Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

jivjov posted:

Even if you're not going to sunlight power them to ashes, I thought Ripple stuff still made you hit harder
Nah it's not like Nen from Hunter x Hunter, it's energy similar to the sun's rays caused by your own breathing that specifically counters the Stone Mask cause like Hamon gives life and the Stone Mask takes it away or something?? But also it affects the Pillar Men's weird goo bodies and I dunno, Araki thought that would be cool and it was.

I just finished re-reading Part 1, I should remember the specifics but that's basically it. Part 1 is still good btw. Araki killing off Jonathan is still the dopest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

jivjov posted:

So why does Old Joseph hardly ever bother to use Hamon? He trots it out a couple times, but I would think it would supplement his Stand abilities quite well

:effort:

This is pretty much the canon answer I believe.

On Joseph's part, not Araki's. Joseph is canonically lazy as hell and pretty much immediately stopped keeping up with his Hamon training after beating Kars.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even if the Ripple did make Joseph hit harder it's not like he is getting into a whole lot of straight fist fights in Part 3.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RaspberryCommie posted:

:effort:

This is pretty much the canon answer I believe.

On Joseph's part, not Araki's. Joseph is canonically lazy as hell and pretty much immediately stopped keeping up with his Hamon training after beating Kars.

Can't be training; too many extramarital affairs to be having.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Moltrey posted:

Nah it's not like Nen from Hunter x Hunter, it's energy similar to the sun's rays caused by your own breathing that specifically counters the Stone Mask cause like Hamon gives life and the Stone Mask takes it away or something?? But also it affects the Pillar Men's weird goo bodies and I dunno, Araki thought that would be cool and it was.

I just finished re-reading Part 1, I should remember the specifics but that's basically it. Part 1 is still good btw. Araki killing off Jonathan is still the dopest poo poo

The entire ending of part 1 is still so good.

"Ahh, nice happy ending where Jonathan and Erina sail off into the suns-AW gently caress NOT AGAIN"

I watched the first 4 episodes of part 2 earlier. Part 2 is definitely the part I remember least about, so I'm getting surprised all over again. Joseph straight-up hauling rear end away when Straights gets back up is still the best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The realer reason is that Stands coming in kinda changes the series from a beat-em 'up to some sort of puzzle action, so unless the answer to a puzzle is "punch harder" there's rarely any real use for hamon since victory is more often decided by figuring out the foe's powers and how to exploit a weakpoint. Like The Sun, all of Joseph's Hamon overdrives would've done nothing since all they needed to do was figure out how the Stand user was withstanding his own Stand's effect and targeting them.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

jivjov posted:

So why does Old Joseph hardly ever bother to use Hamon? He trots it out a couple times, but I would think it would supplement his Stand abilities quite well

He's terrible at keeping up with his training. If he wasn't naturally gifted at using it he'd probably have lost the ability entirely by the time Part 3 happens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

"Ahh, nice happy ending where Jonathan and Erina sail off into the suns-AW gently caress NOT AGAIN"

Part 1 is just really good overall. The first 3 episodes of the show/first couple volumes of the manga (up to Dio becoming DIO) might still be my favorite stretch of JoJo overall.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like people forget this important character trait of Joseph Joestar

he didn't want to train when his loving life was at stake, like loving hell he would train after he basically just killed a god and got married.

Jonathan embracing Dio's head as he dies is some of the coolest character poo poo in JoJo

I also love how Dio constantly has some new vampire power, like shooting his eye liquid or using his hair to move around or being able to push his body back together after being split in half. The Tarukus fight was probably least favorite thing on a re-read, but the anime made that the coolest poo poo with Zeppeli walking to his fate to Roundabout.

Part 1 is still quality JoJo and I look forward to re-reading Part 2 when those JoJoniums come out

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Part 4's probably going to be the show where people will stop wanting the ripple back. Next episodes probably a good indication of how stands are going to be used for the rest of the series

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

Even if you're not going to sunlight power them to ashes, I thought Ripple stuff still made you hit harder

I think that's more Jonathan and Joseph being brick-shithouses. He actually does use it to pick himself up at the climax of the Mariah fight, at least in the anime, but otherwise it's uses are kind of niche, and it Joseph is lazy and hasn't practiced it for 50 years, so he's lost whatever fine control over it he had in BT. And even then, he was probably the weakest of the Hamon users in terms of his direct skill with it, which is why he always made up for it with shenanigans.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hoobajoo posted:

I think that's more Jonathan and Joseph being brick-shithouses. He actually does use it to pick himself up at the climax of the Mariah fight, at least in the anime, but otherwise it's uses are kind of niche, and it Joseph is lazy and hasn't practiced it for 50 years, so he's lost whatever fine control over it he had in BT. And even then, he was probably the weakest of the Hamon users in terms of his direct skill with it, which is why he always made up for it with shenanigans.

True. The true power of the Joestar bloodline is the ability to fabricate absolute horseshit from thin air.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Clearly what Joseph needed was the awesome power of the zoom punch

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Part 4's probably going to be the show where people will stop wanting the ripple back. Next episodes probably a good indication of how stands are going to be used for the rest of the series

Yep. People are not gonna care when they see what Araki has up his sleeve.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

hoobajoo posted:

And even then, he was probably the weakest of the Hamon users in terms of his direct skill with it, which is why he always made up for it with shenanigans.

Yeah I believe Araki stated at some point that Lisa Lisa was a lot stronger than Joseph and way more skilled with the Ripple, and that he regrets writing her in such a way that she basically did nothing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I remember staring blankly at the screen when Dio killed Jonathan and wondering why this guy was so determined to be an rear end in a top hat.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

Hamon is the magic super power of the first two parts, so it get fluffed around a lot, and then stands are the super power for the rest. Joseph's stand combines with his ripple real well in theory, but the point of part 3 was to introduce stands, not drag the old super power around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DamnGlitch posted:

Hamon is the magic super power of the first two parts, so it get fluffed around a lot, and then stands are the super power for the rest. Joseph's stand combines with his ripple real well in theory, but the point of part 3 was to introduce stands, not drag the old super power around.

Eh, having Joseph use Hamon to supplement his Stand would have been a decent way to transition, rather than almost completely dropping it. But Stands are super cool and I'm not that fussed about it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I feel like people forget this important character trait of Joseph Joestar

the irony of this is his occupation in part 3 :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 7, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember staring blankly at the screen when Dio killed Jonathan and wondering why this guy was so determined to be an rear end in a top hat.

It really drives home "Dio is just the biggest rear end in a top hat, and will continue to be an rear end in a top hat for the sake of it".

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

Eh, having Joseph use Hamon to supplement his Stand would have been a decent way to transition, rather than almost completely dropping it. But Stands are super cool and I'm not that fussed about it.

Oh I think so too, it's just not how things went down.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
You think the fangirls will be heart broken when they finally gaze upon part 4 joseph? :smith:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Race Realists posted:

You think the fangirls will be heart broken when they finally gaze upon part 4 joseph? :smith:

We'll be preoccupied by 4taro, don't you worry

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jivjov posted:

the problem with the ripple is that it's way too open ended. can you climb with it? yes! you can also walk on water, make gliders out of leaves, mind control people and animals, somehow channel it through cliffs to stop purse snatchers, make spaghetti sharp enough to pierce glass, make barriers out of hair, make remote control bubbles, and more.

it's just way too undefined a power and it makes for a poorer story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Condiv posted:

the problem with the ripple is that it's way too open ended. can you climb with it? yes! you can also walk on water, make gliders out of leaves, mind control people and animals, somehow channel it through cliffs to stop purse snatchers, make spaghetti sharp enough to pierce glass, make barriers out of hair, make remote control bubbles, and more.

Yeah, I was starting to notice that in the latter bits of Battle Tendency. It was basically just DBZ ki. Breathe right and you have this undefined energy that you can do....STUFF with.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Race Realists posted:

eh, i don't find there to be any guys worth fangirling over for a couple more parts

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Race Realists posted:

I gaze upon him and wish he were my grandpa instead. My actual grandpa cheated on grandma inside their home and she retaliated by pouring hot oil on him and chasing the mistress away with the pan.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Does Butterfly count as late 90s?

Edit: owned by sony drat

Lessail fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 7, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Condiv posted:

Not to mention Ripple only really works effectively on vampires and DIO was the last surviving one.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Sending arcs of hamon through Suzie Q would have apparently killed her, and she was only okay when Caesar and Joseph simultaneously shot her with "opposite polarity" hamon. This just furthers the point that Hamon was a vague power which could be made to do anything Araki needed it to do, yet still constrained the story to having to mostly be about fighting enemies who can only be encountered indoors or at night, and whose main strategy to use against the heroes will always be "block their ability to breathe or restrict their circulation."

He then decided he wanted to do psychic powers like X-Men, except he'd have the powers represented by punch-genies. so the first few stands he made were telekinesis (Star Platinum), Pyromancy (Magician's Red), Clairvoyance (Hermit Purple) and possession (Hierophant Green). Then the next one we see is just.......a flying bug that moves fast. And after that he begins to branch out into having stands which will create a unique scenario our heroes have to adapt to, like a puzzle. Often the stories will be lifted from horror movies or short stories, likd Child's PLay (Ebony Devil), the movie Duel (Wheel of Fortune), and some others i probably forget.
Oh and Silver Chariot is just also telekinesis but in a more stabby way.

There's even a stand in this part that's a sort of a simple power concept but is made more elaborate by the fact that it's done by a stand and not just something the user waves his/her hands and does. I will elaborate no more.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 7, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention Ripple only really works effectively on vampires and DIO was the last surviving one.
firing bubbles that are sharp enough to cut pillarman skin is pretty good for the whole 'effective on living things' bit since that probably kills people dead. too bad that's not joseph's technique
anyhow hamon being bullshit total nonsense magic is why it's the best anyways

it's just a shame that joseph never gets to shine in a way that's similar to his pt2 self, though empress was an attempt at that

actually the biggest shame is that they didn't play overdrive/any of the pt2 'joseph is about to own someone' songs during the climax of the empress fight

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Accordion Man posted:

Wrong; I'm pretty sure Araki's still around.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

My actual grandpa cheated on grandma inside their home and she retaliated by pouring hot oil on him and chasing the mistress away with the pan.

ditto on the cheating (I have a half-aunt I rarely ever see). I guess its just a baby boomer/silent generation thing

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

Except this is exactly what happens it, he uses Hamon sparingly, but at least 3 times, spaced out over the entire arc. I think the problem is more Stands are a little unexciting at start, and I don't think Araki really hit his stride with them until Egypt. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good fights before that, but there's a lot of experimentation going on, and experiments by their nature don't always work out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There's actually a very convincing theory out there that Hermit Purple is the endform of Hamon so, technically, Joseph was using Hamon constantly, just not how we're used to seeing it.

I won't yak on about the transition from Hamon to stands in this thread though. Did enough of that the last time around.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think there is something to that though, with jonathan's body posessing another hermit purple like stand and he being the only other "living" being that practiced it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holly's Stand seemed to be going off the same vine motif as both Hermit Purples, so maybe if she did some Ripple training she'd have a similar Stand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

i think there is something to that though, with jonathan's body posessing another hermit purple like stand and he being the only other "living" being that practiced it
I don't have the link on hand, but Araki has confirmed in an interview that the Hermit Purple we see Dio using in Part 3 is actually Jonathan's "Stand," or would have been had he lived. The fact that both Joseph and Jonathan would've shared a stand is the main thing lending credence to the theory. It also explains how Dio knew exactly what to watch out for when dealing with Joseph: he couldn't use Hamon, but he had an understanding of how Hermit Purple operated. Compounding this, in the official VIZ translation at least, Sendo, the art of actually using Hamon, is known as "The Way of the Hermit."

It also means that the World is Dio's stand and not Jonathan's, as is sometimes speculated.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 7, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Are the Hermit Purple-alikes the only Stands that don't have an anthropomorphic form of some kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No, there are several others; a few even in Part 3.

• Locked thread