Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

MrMojok posted:

Did they never show Kato on the stand, or did I just somehow miss or forget it?

Nope. Maybe there are deleted scenes? The actor got the first few eps and that was it. I think the last we saw of Kato at all was that jogging scene where strangers spout opposite reactions to his presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

I only knew about Johnnie Cochran from what South Park (and Book of Mormon) said, but my opinion of him has done a complete 180 watching this show. Johnnie Cochran is a loving miracle worker.

This was a big part of me losing interest in South Park, that and the Al Gore episode, Realizing that they were basically making up poo poo about people that offended their libertarian sensibilities to make them look bad really deflated the entire thing.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

NutritiousSnack posted:

That wasn't a look of guilt, that was a look of realizing his previous life is over and his friends are gone.

I know that. I was joking around.

That was an outstanding season. And I lived through the original trial. Even at age 13 (or 14? Maybe 15? I'm old and too lazy to do arithmetic) I remember how crazy this whole trial was, and every episode just brought me back to that insanity. This is what great writing is all about : we KNEW what would happen throughout every single episode and yet every single episode still had us on the edge of our seat.

This is the best show this year. I can't wait for the Katrina season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm disappointed that they didn't have Johnnie put on the knit cap in the show.

A+ defense, F- prosecution

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was there not a single person besides Kardashian that thought an "I Didn't Kill My Ex-Wife" Party was a bit bizarre?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Henchman of Santa posted:

Was there not a single person besides Kardashian that thought an "I Didn't Kill My Ex-Wife" Party was a bit bizarre?

AC looked a little disturbed by it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Poor OJ. :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Nah but really it's good that he is living a Hell on Earth.

The Goldman's reaction in the courtroom to them in the car hit like a ton of bricks, "What do we do now?"

And Kardashian mic dropping the bible was :sbahj:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone asked about that SNL sketch with Tim Meadows. You can find it here at number 15, along with many other things that would interest this thread:
http://www.avclub.com/article/enter-dancing-itos-22-bits-pop-culture-ephemera-in-220580

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of him as this.

Also Sterling Brown (Darden) is awesome and is apparently from my hometown/went to my high school. :respek:

MICDS? Look at rich kid over here!

(I may have attended one of your rival high schools...)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

MICDS? Look at rich kid over here!

(I may have attended one of your rival high schools...)

Heh, I was the poor kid in the rich school. You go to Burroughs? Chaminade?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I still say one of the more funnier scenes is OJ doing the exercise tape.

"Get it all the way down!"

"Feel it in the knees!"

Always makes me laugh

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the epilogue was a bit too long after the verdict, but overall yeah fantastic season

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

This was a big part of me losing interest in South Park, that and the Al Gore episode, Realizing that they were basically making up poo poo about people that offended their libertarian sensibilities to make them look bad really deflated the entire thing.

They were pretty gentle on Johnny. He's not the beacon of sincerity they presented

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the thing i keep coming back to is that if i were on the jury for oj, even if i was a time traveller from right now with all the extra knowledge i have, i'd absolutely 100% vote to acquit OJ

not because i don't think he did it, because he almost certainly did. but if there's a presumption of innocence on the defendant that the prosecution is tasked with disproving beyond a reasonable doubt, then man oh man did they do a bad loving job. literally all the evidence they presented and witnesses they called got reasonably thrown into question due to either procedural errors or the fact that they're all critically connected to fuhrman

and when fuhrman is literally on record as saying that he would plant evidence to arrest a "friend of the family", well, it's not hard to loving see that if he's willing to plant evidence to get one black man arrested than why wouldn't he do that for every black man he sees

especially when he's caught on record perjuring himself, then invokes the fifth on whether or not he planted evidence, it's hard to see him as a reliable witness and if he's connected to all the major evidence and crime scenes that throws everything and everywhere he was involved in in doubt

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Like a lot of the people in this thread I was in my teens when this happened. I was in 8th grade and I remember that Summer my Grandma came to visit and ALL she wanted to do was watch the trial. I remember when Kato was coming on the stand she was glued to his testimony. I seem to remember her talking about Mark Furmans racist comments as not that bad (mostly because she was a little racist herself). I remember that she was pretty incredulous when the Jury came back after only 4 hours of deliberation. This mini series was such a fascinating look into the trial and I'm really glad FX made it. I'm really sad that it's over, but cautiously excited for Season 2.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

the thing i keep coming back to is that if i were on the jury for oj, even if i was a time traveller from right now with all the extra knowledge i have, i'd absolutely 100% vote to acquit OJ

not because i don't think he did it, because he almost certainly did. but if there's a presumption of innocence on the defendant that the prosecution is tasked with disproving beyond a reasonable doubt, then man oh man did they do a bad loving job. literally all the evidence they presented and witnesses they called got reasonably thrown into question due to either procedural errors or the fact that they're all critically connected to fuhrman

and when fuhrman is literally on record as saying that he would plant evidence to arrest a "friend of the family", well, it's not hard to loving see that if he's willing to plant evidence to get one black man arrested than why wouldn't he do that for every black man he sees

especially when he's caught on record perjuring himself, then invokes the fifth on whether or not he planted evidence, it's hard to see him as a reliable witness and if he's connected to all the major evidence and crime scenes that throws everything and everywhere he was involved in in doubt

Except that the idea that so much evidence could be planted by one man so flawlessly strains the very fabric of reality.

I'd have endlessly resisted in deliberations until we get a hung jury.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

After ten months of being sequestered?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

in light of this, you still admit he 'almost certainly did' based on the overwhelming physical evidence, and yet you would vote to acquit.

anyway this was a great series and I can't wait for next season

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sash! posted:

Except that the idea that so much evidence could be planted by one man so flawlessly strains the very fabric of reality.

I'd have endlessly resisted in deliberations until we get a hung jury.

That's what I'd like to think of myself as well. But who knows what I'd do after being shut up in a hotel and under such stress for so long.

I do agree with the poster you quoted, at least somewhat. He very clearly was guilty, but the LAPD sucked so bad that they hamstrung the prosecution and the whole thing was a clusterfuck just itching for reasonable doubt. As for myself, I probably would have vacillated between thinking my doubt was reasonable (due to total incompetence on basically everybody's part) and unreasonable (because holy poo poo did he ever leave a pile of physical evidence).

It's interesting though. It could only have happened this way during this particular era in history. Transport the crime twenty years into the future or the past and he's convicted easily.

Edit: I'd also forgotten that Fuhrman pled the 5th when asked about planting evidence in this particular case. That's fuckin' bad. I'm sure OJ did it, but I'd bet that Fuhrman also planted or otherwise fooled with something in an illicit way, the stupid gently caress.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 7, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Tangentially related but Dick Wolf is making a Law & Order branded anthology series, the first season is about the Menendez Brothers:

http://deadline.com/2016/04/law-order-true-crime-anthology-series-the-menendez-brothers-murders-dick-wolf-nbc-1201733198/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AndrewP posted:

in light of this, you still admit he 'almost certainly did' based on the overwhelming physical evidence, and yet you would vote to acquit.

the whole basis of our court system is a presumption of innocence, not a presumption of neutrality

the question you really have to ask yourself is not whether or not he did it, but whether or not the prosecution provided a good enough argument that removes all reasonable doubt weighed against whether or not the defense provided a good enough argument that maintains plausible deniability.

neither side is "unbiased"; the prosecution is meant to present a biased case that the defendant did the crime for which they are accused. likewise, the defense is meant to present a biased case that the defendant did not in fact do the crime. essentially you're not really determining guilt, but saying "this side did their job better". the defense did an amazing job at introducing reasonable doubt to what should've been an open-and-shut case, but even regardless of that the prosecution did an especially poor job of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that OJ did his job

as a jury member you're supposed to sit on the jury completely and totally neutral and only judge the case based on the evidence presented regardless of information you might know beforehand. that's your job. the job isn't to go "Well I know he loving did it so I'm going to vote guilty", because 1) you can't actually ever know that and 2) that's counter to everything you're supposed to do as a member of the jury.

one of the jury members even said it during deliberations this episode - Can anyone say that the prosecution presented the case, beyond a reasonable doubt, that OJ murdered Nicole and Ron? Because I cannot forsee a scenario where I'm sitting on that jury in '95 and going "yes". I just can't. The prosecution did a spectacularly poor job presenting what should've been a slam dunk, and as a juror i'm obligated to presume innocence unless I'm presented a preponderance of evidence of guilt. Most-to-all of the evidence presented was shown to be tainted in some way, and the throughline of the organization that handled this case was one of the most horrifically racist ever that literally got caught on-camera beating a black man half to death, then somehow all being found not guilty due to what can only be adequately described as a conspiracy, makes it honestly not that hard to believe that they'd somehow all conspire to frame OJ. The LAPD has been and is ludicrously corrupt, so believing they'd all fall in line to "have it out" for a successful black man is not that hard to believe.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 7, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was hoping we would get a last scene of Cuba-as-OJ on surveillance footage robbing that one guy he thought stole from him in Vegas, but tonally that would have been difficult

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Please god let me get a goon jury if im ever on trial for double murder

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Just how much did Robert Kardassian say afterwards implying that he thought O.J. did it? I only did a very brief search but only found one quote of saying he had trouble with the blood evidence.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nobody knows, he kept more-or-less mum on the subject, never wrote a book, and died tragically young

It's pretty clear from the fact that he was very estranged from OJ in the years to follow, to the point where they stopped speaking, and as aforementioned he apocryphally turned away a deathbed phonecall from The Juice that he was pretty sure OJ did it

Marcia Clark also mentions how Robert sought her out in a restaurant, came up to her, said hi, and asked how she was doing. This was weeks before his death, when he was very seriously ill from terminal cancer. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that if he still thought OJ didn't do it he wouldn't waste what little time he had left making niceties with the architect for the court case that very nearly put your best friend in prison for life

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

And literally the only friend he did have in his life, right down to a magazine article about it (either Rolling Stone or Sports Illustrated, can't recall) about how they both made most of their livings at memorabilia autograph gigs, wound up being his robbery victim in Vegas.
I honestly forget that, Jesus

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Heh, I was the poor kid in the rich school. You go to Burroughs? Chaminade?

Same here, more or less. Won't be specific but I was in a school in the ABC sports league. Your school always killed us in tennis.

I too was waiting to see if they left in the clerk stuttering during the verdict. That always stuck in my mind so I'm glad they kept it. I don't think we watched it live in school, but our teacher told us pretty soon after. I distinctly remember him saying that this was the first time the St Louis Post Dispatch had put out an extra edition in decades. It was probably the last time, too.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I was 8 when this was going on and I remember them collecting the entire school in the library to have us watch the verdict. Only two times while I was in school did they pull everyone to watch a major event: the OJ verdict and 9/11. I can barely remember that far back but holy poo poo do I remember how people were just glued to their TVs during this trial. Absolutely nuts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Same here, more or less. Won't be specific but I was in a school in the ABC sports league. Your school always killed us in tennis.

I too was waiting to see if they left in the clerk stuttering during the verdict. That always stuck in my mind so I'm glad they kept it. I don't think we watched it live in school, but our teacher told us pretty soon after. I distinctly remember him saying that this was the first time the St Louis Post Dispatch had put out an extra edition in decades. It was probably the last time, too.

"Hi, I'm from St. Louis."

"Where did you go to high school?"

*falls over*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It never ceases to amaze me that OJ got put in jail for something like that in the end.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that OJ got put in jail for something like that in the end.

Really?

kills person -> wins criminal suit -> unsatisfied mourning family files civil suit -> loses* -> fails to pay up -> goes apeshit, finally.

*corollary: ego

I hope he rots.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, but after dodging life in prison you would have thought to a degree he would have kept his head down, not get caught robbing his friend with a gun over his own autographed stuff.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ego is a hell of a thing. Desperation, moreso.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Some details on season two:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-crime-story-season2-details-881282

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Someone remind me, when and why did Johnnie and co. turn against Shapiro?

Also, big ups to my man Rob Morrow for doing a great job in something for the first time since Northern Exposure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That last line is gold:

quote:

It’s unclear whether Bush will be a character, and if Travolta will play him.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Someone remind me, when and why did Johnnie and co. turn against Shapiro?

I don't really recall a specific turning point, as much as Johnnie slowly taking over OJ's defence with the successful race strategy, and Shapiro slowly being edged out through his own unsuccessful grandstanding and unwillingness to participate in the corrupt LAPD narrative.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shapiros law practice was in making nice with law enforcement and the prosecution, then taking high-profile cases that were prosecutorial slam dunks, then basically wheedling and cajoling his connections into cutting an easy plea that worked out for everyone involved. The defendant got minimum (or even no) jail time and the prosecution got a speedy conviction, and everyone walked away more or less satisfied

This went at natural cross purposes with a defense that consisted entirely of putting law enforcement and the systems that supported it, including the DA's office, on trial. Shapiro got lessened in focus partially out of his own desire to save his practice moving forward, because he desperately wanted the bridges that Cochran was setting fire to to remain unburnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Like wearing that LAPD solidarity pin to court

• Locked thread