Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Choco1980 posted:

Tell me he's got a fantastically silly name :allears:

Who, the monster? Why, that's the American Kaiju!

Or did you mean General Robert L. Maverick?

....oh God I just noticed that the soldier who got all the super-science shoved into him is named "Todd Ziller" holy poo poo that is beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Paper Kaiju posted:

I want to know more.

Basicly they took a guy and injected him with every single mutagen known to the Marvel U, from Gamma radiation, MGH, the super soldier serum, even the Lizard serum.
What resulted was this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Not laugh-out-loud funny, but I like this panel from the new Black Panther.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SilverSupernova posted:

Basicly they took a guy and injected him with every single mutagen known to the Marvel U, from Gamma radiation, MGH, the super soldier serum, even the Lizard serum.
What resulted was this.

"Your tax dollars at work".

God. Bless. America. :patriot:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SilverSupernova posted:

What resulted was this.

Is he also popping Nuke's pills? That would seem oddly appropriate.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Is he also popping Nuke's pills? That would seem oddly appropriate.

Almost certainly. They tried to fill the holes in Dr Erskine's formula with every other thing you get powers from in the MU.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

"Your tax dollars at work".

God. Bless. America. :patriot:

I would be 100% okay with my tax dollars funding this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Not laugh-out-loud funny, but I like this panel from the new Black Panther.

I sincerely believe the editor sent back the first draft with the note "Ta'nehisi, we can't literally have the first line of the song in the book"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I sincerely believe the editor sent back the first draft with the note "Ta'nehisi, we can't literally have the first line of the song in the book"

I totally understand the reference, obviously, but I think'd be cool if some explanation was put out there, you know, for the weirdos who don't get it, of which I definitely am not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I totally understand the reference, obviously, but I think'd be cool if some explanation was put out there, you know, for the weirdos who don't get it, of which I definitely am not.

"No one man should have all that power" is the first line of Power by Kanye West. And Coates explicitly called that out as a theme and touchstone for the arc in an interview.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

"No one man should have all that power" is the first line of Power by Kanye West. And Coates explicitly called that out as a theme and touchstone for the arc in an interview.

Hadn't read that interview yet. :sweatdrop:

edit: I mean, others probably haven't read it yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Coming of Superman 3

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

In superheroland, "maybe she's a robot" is not the craziest thing that could be running through your head. But there's got to be a less assholish way of checking.

It's Batman. Beneath the cowl is a terrified little boy that the sentient embodiment of Fear in the universe considers his main disciple on Earth.

I think it's interesting that for a dude who loves Batman so much, he wrote the dude as broken as he did. Outside of the one panel where he has a Sinestro ring forced on him, it's kinda the only honest depiction of Bruce.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am amused that Batman is paranoid enough to think that the woman he's seeing is a robot, but not enough to assume that someone building robot spies would spring for real hair. That's even the easiest part of real people to get!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Hadn't read that interview yet. :sweatdrop:

edit: I mean, others probably haven't read it yet.

From the Marvel thread.

quote:

JWG: You also sneak in a lot of cultural references, from Bob Marley to Jeru tha Damaja.

TNC: [Laughs] Yeah. The one paraphrased most often throughout the first arc is the idea that “no one man should have all that power.” I mean, it just makes sense to allude to Malcolm X, to Kanye, to Bob Marley. That’s what shaped me. I have to put that in there! As someone raised within a black literary and cultural tradition—that’s what I bring to bear.

I didn't see the Malcolm X or Marley references though.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Ashcans posted:

I am amused that Batman is paranoid enough to think that the woman he's seeing is a robot, but not enough to assume that someone building robot spies would spring for real hair. That's even the easiest part of real people to get!

I just hope there's a setting on his detector for robot hair.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you hate batman odyssey you have no soul.

It truly is a wonderful epic of dadaist Bat-madness. Every page is more demented and amazing than the last, but this one is probably my favourite.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Castle Radium posted:

It truly is a wonderful epic of dadaist Bat-madness. Every page is more demented and amazing than the last, but this one is probably my favourite.

It's a 15 out of 10 on the Doomguy face scale.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Batman: Odyssey

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 6, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Serious Frolicking posted:

If you hate batman odyssey you have no soul.

Agreed. But the reason to like it isn't because of good writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Don;t feel bad, talented or not I loathe Kanye and I enjoyed the book without knowing the reference.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Don;t feel bad, talented or not I loathe Kanye and I enjoyed the book without knowing the reference.

I guess every superhero need his theme music.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I guess every superhero need his theme music.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You can't just post that without the followup:

And a few more from the same run for good measure...

Incredible Hulk #84-86

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
House of M Hulk was pretty goddamn fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man Vision :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked that bit better when Brent Spiner did it for a decade.

I mean, I'm sure The Vision is a great book and all, but him going to 'beep-boop i am a robot man' is way less fun to me than how Waid's playing him in Avengers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You just know that if you listen to Hank Pym's theory long enough it becomes weird and racist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, I'm sure The Vision is a great book and all, but him going to 'beep-boop i am a robot man' is way less fun to me than how Waid's playing him in Avengers.

You're missing out on some prime horror material.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Gaz-L posted:

I also like to blow off loving great comics based on my terrible assumptions!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Post something to contradict, instead of stuff that reinforces it then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This isnt the curl up in a corner crying panels thread though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Stephen Strange also has a number of theories about free bodies. :pervert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm Thanos does look like a Skrull...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skrulls look like Thanos.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
His mom is a skrull.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if the real Thanos is locked in a closet somewhere and the guy we know is really a Skrull?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's obviously due to both the Skrulls we're familiar with and Thanos having Deviant DNA from the Celestials' grand experiments. Hank Pym is such a fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

prefect posted:

In superheroland, "maybe she's a robot" is not the craziest thing that could be running through your head. But there's got to be a less assholish way of checking.

True, and there are ways handling that without being paranoid, violent and abusive:

Invincible Iron Man #3