Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pierson posted:

The Glacier Gun feels pretty nuts: Not only is it strong and bounces off walls but the small AOE it has on a hit destroys any bullets caught in it. It made the Beholster and Canonball-boss trivial.

Otoh the DPS is somewhat low for bosses. The best anti Boss weapon ive found so far is the railgun which absolutely destroys everything in very few hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

parthenocarpy posted:

All the good items are hidden behind unlocks with the boss credits. You have to sink a dozen hours into the game before you start unlocking the really helpful stuff.

I dunno about that, you can get a couple versions of invuln without unlocks. The hook has decent uses, and while the explosive items aren't game-winners they can carry rough rooms on the early floors.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I rescued a weird alien that spoke in a bunch of gibberish, do I need to anything with it while its here or can i just expect it to show up somewhere when i leave this floor.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

Otoh the DPS is somewhat low for bosses. The best anti Boss weapon ive found so far is the railgun which absolutely destroys everything in very few hits.

I've had great success with bosses with the mooninite gun that shoots the slow large squares. Any boss that chases after you will get destroyed. The sling is also amazing against bosses. Also anything that has bees.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Zaggitz posted:

I rescued a weird alien that spoke in a bunch of gibberish, do I need to anything with it while its here or can i just expect it to show up somewhere when i leave this floor.

You'll find him in shops later and after you buy a couple things from him, he'll show up in the main area where you can unlock new items for it to sell.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Bouncing bullets, backup gun, the Membrane gun. Everything dies in a hail of snot. Lovely.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Finally made it to the second secret level and died to the boss :negative:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

I dunno about that, you can get a couple versions of invuln without unlocks. The hook has decent uses, and while the explosive items aren't game-winners they can carry rough rooms on the early floors.

Sorry, I shouldn`t have used the word `good` there. There are, however, multiple DPS+ and heart related items behind credit unlocks that make the player significantly more powerful.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've literally never had the Pilot's lockpick work. Granted, that's out of a small sample size (maybe 12-15 times), but it's definitely made it so I no longer play him. It may be part of why I'm fine with the convict, at least you know what you're getting up front.

gently caress the Pilot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Contrarily, it has worked every single time I've done it. RNG is RNG. :shrug:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Doesn't it auto-reload?

The crossbow does auto reload, but that reload doesn't start until ~half a second after you fire a bolt. If you double tap, it begins reloading instantly. You get a much higher fire rate this way.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Bee hive + potion of gun friendship + chance to refire the projectile to a nearby enemy + kill pillars boss = single digit fps

At least it only took 5 seconds

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Bee hive + potion of gun friendship + chance to refire the projectile to a nearby enemy + kill pillars boss = single digit fps

At least it only took 5 seconds

But they say this game has no powerful synergies!

Just died to the stage 5 boss, on his final phase. What I would like to know in the future is the damage output of the weapons, I had a demon's head (whatever it's called), ten other guns of varying use, and the Beholder gun. I used the Beholder gun. Right or wrong?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ufarn posted:

FFS, why can't the elevator guy just say everything he needs up front, so I don't go on to spend bullets that he apparently requires. I hate that I have to rely on wikis and tutorials for this game sometimes.

The poo poo you give him persists between runs, you don't have to fulfill all 3 requests at once (or do them in any particular order -- if you have the other items on you, even if you haven't given him 3 blanks, he'll ask you for them)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RyokoTK posted:

Is quest progress persistent? I killed Blockner but I don't know what that does or if he respawns and I have to kill him in a successful run.

Just gotta talk to Manni and confirm your kill then they both hang out in the Breach being cool ghosts.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yo for real, what do you do against the Treadnaught because no matter what I do I always die against this thing. Cannonbalrog isn't much of a problem and I can even make it through floor 4 without much trouble, but Treadnaught is just a huge wall I can't get over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

goferchan posted:

The poo poo you give him persists between runs, you don't have to fulfill all 3 requests at once (or do them in any particular order -- if you have the other items on you, even if you haven't given him 3 blanks, he'll ask you for them)

Yes, but what he means is, presumably he had to go spend some money to get an item to deliver to the guy- only to find out that after delivering the item, he needed the money he spent for the next delivery. If he had known the requirements beforehand, he would have gotten it another way and been able to fulfill both.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Holy hell, the Pilots (end spoiler) past battle is insane. Caught me completely off guard.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Do you only have to build the bullet once or once for every character?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaodai posted:

I've literally never had the Pilot's lockpick work. Granted, that's out of a small sample size (maybe 12-15 times), but it's definitely made it so I no longer play him. It may be part of why I'm fine with the convict, at least you know what you're getting up front.

gently caress the Pilot.

Speaking of RNG, I don't use the hunter anymore because her dog literally never finds anything for me until I'm 30~40 rooms into the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaggitz posted:

Do you only have to build the bullet once or once for every character?

I think you're good after building it once.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lakbay posted:

Speaking of RNG, I don't use the hunter anymore because her dog literally never finds anything for me until I'm 30~40 rooms into the game.

I didn't even know the dog did anything. The description just says it grabs loot from rooms, I figured it meant a stronger loot vacuum once enemies died or something. I guess I just have horrible luck with the RNG based characters.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
people who like this game should check out Cryptark. its a procedurally generated derelict spaceship delousing simulator

technically in early access, but it's effectively fully featured already, with a full campaign mode and a pure roguelike mode for people who prefer that

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaodai posted:

I didn't even know the dog did anything. The description just says it grabs loot from rooms, I figured it meant a stronger loot vacuum once enemies died or something. I guess I just have horrible luck with the RNG based characters.

Loot doesn't disappear and is automatically vacuumed to your character regardless of the class. The hunter's dog is supposed to find extra pickups after you clear a room but like I said I never get anything extra. The only thing that you can lose is ammo pickups, guns on the floor, and active items on the floor since a rat comes by and steals it and even then there are ways to scare the rat off.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If the game didn't have teleporters the rat would honestly be a big step up over e.g. Isaac, because it cuts out the need to constantly backtrack to be "optimal".

But since teleporters are in I don't really get it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a way to cheat and unlock the secret characters? I want more variety but I don't want to slog through hoping to find a super rare spawn 5 times in a row to unlock a character. Once, maybe, but 5 times is just being a dick.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

Loot doesn't disappear and is automatically vacuumed to your character regardless of the class. The hunter's dog is supposed to find extra pickups after you clear a room but like I said I never get anything extra. The only thing that you can lose is ammo pickups, guns on the floor, and active items on the floor since a rat comes by and steals it and even then there are ways to scare the rat off.

The dog might actually be finding stuff and you're missing it. I didn't notice it for a bit, but the dog just digs at the ground really quick once the room finishes, so it's kind of hard tell if the room dropped the item or the dog found it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FirstPersonShitter posted:

is there a way to cheat and unlock the secret characters? I want more variety but I don't want to slog through hoping to find a super rare spawn 5 times in a row to unlock a character. Once, maybe, but 5 times is just being a dick.

What exactly do you need to find 5 times to unlock?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly do you need to find 5 times to unlock?

sometimes you'll see a bullet-kin wearing a red cape who doesn't shoot at you. kill every enemy in the room but him and then chill out with him for a few seconds. do this 5 different times to unlock a playable bullet-kin character

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

so far the first floor soundtrack is the best and I'm sad every time i progress beyond

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

goferchan posted:

sometimes you'll see a bullet-kin wearing a red cape who doesn't shoot at you. kill every enemy in the room but him and then chill out with him for a few seconds. do this 5 different times to unlock a playable bullet-kin character

Whats the % chance of finding that?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

AttackTheMoon posted:

like fuckin 0

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've got 10 hours under my belt and I have yet to see one.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AttackTheMoon posted:

No clue I just read about it. I'm sure before I knew about it I already found him 5 times and killed him each one, but now that I know what to look for I will never ever see him

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Good lord the Disintegrator is loving beastmode. And I was having a great run once until goddamn DOOR LORD mashed my loving poo poo in.

This game owns.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I have yet to see one of those either and I've put hours into the game already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yodzilla posted:

Good lord the Disintegrator is loving beastmode. And I was having a great run once until goddamn DOOR LORD mashed my loving poo poo in.

This game owns.

Try running the Disintegrator with Double Vision or a similar active. It's ridiculous.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Try running the Disintegrator with Double Vision or a similar active. It's ridiculous.

I wasn`t too impressed. Disintegrator takes over a whole second to wind up - perhaps two seconds - which gives you very little time to hit with it between huge waves of bullet waves, and double vision made it harder to aim from a distance. It did take out the third chamber tank boss very effectively and was a good opener for all other bosses, though. I scored this combo on the first level against the gun king boss and has almost no chance to use it beyond an opener because it takes too long start shooting.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Here's how I beat Treadnaught without taking damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9T1tvcx82g

All I really had that mattered to the fight was the meatboy gun and the passive that makes you shoot behind you as well. Best run I've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I love Nuclear Throne and I suspect I will love this.