Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I keep hovering over the buy button on the Voyage, but wasn't it due for a rumored refresh last Nov? I know eReaders are pretty basic but if there is a new panel or whatever on the horizon, I'd like to wait it out. Any news on that front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

hotsauce posted:

I keep hovering over the buy button on the Voyage, but wasn't it due for a rumored refresh last Nov? I know eReaders are pretty basic but if there is a new panel or whatever on the horizon, I'd like to wait it out. Any news on that front?

According to one of the ereader sites I read a while back EInk tends to release an updated display every 3 or so years and Carta was released in 2013 so the odds aren't terrible that an updated screen could be announced. If they did announce something soon it would still be a few months after that for any sort of Voyage 2 to be announced or available and it would most likely be an incremental update with a sharper screen and slightly faster refresh. I seriously doubt there would be any shake ups in the eReaders Amazon would put out with a better screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8one6 posted:

According to one of the ereader sites I read a while back EInk tends to release an updated display every 3 or so years and Carta was released in 2013 so the odds aren't terrible that an updated screen could be announced. If they did announce something soon it would still be a few months after that for any sort of Voyage 2 to be announced or available and it would most likely be an incremental update with a sharper screen and slightly faster refresh. I seriously doubt there would be any shake ups in the eReaders Amazon would put out with a better screen.

Carta came out in 2013, but Carta HD came out in 2014.

Really, it's hard to see what improvements beyond color we could see in the next high end kindle. The current Voyage has a resolution of 1430 x 1080, going up from 300ppi just isn't going to do a hell of a lot. The physical design of the thing is drat near perfect too, I have zero complaints about it.

I would not hesitate to buy a Voyage today. Realistically, there's not really much a refreshed one could offer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A better battery. Going from my Touch to Voyager, it dropped my time between charges by 50+%. I used to love charging once every 2 months.

(I keep wifi on to sync between devices)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only way it's going to get more battery life is by going thicker and heavier and putting a larger battery in it and that would sort of ruin the device.

It takes power to refresh a screen with that many pixels.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Only way it's going to get more battery life is by going thicker and heavier and putting a larger battery in it and that would sort of ruin the device.

It takes power to refresh a screen with that many pixels.

This. I also noticed a pretty big drop in battery life going from my prior PW to the Voyage, but since it's still the only device I have that isn't only a daily recharge schedule, I still find it refreshing :) I read a lot, but a lot of that reading is shared between physical books, the Voyage, and iPads so the Voyage still only ends up needing a top-off monthly.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

And still, compared to other devices like phones and tablets, having to charge once a week instead of every two weeks is hardly a huge inconvenience.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I would easily sacrifice a little bit of weight for a bigger battery.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
I want an e-reader with an e-ink display. Ideally a Kindle. I have 3 options:

1. First-gen Kindle. Gently used by a friend. $35

2. Second-gen Kindle. Used on the internet, around $70

3. Third-gen Kindle. New on Amazon, either $120 or $140, depending on how much a hassle the ads are (are they?)

If the first-gen one is good enough (I want to read novels and the bible, ideally), I'd opt for that. If the second- or third-gen ones make it much easier/more convenient, I'd get one of those.

If it boils down to second- or third-gen, which one should I opt for? Is a used one with a used battery a big problem? Is the third-gen that much of an improvement over a second-gen?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

I want an e-reader with an e-ink display. Ideally a Kindle. I have 3 options:

1. First-gen Kindle. Gently used by a friend. $35

2. Second-gen Kindle. Used on the internet, around $70

3. Third-gen Kindle. New on Amazon, either $120 or $140, depending on how much a hassle the ads are (are they?)

If the first-gen one is good enough (I want to read novels and the bible, ideally), I'd opt for that. If the second- or third-gen ones make it much easier/more convenient, I'd get one of those.

If it boils down to second- or third-gen, which one should I opt for? Is a used one with a used battery a big problem? Is the third-gen that much of an improvement over a second-gen?

If they're all Paperwhites, the first gen is pretty good, but the second gen is noticeably better. The third gen is another jump in quality, but not as much as first to second, IMO.

I'd probably go for the $70 option unless price isn't a concern, in which case go for the third gen.

Ads, by the way, are not that much of a hassle. The main thing is that they need to be swiped away every time you turn on the screen.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If they're all Paperwhites, the first gen is pretty good, but the second gen is noticeably better. The third gen is another jump in quality, but not as much as first to second, IMO.

I'd probably go for the $70 option unless price isn't a concern, in which case go for the third gen.

Ads, by the way, are not that much of a hassle. The main thing is that they need to be swiped away every time you turn on the screen.

Yes, paperwhites, thanks for the correction. Still waffling. Suppose I'll take a look at the first-gen one tomorrow, and if it's not to my liking, go for more likely the 3rd gen one.

Does anyone have experience buying used electronics? I'm just worried that someone got an entire lifetime of battery wear out of the thing and I'll end up with something that has like 20-30% original capacity.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Turns out I can get a gently-used third-gen off Amazon for $75, so I did that instead. Gonna pick it up at a locker tomorrow!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm being serious here:

I want an ereader for my legally obtained manga from either B&N or amazon so I can get rid of the physical versions.
Same goes for my giant list of unread books
And the most important is for reference and text books. Now I don't know if those come through as pdfs, that would be dumb.

the 9.6 samsung looks about the right size but then again I have ignored ereaders for a decade. Please help.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Herr Tog posted:

I want an ereader for my legally obtained manga from either B&N or amazon so I can get rid of the physical versions.
And the most important is for reference and text books. Now I don't know if those come through as pdfs, that would be dumb.

the 9.6 samsung looks about the right size but then again I have ignored ereaders for a decade. Please help.

Get an iPad.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Get an iPad.

okay but why and which size would you suggest?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Herr Tog posted:

I would honestly recommend a tablet, at least 10'' size, and run ComicRack on it. ComicRack is sort of like Calibre for your books - but it also has an on-device version that's the best comic reader out there if you have your own files. If you prefer to buy from Marvel or DC, they have their specific apps - but I prefer to do my own organization and storage, so CR fits the bill for me.

I think it's out on iOS and Android, but it might be Android only.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

okay but why and which size would you suggest?

Probably because it'll look better than E ink and I assume bigger screen is better. So like, an iPad Air 1 if you need a cheap one, an Air 2 if you want a more capable one.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Yeah kindles won't be good for manga because the screen is too small to display the whole page at once. Look into the kobo aura h2o. It's 5 by 7 inches while a manga page is 8.3 by 11.3 inches. It *may* be still readable at that reduction, possibly.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Manga was readable when I tried it on my gen 1 nook, but not exactly pleasant to read. Second the tablet rec, especially since you're also using it for reference and textbooks.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would honestly recommend a tablet, at least 10'' size, and run ComicRack on it. ComicRack is sort of like Calibre for your books - but it also has an on-device version that's the best comic reader out there if you have your own files. If you prefer to buy from Marvel or DC, they have their specific apps - but I prefer to do my own organization and storage, so CR fits the bill for me.

I think it's out on iOS and Android, but it might be Android only.

Okay, thank you. I guess I should take this to the tablet thread.

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably because it'll look better than E ink and I assume bigger screen is better. So like, an iPad Air 1 if you need a cheap one, an Air 2 if you want a more capable one.

That makes sense, thank you for mentioning the models.

hope and vaseline posted:

Manga was readable when I tried it on my gen 1 nook, but not exactly pleasant to read. Second the tablet rec, especially since you're also using it for reference and textbooks.

Thank you, any idea is my reference and text book want is even possible since text book companies are know assholes?

Present posted:

Yeah kindles won't be good for manga because the screen is too small to display the whole page at once. Look into the kobo aura h2o. It's 5 by 7 inches while a manga page is 8.3 by 11.3 inches. It *may* be still readable at that reduction, possibly.

I honestly think you are trolling me.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, Bezos just said that Amazon is announcing a new top-end Kindle next week. Please, please, PLEASE be the Voyage, but bigger.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992

smr posted:

So, Bezos just said that Amazon is announcing a new top-end Kindle next week. Please, please, PLEASE be the Voyage, but bigger.

I'd kill for a new DX with modern technology. Especially if they can figure out a way to make it not top heavy.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992

I'd kill for a new DX with modern technology. Especially if they can figure out a way to make it not top heavy.

The trade in value on Amazon for a Kindle DX is... $5 :stonk:

Sad indeed. That thing was ahead of its time.

Bring back the DX and release an updated Voyage Bezos! Especially before my $20 discount expires!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 5, 2016

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I started actually reading books again so if this one looks nice it will be very hard to not get it...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My eBook reading consists almost entirely of PDFs and technical manuals/books so PLEASE give me a DX that renders PDFs legibly at 100%

My PW does a good job but it's still too small for "comfortable" reading. I've reverted back to my iPad Mini. With a Retina display it is pretty good, but reading with a backlight is sub-optimal.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Martytoof posted:

My eBook reading consists almost entirely of PDFs and technical manuals/books so PLEASE give me a DX that renders PDFs legibly at 100%

My PW does a good job but it's still too small for "comfortable" reading. I've reverted back to my iPad Mini. With a Retina display it is pretty good, but reading with a backlight is sub-optimal.

Any reason you haven't delved into the world of BOOX, Icarus and the rest? The M96 is supposedly a decent piece of hardware.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Any reason you haven't delved into the world of BOOX, Icarus and the rest? The M96 is supposedly a decent piece of hardware.

No reason other than I didn't know they existed. I haven't really kept up with this thread and apparently I missed some good items!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I typically use 2 devices to read. My Voyager and the Kindle app on my iPhone.

I Calibred a book trilogy to my Voyager. They were MOBI and Calibre converted them to AZW3, then emailed them to my Voyager email address. Read the first 2 without issue.

For the third, whenever I read on my Voyager, it won't update the furthest page read when leaving the book or putting the device to sleep. If I go into the menu and try to sync manually, it gives me an error about not being able to update the furthest page read. So when I open it on my iPhone, it doesn't sync to the last page read on the Kindle. If I read on my iPhone, then do a manual sync, it doesn't give me any errors about not being able to update.

I've tried deleting the book from both devices, the Amazon cloud, re-emailed them from Calibre, re-converted it from MOBI to AZW3. This is the first book I've ever come across that is giving me these issues. The first 2 in the trilogy sync just fine. Anything else I can try?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WSJ is reporting that the new kindle will actually be thinner than the current Voyage that will come with a case with a built in battery.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/05/wsj-amazon-kindle-rechargeable-casing/

Apparently, there's also a solar power case in the works.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

WSJ is reporting that the new kindle will actually be thinner than the current Voyage that will come with a case with a built in battery.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/05/wsj-amazon-kindle-rechargeable-casing/

Apparently, there's also a solar power case in the works.

Sacrificing battery life to make it thinner so they can force you to buy a battery cover that makes it fatter sounds pretty terrible.

Solar case is an interesting idea but some company did that for the Kindle Keyboard and it added so much weight, it wasn't worth it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's supposed to come with the case.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I must be the only one that wouldn't care about battery life. Make it cheaper and don't include a drat battery case. I can charge mine every few days without issue, I don't live in a rainforest.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Michael Scott posted:

I must be the only one that wouldn't care about battery life. Make it cheaper and don't include a drat battery case. I can charge mine every few days without issue, I don't live in a rainforest.

But what about the impending apocalypse?!

That said... my wife is continually in a state of "my kindle is dead" any time she puts her Kindle 4 down. That thing's battery must last like 4 hours because if she's not on top of it, it's drained. If the new Kindle behaves the same way on battery, I'd be irritated.

My Paperwhite Gen2 gets about 3-3.5 weeks in airplane mode which seems to be a good timeframe for me. I only think to charge it about every other week.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

I agree. I think that for most people, the added comfort of a very small ereader outweighs the inconvenience of having to charge every day or two. It's not like I don't have a bunch of USB cables everywhere anyway!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't get the idea. If you have a case, you are already way thicker than the bare reader, so why do you care how thick the non case part is?

Like we have a first gen paper white and a voyage in the same flip-cover cases and you really can't tell they are different when the case is closed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

smackfu posted:

I don't get the idea. If you have a case, you are already way thicker than the bare reader, so why do you care how thick the non case part is?

Like we have a first gen paper white and a voyage in the same flip-cover cases and you really can't tell they are different when the case is closed.

Hello, person who thinks like me. I am a weirdo who prefers slipcases rather than things that permanently live attached to devices, though.

If I'm being a paranoid conspiracy theorist, I'd suggest it's because "it's time for a new Kindle" on the brand management calendar, and there's no way to sexify the device without making the battery life poo poo or the device less profitable, so you make the external battery a pack-in. That way, you get your media glamour shots of your pencil thin device, and alo get to claim the case as some sort of wonderful innovation.

On the plus side, it's a Kindle with a (sorta) replaceable battery.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's an attempt to create a USP in a market that basically doesn't have any.
I can certainly see the intended benefit of it being light 95% of the time you're using it, and then lasting longer if you're going away on hols, etc. Problem is people tend to work out carrying a USB cable is almost no effort regardless of destination, and just about everywhere in the world has a USB socket somewhere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hotsauce posted:

The trade in value on Amazon for a Kindle DX is... $5 :stonk:

It appears my first gen Kindle Fire is worth exactly nothing. :smith:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Khablam posted:

It's an attempt to create a USP in a market that basically doesn't have any.

A USP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mister Kingdom posted:

It appears my first gen Kindle Fire is worth exactly nothing. :smith:

I have a first gen nook I can't give away.