Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Now that brings us to the Second World War.*
*rolls in the av cart, puts on saving private ryan, and goes for a quick huff of aeresol in the teachers lounge*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oldpainless posted:

If its a basic high school class, only the most basic of info is covered that isn't directly tied to America's role in the war. And the reason its written that way is because history is written by the winners.

Which is America. The Brits or Russian could have written the books if they had won the war.

Your avatar + posting style are killing me here, man. I just keep picturing the Rock sticking his head in and making comments.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Exactly. I only recently learned that much of the Allies' technological superiority came from Britain.

Good job England. You helped.

We broke Enigma :argh:

Well, the Poles did most of the preliminary work

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Otisburg posted:

I know someone personally who was certified to teach history at the high school level who did not know who the principle belligerents of World War II were, as far as naming them and correctly lining them up on Team Axis and Team Allies.

I'm not talking about the names of generals and cabinet members or the dates of battles or the political situation in every minor power or relative minutia, I'm talking the Big Five.

VIGILANTE JUSTICE IS THE ONLY KIND OF JUSTICE WORTH HAVING

If you can't take the law into your own hands, then the law isn't worth obeying. If you can’t deal justice yourself, then there is no certainty that things will ever be put right.

All governments fear vigilantes; not because the officials are afraid that there might be a periodic miscarriage of justice (after all, the state-run legal system has plenty of that); instead, the establishment is frightened of vigilantes because they threaten the job security of the bureaucrats. A judge doesn’t care about making the right decision; instead, the magistrate is worried about protecting his lifetime appointment.

A vigilante no more needs official authority to do justice than an ordinary believer needs ecclesiastical authority to say a prayer. Authority is merely the way that an entrenched hierarchy justifies their own position.

Vigilante justice is effective justice. Vigilantes deal in direct justice, an immediate type of restitution doesn't need to be mediated through a bureaucracy. You don't need your basic human need for retribution to be dissipated and diluted through the institutions of the state. You don't need some government employee like a judge to tell you what is right and proper. Vigilantes instinctively know what needs to be done – they don’t need a legal precedent to tell them what is just. Unlike your local police force, you won’t see any incompetence at a public lynching. Vigilante justice is just common sense through the barrel of a gun.

Vigilante justice is swift. Citizens have no desire to waste money keeping a prisoner on death row for a couple decades. Restitution is quick in the vigilante system. It saves time if a vigilante court would also carry out the execution that same day. Vigilante justice does not keep the victim waiting in suspense for redress.

Vigilante justice is dead certain. When citizens take care of lawbreakers, no evidence is excluded because of some technicality – the eye-witness testimony of a victim is good enough. Vigilante justice is not a matter of finding the best lawyer; instead, justice is merely a matter of eliminating the criminal. It is not necessary to create a prison industry if the vigilantes are allowed to do justice.

Vigilante justice doesn’t need attorneys. You don’t need to maintain a parasitical class of lawyers in a vigilante system; you don’t need legal representatives whose only role is to muddle the proceedings. You don’t need an advocate if you can take care of things yourself. Vigilante justice does not need a mediator.

If someone steals one of your prized possessions, it really isn’t necessary to involve the state. If the injured party is permitted to attain retribution directly from the criminal, harmony can be restored without creating a criminal-justice establishment that requires a constant supply of fresh victims. Government only manages to insure that restitution remains impossible.

Vigilante justice does not create a police state. Armed vigilantes dispense the truest form of justice. When the state fines a criminal, the money does not go to the individual whose property has been pilfered; instead, that money goes to the government, not the actual victim. Vigilante justice does not require the creation of an ornate administrative complex.

Vigilantes don’t have fragile self-esteem like members of a police union; vigilantes don’t constantly need to be told what a great job they are doing like government officers. You don’t find vigilantes patting each other on the back and calling each other “special” like secret police agents. Taking justice into your own frees society from all the sanctimony self-righteousness of law-enforcement bureaucrats.

Even though crime might be declining in the country, the criminal-justice industry is always growing. If the police cannot steal enough resources from genuine criminals, they will find a way to extort money from peaceful citizens. When the vigilantes seize power, the law-enforcement institutions will not able to steal property through asset forfeiture, and the police officers will not be able fill their quotas with bogus arrests. The state will not benefit from the actions of the criminal when citizens take the law into their own hands. Vigilante justice does not enrich a law-enforcement industry.

Vigilante justice is focused on the individual, not the institution. The person who is directly wronged is able to attain redress personally in a vigilante system. When a murderer needs to be punished, a family member is able to extract the desired revenge himself. Vigilante justice is personal and direct.

Vigilante justice is not corrupt. Unlike a judge on the take, vigilante justice cannot be bought. Vigilantes don’t take bribes to let the criminal get away with murder. You don’t need your restitution to be interrupted by a prosecutor’s need for campaign contributions. Vigilante justice may be brutal, but vigilante justice is not done in back-room deals.

Vigilante justice is without mercy. Vigilante justice won't be distorted by bleeding hearts feeling sorry for the criminal. Vigilantes don’t need to give the criminal any second chances; they get things right the first time. Compassion is not wasted on those who do not deserve it. Vigilante justice is pure and without leniency. Vigilantes do not go around making exceptions.

So what if the posse might occasion ally string-up the wrong person? Human life is enormously over-rated and the world is exceedingly overpopulated. Even if the vigilantes might occasionally make a mistake – at least they will always err on the side of giving the world a bit more breathing room.

The state justice system needs professional criminals to keep themselves in business. Experienced lawyers require experienced outlaws. Only vigilante justice will eliminate the criminal class and the law-enforcement complex at the same time.

The Old Western idea of the rifle above the door is the most efficient system of justice ever devised.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

We broke Enigma :argh:

Well, the Poles did most of the preliminary work

Yes, but it was an American raid that got the machine in the first place, according to the American film.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

If its a basic high school class, only the most basic of info is covered that isn't directly tied to America's role in the war. And the reason its written that way is because history is written by the winners.

Which is America. The Brits or Russian could have written the books if they had won the war.

Interestingly enough, most accounts available to the Western world for decades came from former German officers. "History is written by the winners" is very much incorrect.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Otisburg posted:

*rolls in the av cart, puts on saving private ryan, and goes for a quick huff of aeresol in the teachers lounge*

:allears:

Anyway, someone post some content. I've had a long day and I want to laugh at some bad Facebook posts.

e: Like this one

??? what

cash crab has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Apr 6, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Laurenz posted:

I'm still amazed how many people don't know how to properly save or post an image.
They always end up looking like this.

Sites like Facebook always shrink images and they turn out bad like this. Like, even high-res art will be artifacted.

You fish for attention every damned day.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Apr 6, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know a vegan debate led to the last thread's gassing but the combination of smugness and appalling food is irresistible

https://twitter.com/VeganRevoIution/status/592329814058639360

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know a vegan debate led to the last thread's gassing but the combination of smugness and appalling food is irresistible

Jesus loving christ. :barf:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Holy poo poo.

That page has to be satire. Please. Tell me it's satire :/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Vigilantes don’t have fragile self-esteem like members of a police union; vigilantes don’t constantly need to be told what a great job they are doing like government officers. You don’t find vigilantes patting each other on the back and calling each other “special” like secret police agents. Taking justice into your own frees society from all the sanctimony self-righteousness of law-enforcement bureaucrats.

This is a great LoB post right here, and this is my favorite part. Yeah man, those Secret Service agents, they're all complete pussies! Not like me and my boys at the bar, we'd set the world to rights!

e; loving cucumber on loving BEANS ON TOAST?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Roblo posted:

Holy poo poo.

That page has to be satire. Please. Tell me it's satire :/

It's gotta be

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

My favourite thing is how the cucumber is cut.

Also, the account is very Poe's Law. Vegan As gently caress guy was for real, maybe this guy is too. WHO KNOWS

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Would you Eat your Cousin?: Evolutionary Biology and Veganism

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
This is from a large facebook mommy group:

quote:

My husband just sent a video of our two year son to his female coworker. I have met her once, know absolutely nothing about her, and it made me super uncomfortable. I'm sorry but I don't think a person that he works with (especially a 35 year old woman who wants kids so badly but her boyfriend refuses to have one) should have a video of my son. She could be a Psycho path, a child molester. I believe you should never trust anyone except for close friends and family with videos and images and information about your children. Am I overreacting?

The craziest part, is that about 50% of the women responding do not think that she is overreacting. They think it's completely reasonable to assume that your husband's co-worker is a barren baby-crazy "Psycho path" who is out to steal her baby by seeing a video of him. About a third of them think that the real problem is that a man is friendly with a female co-worker.

Also, for all her concerns about privacy, she has her facebook profile set, so anyone can scroll through all the pictures of her and her kid. :doh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I show pictures and stuff of my kids to people at work all the time. The last time I was interesting in my own right was early or at best mid 20's, so I relate to the parent-aged set with cute kid pics/vids. It's normal as poo poo to share that kind of thing with friends and work acquaintances IMO.

I wish I could feel as passonately about anything on this dumb Earth as this guy does about gimmick DVD releases

Owlbear Camus has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Apr 6, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saying Poe's Law should be a bannable offense imho, ban yourself to show dedication to the cause, cc.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Staryberry posted:

This is from a large facebook mommy group:

The craziest part, is that about 50% of the women responding do not think that she is overreacting. They think it's completely reasonable to assume that your husband's co-worker is a barren baby-crazy "Psycho path" who is out to steal her baby by seeing a video of him.

God I wished my coworkers felt this way. They always want to show me (and everyone else) photos and vids of their kids and/or grandkids. I like my coworkers ok and want to get along, so I go along with it, but really, I don't give a poo poo what any of these people you sired/birthed look like. My boss goes one step further and shows photos of his cousins and distant relatives he "found" on Facebook.

Weirder still, I have a coworker that always wants to show me photos of himself from high school. Dude, you're 22. You don't really look any different now.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Otisburg posted:

You joke, but for our east asia lesson in eighth grade, my history teacher popped in Shogun and went back to grading papers.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

hyperhazard posted:

You joke, but for our east asia lesson in eighth grade, my history teacher popped in Shogun and went back to grading papers.

We got "The Last Samurai."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We watched hit film "Michael Collins" with Liam Neeson

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Saying Poe's Law should be a bannable offense imho, ban yourself to show dedication to the cause, cc.

:smith:

Otisburg posted:

I show pictures and stuff of my kids to people at work all the time. The last time I was interesting in my own right was early or at best mid 20's, so I relate to the parent-aged set with cute kid pics/vids. It's normal as poo poo to share that kind of thing with friends and work acquaintances IMO.

I wish I could feel as passonately about anything on this dumb Earth as this guy does about gimmick DVD releases

Jesus. He's really excited about that.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Karma Monkey posted:

God I wished my coworkers felt this way. They always want to show me (and everyone else) photos and vids of their kids and/or grandkids. I like my coworkers ok and want to get along, so I go along with it, but really, I don't give a poo poo what any of these people you sired/birthed look like. My boss goes one step further and shows photos of his cousins and distant relatives he "found" on Facebook.

Ugh loving BREEDERS and their CROTCHSPAWN amirite :rolleyes:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Silly Vegan. baked beans on toast are a breakfast food, not lunch.

Also, cucumbers on baked beans?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Madkal posted:

So USA schools never teach about the meat-grinder that was the Eastern front then.

We would never teach anything that would possibly paint Communist Russia as being on the right* side of anything.

(*right as in against Hitler but jfc communist Russia was awful to it's own people)

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
My vegan aunt and her husband are really good cooks and their food is so delicious. I don't know how they do it. However, her husband, bless his heart, posts violent animal torture and slaughter videos all day everyday and also poo poo about fluoride and contrails. Otherwise, he and I have the same politics. Which really makes me questions my politics.

You know, if the gore side of animal products didn't get me in animal science class it never will. And after the millionth sad cow video, I've become enured. No I'm not blocking him. He's my uncle and cool in other ways.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Weatherman posted:

I hate children for destroying a woman’s looks. Take a beautiful woman and make her pregnant - the next time you see her, you won’t recognize the lady behind the stretch marks and blubber. Take a nice set of breasts, and have the wench start lactating, and all that will remain of her boobs are sag and stretch marks. After a dame’s nipple has been sucked by some kid, you won’t be in any hurry to put the tit in your mouth.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You know them hats you think of when you think "sailor hat" like on the cracker jack box?

Unless you were in the Navy you probably don't even know that girl's couldn't wear them. But now they can, and people are SO MAD about HATS.

Public posts/pages so gently caress 'em.
:biotruths:

I for one am also furious over this increased uniformity in uniforms.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

13Pandora13 posted:

(*right as in against Hitler but jfc communist Russia was awful to it's own people)

Sounds like USA

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Otisburg posted:

You know them hats you think of when you think "sailor hat" like on the cracker jack box?

Unless you were in the Navy you probably don't even know that girl's couldn't wear them. But now they can, and people are SO MAD about HATS.

:byodood: HATS

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Otisburg posted:

I was in the Navy, people in the military will get angry about loving anything. Most uniforms don't have separate covers for men and women, it's not like the navy is breaking some new gender bending territory here.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Otisburg posted:

When the Marines did the test run of same uniforms a couple years back it was loving gorgeous and looked so much better in formation so I guess good for this guy for being so confused about his sexuality he can't tell who to be attracted to without clothing indicators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBcWCIG_liE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OK, so somebody breaks into your house, you get to kill them. Sure. But what if they break in while you're away and no one sees? How will you know who to kill? What if someone is caught embezzling? Who gets to kill them? Can it be me? If I see someone driving erratically and I think they're probably drunk, can I kill them? What if it turns out that they weren't drunk at all, they were just distracted because a bee flew into their car. Does that make me a murderer? Can their family come after me then? If their family does come to kill me, I can still defend myself, right? If I kill all of them before they can kill me, am I in the clear?

I mean, I love the concept, but I just want to make sure we have the details hammered out so I can be sure I'll be allowed to kill with impunity and no one will kill me we know that justice is being done.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Jesus loving christ. :barf:
It's just beans on toast. The chunks of cucumber are a bit weird, but hardly disgusting. :shrug:

Weatherman posted:

There's a pretty clear difference between "I'm not really interested in seeing pictures of my co-workers' kids" and "loving breeders should keep their stinking crotchspawn hidden away at all times so I can pretend they don't exist".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

13Pandora13 posted:

When the Marines did the test run of same uniforms a couple years back it was loving gorgeous and looked so much better in formation so I guess good for this guy for being so confused about his sexuality he can't tell who to be attracted to without clothing indicators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBcWCIG_liE

That does look slick AF.

Also lead me to a video called "USMC girl fight" that delivered just what was on the tin, so thanks for the new fetish, I guess.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Oh sweet good timing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you found wickedhate's blog?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I remember when I unirionically supported vigilante justice.

I was like loving 13 years old, my favorite comic book was The Punisher and I wanted to be a ninja and read books by this white guy Stephen K Hayes who claimed to have learned the secrets of ninjutsu in the orient, and wrote that ninja vigilantism was cool and good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Otisburg posted:

I remember when I unirionically supported vigilante justice.

I was like loving 13 years old, my favorite comic book was The Punisher and I wanted to be a ninja and read books by this white guy Stephen K Hayes who claimed to have learned the secrets of ninjutsu in the orient, and wrote that ninja vigilantism was cool and good.

I know a disturbing amount of people not only support vigilante justice but also think the mob was "really, really good. They were all good guys you know, they only hurt bad people". and thinks the mafia should take over and run all of America. Completely unironically. Also every single one of these people is fat and white and the closest they've come to any sort of actual crime was like, getting pulled over for speeding and getting a warning instead of a ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
See the mob had noble intentions and kept order not like the...thugs you see today.