Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I wonder if it's even that much more efficient than just setting the timer on a thermostat.
Yeah I just imagine myself going to this place
http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-poo poo-that-doesnt-14309

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I wonder if it's even that much more efficient than just setting the timer on a thermostat.

It's not, but the number of people who actually bother to program their programmable thermostats is very small. The real win is getting a thermostat that automatically sets its own timer if the user doesn't know or doesn't care how to do it.

In other bubble news, Twitter just dropped an unspecified amount - probably in the hundreds of millions - for the right to stream Thursday Night Football.

They're doing this because investors demand revenue and user growth.

The games will be shown free. They won't even require you to sign up with a Twitter account.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Huh, I didn't realize the NFL had games on Thursday nights.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Gopher posted:

It's not, but the number of people who actually bother to program their programmable thermostats is very small. The real win is getting a thermostat that automatically sets its own timer if the user doesn't know or doesn't care how to do it.
Google Maps insists on automatically assigning me a workplace, even though I don't work. Then it constantly tells me how many minutes it is to my workplace. If you're going to infer, do a good job. How much weight do you give to the five days I was home with flu? How long does that enter into my thermostat average?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

everyone in this thread is posting about Yahoo while RealNetworks still has a derelict-looking building next to Safeco Field

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Space Gopher posted:

In other bubble news, Twitter just dropped an unspecified amount - probably in the hundreds of millions - for the right to stream Thursday Night Football.

They're doing this because investors demand revenue and user growth.

The games will be shown free. They won't even require you to sign up with a Twitter account.

Does Twitter even have a streaming solution that can handle millions of concurrent viewers? That isn't something you can just build in a few months.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Konstantin posted:

Does Twitter even have a streaming solution that can handle millions of concurrent viewers? That isn't something you can just build in a few months.

Akamai et al can probably offer stopgap solutions if whatever they have in-house doesnt work.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You now, I was just joking about The Idea Can thing where you pay for votes. But if people are willing to pay for leftovers they're probably willing to pay for votes too. The press release writes itself in like 5 minutes.

"We don't just give organizations and individuals a forum for ideas. Each idea is a force of nature and we provide a way to channel the idea in a productive and democratic manner.

Our suites of apps and services include customized platforms to gauge a communities needs and desires; a broad range of anonymous, customer-centric data analysis; even novel profit-sharing opportunities that empower individuals in creative ways.

We believe in the idea. We nurture the idea to its full potential. We allow the idea to translate and transcend cultural barriers. We make sure that the idea, can."

TLDR: We have a few superficially different vote-counting apps; collect and sell user data; and let people buy/sell/trade votes. For that last one we split the money with whoever paid to hold the vote in the first place.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Cicero posted:

There have been a bunch of these, I just read an article the other day about how many have struggled/shuttered.
fake edit:

http://www.eater.com/2016/3/31/11293260/airbnb-for-food-apps-eatwith-feastly
The idea that free to use Meetup.org, one of the successful tools that actually represents the best that the modern mobile web has to offer (the ability to easily find and meet up with people who share any number of a vast array of interests), is stealing the thunder of the REAL "sharing economy" wannabe food Airbnb's is somehow heart warming.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Konstantin posted:

The Periscope stuff probably scales. Maybe. They might also be rebranding someone's existing solution (Akamai, brightcove, whatever).

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Twitter is public, so it's more like they're worried (sanely) that their shrinking user base will mean slow death. But yeah, they need growth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do they get revenue from in-stream ads? I'd expect so, but I haven't thought about it very much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Subjunctive posted:

Do they get revenue from in-stream ads? I'd expect so, but I haven't thought about it very much.

yeah, they can run ads during the ad breaks just like a regular network would. that's definitely their monetizing strategy here, in addition to just cynically trying to boost registrations so they can make a number go up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

blugu64 posted:

The nest is an absolutely terrible thermostat. I had one, and it would never follow the schedule you set if you left it in its 'learning' mode. Even with that mode disabled it seems to only keep the house about 5 degrees on the wrong side of whatever you set.

One you disable that mode it becomes just a overpriced regular thermostat with wifi. Don't even get me started on their smoke detectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

corn in the bible posted:

yeah, they can run ads during the ad breaks just like a regular network would. that's definitely their monetizing strategy here, in addition to just cynically trying to boost registrations so they can make a number go up

In theory they could target those ads to different viewers based on the Twitter account demographics they have, but I'm skeptical that they're sophisticated enough (and could get the inventory) to do that sort of thing at this point. It would be pretty powerful for them if they managed, though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Emacs Headroom posted:

Twitter is public, so it's more like they're worried (sanely) that their shrinking user base will mean slow death. But yeah, they need growth.

Has Twitter made a single cent of profit in its whole existence?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

nope

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

icantfindaname posted:

They've had profitable quarters, yeah, I think including 15Q4.

(Those are "net of one time events" profits, I think, but they're what are reported on earnings calls.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

In theory they could target those ads to different viewers based on the Twitter account demographics they have, but I'm skeptical that they're sophisticated enough (and could get the inventory) to do that sort of thing at this point. It would be pretty powerful for them if they managed, though.

They'd need a new sales staff that doesn't piss off everyone who works with them and under-delivers constantly, but hey, then they wouldn't be Twitter.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
if someone put a Nest inside of an AirBnB home and use Uber to get there I think this entire thread would poo poo itself with the power of a thousand burning suns

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

icantfindaname posted:

I was going to say has amazon hasn't butseems to make a small profit despite being worlds biggest ecommerce site while at the same time being worse to work for them Wal-Mart.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sbaldrick posted:

I was going to say has amazon hasn't butseems to make a small profit despite being worlds biggest ecommerce site while at the same time being worse to work for them Wal-Mart.

Amazon reinvests everything because why wouldn't you, shareholders are greedy and stupid assholes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

computer parts posted:

Amazon reinvests everything because why wouldn't you, shareholders are greedy and stupid assholes.

Well, that and they can't keep delivering on their offerings without reinvesting into their infrastructure constantly.

Unfortunately they're getting less and less useful as they take on more and more Chinese knockoff sellers and it becomes difficult to find actual products.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, that and they can't keep delivering on their offerings without reinvesting into their infrastructure constantly.

Unfortunately they're getting less and less useful as they take on more and more Chinese knockoff sellers and it becomes difficult to find actual products.

How big is their retail vs prime, kindle, or (the real big dawg) AWS?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

And there are fools out there who want the whole internet of things to be a reality

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Wouldn't surprise me either if they just use the nfl.com system. Friend of mine is the network architect there and it's legit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughlander posted:

Wouldn't surprise me either if they just use the nfl.com system. Friend of mine is the network architect there and it's legit.

Yahoo would probably be willing to sell their infrastructure too.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Yahoo would probably be willing to sell their infrastructure too.

Yea, but I imagine Twitter actually wants their ads to play and their video to not randomly restart on people. Yahoo was never able to get both to happen at the same time on their service...

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Or they will use MLB infrastructure like HBO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ladies and gentlegoons, I give you Dispatch, makers of the self-driving delivery bot.

quote:

Robot delivery system "Carry," an autonomous driving vehicle created by South San Francisco startup Dispatch, is currently being tested on the campus of Menlo College.
Like an oversized paper shredder on wheels, it glides through the college campus, stopping to let people enter codes on a touch screen to unlock its compartments and remove packages.

Meet delivery robot Carry — a self-driving autonomous vehicle that uses GPS, cameras and lidar (a kind of laser-based radar) to navigate pedestrian walkways. The robot will build on its artificial intelligence to “learn” more about the world and where it can and can’t go.

South San Francisco startup Dispatch just scored a $2 million investment round led by Andreessen Horowitz to develop the bot.

“Because it’s autonomous, the operating cost is very low,” said Uriah Baalke, Dispatch co-founder and chief technology officer. “We see autonomous vehicles as the future infrastructure for deliveries from on-demand startups, retailers and others.”

While Amazon, Google and Wal-Mart pursue flying drones for last-mile deliveries, some much-smaller companies are quietly working on a simpler automated solution anchored on terra firma. Estonia’s Starship Technologies, started by former Skype engineers, is developing its own delivery bot. Domino’s Pizza recently unveiled DRU (Domino Robotic Unit), a pizza-delivery robot. A handful of other startups are hard at work.

But the ground-based delivery bots, which generally will stick to sidewalks, trundling along at a walking pace of about 2 to 4.5 mph, should be easier to accommodate legally than unmanned aircraft systems or self-driving cars.

Carry’s four compartments can each hold something the size of a large grocery bag, or can be combined for bigger parcels. Users can track its approach on their smartphones, get notified when it arrives and eventually will use the phones to unlock their compartment. The electric vehicle can run for 8 to 12 hours before it’s time to plug in; a recharge takes about four hours on standard power.

The nine-month-old Dispatch doesn’t yet have costs or a firm timeline in mind. Most likely it will contract with retailers and others to offer Carry’s services, rather than selling the actual device.

For now, Dispatch has produced two of the robots, each about 3 cubic feet in size. It’s testing them on the campuses of Menlo College and CSU Monterey Bay.

“The great thing about college campuses is that they are dynamic with bikes, skateboards, pedestrians,” said Dispatch CEO and co-founder Stav Braun. “It’s a great environment to train our system.”

I can see no way in which unleashing a 3-cu-foot robot unattended among a mass of people with a lot of free time on their hands could end badly. Menlo College itself is a business college, but there are a lot of drama-hungry geeks nearby.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If robots like this are unleashed on towns/cities where they're actually competing with professional human couriers, I don't see this thing lasting a week without an "accident". Not to mention all the people who will just think it's fun to gently caress with a robot/large corporation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Menlo College is about 5 blocks from me, I'm tempted to pop by and see if I can catch a glimpse.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can see no way in which unleashing a 3-cu-foot robot unattended among a mass of people with a lot of free time on their hands could end badly. Menlo College itself is a business college, but there are a lot of drama-hungry geeks nearby.

I think I see where you're going with this...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/hitchbot-robot-beheaded-philadelphia-feat/

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, something like this would need some sort of security system. Maybe if it gets disturbed, it could phone home to a human operator, who depending on the situation could give a verbal warning or use a nonlethal countermeasure like tear gas and notify police. You're allowed to use non-deadly force to protect your property, after all.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Please do not advocate for people to give their robots tear gas. It is not good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it should have a gun because self defense is in our constitution

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So who's liable when one of these dives into traffic?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People keep saying this, but I don't think it's going to matter. There's going to be a lot of resistance to this stuff and I'm sure a lot of these things will end up damaged or destroyed, but ultimately they're going to have cameras installed, "accidents" will be prosecuted, and people will settle down and let it happen. There's no way that a lot of small deliveries aren't automated in 5-10 years if the the technology to cheaply do so exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Paradoxish posted:

People keep saying this, but I don't think it's going to matter. There's going to be a lot of resistance to this stuff and I'm sure a lot of these things will end up damaged or destroyed, but ultimately they're going to have cameras installed, "accidents" will be prosecuted, and people will settle down and let it happen. There's no way that a lot of small deliveries aren't automated in 5-10 years if the the technology to cheaply do so exists.

I can't wait till someone roles out this tech outside a place with near perfect weather like SF, I can just imagine how it will work in a mid-western winter let alone a Canadian one.