Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Barudak posted:

Look up a guide to get through the desert. The translation is wrong and following the guys directions will get you lost.

it was the one time having an Official Strategy Guide paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Try not to lose your poo poo and give up on the franchise when you get to that loving guy on the train. Actually, giving up is okay.

The boss of the train level breaks all of the rules that the game has established up to that point. Go on Youtube, see how to beat him, and get over the hump to where the game gets fun again.

As for Uncharted 3, gently caress the ballroom on the ocean liner. Whoever designed that sequence needs to be slapped. In fact, gently caress the entire graveyard of ships area. It's unnecessary padding to the story that exists only to show off Naughty Dog's physics engine.

Cutter is awesome.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Probottt posted:

Any tips for Breath of Fire III?

Masters modify a character's stat gains at level up. You essentially have to make the choice of whether you want to boost your characters' strengths or mitigate their weaknesses. Either is okay. If you can't make up your mind, there's a fairy master that provides +2 speed per level that's excellent for every character. You'll need to hit a rock into a pond to find her. There's a fish master that grants hp/sp bonuses that's great for the hero because you need sp to sustain dragon transformations. You need a bunch of points in the fishing minigame to unlock him.

Masters also teach skills if you stay with them for a certain number of levels. If you want to know how many levels or what the skills are you'll need a guide. Don't switch masters while training the master's skills. You need to gain levels consecutively for them to count. So if you need 8 levels with the master to learn a skill, you need to stay with the master for all 8 levels with the same character without changing masters (or dropping the master).

When doing dragon transformations, don't go nuts combining genes. The game wants you to, but that just makes transformations more expensive to maintain. Use defender for a standard dragon form, force for an offense-heavy form (my favorite), and an element as the situation demands it.

Watching enemies for their skills is occasionally useful but very frequently is a waste of your time. There's also a major randomness factor in whether you learn the skill. If you see a question mark over your head the skill is unlearnable; nothing means the skill is learnable but you didn't make the roll to learn it. An exclamation point means you learned the skill. Expect lots and lots of nothing if you try to learn skills.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Orvin posted:

I picked up the Uncharted collection. I see stuff on the wiki for Uncharted 1. Anything I should know for 2 or 3?

Do not play like a typical cover-based shooter. You're very mobile and should try to constantly flank dudes and get near them to punch them in the face. Sure, you're going to die more, but you're also going to have more fun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Probottt posted:

Any tips for Breath of Fire III?
As someone who is going through BOF3 for the first time right now I'd say:

-There is one Agility-boosting master early on in the game who requires you to hang on to at least 15 unique weapons, so don't sell any weapons, try to buy at least one of every type, and grab every chest. Agility is an important stat to boost for some characters so it helps to unlock her as soon as possible.
-In general though I've found myself compelled to consult FAQs constantly because otherwise I would miss like 90% of the masters. Basically keep an eye out for "?" locations on the world map or anyone who has anything remotely resembling a unique sprite.
-I'd say just skip learning enemy skills, too random and too many of them are crap. Very much something you'd need a guide to both know where to look for the skills and which ones are worth learning.
-The best way to get Skill Inks are trading Trouts and Rainbow Trouts to the fish merchant in the fishing spot near McNeil. You just need one of both and both can be caught nearby.
-The encounter rate is insanely high, get used to it.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 4, 2016

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Anything for Starpoint Gemini 2 ?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Since I've been playing through Divine Divinity:

1. Most importantly, make absolutely certain in the config that you set it to render through software, NOT Direct3D. Direct3D will make your character move like a tortoise and loading and save times will be excruciatingly long.

2. Quicksave often - there is no autosave and areas are pretty big and you can stumble upon camps with much harder boss mobs by accident.

3. I would suggest just picking up equipment with some color in their titles to sell. Those with white titles are just the base equipment. Especially in the beginning, you don't have all that much strength to carry things without being burdened. In addition, the merchants only have so much gold anyway, and they can run out pretty quick. And they don't seem to really restock all that often.

4. Drop a teleport stone next to wherever you decide to set up base camp then hotkey the drop and use stone so that you can teleport back whenever you need to. North of Rivertown, next to the Ars Magicana teleporter, is a pretty good place to set up shop since the teleporter can transport you all over the map and it's close to a bunch of merchant shops where you can sell off your loot as needed.

5. Teleporters are specifically linked to certain scrolls from the various races so if you can't activate it, you don't have the proper scroll yet. Whenever possible, you should try to activate them so you can get around the map quicker.

6. While the map will sometimes set up (red) flags for you, usually when a NPC lets you know they're marking something down for you, they're fairly few and far in between. Use the create a (blue) flag to set up your own notes so that you can actually find things whether that be a chest you can't yet unlock or a cave entrance. You can always delete them later when you no longer need them. Note that the flags only appear on the big map that you open up, not on the minimap.

7. Use ALT to highlight treasure and hidden doors.

8. Cheesiest combo: Deadly Gift (steel scorpion traps) + Aura of Command. Deadly Gift releases a steel scorpion at lvl X * 100 where X is some number of skill points that you invested into it between 1 and 5. Aura of Command lets you control X number between 1 and 5 of creatures. Using them together allows you to force the steel scorpion to follow you around instead of just wandering off on its own.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Any tips for someone who's about to play Dragon Quest Heroes? It should be delivered by the time I get off of work but there's a internet filter here that blocks everything tagged with "Games" (although not SA, thank god).

e: No mail was delivered to me yesterday for some reason, so no DQ:H. Enter the Gungeon is pretty fun though.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 5, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any tips for someone who's about to play Dragon Quest Heroes? It should be delivered by the time I get off of work but there's a internet filter here that blocks everything tagged with "Games" (although not SA, thank god).

e: No mail was delivered to me yesterday for some reason, so no DQ:H. Enter the Gungeon is pretty fun though.

- Important thing to note is that it's not really a Warriors game, more like a level-based action-RPG.

- In protection missions, make sure you take out at least some of the monster spawners, or you're going to get your poo poo kicked in by final waves that are just filled with powerful monsters

- Jessica is really useful with her ability to heal everyone - she never left my party.

- There isn't really any reason to 'save' monster coins. Throw one down whenever you want, feel free to discard them when you see something more powerful pop up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm playing a bunch of retro crap for fun (as I am wont to do), so I'd love anything for Final Fantasy 1 (NES version), 4, and 6 (SNES versions). Though I can also get a hold of a GBA version of some of them if they're worth it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Quiet Python posted:

The boss of the train level breaks all of the rules that the game has established up to that point. Go on Youtube, see how to beat him, and get over the hump to where the game gets fun again.

As for Uncharted 3, gently caress the ballroom on the ocean liner. Whoever designed that sequence needs to be slapped. In fact, gently caress the entire graveyard of ships area. It's unnecessary padding to the story that exists only to show off Naughty Dog's physics engine.

Cutter is awesome.

That bit in 3 is worth slogging through to get to the best setpiece in the entire series: a fuckoff huge military convoy vs nothing but you, a horse, an assault rifle, and the bro-est of bros Salim. :black101:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm playing a bunch of retro crap for fun (as I am wont to do), so I'd love anything for Final Fantasy 1 (NES version), 4, and 6 (SNES versions). Though I can also get a hold of a GBA version of some of them if they're worth it.

Definitely upgrade to Dawn of Souls. The original Final Fantasy has a bunch of stuff that will piss you off like all your actions are programmed so if a monster dies any character targeting them will do nothing. Too much has already been said about the other two, you can safely play them blind actually. Really hard to screw yourself in Final Fantasy. I guess it's important to note in FF6 your equipped esper gives a bonus when that individual character levels up.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Poison Mushroom posted:

for Final Fantasy 1 (NES version)

You get new hits at IIRC every 32 accuracy, which drastically improve physical damage, especially when that first extra hit rolls in and literally doubles output.

FIghter is the best class. Thief starts off weak but gets real good when it promotes. Monk also starts off weak but gets quadratically stronger with level while nude. Red Mage gets the best parts of Black Mage but most of the best parts of White Mage but also reasonable physical prowess. White Mages still have useful "put the team back together" spells that Red Mages don't get. Black Mages are functional but have a few issues because...

A bunch of poo poo works wrong. The spells TMPR, SABR, LOCK, and XFER do nothing. LOK2 buffs enemies. The INT stat does nothing. HEL3 has the same power as HEL2. The PURE spell costs as much as 68 PURE items and you aren't gonna get poisoned that much. AMUT is nigh useless as very few enemies even know MUTE and are unlikely to cast it. Running is extremely wonky due to bugs of which I forget the technical details.

When you get the Canoe you can visit the Temple of Trials (or whatever the NES version calls it) early. You're meant to come here after getting the Airship as you can't use the TAIL to change classes without it, but you can still loot the place for its items. Two in particular, the ZEUS gloves and the HEAL rod can be used as items in battle to cast spells for free, and really change up how your battles go from then on.

quote:

Slow works on about everything.

FF4 isn't a terribly complicated game besides. What version are you playing? The SNES version, dubbed FF2, removes a lot of commands so it's even simpler.

quote:

The core stats don't go up on their own, and only equipment or esper level up bonuses affect that. You don't really need the boosts though.

Sabin's Blitz command looks like they're fighting game inputs, with Aura Bolt being a qcf, but diagonal inputs are satisfied by pressing either direction, so you could go ddl or dll and get it. They don't care which way he's facing for back/pincer/side attacks. All of them but Pummel and Suplex are magical attacks btw.

There's a ton of ways to break the game's difficulty if you go looking. Gau's an interesting one because it requires a lot of research and some luck but he can really pay off by casting powerful spells for free while having extra resistances off of Rage.

On SNES version, physical evade is bugged. This causes the blind status to do nothing but impede Strago's ability to learn Lores (this game's blue magic) and makes the Magic Evade stat cover all dodging. This means less dodging in the early game, but plenty of ways to always dodge attacks that can miss in the late game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

al-azad posted:

Definitely upgrade to Dawn of Souls. The original Final Fantasy has a bunch of stuff that will piss you off like all your actions are programmed so if a monster dies any character targeting them will do nothing. Too much has already been said about the other two, you can safely play them blind actually. Really hard to screw yourself in Final Fantasy. I guess it's important to note in FF6 your equipped esper gives a bonus when that individual character levels up.

If you're going to upgrade to Dawn of Souls you might as well jump all the way to the PSP Anniversary Edition assuming you have access to it, even if you don't care about the bonus dungeon and superboss in it it, it has all the DoS stuff and it sounds and looks pretty snazzy to boot.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

If you're going to upgrade to Dawn of Souls you might as well jump all the way to the PSP Anniversary Edition assuming you have access to it, even if you don't care about the bonus dungeon and superboss in it it, it has all the DoS stuff and it sounds and looks pretty snazzy to boot.

Shame they never put this on PSN so I could grab it for my Vita. Think you can get it for smart phones but ehh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lucky to have gotten Final Fantasy IV complete. Crisis Core isn't even on PSN, I don't know wtf Square is doing.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

Lucky to have gotten Final Fantasy IV complete. Crisis Core isn't even on PSN, I don't know wtf Square is doing.

For real? God drat it Square Enix. Well I guess now I have even less incentive to pick up a Vita TV.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kanfy posted:

That looks like poo poo from an rear end and is probably the misguided step that led to the horrifying-looking Android versions of FF6 and friends

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That looks like poo poo from an rear end and is probably the misguided step that led to the horrifying-looking Android versions of FF6 and friends

eh, they're ok, the sprites at least have some depth here still vs WE ONLY HAVE 6 COLORS AND WE DONT KNOW WHAT SHADING IS that is FF:D and the phone ports

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

That bit in 3 is worth slogging through to get to the best setpiece in the entire series: a fuckoff huge military convoy vs nothing but you, a horse, an assault rifle, and the bro-est of bros Salim. :black101:

I agree, that setpiece is awesome.

Which is why I would have preferred to get to it sooner and not have to slog through the crappy section of Uncharted 3.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

When you get the Canoe you can visit the Temple of Trials (or whatever the NES version calls it) early. You're meant to come here after getting the Airship as you can't use the TAIL to change classes without it, but you can still loot the place for its items. Two in particular, the ZEUS gloves and the HEAL rod can be used as items in battle to cast spells for free, and really change up how your battles go from then on.

I remember being able to go through with the promotion and everything. You can skip past the volcano and go straight to the Ice cave to pick up the float stone (or whatever it's called) and get the airship early. Then you do the trials joint and hit up Bahamut.

Am I crazy, or is that a thing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You aren't crazy, that's how I always play the game! I mean, considering that the castle is actually easier than that lovely volcano.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Naw, you're bananas if you think that looks anywhere near as bad as those monstrosities.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Any advice for Wasteland 1?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Naw, you're bananas if you think that looks anywhere near as bad as those monstrosities.
Well, yes and no.

It's not offensively bad, but it absolutely does have this sort of "amateur sprite comic" look because there's not really a unifying aesthetic or palette or even much thought about how the sprites will stand out from the background.

It looks like everything was just made prettier for the sake of making it prettier, under the misguided assumption that if you stick a bunch of decent quality spiries together, you will automatically get a good looking game.

TL;DR: Everything looks good individually, but together, it's a mishmash with no artistic throughlines.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Katreus posted:

Any advice for Wasteland 1?

Other than play Wasteland 2 instead?

Previously when asked
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=557&perpage=40#post457082498
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=557&perpage=40#post457091319

Were the responses.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Any good advice for La-Mulana (the remake)?

I've gotten through a few areas so far (defeated the double-headed snake and the stone mecha). I love all the puzzles and hidden trinkets, but once I found the teleporting grail (would've been nice to have that right at the start!), I knew this game is NOT afraid to hide essential gadgets. So I'd like some pointers about stuff that removes tedium, or permanently missable stuff. I really like figuring out all the little bits (drat I'm glad I bought the glyph decoding app on a whim), but I don't want to run into the danger of missing massively useful items like the teleporting grail... The wiki for this seems a little sparse!

Any tips?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

I've gotten through a few areas so far (defeated the double-headed snake and the stone mecha). I love all the puzzles and hidden trinkets, but once I found the teleporting grail (would've been nice to have that right at the start!), I knew this game is NOT afraid to hide essential gadgets. So I'd like some pointers about stuff that removes tedium, or permanently missable stuff. I really like figuring out all the little bits (drat I'm glad I bought the glyph decoding app on a whim), but I don't want to run into the danger of missing massively useful items like the teleporting grail... The wiki for this seems a little sparse!

Any tips?
Theoretically, there's a clue in the game for every puzzle.
That being said the puzzles can turn absolutely insane, don't be afraid to consult a walkthrough.
Also suffering through the secret area isn't worth it in the slightest.
I don't think there's anything permanently missable, though.

edit: Might as well throw mine in: anything for Victor Vran? I'm playing it alone, is it beatable that way or does it absolutely require co-op?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Torquemadras posted:

Any tips?

I don't have a firm remembrance of how many things are permanently missable, but it's not many. I know there's one major upgrade you can screw up getting and a few minor items and achievements, but honestly considering you're always going to be grail warping between save points, you should never be without a recent save in case something completely disastrous happens.

The one big thing that can have a lasting impact is a tablet in the Tomb of Giants telling you to not read it again. If you ignore the warning and read it again, it locks you into hard mode which makes things far more of a pain than they need to be, to the point where if you did trigger it you're probably better off restarting from scratch than trying to fight through it as a first playthrough.

Other than that, so much of the game is based on figuring out obtuse puzzles and exploring that I can't think of anything that wouldn't spoil some of the fun or be hard to describe out of context. Broadly speaking, I don't think there's any shame in looking at a guide for the Gate of Illusion in particular. Some of the puzzles in the game are just dumb.

The thread is also still active, so you can always pop in and ask for some more gentle hints if you get stuck and don't want to resort to just looking it up.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 7, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Torquemadras posted:

Any tips?
I didn't do this, because I am weak and wound up consulting a walkthrough by the end, but if you do try to do it "for real" I'd get a physical notebook and write down everything, don't use the in-game text storage thing because it is both too small and you need to be able to organize where each thing was for puzzle context.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I didn't do this, because I am weak and wound up consulting a walkthrough by the end, but if you do try to do it "for real" I'd get a physical notebook and write down everything, don't use the in-game text storage thing because it is both too small and you need to be able to organize where each thing was for puzzle context.
No kidding.
Write down tablets, copy drawings and murals. A bunch of them is used for multiple puzzles, too.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Torquemadras posted:

Any tips?

I don't think they're permanently missable, but there are two upgrades obtained from rooms/puzzles that are a pain to reset if you save after getting them wrong. One is right after a miniboss that throws rocks at you, and the other involves balancing multiple gems.

You don't technically need either, but they're nice quality-of-life upgrades. If you botch either of them, immediately revert to your last save.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Random Hajile is right about the missables, but you really don't want to gently caress up getting them due to how the mechanics of retrieving them works. It's ultra late game by the time you can recover those items and it's not worth the effort by then. If I recall it's either through some fairy door shenanigans, or Hell Temple? it's been a while.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Woah. I gotta say, that's all a little daunting. The hardest puzzle so far was the one with the various giant statues in the Mausoleum, and even that one could easily be brute-forced by basic Zelda logic ("Switching between moon/sun/star has gotta do something, and those giants are obviously important, so I'll just try each and visit them all" :downs: )... But it looks like that's NOTHING compared to later levels. Thanks for the tips.

Guess I'll bust out the ol' notebook! I'm unreasonably hyped for this. I'm kind of reminded of Demon's Souls here... They're not very similar, but after a short while of watching videos, I immediately go I CAN'T WATCH THIS, I MUST EXPERIENCE IT and buy the gently caress out of it. Trapped puzzle dungeons are totally my jam.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Feel free to chronicle your gradual descent into insanity.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So I've never heard of La Mulana before but after reading that stuff about it it just got added to the stuff I need to get at some point.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

juliuspringle posted:

So I've never heard of La Mulana before but after reading that stuff about it it just got added to the stuff I need to get at some point.

It scratches that Metroidvania itch for sure. The game does not gently caress around, though. It can be very obtuse and it loves to kill you in bullshit ways. Looking forward to its sequel.

Torquemadras posted:

Woah. I gotta say, that's all a little daunting.

Some of the puzzles are a bit of a stretch and you will eventually hit some walls. To help offset this, keep the following in mind:

-Always answer your emails and return to the surface when requested.
-Holding Down is required for one puzzle.
-There are images in the background that you must scan.
-Look where objects are pointing/staring at.
-There's a lot of backtracking. Keep a mental note of what important person/figure/statue/door is in what location.
-Constantly be hitting walls where it's safe to do so.
-Always stock up on weights and be careful where you place them as the game loves traps.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I was going to ask about Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13, but I don't think anyone can really prepare me for those

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Losing is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I was going to ask about Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13, but I don't think anyone can really prepare me for those
Dwarf Fortress
- Losing is fun! You'll die. A lot. Figuring out why and what to do better next time is half the fun.
- Get whatever version of the Lazy Newb Pack for Dwarf Fortress is called. The tilesets are quite pretty and do a lot to assist with getting into it.
- Do bring several breeding pairs of dogs (they can be trained into war dogs, which you can and should assign to all your dwarves, especially the ones that work outside), but don't bring breeding pairs of cats. A catsplosion may not kill your fort, but it will kill your framerate.
- Make sure you embark somewhere with trees, stone, and hopefully some metal, but :siren: without any aquifers :siren:. There are ways to get around all of this but it makes things much easier if you don't have to. I'm pretty sure one of the Lazy Newb Pack options is removing aquifers entirely from world generation. That's not a bad idea at all.
- You can manually enable/disable task types ("labors") on a per dwarf basis regardless of their actual job.
- When you get your first wave of migrants, make one a stone crafter, make him a workshop, and set him on making stone crafts on repeat. He'll use up all that loose stone you've got lying around and make kitschy tourist trap stuff that you can unload on the trade caravans for lots of stuff you actually need.
- Booze needs empty wooden barrels or stone pots. Go for stone pots as you will very quickly have way more stone than you know what to do with.
- Keep a variety of booze on hand. Your dwarves get grumpy if they have to just drink Miller Lite Plump Helmet Wine all day every day. Strawberry Wine is a great choice if/when you get some above ground farms or trade with the elves going.
- Don't be afraid to keep the wiki open, especially at first. The game can be pretty obtuse at times.