, something 3 and 4 completely abandoned in favor of THE BIG PLOT.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Neither is quite true. What happened was that the company PA was working with told them "Look, we have a lot of big money contracts right now, if we make episode 3 of your game we'd have to basically half-rear end it and not make it as good as the first two" and the PA dudes pulled out, not wanting to sell a lovely product. Then they teamed up with guys who only make lovely RPG maker products, who churned out overly-long, visually unappealing, overly complicated games that didn't really have the "you are playing the comic" feel of the first two.

I don't know how much the narrative had to be changed to accomodate the new mechanics, but the first two games had a fun "I am going on serialized adventures with this supernatural investigation agency" feel, something 3 and 4 completely abandoned in favor of THE BIG PLOT.

Did any of them sell well?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Did any of them sell well?

I dunno. I'd assume if PA can get a million dollar kickstarter funded for them to do absolutely nothing, they can probably sell some games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

here, this is a level in me&mykatamari. it's nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtU_iZp2WKo

you did it, you found someone even worse at Katamari than me...

oh that's you isn't it :ohdear:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Even regular chocolate KitKats are way better in Japan because they're made by Nestle and not Hershey. So drat good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CrashCat posted:

you did it, you found someone even worse at Katamari than me...

oh that's you isn't it :ohdear:

I am so incredibly bad at Katamari but who cares it is fun

roll roll roll

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

VoidBurger posted:

Even regular chocolate KitKats are way better in Japan because they're made by Nestle and not Hershey. So drat good

I wish the Green Tea Kit Kats made their way to Europe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VoidBurger posted:

You don't have to go to Japan for that, you can just come to Canada.

Although we do not have as much pachinko.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I am so incredibly bad at Katamari but who cares it is fun

roll roll roll
That was the thing I hated most about the later ones, they made the minimum requirements so high you couldn't afford to be bad at all, and if you were merely competent you got shat on. While the first one if you had an awesome run you felt awesome

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I'm friends with him on Facebook. He posts a lot of pictures of his new game and of his cute kid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The other thing I like about the psp Katamari is it has the original game's thing of the levels being set in this common setting that you see more of as you grow larger and have larger requirements. Later ones tend to have lots of bespoke levels and I don't like that as much. But maybe other people do!

Also the Prince makes a bunch of animal friends and that's cute

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Friendly reminder that all three of the Mega Man Legends games are on PSN now!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0G5LJ83cBc

This is a really good Gaming Remix.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Friendly reminder that all three of the Mega Man Legends games are on PSN now!

What a cruel way to phrase that.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Does anyone know how to fix a squeaky/creaky d-pad on a Dualshock 3

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The other thing I like about the psp Katamari is it has the original game's thing of the levels being set in this common setting that you see more of as you grow larger and have larger requirements. Later ones tend to have lots of bespoke levels and I don't like that as much. But maybe other people do!

Also the Prince makes a bunch of animal friends and that's cute
Yeah, it was awesome to work up from the room to the yard to rolling up the house and eventually that whole drat town, but being able to recognize features of it again at each size

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know the length of quantum break?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Eight hours apparently.

I have never heard of this game until today (but I did wonder what the thread title was referencing), and after reading a review I'm still not sure what it is: an action game with long live-action cutscenes?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Eight hours apparently.

I have never heard of this game until today (but I did wonder what the thread title was referencing), and after reading a review I'm still not sure what it is: an action game with long live-action cutscenes?

Starring Little Finger, Iceman, Merry, and Lance Reddick apparently, yes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The PC port is atrocious though in part because of Windows 10 Store, Son of GFWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

The PC port is atrocious though in part because of Windows 10 Store, Son of GFWL.

Nobody saw this coming and are genuinely shocked.

I get MS wants their own store platform to get a cut of stuff/not let Valve make money off stuff, but they seem entirely incompetent in doing so.

• Locked thread